Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: What would you do with the Powerhouse???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
yikes wibbit. douch? indeed.

the building is part of JC history. it's really cool looking and about the only thing of any architectural interest over there (sorry if that's where you live but that's my opinion). i'd love to see it turned into a multi-use venue that could really benefit the larger community and create more appeal for the waterfront. more green space will just be filled with dog poop anyway.

as for how long it's taking? it's JC. plus these things take time. i'm psyched to see how it turns out. seems like the point of no turning back, what with all the PATH ads and all.

and again, yikes.

yikes indeed, i probably went a little too far with my comments, feels like competing in the special olympics...

anyway i am all for preserving the factory but something has to be done..soon. That thing has been around forever, after the ceremony with so much fanfair i was sure work would start to at least stabilize the structure, but nada. Also the streets around there could really use some improvements too.

Posted on: 2009/8/24 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Why do YOU live here? Because of the gorgeous POWERHOUSE?

I wouldn't go that far.

When I moved to Jersey City, I originally did so largely because rent in NYC was too expensive and I was looking for a convenient commute, etc. I did not initially have too much involvement in the community.

I then had a chance to take the Artist's studio tour, formerly at 111 First St (which I suppose you thought was an eyesore as well, of course, now it is an ACTUAL pile of bricks and the so called Koolhaas "masterpiece" may not be built for years if at all). I met some guy, by himself at a table, with a petition to "Save the Powerhouse." I wasn't sure what he was talking about, but I learned a little bit about it and thought "this place is a lot more interesting than I first thought."

I ended up going to a Van Vorst Park Association meeting, where that same gentleman gave a slideshow on the history of the Powerhouse as well as the neighboring buildings. I ended up going on some walking tours, learning about the Powerhouse, the Bergen Arches, the Sixth Street Embankment, any other landmarks that made me realize that this city had a fascinating history, that was right before us. I learned about an abandoned open air Reservoir up in Jersey City Heights (another "pile of bricks" I suppose) that became a self-contained eco-system and that people were using for kayaking and catch and release fishing.

I met people who had 19th century houses that had become completely decrepit, in one case nearly completely burned down, and restored them to eye-popping splendor, when many people would have just built an undistinguished piece of crap, perhaps a small scale version of the place where you live.

I learned of one of the oldest churches in the city that, once a place of worship for the Hudson County elite, became a center of the civil rights movement in Jersey City. Some people now call that a pile of bricks as well.

And along with that, I met lots of great people doing really great things. That lone soul at a fold out card table was John Gomez, who has since founded the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, an organization that has educated and entertained thousands of people with their tours, awards ceremonies and workshops. John also single handedly prepared the nomination of the Powerhouse to the National Register of Historic Places, achieving a remarkable victory over the Port Authority, who objected mightily to the designation.

I met people from the various neighborhood groups in the city, and other groups like the Embankment Preservation Coalition and the Reservoir Preservation Alliance. John and many of these people have become dear friends of mine.

I had a chance to get involved in local affairs, serving on the board of directors of the JCLC, and even serving as President for three and a half years. I learned about our government and elected officials, and have had a chance to butt heads with them. Sometimes getting their support, other times not getting their support.

In short, no, I can't say the Powerhouse is why I live here. On the other hand, the Powerhouse and other Jersey City landmarks have unquestionably played a role in cementing my ties and affections for this City, as well as encouraging me to be involved locally in various ways. Judging from the people I've met along the way, I can say that many others have had similar experiences.

Yes, I understand that I am not as important as people who live in Newport and post anonymously on jclist. My wisdom, my insight, my "snark" level and my hipster cynicism quotient will never match theirs. But that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Posted on: 2009/8/24 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I have NEVER declared my contempt for where I live, Newport is what it is, cold, completely safe, and convenient, VERY convenient, but I HAVE declared my contempt for ugliness nearby, expecially when godforsakingly foolish people want to PRESERVE the ugliness in the name of the OLD...or worse, MORE RETAIL!
(Yeah I fought hard AGAINST the doofs trying to save the old ramshackle Betz Brewery until the half still standing was finally torn down for housing.)

Wake up! Saving falling down monstrosities does not make any Jersey City dillettantes into Jackie Kennedy fighting to save and restore Grand Central Station. If there is nothing on the waterfront worth saving because the whole place was a deserted railyard, ACCEPT IT and move on into the 21sy century.
Bulldoze the Powerhouse and if open space is too ghastly a thought, have Geary design something GOOD for this side of the river. Or put in a municipal pool unless frightened too many of THEM would come.

Why do YOU live here? Because of the gorgeous POWERHOUSE or the beautious Embankment, which until someone had the good sense to tear down the connecting bridges covering every street was used as a huge municipal pissoir and graffitti dump.

Posted on: 2009/8/24 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Yep,

I'm paying $42.50 per month for a 3 bedroom apartment...2 baths, 6 closets, 2 of which are walk-ins, but the doormen are sometimes not prompt.

Telling someone to MOVE because he doesn't llke a couple eyesores in the neighborhood that others are intent on saving "becasue they could be turned into RETAIL" is a rather stupid comment, no?

"If you don't like it move" is the classic oldest way to determine the speaker is a moron. It's just a variant on the ancient "If you don't like it here, move to RUSSIA"...that's how you could tell morons several decades back.

I prefer, "if you don't like it CHANGE it"...or in the case of the Embankment, DYNAMITE IT.

There is a huge difference between telling someone to move (something I have not done) and asking someone why on earth they remain in a place they go out of their way to declare their contempt for. I find it fascinating. And I would love a bullsh*t-free response, but won't hold my breath for one.

Xerxes: Change you can Believe In. ROFL.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Yep,

I'm paying $42.50 per month for a 3 bedroom apartment...2 baths, 6 closets, 2 of which are walk-ins, but the doormen are sometimes not prompt.

Telling someone to MOVE because he doesn't llke a couple eyesores in the neighborhood that others are intent on saving "becasue they could be turned into RETAIL" is a rather stupid comment, no?

"If you don't like it move" is the classic oldest way to determine the speaker is a moron. It's just a variant on the ancient "If you don't like it here, move to RUSSIA"...that's how you could tell morons several decades back.

I prefer, "if you don't like it CHANGE it"...or in the case of the Embankment, DYNAMITE IT.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:

Or they could leave it stand there and crumble for 50 years...last scenario most likely unless the next real estate boom intervenes when it becomes more apartments for second rate wall streeters and immigrant visa laborers to live in.

That would certainly earn it the name "Newport South" and would be most in keeping with the, um, 'character' of the, um, surrounding 'neighborhood.' (Good job describing exactly what where you live is like.)

Xerx, if you detest your environment, and your landlord, as much as it sounds like you do, why oh WHY do you remain? Did you end up in a subsidized apartment or something?

As for Cordish, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Cordish was awarded the redevelopment contract, but wasn't under the impression that they were given any ownership interest. Not sure about this, can Joshua or somebody else jump in?

Posted on: 2009/8/22 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
Unless I'm a little behind, wasn't this all sold to Cordish in 2006 or so? Baltimore Inner Harbor developers, plus a whole lot of other retail and entertainment venues in other cities. They generally do a decent job, though it's certainly no secret that it will become some kind of retail/commercial development. This is how they make money, you see.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 12:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
You could shore it up and then aluminum side it in aquamarine to match what the Hudson is supposed to look like and call it Newport Mall South...visitors would come from all parts of the world to eat at the renowned food court...with a BLIMPIES!

Then when it falls down on a crowded Saturday afternoon, everyone can sue.

Such opportunities being missed...I hope SIMON PROPERTY GROUP is reading this.
And have you thought that the Powerhouse is BLOCKS from the nearest Starbucks...a natural for a MEGA-Starbucks!

Or they could fill it with French impressionist paintings and give MOMA a run for its money.

Or they could leave it stand there and crumble for 50 years...last scenario most likely unless the next real estate boom intervenes when it becomes more apartments for second rate wall streeters and immigrant visa laborers to live in.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 10:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
And I'll take the National Register of Historic Places' word for what qualifies as "historical" over yours any day of the week, nitz.

Game.

Set.

Match.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Open Space, Open Space, Open Space.

Why does there have to be a BUILDING on every lot on the Jersey City waterfront?

Why does an HISTORIC BUILDING that's on the National Register of Historic Places have to be torn down to accomodate a request for open space where there are acres of parking lots and undeveloped parcels adjacent to the historic building? And when your landlord has been utterly irresponsible in his failure to provide open space?

In answer to the heading of this thread, I say we chain Xerxes inside the building all winter. Doesn't do much in the long-term, but it'd sure be fun.

i know it's difficult for you to comprehend a well planned neighborhood considering the ghetto you live in. But do realize not everyone prefers to live next to an abandoned warehouse like you. A residential area requires some green space, which is lacking in that area surrounded by all the supposely luxury high rises.

There is nothing "historical" about an empty shell of a factory. And if you tried to read this thread instead of making more pointless diatribes about chaining xerex inside (wtf?), you will realize most of us who actually do live there dont mind if the building is kept and turned into some retail/art gallery, if it's not green. We just dont want an abandoned factory that is about to collapse...

and seriously 160 posts in 1 month since you joined? i know it's difficult to walk outside from your jailceil of a home, but do take it easy on the inter web will ya....

/douche off

yikes wibbit. douch? indeed.

the building is part of JC history. it's really cool looking and about the only thing of any architectural interest over there (sorry if that's where you live but that's my opinion). i'd love to see it turned into a multi-use venue that could really benefit the larger community and create more appeal for the waterfront. more green space will just be filled with dog poop anyway.

as for how long it's taking? it's JC. plus these things take time. i'm psyched to see how it turns out. seems like the point of no turning back, what with all the PATH ads and all.

and again, yikes.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:

Why does there have to be a BUILDING on every lot on the Jersey City waterfront?

Why does an HISTORIC BUILDING that's on the National Register of Historic Places have to be torn down to accomodate a request for open space where there are acres of parking lots and undeveloped parcels adjacent to the historic building? And when your landlord has been utterly irresponsible in his failure to provide open space?

In answer to the heading of this thread, I say we chain Xerxes inside the building all winter. Doesn't do much in the long-term, but it'd sure be fun.

i know it's difficult for you to comprehend a well planned neighborhood considering the ghetto you live in. But do realize not everyone prefers to live next to an abandoned warehouse like you. A residential area requires some green space, which is lacking in that area surrounded by all the supposely luxury high rises.

There is nothing "historical" about an empty shell of a factory. And if you tried to read this thread instead of making more pointless diatribes about chaining xerex inside (wtf?), you will realize most of us who actually do live there dont mind if the building is kept and turned into some retail/art gallery, if it's not green. We just dont want an abandoned factory that is about to collapse...

and seriously 160 posts in 1 month since you joined? i know it's difficult to walk outside from your jailceil of a home, but do take it easy on the inter web will ya....

/douche off

wibbit, you couldn't turn your doucheyness off if you tried.

stay classy, overcompensator!

P.S. - Did you really just refer to Newport/the PAD/Exchange Place as a "well planned neighborhood"? And the forest of almost completely lifeless, uninspired, glass-and-brick hi-rises along the water front "picture perfect"? ROFL. And I'll take the National Register of Historic Places' word for what qualifies as "historical" over yours any day of the week, nitz.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:

/douche off

Posted on: 2009/8/21 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:

Posted on: 2009/8/21 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:

Take a wild guess.

A park would be nice, but we know that isn't going to happen. It is going to be either residential or commercial.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/8/21 10:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
http://jcpowerhouse.org/ has a nice slideshow of all the damage they have to repair.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 9:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
It would be great if it would be used as some sort of community space, to bring together the people from all neighborhoods. I've said before that there's a lot of talent in JC, and a lot of that talent is being used in jobs in NYC. So be it. But if there could be some sort of education center where city youth can go to learn about...art, music, finance, writing, whatever, all taught by volunteers from around the city... I think that would be great. it could be a great way to bridge the disconnect between the haves and the have nots, and give some kids something to do after school. It's just a fantasy, I know, but ...

Posted on: 2009/8/19 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Just a thought....would it be cost effective to renovate as offices and put the port authority in there. Take the facility over on twelth st and the empty warehouse across the street and turn the whole thing into a ball park or mixed use venue? Just spitballing.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Peter Noone? From Herman's Hermits? He knows what is happening with the Powerhouse? That's weird.

All that is official is that a project is underway to prevent the thing from crumbling. An actual development plan is not underway yet.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
so noone knows what is happening....

Posted on: 2009/8/19 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
It can be a nice retail space without having to be a strip mall. And the area is big enough to support retail and art. A small theatre, some studios, a market, and a few restaurants could all exist peacefully there, I think.

Think big:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covent_Garden

http://www.portobellomarket.org/

Posted on: 2009/8/19 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
They are waiting for it to fall over of its own weight and age...ang good riddance when it does. Then somebody will build another high rise tower with a juicy tax abatement and call it Powerhouse Pointe'.

I think the area can use park and open space but I'm not a developer and thus I don't have the satchels of money to pass to the City Council and Mayor (I presume the Deputy mayor is awaiting trial so she's out of the loop.)

More junky retail crapola is the worst idea of all. Hasn't the world got enough strip malls?

Posted on: 2009/8/19 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
bump, does anyone know what is going on with this project? after the whole fanfair ceremony and promotions, NOTHING happened.

It's such an eyesore. I am no expert on historical buildings, but is this building really tha special? isnt it just a warehouse.... I dont mind if the just level it and put some green there, it will be a lot cheaper too.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
How about a public school? Sure could use one of those that is state of the art. Pay for it with stimulus money. If that money is good for Goldman Sachs, should be good for our kids.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 10:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/30 11:03
Group:
Registered Users
I know this is not very "high minded" of me............. But this area could use some serious foot traffic. It's a dead space full of towers in the park. I know this goes against many of your faux urban mind frames, but.........................
Retail, retail, retail is what downtown JC needs. All kinds of retail. Storefronts & streetwalls with life.
Have actual, real live people walking around the streets, window shopping, buying things, getting hungry & eating at restaurants ect, ect.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 5:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
not a mall, but a market type setting would work great. Where people sells fresh fruit/veggies/seafood, with restaurants around it.

Or level it and put a park with water fountain there, it would do wonders to the landscape.

Either way i wish they would start, after the ceremony i dont see any progress at all. It's such an eyesore in otherwise a picture perfect view...

Posted on: 2009/8/8 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm afraid despite some ambitious window-dressing, the idea seems to be to take a unusual building and turn it into a generic shopping mall like the failed Fulton Market with even less foot traffic.

How about the long-awaited New Jersey Museum of Science and Trucking? Newark's had it's chance and failed to deliver and if we don't act quickly, Secaucus will grab the prize.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 3:39
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Bull-Doze the falling apart monstrosity...clear the lot and make a park. Cheap and useful to all who live nearby.

+2

Posted on: 2009/8/8 1:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
I've always thought the Powerhouse was a very cool building with potential to be restored and used as a performing arts venue.

I was curious when I spotted a sign recently on the PATH during my evening commute announcing plans for the Powerhouse.

Here's the site. I like the vision. Only question is when it will actually come to fruition.

http://www.jcpowerhouse.org/

Posted on: 2009/8/8 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Redevelopment Agency

Posted on: 2009/6/18 18:45

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login