Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Boycott A-1 Deli
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I kind of miss A-1 Deli. They were just such a presence at that spot, especially late at night getting off the Path. Does anybody know what the plans are for their old location? Also, does anybody know if the A-1 guys themselves will open up another 24-hour deli, or are they content operating out of Stella's?
it looks like some renovatoins oare going on in the former a-1 space. any idea what is coming?

I am pretty sure someone had stated in the past that the space is being converted into another RE agency, or that the one next door was expanding into it. That would be a shame.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I kind of miss A-1 Deli. They were just such a presence at that spot, especially late at night getting off the Path. Does anybody know what the plans are for their old location? Also, does anybody know if the A-1 guys themselves will open up another 24-hour deli, or are they content operating out of Stella's?
it looks like some renovatoins oare going on in the former a-1 space. any idea what is coming?

Posted on: 2015/1/9 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/6 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newbie2015 wrote:
I was not drunk/high/stupid. It was the deli on Christopher Columbus Drive & it always has spanish music playing. I thought I saw an A-1 sign there so I thought this was the A-1 deli you guys posted about.

A-1 was definitely never played spanish music when they were open.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SwitchboardGirl wrote:
[quote]
corybraiterman wrote:
.... this place?

did vegas grill change their signage recently?

No, there's a small sign they put out on the sidewalk that says "Welcome A-1 Deli Customers". That's where the confusion started...

ah, so stupid/drunk/high and now illiterate are still all in play.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 15:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
.... this place?

Resized Image

No, there's a small sign they put out on the sidewalk that says "Welcome A-1 Deli Customers". That's where the confusion started...

Posted on: 2015/1/6 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
.... this place?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/1/6 7:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/9 0:42
From VanVorstPark
Group:
Registered Users
I was not drunk/high/stupid. It was the deli on Christopher Columbus Drive & it always has spanish music playing. I thought I saw an A-1 sign there so I thought this was the A-1 deli you guys posted about.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

newbie2015 wrote:
I'm so sorry I didn't pay enough attention. I just read the subject of the thread & some previous posts & thought it was the A-1 deli that I had a bad experience with. I didn't even notice there's a A-1 deli on grove st. I just looked it up & read what happened there. So sad.

If you'd read my comment, then you'd notice that I said "paying my bill". I wasn't ripping into the deli to get quarters. I did infact purchase something from them & got the 1 dollar coin for them as the difference.

Also, sorry I wasn't clear in my previous post. When he gave me 3 quarters & said that's all he had, I handed them back to him & asked him to return the dollar. To that he loudly refused & asked me to get lost? There goes my dollar (what would have become 4 quarters for much needed laundry). I don't really care about you think my post says about me. It's more about what they did & how they treated their customer. They didn't want to give me the dollar back & then asked me to get out? This guy was a rude cheat. I'm sure if a guy would have been with me or even just another male customer in the store, he wouldn't be making vulgar faces, cheating or yelling at me.

So you let this jerk bully you? The solution was very simple & I have used it myself several times. You simply say that, "I am are leaving but the next time you see me I will be with the police". Leave the store, call the police (non-emergency number) & when the police arrive & are filled in, walk back in. When someone takes blatant advantage of you NEVER be afraid to push back.

Hmm, or you can decide your time and energy is worth more than 25 cents.

This is an issue beyond the 25 cents & goes to the heart of how people think they can treat each other. I guarantee if if the situation was reversed this jerk would be there with the police or his 'homies' & out in the street screaming that you were a thief & discriminating against him. This person is providing you with a service for which you pay & in turn you allow him a living & each person has reasonable expectations of civility & honesty for services rendered. We have become so "PC" that we have allowed ourselves to be walked all over the very people whom we treat with respect. You can be polite & civil but you do not need to tolerate the type of behavior encountered.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

newbie2015 wrote:
I'm so sorry I didn't pay enough attention. I just read the subject of the thread & some previous posts & thought it was the A-1 deli that I had a bad experience with. I didn't even notice there's a A-1 deli on grove st. I just looked it up & read what happened there. So sad.

If you'd read my comment, then you'd notice that I said "paying my bill". I wasn't ripping into the deli to get quarters. I did infact purchase something from them & got the 1 dollar coin for them as the difference.

Also, sorry I wasn't clear in my previous post. When he gave me 3 quarters & said that's all he had, I handed them back to him & asked him to return the dollar. To that he loudly refused & asked me to get lost? There goes my dollar (what would have become 4 quarters for much needed laundry). I don't really care about you think my post says about me. It's more about what they did & how they treated their customer. They didn't want to give me the dollar back & then asked me to get out? This guy was a rude cheat. I'm sure if a guy would have been with me or even just another male customer in the store, he wouldn't be making vulgar faces, cheating or yelling at me.

So you let this jerk bully you? The solution was very simple & I have used it myself several times. You simply say that, "I am are leaving but the next time you see me I will be with the police". Leave the store, call the police (non-emergency number) & when the police arrive & are filled in, walk back in. When someone takes blatant advantage of you NEVER be afraid to push back.

Hmm, or you can decide your time and energy is worth more than 25 cents.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Heightsbrat has it down.

So I'll repeat my question, but with proper dollar amounts....

you actually let yourself get robbed of a dollar by a store clerk? fux the matter with you?

(and him, for that matter, but mostly you)

a guy robbed you, and instead of doing anything about it, took it straight in the chute. you know where he works, and you did not call the police? your reaction, instead, is to post about some store that's been closed for months and calling some guy "vulgar"?

again, fux the matter with you?

also, what store ARE you talking about, since you apparently can't seem to figure out where you even are.

and if i may posit one possible theory in all this, given how daft you sound given your posts, maybe you were so drunk/high/stupid you also thought you got cheated out of money when in reality, you're just too drunk/high/stupid and this is all your fault?

Posted on: 2014/12/31 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newbie2015 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/30 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BeatrixKiddo wrote:
Stella's is 24 hours as is Vegas Grill, Stella's also sells bags of chips, snacks and cigarettes as well.

I knew some of the A-1 people were over at Stella's cause they had a sign in the window. Didn't know about Vegas Grill though.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Stella's is 24 hours as is Vegas Grill, Stella's also sells bags of chips, snacks and cigarettes as well.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
Vegas Grill is the name of the place on Columbus. The A1 guys work at Stellas late night though.

this is news. How late?

Posted on: 2014/12/30 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newbie2015 wrote:

sooooooo what deli are you talking about?

Posted on: 2014/12/30 17:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From VanVorstPark
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/30 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Vegas Grill is the name of the place on Columbus. The A1 guys work at Stellas late night though.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps he/she means the store on CC where the A1 sign has been placed to confused the average person?

Posted on: 2014/12/30 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
a) aren't they closed?
b) you actually let yourself get robbed of a quarter by a store clerk? fux the matter with you?

Right you are corybraiterman, A-1 has been closed for a couple of months. It wasn't long after that poor young man was killed outside their front door. When I worked downtown, I used to go there on a fairly regular basis & they were always pleasant. I was transferred & it was at least a year or so before I stopped in to purchase a coffee. The gentleman behind the counter stared at me through narrowed eyes for a moment then said "How have you been? I haven't seen you in a long time". Some people love to makeup stories.....makes them feel important.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
a) aren't they closed?
b) you actually let yourself get robbed of a quarter by a store clerk? fux the matter with you?

Posted on: 2014/12/30 11:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
You are out 25c trying to change one of those useless $1 coins? And you didn't buy anything with it?

Ripping into A1-Deli for 25c says more about you than them, imo.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 9:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From VanVorstPark
Group:
Registered Users
I won't go to A-1 again. In addition to be a liar, one of the guys who works there overnight kept staring at me, making vulgar faces at me while I was paying the bill.

I asked if he had 4 quarters in exchange for a 1 dollar coin. He took the one dollar coin from my hand & gave me only 3 quarters. He said he had no other coins & couldn't give me the remaining 25 cents. When I politely said , okay that's fine. Sorry, can I have my dollar coin back. He rudely said NO & GET LOST NOW.

will not be going there again ever. won't even pass through the sidewalk to avoid running into the vulgar man.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 7:51

Re: A1 Deli - rude service?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I agree thumanns is better. But I have ordered the same sandwhich at A-1 and it does differ in price. When you ask they teel you they have not changed the board yet. I'm sure any long time patrons will tell you the same

Posted on: 2009/9/16 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Happy to post here just to keep this post going. :)

Posted on: 2009/8/14 8:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
Please read through my posts to see if I said anyone was lying. I merely stated my own opinion and observations and gave some detail about the number of times I go in there so that the reader might decide what weight to give my comments. Same as you giving your opinion and observations.

Happy to boycott A-1.

I only use Lee & Perrin's Worcestershire myself.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 3:13
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 16:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:
They do not sell prosciutto.

Sure they do.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
LOL I guess I typed to fast and did not check. So sorry on frozen liver. LOL

That was stupid on my behalf.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:

They do not sell fine French cheese. They do not sell Frio Gras. They do not sell prosciutto.

Good luck my dear

What's Frio Gras?

Frozen liver.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
You can head up to Jersey Ave and stop at Marrow deli. A little further from the path but worth it. The owner used to work at A-1 and then opened his own place a really nice guy. He serves the same boarshead cold cuts cheaper and in my opinion fresher bread. He even offers a whole wheat sub roll and a some other harder roll. It always irritated me when A-1 would charge a different price then on the board then tell you it was for pickels or something.

How would you know they "always" charged a different price did you stand there all day and watch or had an inside scoop ? Don't tell me that you know this because you keep ordering this forever price changing sandwitch. Don't reward these idiots, & BTW Thumann's is better.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 10:58

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017