Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Re: What location was your bike stolen from (time, type of lock, etc)?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
seriously. i really dont know why you guys would leave a nice bike out at night of all days even it's double locked. take a cue from NYC. the ones that are left idling locked are the old and near rusted bikes.

thieves nowadays are clever and 5 steps ahead of you... always.

Posted on: 2009/9/5 14:05

stolen bike
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 12:59
Group:
Registered Users
Bike taken from vestibule today at between 5:15 and 6:30. Red Peugot racer 10 spped, white taping on handlebars. Love to hear from anyone who happens to spot it however unlikely that is.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/9/4 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/8/26 16:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/7 17:54
Group:
Registered Users
I had a 08' silver cannondale f7 stolen from outside skinners loft on a friday night at midnight two weeks ago. It had a combo lock - the theifs clipped it and left it there on the side walk. Pretty heartbroken over it.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Please read the following and distribute to all community members, neighbors, family and friends.

The East District is currently experiencing a spike in bicycle thefts. As a reminder, chaining your bike alone will not insure your bike will not be stolen. We encourage and suggest bike owners/riders, not to leave bicycles unattended for any period of time outdoors. We also encourage bike owners/riders to secure their bike(s) in their home when not in use - this does not in clude hallways, garages, common areas, etc...

In addition to the above, please have the serial number, photo, description, make and model of each bicycle in a secure place as this helps with reporting bicycle theft and hopefully recovery and returning of.

If anyone has information regarding incidents involving bicycle theft, please contact me, P.O. Dina Reilly, at 201-547-4370.

P.O. Dina Reilly
Jersey City Police Department
East District Community Relations Officer

Also, a thief broke into the parking garage at the Schroeder Lofts and took a bicycle. He was videotaped from multiple angles. Idiot.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 17:35
I live by the river.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/2 12:48
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Blue men's 26inch bike locked up at the bike racks between Exchange Place PATH and the Hyatt a few weeks ago. Taken between 8am and 4pm. Bike and lock gone. The next day there was a snipped lock on the ground in the same spot - assumed it was cut and the bike that was locked up taken. No longer leave my new bike locked outside - take it in at home and bring it up to my office. Although I do briefly lock it outside Club H gym.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 13:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/14 20:20
From Chilltown Baby!
Group:
Registered Users
Hello people,
Just a little word of advice. Downtoen has changed but there are element downtown that will still commit a lot of these petty crimes. I personally used to be one of the element years ago when i was a child that would create mischief or take a bike here and there. SHAME ON ME....but take my word for it..dont park your bikes unattended or in areas where there isnt a lot of traffic.

I grew up when you couldnt even ride your bike in the vanvorst area because it would be taken off of you. take my advice...dont assume a change in scenery is a change in people...

I also noticed some people lost their bikes in areas where there are projects or housing....Not a coincidence

SORRY FOR YOUR LOSSES

Posted on: 2009/7/29 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
our two bikes were chain locked inside our fence / gate and it was sawed thru and the bikes were stolen last night between 11 pm and 6 am this morning.

people are lame.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 2:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/24 4:31
From Da Heightz
Group:
Registered Users
My bike was stolen outside Marion Gardens Projects i stopped there for 1 minute to pick something up and i turned around and my bike was missing.The brand was Specialized . 26 in mountain bike chrome

Posted on: 2009/7/5 9:31

Bike Found - McGinley Square/Journal Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Bike Found Tonight - McGinley Square/Journal Square

It's a huffy, missing hand grips but has handlebar end caps, regular non rapid fire shifters, back rack, probably a Large or XL sized frame, 26inch wheels. If you are missing a bike like this, tell me the color and any other details and we can arrange to reunite you with your bike, or else it goes to the JCPD this week.

Two kids were riding very quickly on Summit Ave past my apartment (one on this bike, one on a BMX) when one of the kids yelled "I can't rid this f'n bike anymore" then jumped off and left it in front of my place. I called the JCPD but my phone reception is awful here (magic jack and it runs on wi-fi) so I'm going to have to call tomorrow unfortunately since I don't have a working cell phone.

The bike is in my building currently as they abandonned it outside and returned later on looking for it.

If this was your bike and you were robbed of it I can also identify these kids as I've seen them in my neighborhood before.

I hope this helps someone out!

Posted on: 2009/7/5 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alanwright wrote:

So the janitor has your $1200 bike? And his son has your son's bike.

And this because of some non-registration issue? That's terrible. I'm sure there were hundreds and hundreds of unregistered bicycles laying around, cluttering up the space that needed to be removed because some crackpot scheme the building management planned for that room. Terrible.

Completely agree - building management even tried to blame other tenants who had moved out, saying they probably took my bike. They also claimed they never disposed of any bikes - only threatened to do so to encourage compliance. Given the very weak position I was negotiating from, I thought I did the best I could. But it still sucked and was one of the many reasons the day we moved out of Liberty Towers was one of the happier days of my life.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
If you must run in a store and do not have a bike lock this trick works really well.

Shift into the bike's lowest gears (easiest to pedal) and loosen the back wheel. The thief will jump on the bike and even if he/she spins at 200rpm they won't get far at all (and if by chance they do the back wheel will fall off). Just remember to re tighten when you get back on the bike.

I caught a young punk 10 seconds after leaning my bike to go into a store in Hoboken. He was shocked when trying to pedal and wasn't going anywhere. I grabbed him and he said "hey man I only wanted to test ride it."

Posted on: 2009/7/4 13:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/16 20:20
Group:
Registered Users
About a month ago someone broke in to our apartment building on 2nd near Jersey at about 6:00am, went into the basement, sawed off the chain from two bikes that were LOCKED in the basement, tried to steal a third bike, but someone was coming into the building and they escaped with two bikes. They left behind blood on the chain and the JCPD took a DNA sample. We called them to come back later that night when we noticed the front door had been broken and they claimed the door was broken for a long time and that didn't just happen, which is totally untrue. The theives came back a week later and stole the third bike.

There were so many other things they could have taken from the basement, but they only wanted the bikes. A friend who lives down the block said the same thing happened to her the day before.

I noticed used bikes are often for sale in front of the pet store or the Bank of America on Newark Ave. They have to be stolen.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 12:58
It's Frank's world...we just live in it.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I caught two young scallywags trying to steal the seat from my daughter's bike last week.

It was three young boys in Cordero school uniform, aged 8-12, one white, one hispanic, and one black.

I was sitting in my car outside my house on 8th street next to Basic, looked over and saw the boys bending down by my gate, it took me a few seconds to relaise what was going on, they had their hands through the fence working the seat off.

I threw my door open and sprang from my vehicle, the kids looked round in freeze frame for an instant while they digested the situation, they leapt up petrified and scattered dropping everything as they ran.

One boy's Nike sneaker fell off as he fled, the other left behind the 4 year's old pink princess style girl's bicycle he had been riding, together with an additional bicycle seat from some other small girl's bicycle.

As they now had 20 yards on me I secured my daughter's bicycle, and got on my own bike, then circled round the block onto Manilla which was the direction they were headed. Two of them were standing at 6th and Manilla and saw me coming on my bike when I was about a block away, they belted North on Manilla, bizarrely pulling off their Cordero T-shirts as they ran and flinging them onto the sidewalk. They managed to beat me round the corner into the subisdised housing on the East side of Manilla (round about 4th-5th street), by the time I rounded the corner they were nowhere to be seen.

In summary, I now have a small girl's pink princess style bicycle suitable for a 3-4 years of age (without stabilisers), plus a spare seat for another girl's bicycle. If anyone recognises these, or knows anyone who has had a young girl's bicycle stolen, let me know.

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
My road bike was stolen two years ago from the bike room in Liberty Towers. Like Greested, I was naive enough to think the bike was safe in a locked room on the 8th floor of a doorman building. My son's bike was stolen as well. I spoke with building management about it - apparently there had been a flyer that went around telling residents they had to register their bikes and if they didn't the bikes would be "disposed of." I never received the flyer. Long story short, even though they claimed they never actually got rid of any bikes, they did give me $500 for what was then a three-year old $1,200 bike. All in all, I thought that was a fair outcome given the circumstances - but it still sucks to be violated like that.

So the janitor has your $1200 bike? And his son has your son's bike.

And this because of some non-registration issue? That's terrible. I'm sure there were hundreds and hundreds of unregistered bicycles laying around, cluttering up the space that needed to be removed because some crackpot scheme the building management planned for that room. Terrible.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
My road bike was stolen two years ago from the bike room in Liberty Towers. Like Greested, I was naive enough to think the bike was safe in a locked room on the 8th floor of a doorman building. My son's bike was stolen as well. I spoke with building management about it - apparently there had been a flyer that went around telling residents they had to register their bikes and if they didn't the bikes would be "disposed of." I never received the flyer. Long story short, even though they claimed they never actually got rid of any bikes, they did give me $500 for what was then a three-year old $1,200 bike. All in all, I thought that was a fair outcome given the circumstances - but it still sucks to be violated like that.

Nina/Croft - I'd bet almost anything those are stolen bikes. Have you notified the police? It would be great to catch some of these guys - even it it's just one or two at a time. It has to start somewhere, right?

Quote:

ninasdogwalk wrote:
... on Newark ave right by Jersey Ave for at least 10 months someone has been selling used bikes for really cheap.
I've noticed that at times it's 1 bike sometimes 3 or 4 on 2 different corners locked with a makeshift sign with a price and phone number.
What I find odd is that I'm always seeing different bikes and some have been covered or disguised with reflective tape. I can't help but wonder if these bikes are stolen. I see too many differentt ones all the time except for lately. I'm guessing that it's due to all of the sidewalk construction and police presence in that area.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Hey, Bogart.

I am also a Club H member and I also ride my bike to the gym. I normally leave mine chained to the veranda, up the steps, next to the area where the tables and chairs are set up. I can keep an eye on it while I do my stuff.

Another piece of advice is to get a thin chain to secure the seat to the frame. I know, it sounds like overkill, but seats (and seat posts) are the easiest of targets for bike thieves looking for an easy score.

I also make it a point to constantly scan the area as I work out. Hopefully, the bike riders among us are helping each other by always looking out for our equipment.

It's called an accessory cable lock motocycle shops have been selling them for years. They are thin, light weight, and very portable.
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/List.aspx?cid=1002

Posted on: 2009/7/3 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, Bogart.

I am also a Club H member and I also ride my bike to the gym. I normally leave mine chained to the veranda, up the steps, next to the area where the tables and chairs are set up. I can keep an eye on it while I do my stuff.

Another piece of advice is to get a thin chain to secure the seat to the frame. I know, it sounds like overkill, but seats (and seat posts) are the easiest of targets for bike thieves looking for an easy score.

I also make it a point to constantly scan the area as I work out. Hopefully, the bike riders among us are helping each other by always looking out for our equipment.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I still have my bike (recently purchased from Grove St Bicycles). I parked it in front of Club H the other day and someone left a note that I had to lock up my wheels. I thought it would be OK in front of the gym.

Thanks for the warning if you read this. I'm not going to release the front wheel every time I park, but I did buy a cable for the front wheel and I'll be sure my main lock (Kryptonite U) passes through the rear wheel.

It's really sad that we have to be so paranoid.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 3:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/20 15:54
Group:
Registered Users
Middle of the day-someone climbed over our fence (locked 8ft high) made their way to the back--through the back door--alarm going off--went downstairs took the bike and walked it out the front door. Yep. And when the JCPD showed up they asked if my bike was locked--I said "It was IN my HOUSE!" They thought it was stolen from the backyard...

Posted on: 2009/7/1 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed two men selling "commuter bikes" in front of the convenience store and chinese restaurant at McGinley Square (Bergen at Montgomery)

One was a light blue, thicker frame (non commuter style - maybe alloy or carbon fiber) and the other was just a typical converted one gear road bike/foot break combo.

I don't really have any info on them but if they were there the other night with all of the other beggers and peddlers, I'm sure they'll be back.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 0:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't had my bike stolen but I did have my front tire slashed just yesterday. The slash had to be at least 2 feet long. It happened on Steuben St right near the Path station, however my observation has been that on Newark ave right by Jersey Ave for at least 10 months someone has been selling used bikes for really cheap.
I've noticed that at times it's 1 bike sometimes 3 or 4 on 2 different corners locked with a makeshift sign with a price and phone number.
What I find odd is that I'm always seeing different bikes and some have been covered or disguised with reflective tape. I can't help but wonder if these bikes are stolen. I see too many differentt ones all the time except for lately. I'm guessing that it's due to all of the sidewalk construction and police presence in that area.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 0:26
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
My husband's bike was stolen from the front of the barber shop on Grove in the evening about 3 years ago. He did the ol' lean on the front window without locking it maneuver while running inside to watch my stepson's haircut, thinking he can keep an eye on it... it was a fixed gear vintage Gitane frame... he loved that bike, but someone got off with it in no time.

A few months ago, I was looking out the front window of our place in the Heights at about 11pm and I saw two kids running down the street with what I thought were hubcaps... they were running so fast and silently. It turns out the next day my stepson discovered the front wheel of his bmx, which was locked to the side of the house (the bike, not the wheel), was gone. They actually came in through our gate which really bugged me and the fact that I saw them! I had just happened to be moving the curtain to the window to let some air in and looked out.

Lessons learned. Lock the bike at all times and the wheel too.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 0:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/24 17:50
From Morgan Lighthouse
Group:
Registered Users
143 Morgan Street.

A couple of years ago, almost every bike in our 40 unit condo was stolen. They must have got a couple of dozen.

There had to be a van involved, because many of the bikes were locked and not rideable.

Of course cops saw nothing, because they never patrol our street.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
1st/ Brunswick, across from Indio's. There, the sidewalk was unlit in front of 1st Street Park. Between 12 midnight and 7am.

Non quick release tires stolen from a Diamondback cyclo-crosstires, with Presto valves. Not new by any means.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greested wrote:
Mine was stolen from the parking garage under the Majestic Theatre apartment building in downtown JC. Thief was caught on video. He waited outside until a car exited the garage, and then before the door could close, he ran in, walked over to the bike racks, and walked away with my bike. Sily me for thinking I didn't need to lock it up once it was in the garage. I learned my lesson, and now it's locked up with a Kryptonite "NY Chain" wherever I leave it.

FYI, the thief was actually caught! He returned to the scne a few days later (presumably to nick another bike), but was caught in the act. Fortunately, he was drunk enough to keep distracted until the cops showed up, upon which time he was arrested.

Hoboken was having a problem with that since they have so many apartment buildings full of unlocked bikes in garages.

I remember 10 years ago the Newport area was having a problem with bikes being stolen. The thieves knew what they were looking for because they were targeting Cannondales and other expensive bikes and leaving cheaper ones untouched. Don't know if that still happens as often.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 19:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/12 13:06
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Mine was stolen from the parking garage under the Majestic Theatre apartment building in downtown JC. Thief was caught on video. He waited outside until a car exited the garage, and then before the door could close, he ran in, walked over to the bike racks, and walked away with my bike. Sily me for thinking I didn't need to lock it up once it was in the garage. I learned my lesson, and now it's locked up with a Kryptonite "NY Chain" wherever I leave it.

FYI, the thief was actually caught! He returned to the scne a few days later (presumably to nick another bike), but was caught in the act. Fortunately, he was drunk enough to keep distracted until the cops showed up, upon which time he was arrested.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 19:43

What location was your bike stolen from (time, type of lock, etc)?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/30 19:20
Group:
Registered Users
Let's start a thread to point out locations where/how bikes have been stolen in JC.
Mine was cable-locked to the bike rack outside the closed Linen N Things next to the A&P on Marin at 7pm on 6/29/09. I was in the store less than 10 minutes. Lock and bike both gone.
Where did it happen to you?

Posted on: 2009/6/30 19:27

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017