Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Re: What location was your bike stolen from (time, type of lock, etc)?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
This bike got taken two weeks ago. Location was Communipaw near Pacific.
Its not a good bike, but special to me.
If you see it around let me know.
Its frame is hand painted white with grey lugs.
red handlebars.
Non-matching pedals.
Steel wheels
WTB saddle
translucent grips
single gear.
The red crank arm in the picture is gone. its now silver like the other one.

http://selfpropelledcity.com/bikes/frankenbike1.jpg

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/8 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bear wrote:
To the owner of the yellow bike with wagon attachment always chained on East side of Barrow b/w Mercer and Wayne:

Check your lock, I caught a man using a blow torch to cut through it this morning. I asked him if it was his, I've seen this bike on the street and he wasn't the one riding it....when he saw me take out my phone he walked away.

Called the police, gave a description. Hope its still there....

If he was stealing it a blow tourch can cause a fire when not used properly. Did the police and fire department arrive in a timely fashion ?

Posted on: 2013/7/8 12:08
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/12 22:40
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
To the owner of the yellow bike with wagon attachment always chained on East side of Barrow b/w Mercer and Wayne:

Check your lock, I caught a man using a blow torch to cut through it this morning. I asked him if it was his, I've seen this bike on the street and he wasn't the one riding it....when he saw me take out my phone he walked away.

Called the police, gave a description. Hope its still there....

Posted on: 2013/7/7 13:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/21 0:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My wifes bike was chained to a fence on 9th street between coles and mommouth. It was a new specialized pink cruiser with a child seat and a basket.

-m

Posted on: 2013/6/3 18:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 0:02
Group:
Registered Users
Soooo. I just caught two kids trying to take a wheel off a bike on Fifth street down town- I yelled and one of them just took off running leaving his bike - the other stuck around - Spanish- curly bushy hair shoulder length- big nose - 20 years old or so- skinny about 5'8" he's on a fixed gear bike with a white back tire-
the one that took off was wearing all black I didn't get a good look - but I do have his bike in my hallway- yeah I'm guessing its stolen because he was quick to just run off-
if anyone has lost a fixed gear bike send me a note

Posted on: 2013/6/2 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I can't tell you how many seats I've had stolen. I have spares!

Posted on: 2013/5/31 19:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 15:02
From Hancock Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I think the idea with stealing seats is that you'll leave the bike there longer, possibly overnight, since you can't ride it. That gives the thefts a chance to work on the lock and eventually steal the whole thing. Just a theory my husband came up with after his seat was stolen too. He took the bike with him and had me pick him up in the car because he didn't want to leave the bike there any longer.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently, Hoboken is moving ahead with a bike sharing program. It's not the Citibike program, but social bikes. the soBi bikes, which have a basket, actually look more better than CitiBike. Let's hope SoBi gets a corporate sponsor to help defray the costs.

http://socialbicycles.com/#where

Posted on: 2013/5/31 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Neighbor said the Asian dude was in his late 20's.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I heard an interesting story today from a neighbor. He told me that he was with his young son at the basket ball courts in Hamilton Park last week. The neighbor was just standing by watching his kid while he held his large dog on a leash. A teenaged African American kid arrived on a bike, jumped off and left the bike laying there in the grass while he shot hoops. A little while later an Asian American dude and his girl walked by. The Asian dude saw the bike and stopped, staring at the bike. He soon realized that it was his bike which had been stolen a week earlier from his porch. He asked my neighbor if he knew who was riding it and he said yes and pointed at the kid. When the Asian dude asked the kid about the bike and where he had gotten it the kid and several of his friends started surrounding the dude and menacing him. My neighbor approached with his large, intimidating dog and the kids slowly dispersed. Needless to say the Asian dude left with HIS bike. My neighbor and his dog definitely got him out of a pinch and it was great he got his wheels back.

Great story, if it was in the Jersey I wouldn't have been able to distingush the two teenagers apart. That Asian kid should have grabed his bike and run well at least the adults with the dog saved the day. Maybe they'll make a movie out of it seeing that the script has the usual setting and characters in it. Kind of like boy meets girl boy looses girl boy gets girl in the end...except this time it's a bike.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 10:55
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
I enjoyed your ramblings and your self-riteous diatribes that sound good but lack substance as usual, fat-ass. Thanks for the much needed interjection about nothing. Enjoy the rest of your day.

My comments are opinions, just like yours - As a motorbike rider and cyclist, road sharing with bikes is dangerous and if you do any sort of research I'll bet that bikes are only frequently inuse by riders during warmer months (seasonal), during day-light savings and days void of wind, cold, snow or rain. Thus having so much money and infrustructure invested for a small pocket of society and limited times of the year is not cost effective.

What this city needs to accommodate bike rides, is specific paths and tracks away from any roads or streets that is for their exclusive use. We are a growing population and our roads are only going to be more busy and if cyclists what to 'ride to the conditions' then the road would be the most unsafest place for them in JC.

Our biggest infrustucture demand is better public transport not bike lanes on roads - Some of us don't ride bikes because of physical / mental inabilities or simply don't have anywhere to store them at home.

So you're advocating not having bike lanes due to fiscal conservatism? How much do you think it would cost the city to paint dedicated lanes on some of the more heavily trafficked roads? If you're concerned about the cost of the bike lanes, why are you also suggesting we have bike paths and tracks constructed at all? Are you really suggesting that you would rather have increased automobile congestion in our city? I would think air pollution would be a bigger risk to our lives than sharing the road with bicyclists. I think if more people rode their bicycles and took mass transportation the roads might actually be safer! I definitely agree with you regarding the need for increased public transportation. This city does a piss poor job at providing it's residents with acceptable means of public transportation. If we had bike lanes though, maybe the douchebags speeding down my street, driving 25mph over the speed limit might be more concerned about a possible manslaughter charge and slow the F down?

I'm advocating community safety and after living in the area for over 40 years I have a good understanding of our communities social driving habits in our little city - I would bet any money that shared bike lanes with vehicles will increase bike/car accidents and deaths. JC is littered with poor drivers, drivers with bad attitudes and drivers that have zero empathy for cyclists. Once you create bike lanes, kids will have a false sense of security and safety using them - Even you refer to some drivers as 'douchebags' and I concur, and as a motorcyclist I cop the same crap as cyclists but am able to speed away and have a better chance of avoiding 'douchebags'

Posted on: 2013/5/28 9:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I heard an interesting story today from a neighbor. He told me that he was with his young son at the basket ball courts in Hamilton Park last week. The neighbor was just standing by watching his kid while he held his large dog on a leash. A teenaged African American kid arrived on a bike, jumped off and left the bike laying there in the grass while he shot hoops. A little while later an Asian American dude and his girl walked by. The Asian dude saw the bike and stopped, staring at the bike. He soon realized that it was his bike which had been stolen a week earlier from his porch. He asked my neighbor if he knew who was riding it and he said yes and pointed at the kid. When the Asian dude asked the kid about the bike and where he had gotten it the kid and several of his friends started surrounding the dude and menacing him. My neighbor approached with his large, intimidating dog and the kids slowly dispersed. Needless to say the Asian dude left with HIS bike. My neighbor and his dog definitely got him out of a pinch and it was great he got his wheels back.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
I enjoyed your ramblings and your self-riteous diatribes that sound good but lack substance as usual, fat-ass. Thanks for the much needed interjection about nothing. Enjoy the rest of your day.

My comments are opinions, just like yours - As a motorbike rider and cyclist, road sharing with bikes is dangerous and if you do any sort of research I'll bet that bikes are only frequently inuse by riders during warmer months (seasonal), during day-light savings and days void of wind, cold, snow or rain. Thus having so much money and infrustructure invested for a small pocket of society and limited times of the year is not cost effective.

What this city needs to accommodate bike rides, is specific paths and tracks away from any roads or streets that is for their exclusive use. We are a growing population and our roads are only going to be more busy and if cyclists what to 'ride to the conditions' then the road would be the most unsafest place for them in JC.

Our biggest infrustucture demand is better public transport not bike lanes on roads - Some of us don't ride bikes because of physical / mental inabilities or simply don't have anywhere to store them at home.

So you're advocating not having bike lanes due to fiscal conservatism? How much do you think it would cost the city to paint dedicated lanes on some of the more heavily trafficked roads? If you're concerned about the cost of the bike lanes, why are you also suggesting we have bike paths and tracks constructed at all? Are you really suggesting that you would rather have increased automobile congestion in our city? I would think air pollution would be a bigger risk to our lives than sharing the road with bicyclists. I think if more people rode their bicycles and took mass transportation the roads might actually be safer! I definitely agree with you regarding the need for increased public transportation. This city does a piss poor job at providing it's residents with acceptable means of public transportation. If we had bike lanes though, maybe the douchebags speeding down my street, driving 25mph over the speed limit might be more concerned about a possible manslaughter charge and slow the F down?

Posted on: 2013/5/28 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/28 1:35
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Seagull - I agree that there should be bike programs. But I would note that the bike sharing program is available in some of the suburbs of Paris that are less bike friendly than JC - the streets are just too narrow. but people cope.

and if more people bicycled, then perhaps the city would build more lanes.

chicken or the egg

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I don't think the bike sharing program is imminent, but I think JC needs to start laying the foundation. If there are bikes available, many people will use them bike lane or no bikelane.

a bike sharing program has the potential to reduce commuting expenses for many significantly. plus no more having to carry my folding bike everyplace. i have more options!

I agree with everything you said. However, look at it from a sponsorship viewpoint. What company or entity is going to fund a bike program in such an bike-unfriendly city? That's all I'm saying. Hopefully the planned bike lanes will be implemented and a bike sharing program will be in our future.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think the bike sharing program is imminent, but I think JC needs to start laying the foundation. If there are bikes available, many people will use them bike lane or no bikelane.

a bike sharing program has the potential to reduce commuting expenses for many significantly. plus no more having to carry my folding bike everyplace. i have more options!

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Bike sharing and paths are a waste of time and money - Our culture and lifestyle is one of laziness and ease. Bike / Car sharing paths are really only used during peak periods while transport (cars/trucks/vans) use roads 24/7.

To change culture is difficult - Look at smoking, alcohol related violence, fast food reliance, lack of exercise, obesity issues in our youth and adults, gun control, drug use etc etc. Individuals can adapt to a bicycle culture, but the general public can not and all it does when we segerate bike and cars on our roads is cause road rage, accidents and lower traffic flows during peak times.

As a society we are self-serving and righteous whereas individuals, we can be tolerant, sharing and understanding

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry to see you didn't realize that I agreed with that sentiment from the beginning! However, I feel like you need to be more realistic. This is Jersey City, not New York. We have one bike lane currently. Until this city implements their planned bike lanes, we won't have a bike sharing program anytime soon. Small steps!

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
seagull, i'm glad that you are beginning to see the merits of smart growth. car and bike sharing and more mass transit would have numerous benefits.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Another rail tunnel! Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that earlier! You know what? I say we have both, my good man! In the spirit of CAN! One day, when we're both dead....it's gonna happen! Thanks for the laugh. ;)

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
well, the good thing is that there are many bikes around the PATH stations in Manhattan. Now, if there were some racks in JC and Hoboken (with a clustering around the PATH station), people would have a coveneint option for commuting. Or if there bikes on the west sode of the Hudson, this might encourage tourist to ride along the walkway along the Jersey side and discover another part of the metro area.

I'm not so sure that another bridge between Jersey and Manhattan makes sense since it would mean more traffic, but another rail tunnel. well, now, you're thinking smart!

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
With your logic, I look forward to the upcoming Jersey City bridge into manhattan. Then we can take our citibikes back and forth to work and we can all be happy! :D

Posted on: 2013/5/27 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
many said there was no point on building the light rail, or the highline. I prefer to focus on CAN

Posted on: 2013/5/27 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You think someone is going to sponsor a bike sharing program in a city that currently has one bike lane? I don't.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
bike lanes would be nice, but somehow I manage to get around without them

Posted on: 2013/5/26 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
1 more reason we should be part of the citibike program

You need bike lanes before you get a bike sharing program.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
1 more reason we should be part of the citibike program

Posted on: 2013/5/26 0:12

Bike theft downtown.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/25 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
There have been a lot of bicycle lefts recently downtown. I personally know of at least three people in the last week that have had their bikes stolen and a few other people have had their bikes stripped (NYC style- brake pads, fenders, wheels, even horns and grips).

In one case that I know of recently the thieves seemed particularly brazen, stealing an unlocked bike less than 10ft outside a place with people in it.

I know they busted that crew in Hoboken last year but this seems like it could be another organized gang of bike thieves.

Has anyone else had their bike stolen or stripped this Spring? If so, where? Maybe we can figure it out. JC cops are unlikely to give a shit.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 15:29

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017