Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: What location was your bike stolen from (time, type of lock, etc)?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/20 23:11
Group:
Registered Users
Edward's Steak House, cheap lock.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
saw the remnants of two cut (heavy duty) u -locks on the most eastern bike racks at Grove Street Path Plaza. fortunately have never had a Kryptonite U-Lock cut.

Quote:

tern wrote:
Has anyone had a decent lock (good quality D-lock or thick chain) cut in downtown Jersey City?

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone had a decent lock (good quality D-lock or thick chain) cut in downtown Jersey City?

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 0:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/30 19:22
Group:
Registered Users
My bike (red schwinn beach cruiser with baskets over the back wheels) was stolen from the entryway of my building (behind a locked front door).

Posted on: 2010/5/11 23:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/5 3:34
Group:
Registered Users
my bike was stolen tonight outside Grove St PATH. Only gone an hour and some low-budget ahole stole it. Cut the lock and was gone. Between 8pm and 9.30pm. I am super unhappy.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

healy wrote:
haha. You sympathize with a thief. A lowly piece of scum filled trash too lazy or too stupid to work and save for a bicycle. I highly doubt the bike is in better hands. Then again, i can't tell if you're being your dryly facetious self.
if your schadenfreude is real...

schadenfreude huh what am I, part of Hitler's brigade. I was being just as dryly facetious as you were. My initial reply to you was a serious one your reply seemed odd. I was more concerned about the bike than you were according to your reply, not the thief. I was just surveying the way the bike was secured knowing that it was robbed right from under your nose. No pun intended seeing that it was stored in your basement, unless you live in it. Good luck in either finding it or getting another one. I hope the thief slips in the snow with his stolen bike.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 15:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/17 21:15
Group:
Banned
haha. You sympathize with a thief. A lowly piece of scum filled trash too lazy or too stupid to work and save for a bicycle. I highly doubt the bike is in better hands. Then again, i can't tell if you're being your dryly facetious self.

if your schadenfreude is real...

Posted on: 2010/2/27 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

healy wrote:
Heights,

It's so hard for me to field your questions during this trying time. The feeling of being so violated in the very place where I rest my head and drink my beer has altered my life in a way I can't even begin to explain.

I had the bike locked against the chain link fence that surrounds the perimeter of our storage unit. Maybe the lock wasn't properly engaged as the lock was just left there, pretty much intact.

I have a few suspicions about who got down there. Then again, it could've been anyone. Our building is pretty tight, but it's not Fort Knox.

I hope I can reclaim the bike as I liked it very much. I'd at least replace the seat though as the thief probably has sullied it with their nasty gooch/grundle/nifkin/taint/etc. The seat was really cool, too. Handgrips would get replaced too. Maybe homeowner's insurance will cover it once a waiting period goes by... I have no clue.

In the meantime, and because I'm so traumatized by this heinous invasion of my space, I've found solace in my family's witchdoctor. He's counseled me in letting the elder souls take my pain away and we're doing a comprehensive shield and spear dance session.

If that doesn't work, Pappa Zombon has assured me his bone reading from the wing bones outside Hollywood Fried will identify the bandit at which point he'll cast a few spells on bastid.

I feel more for the bike than I do for you. I hope the bike is in better hands. Maybe you're afraid to admit that you gave the bike up to a loving couple who could nurture it more than you would, giving it a better life with nourishment so it may go on for miles and miles of happiness.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

healy wrote:

Pappa Zombon has assured me his bone reading from the wing bones outside Hollywood Fried will identify the bandit at which point he'll cast a few spells on bastid.

If you get any karmic points for being hilarious (and I believe you do), whoever took your bike is currently lying in a bed of fire ants covered in honey.

Seriously, hope you get it back (cootie-free).

Posted on: 2010/2/26 19:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Heights,

It's so hard for me to field your questions during this trying time. The feeling of being so violated in the very place where I rest my head and drink my beer has altered my life in a way I can't even begin to explain.

I had the bike locked against the chain link fence that surrounds the perimeter of our storage unit. Maybe the lock wasn't properly engaged as the lock was just left there, pretty much intact.

I have a few suspicions about who got down there. Then again, it could've been anyone. Our building is pretty tight, but it's not Fort Knox.

I hope I can reclaim the bike as I liked it very much. I'd at least replace the seat though as the thief probably has sullied it with their nasty gooch/grundle/nifkin/taint/etc. The seat was really cool, too. Handgrips would get replaced too. Maybe homeowner's insurance will cover it once a waiting period goes by... I have no clue.

In the meantime, and because I'm so traumatized by this heinous invasion of my space, I've found solace in my family's witchdoctor. He's counseled me in letting the elder souls take my pain away and we're doing a comprehensive shield and spear dance session.

If that doesn't work, Pappa Zombon has assured me his bone reading from the wing bones outside Hollywood Fried will identify the bandit at which point he'll cast a few spells on bastid.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
How was it extracted from your basement, better yet how and who got into the basement ? What means did you use to secure it ? And when you do replace the bike what will you do different to prevent the violation ?

Posted on: 2010/2/26 12:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
If anyone sees a tan/coffee-with-cream MASI hybrid lingering around, please contact me. The bike is not common, so if it's spotted, it's probably mine.

Stolen from my building's basement.

I don't know if the thieves check this forum. If they do, I'm screwed as that bike is now some other color.

Thanks,
Rob

Posted on: 2010/2/26 4:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Heights asked:
Quote:

How much were the shipping charges ? You could have gone to Grove Street Bikes when they had their one day Black Friday 25% off sale and bought the stronger NY lock for I believe $95. Why wait for delivery so the thieves can take your bike when you can spend at a local bike shop and instantly secure the bike.

For the most part, shipping is free through Amazon.com when orders total $25, or more, and that was certainly the case with my order of the Kryptonite chain.

Of course, I could have gotten a nice discount on Black Friday at Grove Street Bycicles, but if I have to wait until Black Friday of every year to make my bike-related purchases, I will be waiting much longer than the 3 to 5 days it takes to get my stuff delivered from Amazon. Regardless, I patronize Grove Street Bikes for most of my other immediate needs, and they are my first stop when I need to find something that is bike-related, hence my exhortation to support our LBS. In the case of a Kryptonite chain, the price I paid (more than 40% below list, no shipping charges and no sales tax) was simply too much of a savings to pass it up.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
With regards to the Kryptonite chains and locks, I finally bit the bullet and bought one early last year after having my commuting bike stolen in NYC while at work. They ARE expensive, but you can score great deals through Amazon.com. I know I should encourage you to support our LBS (and, please, DO!) but when it comes to bike chains the price differential is HUGE so take that into consideration when choosing where to purchase one.

I got the 3.25 ft. (100 cm) Kryptonite New York chain and, while heavy, it is OK for commuting and it definitely inspires confidence. I paid less than $63 (it retails for 100!) while the stronger (and heavier) New York Fahgettaboudit (same length) retails for $83.

Here are the amazon.com links:
New York Chain (Kryptonite 1210, 3.25 ft, 8 lbs.)

New York Fahgettaboutit (Kryptonite 1410, 3.25 ft, 11 lbs.)

There is a special place in hell reserved for bike thieves. For many of us, bikes are part of our daily lives, used for commuting, exercise and/or as our primary form of transportation around town. Losing a bike to theft is specially upsetting, as most thieves are simply looking to unload them right away and they only score a few bucks per bike. What a waste!

How much were the shipping charges ? You could have gone to Grove Street Bikes when they had their one day Black Friday 25% off sale and bought the stronger NY lock for I believe $95. Why wait for delivery so the thieves can take your bike when you can spend at a local bike shop and instantly secure the bike.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
With regards to the Kryptonite chains and locks, I finally bit the bullet and bought one early last year after having my commuting bike stolen in NYC while at work. They ARE expensive, but you can score great deals through Amazon.com. I know I should encourage you to support our LBS (and, please, DO!) but when it comes to bike chains the price differential is HUGE so take that into consideration when choosing where to purchase one.

I got the 3.25 ft. (100 cm) Kryptonite New York chain and, while heavy, it is OK for commuting and it definitely inspires confidence. I paid less than $63 (it retails for 100!) while the stronger (and heavier) New York Fahgettaboudit (same length) retails for $83.

Here are the amazon.com links:
New York Chain (Kryptonite 1210, 3.25 ft, 8 lbs.)

New York Fahgettaboutit (Kryptonite 1410, 3.25 ft, 11 lbs.)

There is a special place in hell reserved for bike thieves. For many of us, bikes are part of our daily lives, used for commuting, exercise and/or as our primary form of transportation around town. Losing a bike to theft is specially upsetting, as most thieves are simply looking to unload them right away and they only score a few bucks per bike. What a waste!

Posted on: 2010/2/3 16:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
unfortunately any lock can be cut with the proper tool. The only one that is difficult to cut and does insure your bike if it is cut is the $120 kryptonight chain that weighs 12lbs. expensive and heavy... I've been bringing my bike inside my apartment, it sucks but its the only way i'll be able to keep it.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 5:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/24 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
They must made a lot of noise cutting a chain, amazing nobody noticed in such a busy area.

Robin.

It looked like a pretty clean cut to me, the kind that you do with a wire cutter.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 18:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There were two bikes there. One was mine with an el-cheapo lock which was stolen earlier. The other was someone else's, presumably my neighbour's, which was stolen last night. It had a better lock on it but I don't know what brand.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 18:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/7 17:54
Group:
Registered Users
When MY bike was stolen - I had a cheapo chain cause I am an idiot - not insured - but my rental insurance covered a portion. I have since graduated to a ulock on my shit bike I use to back up the nice one that went away. The chain I saw on the ground this morning on grove and york I think was a kryptonite chain. But the guy above Im sure knows better than I.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jac wrote:
I saw that lock lying on the ground on my way to work this morning. Cut through the krypto chain. Having had a chain cut and bike stolen of my own earlier last year - I actually wondered why it hadnt been stolen sooner every time i walked by it. Those chains do us no good in that city. :( Sorry dude.

Can you state the exact chain/lock you used ? Because Kryptonite guarrantes thier lock not to be cut. If it is cut then they will back up their warranty with X amount of dollars for the value of the bike.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
They must made a lot of noise cutting a chain, amazing nobody noticed in such a busy area.

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 17:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/7 17:54
Group:
Registered Users
I saw that lock lying on the ground on my way to work this morning. Cut through the krypto chain. Having had a chain cut and bike stolen of my own earlier last year - I actually wondered why it hadnt been stolen sooner every time i walked by it. Those chains do us no good in that city. :( Sorry dude.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 17:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I recently moved to a new apartment on Grove St/York St. I had my gray Gary Fischer mountain bike locked outside temporarily while I finished up the move and it was stolen on the night of 1/30/2010.

There was another bike locked at the same place which was also stolen last night 2/1/2010. I saw the lock cut off lying on the ground.

B***ards!

Posted on: 2010/2/2 14:46

Re: Another Bicycle Stolen in Daylight

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/8 12:45
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks mens.

Yup, was me bike. New gears, dented basket on the left hand side on the front. Only the left metal pole held up the basket...the right side fell off...Lots of pirate and Halloween stickers. Back basket rack and some scratches on the left front side. They stole my sticker collection =(

*cry*

Posted on: 2009/10/8 12:47

Another Bicycle Stolen in Daylight
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/24 3:13
From Wayne Wayne Wayne
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Wayne Street between Jersey and Varick. A female friend of mine had chained her purple bicycle with a basket to my gate and came inside for lunch. Whilst lunching, less than an hour, she found her bicycle stolen, the lock popped. This was Friday, between 1-1.30 pm. WHO HAS THE GALL?

More than just curious.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 2:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/16 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
I lived in Jersey City a long time. I have never had a bike stolen, or even a car.

I was mugged about 4 years ago, for the first time ever. I used to live in new york city, before that too became too expensive.

My friend shared a funny story with me. He grew up downtown, way before down town had a "hip" forum discussion attached to it..lol

He was so desperate to get a new bike, that he purposely left out on the "bad side " of the block, in order to have it stolen. Needless to say, his plan failed, and his dad, retrieved the bike, all the while saying, "hey, we found your bike!"

Posted on: 2009/9/10 6:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
There has been a bike chained and locked around our tree for a week now. No one has moved it or claimed it. Is there someplace this can be reported to, so they can saw off the chain and impound the bike? I don't know if police handles this sort of thing.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 23:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 0:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ninasdogwalk wrote:
I haven't had my bike stolen but I did have my front tire slashed just yesterday. The slash had to be at least 2 feet long. It happened on Steuben St right near the Path station, however my observation has been that on Newark ave right by Jersey Ave for at least 10 months someone has been selling used bikes for really cheap.
I've noticed that at times it's 1 bike sometimes 3 or 4 on 2 different corners locked with a makeshift sign with a price and phone number.
What I find odd is that I'm always seeing different bikes and some have been covered or disguised with reflective tape. I can't help but wonder if these bikes are stolen. I see too many differentt ones all the time except for lately. I'm guessing that it's due to all of the sidewalk construction and police presence in that area.

So, what does one do about notifying the authorities about the shifty business happening on Steuben and Jersey Avenues anyway? It isn't any wonder it's that blatant, hell, it certainly isn't very hard to trace how car's get stolen around here either. They stole my shitty 95 Saturn three times. I also don't think they travel very far to turn them over. It pretty much happens before our eyes, goes on and on.. .
but if someone were to steal my bike. .
i would lose it. there would be hell to pay. . . giving up my car was the best thing i ever did. Jersey City can't get my money anymore, well at least not on my car!!

Posted on: 2009/9/7 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
in the Exchange Place / Harborside area, some sidewalks that appear to be public is claimed to be private property by building maintenance / security and your locked bike may be further secured by them and subsequently removed. note that there is no signage warning that the area is private property.

among our successful (to date) precautions are Kryptonite lock secured to fixed / strong metal object, lock and/or cable thru wheels and seat secured by cable to frame (though thin enough to cut) in a visible location. there have been times in the past, where we have used three u-locks per bike.....

I am confident that with some research there are public policy initiatives that could help the situation. we also need a fair and effective abandoned bike policy for high use areas.

a pet peeve, please do not lock your bike to young trees.

Quote:

Mag wrote:
Blue men's 26inch bike locked up at the bike racks between Exchange Place PATH and the Hyatt a few weeks ago. Taken between 8am and 4pm. Bike and lock gone. The next day there was a snipped lock on the ground in the same spot - assumed it was cut and the bike that was locked up taken. No longer leave my new bike locked outside - take it in at home and bring it up to my office. Although I do briefly lock it outside Club H gym.

Posted on: 2009/9/5 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was watching PBS Masterpiece Mystery. It was set in present day Oxford and there were bikes left all over town, unlocked. If only . . . .

Posted on: 2009/9/5 21:09
I live by the river.

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017