Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Zeppelin Hall Beer Garden
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
have they finally stopped being total racists? because when we saw them turn three young black adults away was when we decided not to return. (yes, it was because of "dress code," but there were plenty of white guys inside who were dressed almost identically.)

Wait a minute - this place, with its concrete floors, long dark wooden tables (and few other places to sit), and sports bar atmosphere now has a dress code??? That just makes no sense at all. I went there a few times when it opened. Nothing all that special anyway. If I go all the way over to that side of town, only to be turned away at the door for not meeting a dress code (something to be expected at a nightclub in Chelsea but at a beer garden in Jersey City - come on), I am not going to bother going back, even if the menu and beer selection have improved.

So don't come back. The Zep is great. It is very orderly for a beer garden, the only drunk person I have ever seen there was a 60+ woman who had one too many. I see mothers with toddlers in prams, whole families, Indians, other Asians, Patriots fans (, the whole diversity bit. Their bouncers will turn you away if you wear attire they don't like; that's their prerogative. Suck it up, go to the parking lot, and change. What's so difficult about it? You might have a case if you claimed your attire is a religious garb - hey, wait a minute - that might not be a bad idea.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 12:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/11 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
The beer garden is great for football. If you want to watch 7 games at once and track your fantasy teams, find a man cave. If you want to watch one game and maybe follow another, and do it with other fans and great beer, you gotta hit the Zep!

Posted on: 2012/9/17 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
have they finally stopped being total racists? because when we saw them turn three young black adults away was when we decided not to return. (yes, it was because of "dress code," but there were plenty of white guys inside who were dressed almost identically.)

Wait a minute - this place, with its concrete floors, long dark wooden tables (and few other places to sit), and sports bar atmosphere now has a dress code??? That just makes no sense at all. I went there a few times when it opened. Nothing all that special anyway. If I go all the way over to that side of town, only to be turned away at the door for not meeting a dress code (something to be expected at a nightclub in Chelsea but at a beer garden in Jersey City - come on), I am not going to bother going back, even if the menu and beer selection have improved.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
They don't have the TVs to accommodate watching all the games at once. Unless they've changed things recently, there's no way to view more than a couple screens at once from any vantage point. You might get as many as three, POSSIBLY four, but there are nine early games, so good luck with that.

They'll have a bunch of games on, but there's no logistical way I know of to watch them all at Zep.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 4:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
How is the beer garden for football? Do they have all the games on their tv's?

Having a few friends over from out of town who want to watch all the football games.

Beer garden doesn't answer their phone & couldn't find the info via google/facebook.

Thanks so much for any help!! :)

Posted on: 2012/9/16 3:40
"His father was a mudder.
-His father was a mudder?
-His mother was a mudder.
-His mother was a mudder?
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
I did expect this place to be a bastion of assholery and did not go there for the first year or 2 it was open. However, in recent visits I've enjoyed it very much.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I've honestly never seen any obnoxious behavior in the beer garden, and I've always wondered why people on here always mention that.

It's because some ppl on here are not fair. Some hate the ZH attire policy; they think it is racist, so they will badmouth ZH by calling it obnoxious, which is total BS.

They can call it racist (I won't disagree, and I don't have the facts to argue otherwise), but obnoxious it is not. It is very quaint and patron-friendly, as beer gardens go, actually.

Assuming, of course, that one gets through security.

You've probably never been there on a Friday or Saturday night. It's more "Club Beer Garden" than an actual beer garden. The Pilsner Haus in Hoboken is everything I expected Zeppelin to be, but alas you have to go to Hoboken to have a more authentic beer garden. Go figure.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I've honestly never seen any obnoxious behavior in the beer garden, and I've always wondered why people on here always mention that.

It's because some ppl on here are not fair. Some hate the ZH attire policy; they think it is racist, so they will badmouth ZH by calling it obnoxious, which is total BS.

They can call it racist (I won't disagree, and I don't have the facts to argue otherwise), but obnoxious it is not. It is very quaint and patron-friendly, as beer gardens go, actually.

Assuming, of course, that one gets through security.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've honestly never seen any obnoxious behavior in the beer garden, and I've always wondered why people on here always mention that. In the daytime, it's extraordinarily tame and sometimes filled with strollers, and on weekend nights, it's just people having fun like they would at any other bar.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
I've been here a few times since moving and really like it. It's large enough where it's easy to isolate yourself from anyone you find obnoxious, even though I personally haven't had any problems with the crowd. As others have said, it seems like a good mix of people to me and is a great place to sit outside and have some drinks on a nice day/night. The food isn't mind blowing but its fairly priced and totally decent beer hall grub. If this place was in NYC it would be insanely packed and obnoxious. Just one of the many reasons I'm really loving Jersey City so far.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
have they finally stopped being total racists?

Its a bit loud and obnoxious with a very shady door policy.

I would not call it obnoxious. I see families with small kids there all the time, and I think it is refreshing. I rarely see drunks there, never did I see violence. Overall, for a beer garden, they strive to keep a good balance between a family place and, well, a beer garden. Regarding accusations of racism, I think they should be color-blind, and if they are not, that is a shame. They have a right to enforce an attire policy, but if it disproportionately affects people of color, then it is racism. Instead of turning people away because of attire, they should offer alternative attire, like classy restaurants do, end of story.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
have they finally stopped being total racists?

great question, last time I was there they turned away three black guys with baseball caps, all though half the patrons and staff had them on. Like I said this place is not for everyone. Its a bit loud and obnoxious with a very shady door policy. I will head to NYC b4 I consider this spot.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/6/26 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
This place is not for everyone, myself included. I left the downtown area around the time this place was getting popular and never could understand the appeal.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I've gone twice so far in the past month and had a great time both afternoons. It was crowded enough without being crazy. The crowd was a mixture of young and old, jersey wearing and tattooed, hatwearers and the hatless, birthday celebrators and game watchers, sun bathers and squeezebox dancers. I think they've relaxed the door policies. The wursts are delicious. The German taps are extensive. It's a wonderful place to spend a sunny afternoon!

Posted on: 2012/6/26 15:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/18 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
I been down to Zeppelin hall a bunch since it opened last summer and usually had a good time.. the food is a total afterthought, unfortu8nately, and I guess when you figure the markup and quantity of beer they sell thats just the way they're playing their game, so why should they burn too many calories making the food actually QUALITY and tasty?

other than that the security guys are kind of thugs, and I know one guy personally who was punched in the face by one of their bouncers a couple weeks back while they were kicking him out of the place. and sure, kicking someone out is okay if they're being a dick but in this case they got him confused with some other guy who was annoying some girls? anyway before they determned who was at fault they had grabbed my friend and thrown him out the side door. Then the dude sucker-punched him and broke one of his teeth. gotta love phone videos, tho-- our other boy got it all on tape so you know how that goes: police report, lawyers, and soon a lawsuit for assault. anyway-- I guess he's etiher gonna get a fat settlement or free beer and shitty food for a couple years, lol.

Posted on: 2010/4/5 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went last night for a few beers. Had a great time watching the underdogs beat Michigan State. They had that far back room open to accommodate all the people. How many patrons does this place hold? It looked as if at least a thousand people were there.

Brought a few friends from NYC, had some Tacqueria before going. They were very impressed with downtown JC. I'm trying to win them over to JC one by one.

Posted on: 2010/4/4 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AmyJCNJ wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Paid another visit last night (must be the sixth or seventh time now) and I still don't get why people hate on this place. Took some out-of-town family for a beer and to sit down and chat and it was just fine. Ample seating and space, felt welcome all around, chatted with the family and the bartenders, and had a great time. We even had two minors with us and never felt unwelcome, or stared at, or anything like that.

As for this not being a real biergarten... I don't get that either. I have been to several beer gardens in Munich and Frankfurt and they were similar in many aspects. During my visits to those places, the locals were mostly drinking beers with friends or significant others, and there was very little consuming of food, if any, except for the ubiquitious pretzels!! From my experience, people would sit outside, soak in the sun, enjoy some time with their mates, and just enjoy life. Maybe some of the ones spewing crap about this place should do the same: enjoy the moment and the beer and ignore the crap you don't like.

Of course, I haven't had to deal with any unruly crowds, or the Sandbar types, during my many visits, so maybe I am just lucky, or know how to pick my seating area...

I totally agree with you. A lot of people just don't know what they are talking about. I happen to be German and have taken my German language group there on several occasions and everyone agrees it's pretty damn close to an authentic biergarten. Yes the sausages aren't quite the same as you would find in Germany, but all of the Germans I've spoken to think the sausages a pretty good none the less. And french fries are on par with German french fries being that you can choose to eat them with mayo if you wish. If you want to go to German restaurant then go to Zum Schneider. But a biergarten of this size is not going to be able to prepare an extensive menu. And you will find a similar menu at biergartens in Germany. If you don't believe me then check out the menu on this website from a biergarten in Berlin which is similar in size of Zepplin Hall (click on Beergarden to see the outdoor menu):
http://www.pratergarten.de

3rd.

It's fine. And the people have always been good when I've been there. I've seen no fights or throwing up. Kids running around during the day and adults drinking at night.
The food is bar food with a German spin. That's it. Get over it.

What is the definition of a frat boy to you people? I'm thinking is a white guy with a short haircut that has a untucked button down dress shirt on? Seems to me that is just any white man from age 20-40 that has a white collar job. If they were wearing skinny jeans than you would all be up in arms about Hipsters. If they were wearing jerseys and fitted hats you would be calling them thugs.

I ask you jclist. What is the acceptable form of dress for a man age 20-40????

Posted on: 2009/10/6 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Paid another visit last night (must be the sixth or seventh time now) and I still don't get why people hate on this place. Took some out-of-town family for a beer and to sit down and chat and it was just fine. Ample seating and space, felt welcome all around, chatted with the family and the bartenders, and had a great time. We even had two minors with us and never felt unwelcome, or stared at, or anything like that.

As for this not being a real biergarten... I don't get that either. I have been to several beer gardens in Munich and Frankfurt and they were similar in many aspects. During my visits to those places, the locals were mostly drinking beers with friends or significant others, and there was very little consuming of food, if any, except for the ubiquitious pretzels!! From my experience, people would sit outside, soak in the sun, enjoy some time with their mates, and just enjoy life. Maybe some of the ones spewing crap about this place should do the same: enjoy the moment and the beer and ignore the crap you don't like.

Of course, I haven't had to deal with any unruly crowds, or the Sandbar types, during my many visits, so maybe I am just lucky, or know how to pick my seating area...

I totally agree with you. A lot of people just don't know what they are talking about. I happen to be German and have taken my German language group there on several occasions and everyone agrees it's pretty damn close to an authentic biergarten. Yes the sausages aren't quite the same as you would find in Germany, but all of the Germans I've spoken to think the sausages a pretty good none the less. And french fries are on par with German french fries being that you can choose to eat them with mayo if you wish. If you want to go to German restaurant then go to Zum Schneider. But a biergarten of this size is not going to be able to prepare an extensive menu. And you will find a similar menu at biergartens in Germany. If you don't believe me then check out the menu on this website from a biergarten in Berlin which is similar in size of Zepplin Hall (click on Beergarden to see the outdoor menu):
http://www.pratergarten.de

Posted on: 2009/10/6 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/10/6 16:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/25 21:42
From Brooklyn
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to personally thank this 31 page thread for stealing 2 hours of my life. Could've known that would happen from 4 pages in, so my bad.

I have learned the following:

1) Beer garden equals pee and vomit and baby poop.

2) Asia is now considered to be solely India. Everything else is China.

3) Jersey City is much nicer than Astoria.

4) The worst thing that could possibly happen to Jersey City is that it could be more like Hoboken.

5) Baseball caps turned backwards are a huge terrorist threat, but worn "normally" are A-OK.

6) As much as I might want a bratwurst, I'd be better off cooking one in my own home.

Am I missing anything?

Posted on: 2009/9/30 18:14

IS THE BEER GARDEN OWNER RACIST!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/14 20:20
From Chilltown Baby!
Group:
Registered Users
I recently went to the Beer Garten. As I approached the entrance the bouncer told me that my jeans were too baggy. I asked to speak to the owner and was allowed to. the owner said it wasnt me but my freind. I pointed out that i was told to wear some banana republic next time. He said he was refering to my friend.

Weirdly enough my friend was wearing very form fitting clothing. I had on baggy jeans because im a bit heavy and banana republic are not made for me.

He then said that my friend's hat was the problem. He added on how he didnt want thugs in his bar. I told him dont judge a book by its cover because we were educators. I added was he acting like this because we were hispanic. He said no and acted funny saying my freind could stay if he took his hat off.

His behavior dissapointed me because I love his establishment . The decor, ambiance, and the aray of beers are so different.

Later, as he was passing my freind, my freind told him that we were cool. He got upset and said take your hat off.

Another freind that was with us and is caucasian told the owner why didn't the 5 white guys behind us asked to take their hat off and he responded just dont come back. What kind of Shyt is that. Ironically their was a fight later that night between two white guys. "But we're thugs right"

I was insulted because I had told so many people how cool and calm it was their.

I havent been back since...... I say hes a racist basturd ....and I think Mr. Fulop was having or had a fund raiser their..careful who you make freinds with....They might hinder your goals

Posted on: 2009/9/24 16:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
Fyi....

NYT

The New York Times
September 20, 2009
Quick Bite | Jersey City
On Tap: Beer and Conversation
By KELLY FEENEY

Zeppelin Hall, a restaurant and beer garden that opened in late June in the Liberty Harbor development in downtown Jersey City, has 42 types of European and American beers on tap. But the convivial atmosphere is the first thing you notice.

?We want to feature conversation and people talking,? said John Argento, the director.

When Peter Mocco, the developer of Liberty Harbor, was researching restaurant concepts for his development, Mr. Argento, who worked at the Bohemian Hall beer garden in Queens, sold him on the idea of a beer garden.

On weekends, the place is packed, which says a lot considering that its 15,000 square feet of combined indoor and outdoor space can accommodate about 800 people. (A 3,000-square-foot addition is under construction.) The airy, outside seating area is crowded in warm weather. Inside, there?s a fireplace for chilly evenings to come.

Both areas have long communal tables, so it?s easy to chat with neighbors. The nearby Hudson-Bergen Light Rail stop on Jersey Avenue helps draw the crowds.

With Oktoberfest having just begun, the atmosphere will be further enlivened by oompah bands. Half-liter mugs of classic German beers like Spaten Oktoberfest are available (beers are $5 and $6). Or customers can sample a flight of four different beers served in five-ounce glasses ($7). Nonalcoholic beverages, including beer, are also available, and there is a full bar.

The food includes a sausage sampler ($12), offering a choice of three types of sausages ? like chicken bratwurst, kielbasa or andouille ? with rye bread, sauerkraut and fries. The menu is expanding to include Bavarian dishes like sauerbraten ($14.95) and schnitzels ($13.95 to $16.95).

And all of it is intended to taste good with beer. KELLY FEENEY

Zeppelin Hall, 88 Liberty View Drive, Jersey City; (201) 721-8888 or zeppelinhall.com. Open Monday to Thursday, 4 p.m. to 1 a.m.; Friday, 4 p.m. to 2 a.m.; Saturday, noon to 2 a.m.; Sunday, noon to 1 a.m.

Posted on: 2009/9/20 14:24

Re: Zeppelin Hall Beer Garden - Opening Night
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/13 20:39
From hamilton park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sullyx wrote:
this place is a potential fire trap too as they've had the garden gates locked(which is also the handicap entrance on the west side of the building) and not always manned by security.

now anyone here a rumor that the bouncers turned away some tagged guys from entering telling the guys "we don't think this is your type of crowd"? I do not know this is a fact or just rumor so just asking if anyone else heard it. If it's true I'm guessing a lawsuit won't be far behind.

I wasn't there but am familiar with what you are talking about. no one was turned away, but the quote would have been something to the effect of "you guys might not want to come in, this is a family establishment." needless to say, they went in anyways (though i wouldn't have and would have spent my hard earned cash else where). they had a good time and i believe they plan on partying there frequently. though what i will take away from this comment is, apparently if you are a tattooed dude from jersey city who owns a local buisness ZEPPLIN wants very little to do with you and your friends.

though having your nose in the bag and puking all over the place as long as you have several popped collars with your "crew" seems to be totally acceptable behavior in their "FAMILY RESTURANT".

its not like i won't be there lifting my mug yelling and laughing and cussin, they can 86 me all they want, in the end its not what i expected or wanted but pretty much is just another place to have a few thats just not that cool or fun or that much different from anywhere else. i am guilty of building this place up in my mind and it was a huge let down. bouncing/regulating staff stinks, bartenders don't know their product, the menu issues should have been sorted out long ago and yes i am sort of an expert of the subject.

last call at 11:30pm? jeeeeze lousie i bought a liter at 11:15pm and wasn't even allowed to finish it before they kicked me out the front door. next time stop selling liters well before last call you bozo's

Posted on: 2009/7/14 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
this place is a potential fire trap too as they've had the garden gates locked(which is also the handicap entrance on the west side of the building) and not always manned by security.

now anyone here a rumor that the bouncers turned away some tagged guys from entering telling the guys "we don't think this is your type of crowd"? I do not know this is a fact or just rumor so just asking if anyone else heard it. If it's true I'm guessing a lawsuit won't be far behind.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 21:09
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think there is nothing wrong with being drunk and silly, its the point where it becomes obnoxious... guys touching girls asses or saying rude shit... thats the point where I kinda get annoyed... the people who make your fun time into bad time...

Posted on: 2009/7/13 17:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/22 22:16
From Jersey ave and 3rd St
Group:
Registered Users
There is one thing I can say for this city in relevance to the silliness that occurs when people drink.

There is one thing that makes a place like New York great, and it's all because of the people that are there. They are many, and they are diverse. Not all of that is positive, but not everything is always going to be either. The west village, for example, is a terrific place. However, if you're hanging out around there, let's say 7th ave around christopher and surrounding areas, it's loud, crowded, silly, and maybe a tad obnoxious. But we know that, and would still say it's a great place.

That being said, when more people start to gather and do things in Jersey City, why would we be surprised when people have a good time and get rowdy? You can't ban them.. really...

Someone earlier said that they are able to handle themselves well, at the same time as getting even shit-faced. I agree, I don't understand why everyone can't be like that. But, there are certainly worse things than getting a little over-the-top when you drink. If they're not hurting anyone, maybe it just means it's time for them to go home.

Maybe I'm wrong about all that though. Maybe the majority of people here are looking for Jersey city to be like a Ridgewood or a Red Bank (for those of you who are familiar with those locations) rather than a New York? That's not for me. What do you think?

Posted on: 2009/7/13 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
yea unfortunately you can't differentiate between the two..

truth.

just trying to provide a little resident perspective, no big deal. I can ignore "them" completely while there, but it's hard to ignore the way they treat the surrounding are once outside the establishment. obviously true of all/most bars to some degree, it is just amplified considerably in this case due to the scale.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 16:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Went there on Friday with my wife and two friends and we had a blast. The atmosphere was great, as was the quality of the crowd. The food I got was delicious (sausage sampler), and totally worth the long line. I have never seen so many people gather anywhere in JC, and the vibe was a great change from what you usually find in the downtown/ph bar scene.

Yes, there were a handful of obnoxious drunks at the end of the night, but what do you expect...it's a BAR! No different than the annoying drunks that often gather at some of JC's other fine drinking establishments. This place is a great addition to the neighborhood and I give kudos to the folks who dreamed up this place. Genious.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
yea unfortunately you can't differentiate between the two.. and just ban the people who can't handle themselves... I can't stand (mostly boys) who-over drink and are yelling "woohoo" and high five'ing each other, pounding on tables thats why I never ever went to the Sandbar... because it just seems like it would be a big frat party (correct me if im wrong jcLIST) I can get shit faced and still handle myself accordingly one of my many talents... dont be jealous lol

Posted on: 2009/7/13 16:24

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017