Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Downtown:Shots fired near Little League practice 6:08PM
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Crime is down though..according to Healy. Don't you all feel safe? I think the Mayor should have to stay in the most violent parts of the city for a few nights, I think you'd see a different attitude. The mayor of Newark did it didn't he?
Also, that area is definitely not downtown, I don't know what it's officially called but I call it the other side of the Highway where I don't ever wanna be and wish would go away, and I know i'll get criticism on that comment but I don't care because that's how it is!

Posted on: 2009/4/21 0:24

Re: Shots fired near Little League practice 6:08PM
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
I think Florence was a typo, they probably mean Fremont since Montgomery projects is two blocks from the field while Booker T is across the street.

I think you may well be right.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
GrovePath wrote: Terrible -- but it is the other side of the turnpike - up towards the Beacon and the housing projects -- as anyone who reads the news knows there have been many problems like this in this area. I hope they get the shooter(s). They might also want to check out who owns those two cars that were shot up.
View Larger Map
View Larger Map
I think Florence was a typo, they probably mean Fremont since Montgomery projects is two blocks from the field while Booker T is across the street.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
What an awesome way for these kids to grow up. Scumbags.

There should be stiffer penalties for location of where crimes happen. Like bonus points. If there were penalties at all...

Posted on: 2009/4/20 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Maybe it was the parents? You know how emotional they get about those all important Little League games.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 23:25

Shots fired near Little League practice 6:08PM
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Terrible -- but it is the other side of the turnpike - up towards the Beacon and the housing projects -- as anyone who reads the news knows there have been many problems like this in this area. I hope they get the shooter(s). They might also want to check out who owns those two cars that were shot up.
View Larger Map
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2009/4/20 23:17

Downtown:Shots fired near Little League practice 6:08PM
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Shots fired near Little League practice in Jersey City; coaches dive over kids to protect them
by Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal
Monday April 20, 2009, 3:40 PM

Shots fired on Bright Street near the Gateway Field in Jersey City had Little League coaches diving on top of kids to keep them safe Thursday evening, police confirmed for The Jersey Journal today.

Police were called to a housing complex on Bright Street between Merseles Street and Florence Street on a call of shots fired at 6:08 p.m. while the Roberto Clemente League had two teams of kids ages 7 to 14 practicing.

No injuries were reported, and no arrests have been made, police said.

An unoccupied silver Honda parked on Bright Street had two shots fired into its rear bumper and the tires were shot out of a white Bronco that was also parked and unoccupied, Jersey City Police spokesman Lt. Edgard Martinez said.

According to league officials, coaches dived on top of kids while other children stood around not knowing what to do.

One coach told the Journal he was standing on the mound of the fenced-off field with his team of 10 players ages 10 to 14 gathered around him for a huddle, when he heard a pop sound.

He then heard what he realized were multiple gunshots and began yelling at the kids to drop to the ground.

"I was terrified,'' the coach said. "It is one thing to help yourself but when you've got 10 kids you are looking out for it is terrifying."

Shell casings were recovered from the scene in front of 272 Bright St., Martinez said.

As for the league, they're not interested in returning to Gateway.

Danny Rivera, president of the Roberto Clemente League, said he has instructed coaches to suspend playing there until a new location can be found.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 22:02

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017