Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Re: Bike theft, Newport Path station
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shoreline99 wrote:
My bike was stolen from the Newport Path station bike area.

It was secured with a medium security (not sure if bolt cutters would've been able to defeat it) u-lock, and the entire bike and cut lock was taken between the hours of 12pm and 10pm.

The area is a frequent target of thieves. Wish something could be done. The cameras around the Hoboken station seem to have much better coverage.

U-locks are next to useless and easily cut by bolt cutters. In the past, some U-Locks could even be pried open with the cap of a plastic pen.

A quick youtube search shows that u-locks are easy to defeat.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 17:49

Bike theft, Newport Path station

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/13 22:49
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
My bike was stolen from the Newport Path station bike area.

It was secured with a medium security (not sure if bolt cutters would've been able to defeat it) u-lock, and the entire bike and cut lock was taken between the hours of 12pm and 10pm.

The area is a frequent target of thieves. Wish something could be done. The cameras around the Hoboken station seem to have much better coverage.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 16:03

Re: What location was your bike stolen from (time, type of lock, etc)?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
TrackR is as crappy an idea as Tile: they rely (read, depend) on many, many people in their vicinity using the product app to achieve what their manufacturers call Crowd GPS (which is a fancy name for crowd sourced "GPS") but the problem is that if you truly lose a device in the middle of nowhere (say, you go hiking and drop your keys) there is nothing that Tile or TrackR can do for you, unless some other hiker happens to walk close enough to where you dropped the keys AND they have the Tile (or, TrackR) app running on their phones. The hype is completely unwarranted and what they promise (by omitting key details) is hogwash.

Posted on: 2016/10/15 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Ugh, should have done more homework before posting below. Bluetooth range seriously limited. Nope-

Posted on: 2016/10/15 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Anyone try this product for tracking a stolen bike?

http://www.neverlosestuff.com/car/?1=usd6&2=490019&3=478359231&4=7

Reviews from Amazon - 26% 1 Star

Posted on: 2016/10/15 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

No, but it's a clever idea, IMO. $29 and free shipping. But I read the link and here's the best deal: Buy 4 and get 4 more free. So that's $116 and we divide it 8 ways at $14.50 each. Who's in for the trial?

Posted on: 2016/10/15 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/15 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Bohdipooh wrote:
you really can't compare a krytonite u-lock to a kryptonite chain.

Why? You don't think the same grinder would make short work of the chain? If it were me I'd bring a vise-grip to hold the link still.

Any intelligent thief (yes, I know an oxymoron when I write one would go for the fastest/weakest link. So the answer depends on what lock and what chain. And just an observation that if you cut the chain you have to cut both sides to open it enough...

You beat me to the obvious answer. ;)

A chain link needs to be cut on both sides in order to actually break the chain, so that's double work right there.

Also, the matter of using a strong, harder to break chain is not a guarantee against theft, but no sane thief is going to waste his time struggling with a heavy chain when there are so many easy pickings that would require less effort. Ultimately, securing your bike is very much like the silly joke about what to do in the case of a zombie apocalypse (or a bear attack): you don't need to be the fastest to get away, you just have to be faster than the slowest person. That is, you don't have to be theft-proof, you just have to be harder to steal than others.

Posted on: 2016/7/2 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Bohdipooh wrote:

Why? You don't think the same grinder would make short work of the chain? If it were me I'd bring a vise-grip to hold the link still.

Any intelligent thief (yes, I know an oxymoron when I write one would go for the fastest/weakest link. So the answer depends on what lock and what chain. And just an observation that if you cut the chain you have to cut both sides to open it enough...

Posted on: 2016/7/1 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bohdipooh wrote:

Quote:

tern wrote:
It doesn't take 5 minutes, you can cut through any chain or lock with a mains powered angle grinder in 30 seconds maximum.

Maybe the portable grinders don't have the same oomph though, I have never tried a portable one.

Robin.

Don't have a cordless grinder, but my 18v Makita sawzall has all the power of a corded one, just can't go as long.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
And? we've come first circle.

Anything can be stolen.

Keep your Cervelo for Sunday and ride your Schwinn on Monday.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It doesn't take 5 minutes, you can cut through any chain or lock with a mains powered angle grinder in 30 seconds maximum.

Maybe the portable grinders don't have the same oomph though, I have never tried a portable one.

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Agreed that "if they want it, they'll take it" is alive and well, but you really can't compare a krytonite u-lock to a kryptonite chain.

In any case, one advantage of buying a Kryptonite product is the automatic insurance that comes with it. Read the fine print (its namesake city is specifically excluded!) but the thresholds are fairly high (~4K) and would easily cover the replacement of most bikes.

Be careful to not let Kryptonite insurance lull you into a false sense of security. There are a large number of exclusions in the fine print.

I had the same lock and I lost the keys while it was parked at the grove street path. I didn't want to wait to get another key from Kryptonite so I borrowed a heavy duty saw. It took about 5 minutes to break it. It was noisy and sparks were flying. This was in broad daylight with tons of people around including a cop. No one questioned me.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 15:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
That $30 kryptonite chain seems pretty cheap. Is it really up to the job, or is it good enough to deter all but the guys that would get your bike no matter what? (See the pic of the cut NY Lock I posted upthread)

My bike is definitely "no tears", probably why no one even bothers to look and see that it's a cylinder. My son's bike would have been like $800 new, and he'd be very sad to see it go.

This is what you want to buy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001 ... psc=1&smid=A2TKKVHTEM76PZ

Like I said earlier, it is heavy, even cumbersome, but no one is going to mess with your bike. Also, if your kid has a quick release wheel, have him remove it every time he locks the bike, and place it next to the frame and then run the chain through both wheels and the inside of the frame. In 5 years of locking my bike all over JC and NYC, never had any issues when doing it this way.

Buying based on your recommendation. Now recall that I had this for my 1st motorcycle almost a decade ago.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed that "if they want it, they'll take it" is alive and well, but you really can't compare a krytonite u-lock to a kryptonite chain.

In any case, one advantage of buying a Kryptonite product is the automatic insurance that comes with it. Read the fine print (its namesake city is specifically excluded!) but the thresholds are fairly high (~4K) and would easily cover the replacement of most bikes.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 10:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
This is what you want to buy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001 ... psc=1&smid=A2TKKVHTEM76PZ

Like I said earlier, it is heavy, even cumbersome, but no one is going to mess with your bike.

If they want, they'll take it. I'll repost this taken at Grove. Kryptonite NYC lock, cut through, presumably with a cordless grinder. To some extent, our locks are security theater.

Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/7/1 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
That $30 kryptonite chain seems pretty cheap. Is it really up to the job, or is it good enough to deter all but the guys that would get your bike no matter what? (See the pic of the cut NY Lock I posted upthread)

My bike is definitely "no tears", probably why no one even bothers to look and see that it's a cylinder. My son's bike would have been like $800 new, and he'd be very sad to see it go.

Like I said earlier, it is heavy, even cumbersome, but no one is going to mess with your bike. Also, if your kid has a quick release wheel, have him remove it every time he locks the bike, and place it next to the frame and then run the chain through both wheels and the inside of the frame. In 5 years of locking my bike all over JC and NYC, never had any issues when doing it this way.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was talking about the chain and you pick the lock to go with it. But if you you want the integrated lock/chain type then yes, that's about it. Shop around; a quick search showed that at $42. I've found it's a bit cheaper and more flexible to use separate lock and chain, but that's why they make chocolate and vanilla-

And Ditto with MikeyTBC about locking correctly to the frame and not having quick-release hubs unless ALL wheels are locked to the frame.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Once you decide on a lock, make sure your son knows how to use it.

I've seen so many bikes with expensive locks incorrectly secured.

Like, not even close. There is someone at my office that has a Evo mini-9 and uses it to fasten the rack to the front tire and one side of the fork...AND the bike has quick release tires. One day I'm going to find just the tire locked to the rack.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
That lock is 7mm chain with 4-sided links. But it's 3T steel and that's pretty tough stuff unless you've got some major bolt cutters.

Spend a little more and get 8mm 6-sided (Hex) Links. Even tougher to get a "bite" on with bolt cutters. That's what I use-

Do you mean the $62 Kryptonite Evolution 4, or is there something in between?

Posted on: 2016/6/30 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That lock is 7mm chain with 4-sided links. But it's 3T steel and that's pretty tough stuff unless you've got some major bolt cutters.

Spend a little more and get 8mm 6-sided (Hex) Links. Even tougher to get a "bite" on with bolt cutters. That's what I use-

Posted on: 2016/6/30 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2016/6/30 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I second the use of a heavy chain. I have a Kryptonite New York chain. Yes, it is expensive and super heavy (~10 lbs) but I leave my bike pretty much anywhere without ever worrying about it. If you are looking to save money, you can get the chain for about $70 from Amazon. I do like to support local businesses, but I got mine through Amazon as the discount was too much to pass up.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Just remember everyone.
- There is no such thing as a lock you can't pick
- There is no such think as a cable/chain/u-lock that can't be cut
- It's more about making it not worth the effort to steal, especially when there are other bikes around
- I highly recommend a "no tears" bike if you're going to be leaving it anywhere outside for more than a couple hours.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Great links. Second all that. About $63 and it'll be there where you left it-

Posted on: 2016/6/30 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
JCPD East District (Downtown plateau) just issued a warning that bike thefts are increasing, including thefts of bikes locked inside parking garages. They're urging cyclists to use bigger, better locks and/or keep bikes inside their homes when possible.

Do you have a handle on what's considered "good, better, best"? My son is shopping for a lock for his $400 bike. So it's seems crazy to spend $200 on a lock, and some of those are like 10 lbs!

FWIW, I've been locking my bike frequently at Grove for many years with a tubular cylinder lock, the kind proven pickable with a Bic pen. ???

frame and back wheel to post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kryptonite-Ke ... c29340:g:SCcAAOSw7aBVGEKC

front wheel to bike frame to post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kryptonite-Kr ... bf9c11:g:FL8AAOSwubRXLRG8

seat and rims

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunlite-Lock- ... 27b1ce:g:hFAAAOSwd0BVwA87

Posted on: 2016/6/30 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
JCPD East District (Downtown plateau) just issued a warning that bike thefts are increasing, including thefts of bikes locked inside parking garages. They're urging cyclists to use bigger, better locks and/or keep bikes inside their homes when possible.

Do you have a handle on what's considered "good, better, best"? My son is shopping for a lock for his $400 bike. So it's seems crazy to spend $200 on a lock, and some of those are like 10 lbs!

FWIW, I've been locking my bike frequently at Grove for many years with a tubular cylinder lock, the kind proven pickable with a Bic pen. ???

I had one of those cylinder locks years ago but missed the recall deadline for free replacement. So I tested it with a plastic straw and had it opened (silently at that) in about 10 seconds of wiggling the straw. Seriously, you've been lucky up to now...

I'm stunned by the number of expensive bikes I see with $20 cheapo locks. I ride bikes and mopeds and I basically lock with some thing a bolt cutter can't cut without a TON of effort and a lock that's "un-pickable". You can buy a decent hardened-steel chain and lock set on eBay for a wide range of prices. All pretty cheap compared to retail at any bike store. Personally, I'd rather carry the extra weight than have to walk home and buy a new bike. And if the bike is home, bring it inside!

Posted on: 2016/6/30 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

Posted on: 2016/6/30 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/30 17:13

Re: Bike Stolen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mam2149 wrote:
My bright orange and turquoise Fuji Feather fixie (with a flip-flop hub), size 52 cm (ct) was stolen on Tuesday night (6/21/16).

If anyone sees it around please let me know! (Pictured in my avatar image.)

Here's the Facebook post for it: https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post. ... 102481543239252&width=500

Thanks!

Saw a bike like this riden by a chick on marin Blvd by HOB/JC border, was spray painted red.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 16:36
ಠ_ಠ

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017