Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Nearly run down by reckless driver today at Columbus/Grove, JC Police Unresponsive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
You can still file a police report.

When calling about a crime in progress, call 911. At the time, you may thought you were not hurt but you should have requested an ambulance. Once an ambulance responds then the police will also arrive. I say call 911 because you were almost hurt and even a jerky movement can set off a back or neck injury. I say this because it has happened a few times where people do not feel injured at the time.

If you definitely were not harmed in any way and you called the non-emergency number, 201.547.5477 then the operator types in the call. On the screen, the Police Dispatcherr sees that the crime has already happened and that you were not hurt. Crimes in the past: stolen autos, break ins, burglaries do not always get the same response as crimes in progress. One may have to wait for let's say a "shooting" or "armed robbery" incident in another area before a "crime in the past" is answered.

Therefore, it is not a priority but they are suppose to follow up on all calls. Even if it is much later.

Someone was hit just about 5 months ago on Grove and Newark by a reckless driver.

At any rate, I sent you an offline email to contact me so that we can process the report together. I will need some info.

Thanks!
Or email me at
downtownjcwatch@gmail.com

Posted on: 2009/5/12 13:49

Re: Nearly run down by reckless driver today at Columbus/Grove, JC Police Unresponsive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Thats not the point. We shouldn't have to.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
This is a hell of a corner, which is why I always go under Columbus via the Path station.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
A similar incident happened to me at the same intersection. I was walking across the street with the walk from the McDonald's. A few cars were trying to turn going away from the water and when rolled behind me a woman rolled down her window and called me an "a**hole." It took a lot for me to not actually run after the car.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately it is not a serious crime in the NJ, but it should be. It is only a serious crime if a pedestrian is hit and suffers permanent injury. IMO the OP should consider him/herself lucky and just let it go. If the OP chooses to pursue the issue, they would be lucky for the driver to get a $50 fine, 'failing to yield to a pedestrian'.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
City wont do anything (i.e. undercover pedestrians) until someone gets killed.

I guess the hit and run on Grand St. didn't effect the mayor at all.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
I was at the corner of Columbus today at Grove Street, waited for the "walk" sign, then started walking across the street toward Duane Reade. In the left hand lane on Columbus, I spotted a beat up car with two young males, who clearly saw me walking in the middle of the crosswalk. The car suddenly revved its engine and and made a fast left hand turn straight into me, as if they were actually aiming for me (the driver was looking right at me), and did not stop. I quickly jumped backward and just narrowly missed being hit by the car. The young males laughed as they drove past me, then turned around and laughed some more. I caught the license plate as they drove away, VTV500, a NJ plate. People rushed towards me to make sure I was ok and I had a flood of witnesses who were appalled by the scene. Although I wasn't hurt, I was concerned the young males might hurt someone else, so I quickly called the 911, who took the information and assured me the police would arrive shortly and I could file a report, and hopefully the drivers could be tracked down as they may still be in the area. After waiting for 20 minutes, I called the JC police directly, and was told a car would come soon. After another 20 minutes of standing on the street corner, and still no one arriving (although I saw several JC police cars aimlessly driving around and clearly not looking for me-- I even tried to flag them down, to no avail), I called the police again. I was told the police would come "when they got around to it." After an hour I gave up and went home, left my cell number with the police for follow up. Of course I never heard from anyone.

if the driver went right at you on purpose (clearly they did, as they laughed afterwards) It's a much more serious crime. You should convey that clearly to the police, not just some kid driving recklessly.

this of course doesnt excuse jcpd's piss poor handling of the situation.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 23:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/14 0:14
Group:
Registered Users
Last week I was crossing Jersey Ave on the Hamilton Park side of 7th street. I was about 60% across in the walkway when a white SUV came through the stop sign at 7th street and turned left heading directly at me. The driver seemed to see me, stop, and then head directly at me again. The driver did finally stop at the last minute and let me cross. I thought I saw a "sorry!" hand gesture but the windows were so heavily tinted I couldn't really tell.

A similar thing happened crossing North on Newark in the walkway on the west side of Jersey Ave with the "Walk" sign illuminated. A woman driving north on Jersey turned left into Newark and apparently did not see me although she had plenty of time to slow down and stop she just kept heading straight at me.

I think in both cases the drivers may have expected me to retreat back to the side I had crossed from.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
That sucks NJNJ, glad you're ok.

A few years ago we saw a 9-year-old girl get hit by a van...ever since I'm uber-cautious when crossing the street...and honestly, I can't believe how much I need to be because drivers here are such assholes.

The other day a black SUV was making a fast turn onto 4th st and he wasn't looking up...as he passed I stared him down. He rolled the window down and I said, "you need to be more careful"...he replied with, "walk faster." I proceeded to yell an expletive...had I thought faster I would have said, "there's a special place in hell for people like you."

Posted on: 2009/5/11 18:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/1 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
You might want to take a look at the traffic lights at that junction. There may be cameras on it that captured what happened. If so, the PD may be able to pull the footage.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mjcbklyn wrote:
sorry to hear this, they sound like a couple of serious a-holes.

the pedestrian situation in jersey city is pretty bad. no one EVER yields! even when there is a stop sign. and when its just a cross walk you can just forget about it, you are probably better off waiting for them to fly past you and try to cross when there are no cars, which is total b.s. i sometimes wonder if they realize crosswalk + pedestrians = STOP even without a sign.

but like most public safety issues, especially those related to street signs and traffic lights, nothing will happen until someone gets killed.

marie Antoinette say's "Let them eat cake" !

Posted on: 2009/5/11 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

saabconv wrote:
This happened Saturday night to a friend and I as we tried to cross Columbus and Warren. This pig from NY in a beat up Mitsubishi totally aimed at us. I guess she didn\'t realize that pedestrians have right of way - but there are NEVER any cops when you need them. In fact, the only place I see them is at the PATH station when they go rummaging through my bag - of course I was wearing my birka when this happened...

Those cops that \"rummaged\" through wouldn\'t normally patrol outside the PATH property. They are Port Authority cops not Jersey City Police Officers.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
please, please file that police report.

it probably won't result in any justice now, but when these asshats do run someone down - and they will - your report will pop up and show a record of reckless driving.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
sorry to hear this, they sound like a couple of serious a-holes.

the pedestrian situation in jersey city is pretty bad. no one EVER yields! even when there is a stop sign. and when its just a cross walk you can just forget about it, you are probably better off waiting for them to fly past you and try to cross when there are no cars, which is total b.s. i sometimes wonder if they realize crosswalk + pedestrians = STOP even without a sign.

but like most public safety issues, especially those related to street signs and traffic lights, nothing will happen until someone gets killed.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
In this type of situation you can file a police report but I don't think there is really anything they can do. Nobody got hurt, and even if they tracked these guys down it's just your word against theirs. Even with your witnesses I don't think that would even give them a reckless driving infraction.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad the city is rebuilding all the street corners on Jersey Avenue and Erie street without making any actual improvements for pedestrian safety like curb extensions. There is no speeding around street corners when the sidewalk sticks out into the road, and the distance pedestrians are in the street is shortened.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 16:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 14:28
Group:
Banned
This happened Saturday night to a friend and I as we tried to cross Columbus and Warren. This pig from NY in a beat up Mitsubishi totally aimed at us. I guess she didn't realize that pedestrians have right of way - but there are NEVER any cops when you need them. In fact, the only place I see them is at the PATH station when they go rummaging through my bag - of course I was wearing my birka when this happened...

Posted on: 2009/5/11 16:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I can?t help but mention that Dan Levin is running for mayor in this town and alone among the candidates he does not own a car.

I've been wondering who to vote for. I appreciate this info as I'll be casting my vote for Dan Levin, especially for this consideration.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 15:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Wonder where the plainclothes crosswalk enforcement detail was. Guess they were having coffee with the 15% beefed up uniformed presence detail we were promised.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 10:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
This is so sad on so many levels. I have noticed lately that drivers in this town are getting worse. Pedestrians in cross walks (me and you) are at the bottom of the food chain and the drivers are making it a point of reminding us of our status. I am always on foot in this town and at each corner we take our lives into our hands as automobile drivers flout all the laws of the city as well as the laws of common sense as they nearly kill us in order to shave two seconds off their drive time. At each corner I cross I warily eye the typical driver as he or she coasts forward the entire time I?m crossing in front of their car (with the light in my favor) hoping to make eye contact with them so I can at least be assured that my death under their wheels will register on them as they blather illegally into their cell phone. Don?t get me started on the dollar vans, the worst of all. I wonder how many people in positions of authority in this city actually walk on the sidewalks in this town? I can?t help but mention that Dan Levin is running for mayor in this town and alone among the candidates he does not own a car.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure it's the right precinct for where this happened, but you could try calling the non-emergency number of the precinct house I believe to be closest to where this happened, 201-547-5408. Alternatively, try going straight to the precinct house in person and file a report that way, the East District precinct is at 207 7th Street. They are open 24/7, far as I know.

Also - I have no idea if this website will do you any good, but try submitting a report about what happened on the website www.licenseplategenie.com - just look up the license plate number on the website and then type in what happened.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2009/5/11 3:00

Nearly run down by reckless driver today at Columbus/Grove, JC Police Unresponsive
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
I was at the corner of Columbus today at Grove Street, waited for the "walk" sign, then started walking across the street toward Duane Reade. In the left hand lane on Columbus, I spotted a beat up car with two young males, who clearly saw me walking in the middle of the crosswalk. The car suddenly revved its engine and and made a fast left hand turn straight into me, as if they were actually aiming for me (the driver was looking right at me), and did not stop. I quickly jumped backward and just narrowly missed being hit by the car. The young males laughed as they drove past me, then turned around and laughed some more. I caught the license plate as they drove away, VTV500, a NJ plate. People rushed towards me to make sure I was ok and I had a flood of witnesses who were appalled by the scene. Although I wasn't hurt, I was concerned the young males might hurt someone else, so I quickly called the 911, who took the information and assured me the police would arrive shortly and I could file a report, and hopefully the drivers could be tracked down as they may still be in the area. After waiting for 20 minutes, I called the JC police directly, and was told a car would come soon. After another 20 minutes of standing on the street corner, and still no one arriving (although I saw several JC police cars aimlessly driving around and clearly not looking for me-- I even tried to flag them down, to no avail), I called the police again. I was told the police would come "when they got around to it." After an hour I gave up and went home, left my cell number with the police for follow up. Of course I never heard from anyone.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 2:37

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017