Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

Re: What location was your bike stolen from (time, type of lock, etc)?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
. . . and now the helmet is BACK!! living on the edge!! but now it's 'locked' with a U-lock thru the front wheel. Why not drag it inside?

Posted on: 2011/9/6 3:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/22 14:41
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for the responses. The tandem was locked with a cable lock, outside a private residence on Halladay St near Layfayette Park.

Please do let me know if you see the bike, it was very important to us!

Posted on: 2011/9/5 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen a scroungy old ten speed locked to a street sign on 8th street on the way to Basic (yum!) for a few weeks now. Yestrday evening there was a bike helmet hanging on the handelbars; this morning NO helmet.
My bike stays with me.

Posted on: 2011/9/5 15:25

Re: Red Tandem 1970s Schwinn Bicycle Stolen -- REWARD!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
That really sucks. It would be pretty easy to spot, but I'm afraid they probably shipped it off to NYC.

You didn't buy that bike from a guy named Alex who moved to California a few years ago, did you?

Posted on: 2011/9/5 14:25

Re: Red Tandem 1970s Schwinn Bicycle Stolen -- REWARD!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I hate to hear stories like this, I treat bicycles with great respect. However just curious how & where was the bike secured and to what ? The area you mentioned is questionable and I as a bike owner/rider and life-long J.C. resident would be suspect of that neighborhood as in any other area of J.C. Bicycle thieves are lurking everywhere casing your domain. I'll keep a lookout it shouldn't be hard to spot a red tandem, should stand out among the rest. Check the area south of where the bike was snached as well as the projects around Ferris H.S. I saw a folding bike over by Ferris and I was told someone had theirs robbed just before that. I never saw the bike owner again to tell him though. Search the Craigslists ads too and do it even months from now when the trail has cooled down.

Posted on: 2011/9/5 14:12

Red Tandem 1970s Schwinn Bicycle Stolen -- REWARD!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/22 14:41
Group:
Registered Users
Greetings,

Our Red Tandem 1970s Schwinn Bicycle was stolen Sunday (9/4) evening outside a private residence near the intersection of Halladay and Johnston in the Layfayette Park neighborhood of Jersey City.

We are offering a reward for the bicycle. Please private message me if you have any information.

The bike is sentimentally valuable. It's also our main form of transport, we need it!

Thank you

Posted on: 2011/9/5 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
i spent about 600 bucks to build my bike exactly the way i want it about 4 years ago, and if i take it out for a ride it doesnt leave my sight. when i come back home it stays inside with me. i guess if i ever need to leave it somewhere outside for awhile or over night ill be buying a cheaper, expendable bike just for that purpose.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed that the U-bolt locks are a good compromise if you don't want to lug a heavy chain. They are slightly more limited than a chain in that you need a narrow pole or bike stand to attach them to, but they are very secure when used properly.

I have the "Brute Mini" from OnGuard, which is considered more secure than a standard U-bolt because it doesn't leave as much space for a thief to insert a pry bar. Of course, this makes attaching it to a thicker pole that much more difficult, but I find it's the most secure lock for its size. Mine also came with an additional cable that can be used to loop through the seat and front tire if necessary.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/4/20 18:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/20 21:51
Group:
Registered Users
I just had my bike taken last night from our backyard on Highland Ave and West Side Ave.

It is a silver really old racing bike (might have been Peugot, 20 years old probably) with a brown saddle. It has a little green pouch behind the saddle and a carrier in the back, which is rather thick aluminum. I don't remember the brand, never paid much attention to that. It has a racing handlebar where the black foam stuff is in pretty bad condition and is off in many places and brittle all over. The breaks attach on brown handles (or we) to the handlebar and there are no mudguards and no lights.
It was locked to the fence and a pole with a cable and padlock, suckers just cut through the lock. I assumed keeping it out of sight in a backyard would suffice, but I obviously erred. If anybody sees it, I would appreciate any tips if it was tossed anywhere.

looked like this without the accessories and with a carrier:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/4/20 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, you definitely could hurt yourself if you fell on the chain, but it's a small risk I'm willing to take in order to protect my bike. Yes, I agree if someone really wants your bike they'll get it...I just hope they plan ahead and have a gas powered diamond cutter in their back pocket + three minutes to spare to cut through it. Also, I could recommend this for those that don't want to lug around the chain: The real secure combination would be to loop the chain through the frame and back tire, and use the New York U-Lock to secure the front tire. That's a lot of security, and I find the chain works well on it's own if you're just stopping into a place for a few minutes. However, these products won't cover any hospital bills and lawyer fees when you return to find your bike thief still in the process of trying to steal your property and give him the good ol' fashioned ass kicking that he's deserved.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
if someone wants your bike bad enough they'll get it. using a new york lock (or 2) is perfectly good enough if you put it through around the seat tube and back wheel or even just the back wheel, cause no one can get the lock through that triangle with the wheel attached. then have another new york lock around the front wheel or a cable connect from the front wheel to the lock on the back wheel. those giant chains aren't fool proof and if you fall with one wrapped around you, you'll probably break your ribs.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
This is the ONLY lock you should use if you really value your investment, especially in an area with a reputation for bike theft. I know it's heavy and a pain to lug around (wear it around your waist or across your chest), but this thing is a beast of a chain and will protect your bike frame. If you have a half decent bicycle and know you're stopping somewhere while you're out, always lock your bike when you stop somewhere no matter how long you'll be inside! Make sure you lock your bicycle to something that is immovable and tall enough that it can't be hoisted over with the chain still attached (i.e. a telephone pole). Basically, your frame is safe if you use this lock, but handlebars, seat, and wheels are still not as secure and still susceptible to theft.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 17:56

Re: THEFT ALERT !!! STOLEN BICYCLE IN FRONT OF SUPREMO -- REWARD!!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chicachoojc wrote:
It happened within 120 seconds as I ran into the store. No it was not locked (yes, so stupid of me) but the bike was within the gated area w/ a security guard standing 5 feet away. We do have surveillance video on file.

I'm scared even when I do lock the bike up. When I go to Stop & Shop I always lock up the bike that area has more pedestrian traffic and the nicest weekday security guard there. The guard offered to "watch" my bike but I knew better plus I had the lock. Distractions can cause a turn of events. Did you have a lock and just got lazy ? I'll keep a lookout now that I know it's missing.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 14:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
It happened within 120 seconds as I ran into the store. No it was not locked (yes, so stupid of me) but the bike was within the gated area w/ a security guard standing 5 feet away. We do have surveillance video on file.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chicachoojc wrote:
WHITE SMALL FRAMED "SPECIALIZED SIRRUS" BICYCLE WAS STOLEN IN FRONT OF SUPREMO ON SATURDAY.
!!REWARD!!
BICYCLCE DETAILS:
STRAIGHT BAR W/ COMPUTER ATTACHMENT. SEAT & WHEEL LOCKS. SMALL FRAME.
CALL OR TEXT 917.374.8766 WITH ANY INFORMATION.
THANK YOU!!

How was it locked up and with what ? And if there was a lock how did they remove the bike ? Also how long were you in the store ?

Posted on: 2011/4/10 9:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Was it locked?
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2011/4/10 1:18

THEFT ALERT !!! STOLEN BICYCLE IN FRONT OF SUPREMO -- REWARD!!!!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
WHITE SMALL FRAMED "SPECIALIZED SIRRUS" BICYCLE WAS STOLEN IN FRONT OF SUPREMO ON SATURDAY.

!!REWARD!!

BICYCLCE DETAILS:

STRAIGHT BAR W/ COMPUTER ATTACHMENT. SEAT & WHEEL LOCKS. SMALL FRAME.

CALL OR TEXT 917.374.8766 WITH ANY INFORMATION.

THANK YOU!!

Posted on: 2011/4/10 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Seriously folks, do not use these spinning combination locks. No tools are needed to crack them in less that 30 seconds. Cable locks are always at risk for someone with cutters, but do yourself and only use keyed locks.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
zer0matrix01 wrote: posting for a friend who's bike was stolen last night..... Location: Corner of Grove St & York St. Specialized Crosstail Hybrid with a saddle bag locked to front of gate with Avenir Coil Combo. If anyone spots it or has info, please DM me or email: brian(dot)balahadia(at)gmail(dot)com
What a cruddy lock you used no wonder why the bike got stolen. I feel better knowing it was the cheap lock and not a wizard of a thief. Oh well sorry for your loss. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 22:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 22:00
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
posting for a friend who's bike was stolen last night..... Location: Corner of Grove St & York St. Specialized Crosstail Hybrid with a saddle bag locked to front of gate with Avenir Coil Combo. If anyone spots it or has info, please DM me or email: brian(dot)balahadia(at)gmail(dot)com

Posted on: 2010/10/4 18:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My bike wad stolen today from outside Made With Love on Jersey Avenue, it was locked to a meter so it was easy to pick it up and go because the chain was loose.

It is a very distinctive orange with the word Cannondale written in big letters in black - Mountain Bike. And it should still have the Kryptonite large chain hanging from the frame.

$100.00; reward for return of bike in good condition. post on this topic if you have information.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
jcindahouse said:
Quote:

We didn't have a serial number, but we DID have a key for a built in lock that worked as our proof.

Excellent point that may go unnoticed! Most (all?) bikes have serial numbers etched into the main body (usually underneath the down tube). It is very smart to keep this number written down somewhere, even if you don't ever think that your bike will be stolen. Alternatively, you may want to save / store the manuals or booklets that come with your bike, as the number is usually stored in there as a sticker affixed by whoever put together the bike. If your bike is ever reported stolen, having the serial number as part of your police report can make it possible for you to be reunited with your bike. Or, in the unlikely case in which you might spot your stolen bike somewhere, the serial number can aid in determining true ownership.

Congratulations in getting back your wheels!!

Posted on: 2010/9/11 11:59

Re: Unexpected Victory Lap!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcindahouse wrote:
Driving home today, not more than 2 1/2 blocks from my house, I saw what I thought was my husband's bike in front of a house. There were two bikes out and a couple guys hanging out on the stoop, but clearly not the folks who did the thieving. Did an "I'm so slick walking by while talking on the cell phone" walk by and confirmed some visual markers.

Called the police and waited for them to arrive while I tried to casually stake out the place. No one was going anywhere, and it felt kind of stupid not just going up and saying "Hey, do you mind if I ask where you got that bike?", but I guess you never know.

When the cops arrived, it was pretty clear they were NOT going to let me approach the guys on the stoop. We didn't have a serial number, but we DID have a key for a built in lock that worked as our proof. The guy who had it was an aficionado (who paid $125 for it on Ocean and Bayview; it retails for $500 so he had to know, right?). The front rack and child seat were gone, but he too had a key to the lock (that had been on the bike when it was taken.) He gave it back without a fuss. We offered a "finder's fee" to make up for some of his loss.

And my husband is out right now riding his newly found bike in a victory lap. Woo hoo!

Hip Hip hooray ! Finally a success story. I'm glad the cops came quick and that the guy gave up the bike willingly. With such a nice bicycle how did you let it go so easily ?? How and where was it locked up ?

Posted on: 2010/9/11 1:45

Unexpected Victory Lap!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/5 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
Driving home today, not more than 2 1/2 blocks from my house, I saw what I thought was my husband's bike in front of a house. There were two bikes out and a couple guys hanging out on the stoop, but clearly not the folks who did the thieving. Did an "I'm so slick walking by while talking on the cell phone" walk by and confirmed some visual markers.

Called the police and waited for them to arrive while I tried to casually stake out the place. No one was going anywhere, and it felt kind of stupid not just going up and saying "Hey, do you mind if I ask where you got that bike?", but I guess you never know.

When the cops arrived, it was pretty clear they were NOT going to let me approach the guys on the stoop. We didn't have a serial number, but we DID have a key for a built in lock that worked as our proof. The guy who had it was an aficionado (who paid $125 for it on Ocean and Bayview; it retails for $500 so he had to know, right?). The front rack and child seat were gone, but he too had a key to the lock (that had been on the bike when it was taken.) He gave it back without a fuss. We offered a "finder's fee" to make up for some of his loss.

And my husband is out right now riding his newly found bike in a victory lap. Woo hoo!

Posted on: 2010/9/11 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone lose their Rhino?

I found a stripped down bike on 8th St this morning tossed on the sidewalk. PM me with a description so I can get the remains back to whomever.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 10:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Texas wrote:
jcindahouse, sorry for your loss, but you should ALWAYS lock your bike even while it is inside your house especially a name brand one like yours . Yours new is valued at over 500 bucks and the front basket is European and valued online at 150 bucks. Check craigslist for your bike...it might turn up. Bikes and bike parts get stolen every day even right out in-front of the Grove St. PATH station.

You would think that after having 3 other bikes stolen you would have learned that you must lock your bike up even inside your house. Get a lock like one of these which come with theft protection. Grove St. Bikes downtown sells them:

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/product ... d=1001&scid=1002&pid=1169

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/OutletP ... d=1001&scid=1000&pid=1095

Texas is right about the chain locking. Bob Dylan said it best "when you ain't got nothin, you got nothin to loose" but you have something, something worth locking up and that means to triple lock, such the house door, chain lock, and bike to bike. All that fussing around makes noise they will eventually get the bikes but why not make it more time consuming for them, they might just get discouraged,...and leave.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 1:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
jcindahouse, sorry for your loss, but you should ALWAYS lock your bike even while it is inside your house especially a name brand one like yours . Yours new is valued at over 500 bucks and the front basket is European and valued online at 150 bucks. Check craigslist for your bike...it might turn up. Bikes and bike parts get stolen every day even right out in-front of the Grove St. PATH station.

You would think that after having 3 other bikes stolen you would have learned that you must lock your bike up even inside your house. Get a lock like one of these which come with theft protection. Grove St. Bikes downtown sells them:

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/product ... d=1001&scid=1002&pid=1169

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/OutletP ... d=1001&scid=1000&pid=1095

Posted on: 2010/8/16 20:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I had NO idea that this extensive topic existed!

We are between St. Peter's College and Lincoln Park.

This is something like the fourth time we've had a bike stolen from our enclosed sun room/porch. We stupidly forgot to lock the door after putting out the garbage. Once, someone jimmied a window and let themselves in. Only bikes have been taken... we have a snarling dog who I think scares off anyone thinking of coming through the main door into the house proper.

Last time, the bike was stolen on a Wednesday night. My husband took the day off work to buy a new one on Thursday. On Friday, we got a call from the bike shop where he had purchased bike #1 saying they had it. Apparently, a former copy saw some kids riding it. (The SAME one that was taken Saturday night!) It still had the child's seat on it! He gave them the money in his wallet for it ($80) and then, seeing the Eddie's Bikes sticker on it, returned it there.

Saturday, at about midnight, my husband was tipped off by our dog's crazy barking. He actually caught a glimpse of the guy's accomplice on a BMX. I think our second bike wasn't taken only because the rear wheel ring lock was engaged. Once I woke up and came down, a couple minutes later, I could still smell the f&*(ing idiot's CIGARETTE SMOKE! The towels that were draped on the bike to dry after a trip to the pool were thrown on the steps and he had ripped off the bar of the child's seat.

We called the police to file a report this time and they made it pretty clear that bike theft is recreational for these "yutes". They view any bike they can get their hands on as a 'community bike' and just go joy-riding until they dump it somewhere. It's not even like they are trying to sell them.

We were very tempted to just go driving around after the cops left to see if we could find someone riding it, but it was already 2 AM and our kids would be waking up at 7 AM, traumatic bike theft or no.

Makes me wanna slap their mammas!

Posted on: 2010/8/16 19:15

Stolen Bike Alert!

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My husband's bike was just stolen from our front porch!

He is absolutely LIVID and gave chase in the care- actually seeing the guy on Ocean Avenue about a half hour ago before losing him.

Bike is a Trek Allant with a Gamoh front porter rack and a grey kids seat on the back.
Resized Image

Resized Image

kids seat (without the yellow foam)
Resized Image

It's a pretty noticeable bike. If you see it, can you please call the JCPD- West Precinct at 201-547-5450 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting??????????????201-547-5450??????end_of_the_skype_highlighting with the location and a description of the rider if applicable.

ARGH!

and thanks!

Posted on: 2010/8/15 6:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It always seems to happen on Thursday night, I suspect it is those metal collector folks that drive around.

Nobody pays much attention to them throwing things in the back of their vans, we assume they are collecting more scap metal. They could easily carry round a big pair of bolt-croppers in the back and be stealing bikes and anything else they can find.

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 21:08

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017