Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: What location was your bike stolen from (time, type of lock, etc)?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
Your bikes may turn up at local bike stores. A friend found his at Grove Street Bicycles. They only charged him $50, which is probably the cost of a tuneup.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 3:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/23 2:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Time for a decoy bike. Maybe even rig the bike with a death trap.

Death trap joking aside, I agree that it is time for some type of sting operation. Operation Bike Lane to Jail. There are ways to track bikes using hidden GPS units disguised as legitimate bicycle components, although they are relatively pricey ($150.00+ for each part.) Coles St. is obviously a favorite target here.

I understand the police are busy, and that there are more serious problems than bike theft in this city. However, we can't leave flagrant theft to go unnoticed. We need to make an example out of a few thieves so that they will understand you can't just take peoples' property. I'd even be willing to donate money/parts to get this going.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, thats how. Crime of opportunity I guess. Don't get me wrong I still feel bad and will be on the lookout but it's your baby never leave it unattended. Murphy's Law reigns here, plus you have to be carefull of other stuff in your garage that could have been stolen. Time to put political correctness aside and do a little profiling of rif-raf in your neighborhood. I am always suspect of new faces and always try to shield what is inside my property from being seen. Don't advertise your goods.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 13:04
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/16 13:56
From relocating w/i Jersey City ...
Group:
Registered Users
This was a brazen theft. The bike was unlocked ... BUUUuuut ... it was in my garage (off-street by 30-40 feet). PSE&G workers were all working on installing a new A/C unit 2 feet away from the garage -- literally 2 feet. The second that all THREE workers when into my crawlspace to check out the air handler for my A/C unit (ie, someone wasn't standing 2 feet from the bike), two guys ran in, grabbed the bike and took off. The PSE&G works than chased two two men (one on the bike -- no chance of catching on foot) for about two blocks before the contractors (middle-aged) ran out of steam to catch them. The described both thieves(one was apparently the lookout) as about 6" tall, slender, and African American. Cops responded immedaitely and circles all of downtown but I'm sure they had somewhere to hide-away the bike once the heat was down. Incredibly ballsy to steal a bike by walking 30-40 feet onto private property and knowing that 3 large (though middle-aged) men are less than 10 feet away. They had less than a 2-minute window when they were all at the crawlspace, at all other times, at least 1 or more of the workers was directly next to the bike.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Just curious how and where was the bike locked ? Also what brand and type of lock was used at time of the theft ?

Posted on: 2013/8/22 12:31

Bike stolen at 3rd and Coles on 8/21 in broad daylight

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/16 13:56
From relocating w/i Jersey City ...
Group:
Registered Users
My bike was just stolen today at 3rd & Coles in broad daylight at 1:30 pm (Wed, Aug 21). I'll spare all the details, but I'm offering a reward as follows:

? $100 cash reward for the safe return of the bike ? no questions asked
? $500 cash reward for information leading to the safe return of the bike and information that leads to the arrest and conviction (or plea) of the person who stole the bike in the first instance

Please call me at (609) 365-0505 or e-mail JCStolenBike@gmail.com if you have any information

Here's the flyer I've posted around town: ***link***

And pictures are here:

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/22 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Time for a decoy bike. Maybe even rig the bike with a death trap.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 11:09

Re: Bike ripped off on Coles St.

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Seems like the Coles Streer Bike Bandit is still at large. There's another recent thread about bike theft that identified Coles Street as a hot spot.

If you have a U lock or a chain lock, wrap it around the frame AND the rear wheel, so if a perp releases your rear wheel, it's still locked to the rack/rail/signpost. Also you can get anti theft bike bolts that come with a special "key" needed to tighten and loosen them. A perp with an Allen wrench will have no luck.

It was locked in this fashion, just with the front wheel. Next time I'll have two ulocks.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 23:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Parts of my bike were ripped off yesterday at 9th and Coles St. Approximately between 6-10 am. The front wheel and frame were ulocked (cheap masterlock.) The rear wheel, cog etc was lugged on, so they had a wrench. The thief also stole my headset. If anybody sees somebody riding one 700c deep v white rim, odds are i was mine. Nothing fs on CL so far. Oh well.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 23:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
This bike got taken two weeks ago. Location was Communipaw near Pacific.
Its not a good bike, but special to me.
If you see it around let me know.
Its frame is hand painted white with grey lugs.
red handlebars.
Non-matching pedals.
Steel wheels
WTB saddle
translucent grips
single gear.
The red crank arm in the picture is gone. its now silver like the other one.

http://selfpropelledcity.com/bikes/frankenbike1.jpg

Just having steel lugs makes it a keeper. Just curious how was it locked up and what was it locked up to ?

Well, that's why I say it was "taken" instead of "stolen" because it was leaning against the fence in front of my apt. and I was inside. And when I went back out, it was gone.

Anyway, thought I would relay a bit of good news in case it gives anyone else hope. I recovered my bike last week. I was driving with a friend down Pacific Ave. and took a double take when I saw my bike leaning against the wall of a bodega. I stopped the car and went next to the bike and waited for the "owner" to come out of the store.
We talked for a bit and I prefer to believe his story that he bought it from some friends for $20. Why else would he be riding a stolen bike just two blocks away from the location it was stolen from? So I actually gave him $20 to show I believed his story and didn't want to rip him off. I was also so happy to see my bike again I really didn't care about a few bucks. Someone sprayed some yellow paint on it so I'll repaint the frame soon.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Create your own bike bait outside a store with a surveillance camera - Negotiate with the shop owner to ensure their camera actually works

Posted on: 2013/8/19 13:29
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Seems like the Coles Streer Bike Bandit is still at large. There's another recent thread about bike theft that identified Coles Street as a hot spot.

If you have a U lock or a chain lock, wrap it around the frame AND the rear wheel, so if a perp releases your rear wheel, it's still locked to the rack/rail/signpost. Also you can get anti theft bike bolts that come with a special "key" needed to tighten and loosen them. A perp with an Allen wrench will have no luck.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 13:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you! If only you were walking by when it happened. It's just so frustrating that this type of petty crime is so frequent. I don't fault the pedestrians in the area for not saving my bike, I just can't believe that somebody would do it in broad daylight and nobody was around. It's nobody's fault but my own, although I couldn't watch it the entire time it was U-locked up. I should have gotten a separate lock for the back wheel.

Although, seeing as how the person could have stolen much more from the bike with the tools he/she had, maybe they were spooked and left.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slowwwwride wrote:
Yeah, pretty commonplace, not even worth mentioning. We should just acquiesce in it. Still, with the amount of joggers and baby walkers in the area, I'm surprised nobody questioned somebody working on a locked bike. Nobody works on a locked bike. I know it's JC, and bike theft is so commonplace that it's part of everyday life, but there has to be something we can do to catch these scumbags.

I agree with you and yes it is always worth mentioning. It seems that bike theft is a constant menace. I was using the "working on the bike" phrase as a figure of speech. I will always call a cop anytime I see someting fishy regarding a bike.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 12:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, pretty commonplace, not even worth mentioning. We should just acquiesce in it. Still, with the amount of joggers and baby walkers in the area, I'm surprised nobody questioned somebody working on a locked bike. Nobody works on a locked bike. I know it's JC, and bike theft is so commonplace that it's part of everyday life, but there has to be something we can do to catch these scumbags.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 11:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
So he basicaly stripped it with a simple allen wrench hex key. I guess the thief wanted to make it look like he was "working" on the bike. It's not even brazen anymore just common place. I wish there were cameras at every angle but then Big Bro would hover over us. Or just get a folder.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 11:43

Bike ripped off on Coles St.

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My bike was ripped off yesterday, 8/18 on Coles St., at the intersection of 9th and Coles, in broad daylight. The theft took place between the hours of 6:00 am and 9-10:00 am. Unfortunately the thief took the rear wheel and the headset off of my bicycle, and left it in pieces on the sidewalk. All of the parts taken were lugged on, meaning there were no quick release parts on the bike at all. This person used an allen wrench (hex key) and adjustable wrench to take the parts off, so odds are they were out looking for bikes to rip off.

I don't expect to recover anything, but I just wanted to let the community know that there's a thief in the area. Could be a pro, could be some punk kid. The stolen wheel is a 700c white deep v with black spokes. There is no serial number on the rim (it came as part of a cheap-o fixie from the internet) but it has a fairly-worn 700X28C tire on it, with a flip-flop hub. Again, I don't care about getting the rim back. I want this %^&*hole to get caught. Have a great day.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Red wrote:
I had another bike stolen last week. Worrying to see the number of mentions of Coles Street on here. In any case mine was stolen from my apartment building, outside my apartment door, Thursday July 18th between 7:15 and 8:30am. I am located on Coles & 1st. This is my bike:
http://www.target.com/p/schwinn-men-s ... bike-blue-28/-/A-13241180

I had fitted it with a child seat for my daughter (we never did get to ride it - the bike was two weeks old). The seat was on the rear and looked like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW74625 ... ild-Carrier/dp/B0018CX1AA

And a basket on the front:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001 ... o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I realize its a long shot - and I'm super late posting - but if anyone happens to see my bike I'd appreciate the heads up.

Thanks all

Coles Street does seem to be a pattern here. Three bikes were stolen from my bldg at 4th and Coles earlier this month. Today I saw a flier on 5th at Coles requesting the return of three different stolen bikes in exchange for dropping criminal charges. If you live on or near Coles, hide your kids, hide your bikes.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 3:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/28 0:58
Group:
Registered Users
I had another bike stolen last week. Worrying to see the number of mentions of Coles Street on here. In any case mine was stolen from my apartment building, outside my apartment door, Thursday July 18th between 7:15 and 8:30am. I am located on Coles & 1st. This is my bike:
http://www.target.com/p/schwinn-men-s ... bike-blue-28/-/A-13241180

I had fitted it with a child seat for my daughter (we never did get to ride it - the bike was two weeks old). The seat was on the rear and looked like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW74625 ... ild-Carrier/dp/B0018CX1AA

And a basket on the front:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001 ... o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I realize its a long shot - and I'm super late posting - but if anyone happens to see my bike I'd appreciate the heads up.

Thanks all

Posted on: 2013/7/25 3:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
If I went to any bike shop and saw my bike for sale, I would call the cops and wait for them at the store. the loss shouldn't be yours. They took the risk buying without proper documentation, the loss should be theirs. But I can't believe Grove Street plays that kind of game.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 22:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/11 16:32
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
If you see this blue adult tricycle (hard to miss) , please reach out to the JC East district at 201-547-5477 ext. 5408. Refer to case 17709-13 or ask for Officer C. Miller. Bike was stolen between Sunday afternoon and Monday afternoon on 8th street between Jersey Ave and Coles Street. I. Has a silver sticker on the frame.

Update: spotted in the past 48 hours by a resident who saw a young African american male (maybe 17 years old), riding this bike with 2 other kids.. heading east on 4th street between Coles and Jersey.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j20p7sjbkcd1hwh/20130521_204353.jpg

Posted on: 2013/7/24 18:26

Edited by Webmaster on 2013/7/25 3:15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
I'm curious as to how this exchange with your friend and his stolen bike from Grove St Bikes went down. I went in there a year ago to ask if I could trade in my old bike for a discount on a new one. I was told that they don't "deal" with used bikes, although I later learned that they do take old bikes and donate them AND give you $25 store credit towards a new bike purchase.

Oh, that?s news. In a recent almost-transaction at GSB, making the same inquiry about a bicycle that my wife purchased from the shop, a guy at the register with tattoos of a grenade on his leg and a hairy ball sack on his face could not have been less friendly or helpful. Little Mr. Something-to-Prove didn?t mention any of that.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Last year I was offered a deal on what looked like a Cannondale (tape & paint over) hybrid bike for $40 from a little street urchin at the Groove on Grove I was in a rush and could not report it.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I am also curious. Had a similar experience of being inside the store picking up some items and some dude walked in wanting to sell a used bike and he was sent away. They told him they don't buy used bikes. Something doesn't quite fit with that other story about them selling a stolen, used bike.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jumba72 wrote:
Quote:

MuffyZack wrote:
I'm sure this has been addressed as this thread has been going on for a while, but the corner of Jersey & Newark by the Optician / Crepe/Cookie shop seems like a veritable stolen bike shop now. I couldn't get over how many bikes were over there last weekend.
Those bikes look well-worn and are of poor quality. Doubt they've been stolen. I do have a friend who has bought his stolen bike back from Grove Street Bicycles. If you've had a decent bike stolen, might want to check there.

I'm curious as to how this exchange with your friend and his stolen bike from Grove St Bikes went down. I went in there a year ago to ask if I could trade in my old bike for a discount on a new one. I was told that they don't "deal" with used bikes, although I later learned that they do take old bikes and donate them AND give you $25 store credit towards a new bike purchase. I'd hope that they'd be smart enough to know that someone walking in with a higher-end used bike wouldn't typically accept such a low trade-in offer. For them to sell it back to the guy, just sounds weird.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 15:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MuffyZack wrote:
I'm sure this has been addressed as this thread has been going on for a while, but the corner of Jersey & Newark by the Optician / Crepe/Cookie shop seems like a veritable stolen bike shop now. I couldn't get over how many bikes were over there last weekend.
Those bikes look well-worn and are of poor quality. Doubt they've been stolen. I do have a friend who has bought his stolen bike back from Grove Street Bicycles. If you've had a decent bike stolen, might want to check there.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MuffyZack wrote:

So many complaints and opinions about this place and yet no one posts photos?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 3:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/1 9:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/10 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I saw someone riding a grey Bromton folding bike near the projects on Mongomery. The rider looked ragged left me to wonder how he could afford an expensive bike as such ? Anyone missing a Brompton ??

Posted on: 2013/7/8 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
This bike got taken two weeks ago. Location was Communipaw near Pacific.
Its not a good bike, but special to me.
If you see it around let me know.
Its frame is hand painted white with grey lugs.
red handlebars.
Non-matching pedals.
Steel wheels
WTB saddle
translucent grips
single gear.
The red crank arm in the picture is gone. its now silver like the other one.

http://selfpropelledcity.com/bikes/frankenbike1.jpg

Just having steel lugs makes it a keeper. Just curious how was it locked up and what was it locked up to ?

Posted on: 2013/7/8 13:37

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017