Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: New Mexican Food Cart Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
heights: some people love to eat a variety of foods, it's an adventure. I myself love these food trucks, especially the Krave. I also eat regularly at Komegashi, Buon Appetitto, Embankment, White Star, Skinner's Loft, Arthurs, Grand Sichuan, Sawadee, Five Guys, among others.

The real junk food is McDonalds - that's unhealthy, (althoough sometimes I will eat Wendy's)

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
I had NO idea there was so much out there. thanks, everybody! I shall never be hungry again...

Is this your only choice out there, food from trucks ?? I can't believe you grew up eating like this. What a way to destroy your bodies with all that uninspected prepared junk food.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 20:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
anyone know if this guy moved his cart to another spot or opened a business? Those sandwiches were awesome

Posted on: 2011/6/9 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
I had NO idea there was so much out there. thanks, everybody! I shall never be hungry again...

Is this your only choice out there, food from trucks ?? I can't believe you grew up eating like this. What a way to destroy your bodies with all that uninspected prepared junk food.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 18:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 0:29
Group:
Registered Users
Any chance this cart will come back now that the weather is nice?

Posted on: 2010/4/27 22:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/8 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everybody thank for the good coments. and for sure i be there again and now we are doing catering service if any one like to know more contact me ALEX (324) 624-9306 see u gays soon

Posted on: 2009/12/8 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Texas wrote:
I saw the El Imperio cart and it's owner, Alex, at the Grove Street PATH Monday night. When I spoke to him, he told me he would be shutting down for the winter, and reopening with a larger food truck in the spring. He posts on here from time to time so just message him and ask what his future plans are.

Oh, that's a relief -- I love their food and was really worried they'd be gone for good! Wonder if any of the other trucks will be gone for the winter too...

Posted on: 2009/11/18 20:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
I saw the El Imperio cart and it's owner, Alex, at the Grove Street PATH Monday night. When I spoke to him, he told me he would be shutting down for the winter, and reopening with a larger food truck in the spring. He posts on here from time to time so just message him and ask what his future plans are.

Posted on: 2009/11/18 20:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is a shame. I really do hope they resurface.

Posted on: 2009/11/18 19:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
How sad! I loved Imperio...

Posted on: 2009/11/18 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
the guy at the Imperio torta cart at grove st said he'll be shutting down before thanksgiving and probably won't start back up again here.

it's not an easy life running a food cart.

Posted on: 2009/11/18 17:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Is this cart hibernating? I haven't seen it in a while.

Posted on: 2009/11/18 17:21

The Taco Truck
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
The Taco Truck which parks at Exchange Place and Columbus & Marin was on channel 7 Eyewitness News.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Neighborhood Eats: Taco Truck

By Lauren Glassberg

It's a kitchen on wheels, dressed up in orange.

Jason Scott rolled out the "Taco Truck" this month.

It alternates locations between Jersey City and Hoboken.
Customers are already lining up to try homemade sauces and salsas.

The most popular dish is the carnitas michoan tacos, named for a Mexican city.

It's basically a braise of pork, onions, galic, spices, condensed milk and oranges.

After two hours of braising, the meat is piled onto a taco, along with your favorite toppings.
Related Content

Customers say they love the convenience, and the great view where the truck parks.

The truck also runs on propane which is cleaner than gas or diesel.

It's just another part of the taco truck's eco friendly approach.

The Taco Truck CARNITAS RECIPE Chef Roberto Santiba?ez

To make tacos or tortas with Carnitas you first need to make the Carnitas! Here is a simple version for home cooks to produce tender pieces of pork that will be the closest thing in flavor and texture to the traditional Carnitas which are cooked in the enormous cooper pots in Mexico with the whole pig in the pot!!

Serves 8 regular portions, or enough for 24 to 32 tacos or around 10 Tortas Active time: 20 minutes Start to finish: 2 hours

4 lb fatty pork butt (shoulder), cut into 2-inch pieces 2 oz pork lard or vegetable oil 3 cups water ? orange, cut into 2 pieces 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced 8 garlic cloves, peeled 2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican 2 teaspoons fine salt (or 4 teaspoons coarse salt) 3 bay leaves 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk

Put all the ingredients in a wide 6- to 7-quart heavy pot (don't worry if pork is not completely covered) and bring to a boil, skimming surface as necessary. Simmer vigorously over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the pork is tender and the liquid has completely evaporates, about 1 ? hours. Discard the orange and bay leaves.

Lower the heat to medium and continue frying the pork in the fat left in the pan, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Carnitas keep in the refrigerator 3 days. If you prefer, you can do the browning in the oven (right away or when you reheat the carnitas) Preheat the oven to 450?F and cook until browned, 20 to 30 minutes.

TACOS DE CARNITAS: Shred the meat and serve warm in corn tortillas along with any salsa you like, like "salsa verde" extra chopped onion and cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice are always appreciated.

To make Tortas you will need the following ingredients:

Portuguese rolls or Teleras Melted butter Mexican Cream or "crema" (could use cr?me fraiche) Refried black beans (recipe follows or from a can) Avocados for slicing A small can of pickled jalapenos Thinly sliced white onions

If you live in an area where you have many Mexican stores or bakeries ask any Mexican person where you can buy a "Telera" the soft but somewhat crusty bread that we use traditionally in Mexico to make our tortas, or, for the closet flavor buy some Portuguese rolls.

Pre-heat a flat griddle or a cast iron skillet, Cut the breads open as for any sandwich and spread them with a thin coating of melted butter Place the rolls inside down on the griddle and toast the bread very lightly just to heat through.

Spread the bottom part with 2 tablespoons of refried black beans and the top with a thin layer of "crema" (around 2 teaspoons) Place 1 cup of the carnitas on top the beans-side, top with 2 or 3 slices of avocado, 1 tablespoon of onions, finish with 1 tablespoon salsa verde, put the lids on, press down lightly so that all ingredients come together, slice in half and enjoy while warm!

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?sec ... ghborhood_eats&id=7091611

Posted on: 2009/11/1 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/10/22 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
I'd love to know where else I can walk to from Grove Street PATH after 10pm. Please share!

I believe Ibby's Falafel is open until midnight most nights. A-1 Deli is open 24 hours, and you can get a variety of food there. Also open very late is the other deli on Jersey Ave, Marow Deli. There is also a new 24-hour deli on Newark Ave that is actually pretty big and clean (it's called 24/7 I believe). The Flamingo Diner is open 24 hours on the weekend, and very late during the week (at least 1 am I think). The Brownstone Diner is open until 11 pm, so that's not too late, but it's after 10 pm. The Iron Monkey serves food late, and you can take it out. Same with The Merchant. And the Hard Grove. And York Street Tavern. I believe the kitchen at Barrow Street Pub is open until at least 11 (decent pub food, bar pies, etc). Also, in a pinch, the McDonalds on Grove Street is open 24-hours. And, if you want to go ghetto style, the Fried Chicken joint on Newark Ave is open very late (2 am at least, weekends I think even later), and is always full of entertaining characters.

So ... there ARE late night options, although I agree we could use more.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'd love to know where else I can walk to from Grove Street PATH after 10pm. Please share!

Posted on: 2009/10/21 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
was coming home at 11 last night, facing the sad prospect of a frozen pizza from Duane Reade.

thank heaven for the Mexican cart!

don't know which I loved more: the fish taco, the brisket taco, or the fact that neither came out of a microwave.

kudos to JC's best - and only - late night dining option.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

notcrazy4u wrote:
WOW I JUST CANT SEE THE WHOLE STREEET CART THING. THE IDEA OF PEOPLE HANDLING MONEY AND EVERYTHING ELSE----YOUR FOOD----GOING TO THE BATHROOM-----PUSHING THE CART-------AND NOT WASHING THEIR HANDS----JUST TURNS ME OFF

Good, gringo americanus! More for us.

Posted on: 2009/9/2 1:52
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
We looked for El Imperio tonight but we didn't see it. Day off or something going on with cart regulations? We love their food.

Posted on: 2009/9/2 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
The sauce you are referring to is Tzatziki, although the kind we get at our delicious Halal carts is not as thick as this, so I'm assuming its either watered down or contains something else (I could buy a Ranch-style dressing as the culprit) for a creamier taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzatziki

If we're talking about the famous Halal guys on 53 & 6th, it's a long argued topic. Many people, myself included believe theirs is mayo based and not yogurt based, thus not exactly Tzatziki sauce.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'm completely behind more street food. More often than not, these are these are hard working folks that cook one or two things really well for a great price. Somehow I doubt there's much overlap between the lets grab at taco at the cart versus the $10 grande double soy latte plus stale danish decision.

I only heard through hearsay, but I believe there are a limited number of permits so there's no worry of being overrun. I think we could easily double what we have downtown and be happy. Most just seem to cater to the Exchange Place lunch crowd anyway.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 6:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
Just asking and certainly not attacking....Can Anyone that has a food cart license set up at the Grove St plaza??? On face value it seems like a very low cost way to set up a business in a prime location...Notice other places set up there often as well...I wish everyone willing to work hard success but I would think places like Starbucks & Subway that surely must be paying high rent wouldn't be to happy...I think I have conflicting feelings on the issue....It certainly is nice to have a quality food provider so conveniently located but is it inherently fair to all the other businesses? Is it in the best long term interests of the area? Could this get out of control with many vendors? What of non food vendors? What about potential problems like sanitation, policing and other public costs? Many things in Jersey City seem very unregulated or winked at...(Like "car services" at shoprite with expired out of state plates...guess anyone can "open" a car service around here) Anyone have thoughts???

Do we care about being "fair" to Starbucks and Subway if it gets us good food at a fair price?

There are good things about living in a city. Quality street food is one of them. Is it fair for megacorporations to deprive us of our quality of life?

You raise a good point and I'm probably the single worst person to argue for Subway or Starbucks. I find their products to be average at best...What about other non giants thou like the bagel guy on the corner, or Savas, or Boun Appetito, or Stellas and any one else in the area...As for street food I understand that flavor of living in Manhattan (I used to live there) can be desirable to some. But the density of population over there can support every storefront with plenty left for street vendors. It also must be pointed out that NY is having huge problems controlling all their street vendors right now...Many folks that actually lived near me in Manhattan (not those commuting there for work) were often livid at the city in this regard.
Do we as residents want this area to become a collection of streetcart vendors??? I'm allowing that the answer may actually be yes....I don't know. I wish this vendor no ill will. I personally don't like my mexican food maybe by asians, so I might try some of his food. I really want to support anyone that works hard, contributes to the community and produces a quality product.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 5:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
Just asking and certainly not attacking....Can Anyone that has a food cart license set up at the Grove St plaza??? On face value it seems like a very low cost way to set up a business in a prime location...Notice other places set up there often as well...I wish everyone willing to work hard success but I would think places like Starbucks & Subway that surely must be paying high rent wouldn't be to happy...I think I have conflicting feelings on the issue....It certainly is nice to have a quality food provider so conveniently located but is it inherently fair to all the other businesses? Is it in the best long term interests of the area? Could this get out of control with many vendors? What of non food vendors? What about potential problems like sanitation, policing and other public costs? Many things in Jersey City seem very unregulated or winked at...(Like "car services" at shoprite with expired out of state plates...guess anyone can "open" a car service around here) Anyone have thoughts???

Do we care about being "fair" to Starbucks and Subway if it gets us good food at a fair price?

There are good things about living in a city. Quality street food is one of them. Is it fair for megacorporations to deprive us of our quality of life?

Posted on: 2009/8/31 4:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/31 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Had the mole enchiladas last night. I thought they were pretty good and worth a try.

I was super impressed when I asked to try the mole figuring that I would just get a spoonful, the cook handed me a slice of baguette with a dollop of the mole and creme fresh on top. Very cool, much like an amuse bouche.

Just tried them myself -- quite tasty. Love the little tent they have set up, too.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 23:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/1 22:15
Group:
Registered Users
WOW I JUST CANT SEE THE WHOLE STREEET CART THING. THE IDEA OF PEOPLE HANDLING MONEY AND EVERYTHING ELSE----YOUR FOOD----GOING TO THE BATHROOM-----PUSHING THE CART-------AND NOT WASHING THEIR HANDS----JUST TURNS ME OFF

Posted on: 2009/8/30 4:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
The sauce you are referring to is Tzatziki, although the kind we get at our delicious Halal carts is not as thick as this, so I'm assuming its either watered down or contains something else (I could buy a Ranch-style dressing as the culprit) for a creamier taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzatziki

Posted on: 2009/8/28 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Had the mole enchiladas last night. I thought they were pretty good and worth a try.

I was super impressed when I asked to try the mole figuring that I would just get a spoonful, the cook handed me a slice of baguette with a dollop of the mole and creme fresh on top. Very cool, much like an amuse bouche.

Posted on: 2009/8/28 16:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/2 19:15
From Grove st. Path Station jersey city
Group:
Banned
Hola everyone in jersey city down town tortas ahogadas el imperio are cooking mole enchiladas with your choice of meat:

Corn tortillas filled with your choice of meat or our veggies of the day, the smoothered with autentic mole poblano and topped with melted cheese served with white rice mexican style tonite outside the path station on grove street:]

Posted on: 2009/8/26 20:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/2 19:15
From Grove st. Path Station jersey city
Group:
Banned
IMPERIO
GREEN CHX- ENCHILADAS

Three soft corn tortilla filled w/ srheaded chicken breast ,topped w/ tomatillo green sauce ,lettuce, cotija cheese,and served w/ mex-rice

Posted on: 2009/7/22 21:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Went, again, to the food cart last night after some drinking at the beer garden. I had the veggie tacos, and they were delish. My only suggestion would be that they use queso fresco instead of just cheddar. Other than that, I will be going back again soon!

Posted on: 2009/7/17 13:49

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017