Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Gentrification?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Erica wrote:
(PS Not to go all grammar police on you, but I used to make a similar error with a word I'd heard but not seen and wish someone had told me sooner - so, FYI, it's "straits" not "straights.")

As in the band Dire Straits, or a body of water.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThirdGrove wrote:
Crazy_Chester: I find his quote and analysis really interesting. I want to take a crack at it. If the premise is that new people moved in but no older ones were displaced, then perhaps the problem arises when people in the same economic situation as the older stock of residents attempt to move into previously affordable communities. Potential example, a grandmother lives in Harlem since the 70s, her block has had an influx of new college aged residents. She doesn't feel compelled to move, but her grandson in the same economic straights cannot find the same quality housing as his grandmother near her location.

If that conclusion make sense, gentrification slowly pushes out communities by not allow those communities to replenish themselves.

I haven't read the actual paper, just the article in New York magazine, so I don't know if he looked at longer term demographics. I think he was really just examining the main complaint against gentrification, which is that more affluent newcomers are pushing existing residents out of their neighborhoods - he found this not to be the case. In the neighborhoods he researched, existing residents enjoyed the benefits of gentrification (like safer streets and better schools) without facing any downside.

But what you suggest about longer-term consequences could certainly be true. While I'd like to hope that, 2 generations later, the grandson would be one of the college-educated gentrifiers moving into his grandmother's old neighborhood and not stuck in a cycle of poverty, your scenario is probably more likely in America today.

(PS Not to go all grammar police on you, but I used to make a similar error with a word I'd heard but not seen and wish someone had told me sooner - so, FYI, it's "straits" not "straights.")

Posted on: 2009/12/17 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AmyJCNJ wrote:
I beleive gentrification is a myth because there is a larger economic issue at hand here that is much bigger than all of this. Real estate price inflation is eroding each next generations standard of living and we are living in era of high inflation. It doesn't matter if you live in an urban or suburban area. I grew in CT in an area that in the 70's and 80's was middle class but now had changed so much that only the rich can now afford to buy homes there. I moved to Jersey City many years ago becasue this is what I could afford at that time. If I were moving here today I would not be able to afford to live where I do. Yes renters will be pushed out of so called gentrifying areas but people who buy property are pretty much anchored.

Perception is half the game. Recently I had a choice to live anywhere I wanted to in Jersey City I chose to stay in the Heights section. It was affordable and the ammenities I get make me feel I am getting double the value. Country village, and Socielty Hill are a far reach away might as well live in Bayonne, Downtown is tight, no parking, and the value you get with those cubby holes is as if you were living in Tokyo. Maybe if people started moaning and complaining about the Downtown section the prices will drop. I don't see the excitment about living there what makes it so different than the rest of J.C. ?

Posted on: 2009/12/17 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThirdGrove wrote:
Crazy_Chester: I find his quote and analysis really interesting. I want to take a crack at it. If the premise is that new people moved in but no older ones were displaced, then perhaps the problem arises when people in the same economic situation as the older stock of residents attempt to move into previously affordable communities. Potential example, a grandmother lives in Harlem since the 70s, her block has had an influx of new college aged residents. She doesn't feel compelled to move, but her grandson in the same economic straights cannot find the same quality housing as his grandmother near her location.

If that conclusion make sense, gentrification slowly pushes out communities by not allow those communities to replenish themselves.

Wow! excellent analysis!

I beleive gentrification is a myth because there is a larger economic issue at hand here that is much bigger than all of this. Real estate price inflation is eroding each next generations standard of living and we are living in era of high inflation. It doesn't matter if you live in an urban or suburban area. I grew in CT in an area that in the 70's and 80's was middle class but now had changed so much that only the rich can now afford to buy homes there. I moved to Jersey City many years ago becasue this is what I could afford at that time. If I were moving here today I would not be able to afford to live where I do. Yes renters will be pushed out of so called gentrifying areas but people who buy property are pretty much anchored.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 17:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/17 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/10 16:39
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/12/17 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The summary of the article was basically urban areas were so gutted by white flight that the neighborhoods hit rock bottom and couldn't support basic services, but once gentrification took hold, population density increased and brought in money that improved available services which was better for everyone. Moreover, people often aren't pushed out of gentrified neighborhoods.

Your talking about gentrified areas out side of NYC right?

"Back in 2003, Lance Freeman, an associate professor of urban planning at Columbia, wanted to find out just how much displacement had occurred in two predominantly black, rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods: Clinton Hill and Harlem (Freeman?s home). But ?much to my surprise,? he wrote in his book There Goes the ?Hood, he didn?t find any causal relationship between gentrification and displacement. More surprising, he found that 'poor residents and those without a college education were actually less likely to move if they resided in gentrifying neighborhoods.' "

Im sorry im in another world, I didnt realize this was from an article. I was just curious because there really arnt any neighborhoods in NYC that are completely undeveloped aside from maybe Hunts Point and maybe Red Hook? Therefore gentrification IS pushing people out. The only situation where gentrification didnt push people out is maybe Long Island City. Its not like Harlem , the LES, Washington Heights or Bushwick (just examples) were underdeveloped at any point in recent history, aside from some burned out shells left from the 70's and 80's.

So, your research conflicts with that of the Urban Planning professor from Columbia?

Posted on: 2009/12/16 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The summary of the article was basically urban areas were so gutted by white flight that the neighborhoods hit rock bottom and couldn't support basic services, but once gentrification took hold, population density increased and brought in money that improved available services which was better for everyone. Moreover, people often aren't pushed out of gentrified neighborhoods.

"Back in 2003, Lance Freeman, an associate professor of urban planning at Columbia, wanted to find out just how much displacement had occurred in two predominantly black, rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods: Clinton Hill and Harlem (Freeman?s home). But ?much to my surprise,? he wrote in his book There Goes the ?Hood, he didn?t find any causal relationship between gentrification and displacement. More surprising, he found that 'poor residents and those without a college education were actually less likely to move if they resided in gentrifying neighborhoods.' "

Im sorry im in another world, I didnt realize this was from an article. I was just curious because there really arnt any neighborhoods in NYC that are completely undeveloped aside from maybe Hunts Point and maybe Red Hook? Therefore gentrification IS pushing people out. The only situation where gentrification didnt push people out is maybe Long Island City. Its not like Harlem , the LES, Washington Heights or Bushwick (just examples) were underdeveloped at any point in recent history, aside from some burned out shells left from the 70's and 80's.

Posted on: 2009/12/15 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/12/15 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

No, the article focused on research into the effects of gentrification in Harlem (Manhattan) and Clinton Hill (Brooklyn). @ianmac47's summary is right on - and the article is pretty short, so you can read it yourself in about a minute.

Posted on: 2009/12/15 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/12/15 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's from an interesting angle, implying that displacement of poorer under-educated locals is a myth. I kind of agree. Some of the original locals have moved away on my block However I know of at least a two instances where they moved to improved standards like a house in the suburbs or to the countryside. Other than those two families when I think of my block it hasn't changed that much in the last 10 years. It's all the same faces. Actually it's the yuppies/hipsters/whatever you want to call them who have moved more often on my block.

Posted on: 2009/12/15 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/15 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A new article came out today in NY Mag regarding this topic:

What?s Wrong With Gentrification?

I haven't read it yet, but I thought some of you might be interested.

Posted on: 2009/12/15 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nightgownposse wrote:
are there enforced hours for the basketball courts? maybe they should lock it up after a certain hour?
I know that there are rules about having your dog leashed and I sure do see a lot of unleashed dogs in Hamilton park.

Park closes at 10pm. If you see games going on after 10pm call the Police non-emergency number 201-547-5477. I have done so twice this spring and both times they sent out cops to chase them away. If you haven't noticed, the HP basketball court is becoming a "destination" for people from other parts of the city to play late into the night. We'd better nip it in the bud or this summer is gonna be a nightmare.
And Please! There is no law against calling the cops night after night if a problem persists. Get'em out of there and get some sleep. 201-547-5477.

I would feel a lot safer walking around at night if there were guys playing basketball in the park. Same goes for open street cafes, open bars, etc.

A neighborhood that is void of activity at night is ripe for crime.

If basketball does not make the neighborhood a "destination" for people from other neighborhoods, then maybe other activities might.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 11:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
a group of people who make his neighborhood look like crap, plus loud noises early on saturday mornings......what's wrong with complaining about that?

What is always amazing to me is that the same people who complain about that noise (along with the mister softee truck) have absolutely no issues with the GD Fresh Direct truck idling with the loud compressor going for 20 minutes.

I guess in the yuppie's mind, it's alright because one is "low-life PR noise" while the other is "upper-income, gentrification related noise".

Posted on: 2009/4/8 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sandstone wrote:
Calling the cops away from things happening at 10:00 p.m. to chase kids off the courts is somehow different from calling them to enforce leash laws?

Once again. Call the cops all you want for whatever reason. My information is for those people that live along the north side of the park and who put up with the screaming, yelling and littering that goes on at all hours of the night because of the BB courts. Call the cops non-emergency number 201-547-5477. I would suggest that you co-ordinate with your neighbors to "chain call" the cops. Lots of calls, one after the other will get a response. As for the dogs? Go out in the park and initiate a conversation with dog owners you have a problem with. Good Luck trying the same tactic with the basketball players.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
Well for me, dogs off leashes when I am trying to go to sleep doesn't bother me at all. Leashes are required for safety reasons. If a dog is meandering 5 feet away from its owner, I don't see why a leash is needed.

Because dogs can be unpredictable, something can set them off for no reason and endanger the safety of others and themselves. I own a two year old pit bull that is ALWAYS kept on a leash. How would you feel if you saw my dog meandering 5 feet away from me off leash because I, as the owner, know my dog so well and felt he would never disobey me. Or if I felt nothing ever could spook him into going after another dog or person because he would NEVER do that. If you saw him off leash would you feel nervous or intimidated by it? We'll some people do, rightfully so. If I am required to keep my pit bull on a leash BY LAW then so should others, accross the board no matter what the breed. I can't tell you how many times an unleashed dog has come out of nowhere while I am walking my dog and run right up to my dog setting him off. My dog likes some dogs and dislikes others. Why should I be subjected to unleashed dogs charging my dog because some owner TRUSTS his dog to obey him. Leash your dog ...NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
Hippo Crates! Ha! I miss that little gem!

They should combine the dog run and the basketball courts but not require the owners to pick up the poop. That way, less basketball at night, less poop on the street.

This is one of the best ideas I've read on this list. Sheer genius!

Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
Well for me, dogs off leashes when I am trying to go to sleep doesn't bother me at all. Leashes are required for safety reasons. If a dog is meandering 5 feet away from its owner, I don't see why a leash is needed.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 12:59
Group:
Registered Users
Calling the cops away from things happening at 10:00 p.m. to chase kids off the courts is somehow different from calling them to enforce leash laws?

Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Vigilante - I certainly agree with you. I called the cops once on a Friday night a couple weeks ago, but they never showed up.

I'm sure there are cops driving around the area. Driving by the park to make sure no one is playing basketball should be something they are required to do.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nightgownposse wrote:
are there enforced hours for the basketball courts? maybe they should lock it up after a certain hour?
I know that there are rules about having your dog leashed and I sure do see a lot of unleashed dogs in Hamilton park.

Park closes at 10pm. If you see games going on after 10pm call the Police non-emergency number 201-547-5477. I have done so twice this spring and both times they sent out cops to chase them away. If you haven't noticed, the HP basketball court is becoming a "destination" for people from other parts of the city to play late into the night. We'd better nip it in the bud or this summer is gonna be a nightmare.
And Please! There is no law against calling the cops night after night if a problem persists. Get'em out of there and get some sleep. 201-547-5477.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 16:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/14 13:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/4/8 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Hippo Crates! Ha! I miss that little gem!

They should combine the dog run and the basketball courts but not require the owners to pick up the poop. That way, less basketball at night, less poop on the street.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 16:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'd do anything to get that basketball court taken down.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

trp3 wrote:
yeah, i mean.....i didn't think GenomeGeneral's post was bad at all.

a group of people who make his neighborhood look like crap, make it look dirty, plus loud noises early on saturday mornings......what's wrong with complaining about that? You people on this forum complain about things far less than that ALL THE TIME. hell, you have entire threads dedicated to them.

If he didn't include "Puerto Ricans", would it have made any difference?

I can't imagine what would have happened if "Puerto Ricans" had been replaced with "Blacks".

The sensitivity on this forum is incredible.

nightgownposse wrote:

Quote:
love it or leave it

Really? Love it or leave it? So you've never complained about anything on this forum? If not, there will be. You live in Jersey City, not an island paradise.

I agree. Too many PC people around here. I love the outrage about yuppies with dogs in Hamilton Park and yet dead silence on the Basketball courts and the 2am games. Hippo-crates.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
[/quote]

I hate Skynyrd! Play something else when you're driving around. Promise me when you do leave JC that you will invite me over to do some skeet shooting and cow tipping. Then I can listen to you whine about your new Christian conservative neighbors.
oh and trp3, "The sensitivity on this forum is incredible" ?
you're right... stop being so sensitive. Gnomegeneralization I'm sure is a big strong dude who can take some sarcastic comments.[/quote]

Actually yea, I'll probably become crushthedemoniac there. Then the breeders at the mall will bitch about the liberals from JC moving into their town and bringing down the morals of their children. I promise we'll invite you over to tip cows, eat shrooms and shoot rifles. Cept you gotta leave your nightgown back in JC.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 14:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/14 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
"seriously trollgeneral! love it or leave it. you should move out to the country and get yourself some cows."

Yah dude I'll be movin to the country and eatin me some peaches as soon as the condo sells. Cept the Puerto Ricans are making my street look less desirable to potential buyers. So if my place don't sell, I'm gettin a pickup truck with a horn that plays Lynyrd Skynyrd and buyin a rifle. Goddamit - eff whole foods - we need us a wallmart!

I hate Skynyrd! Play something else when you're driving around. Promise me when you do leave JC that you will invite me over to do some skeet shooting and cow tipping. Then I can listen to you whine about your new Christian conservative neighbors.
oh and trp3, "The sensitivity on this forum is incredible" ?
you're right... stop being so sensitive. Gnomegeneralization I'm sure is a big strong dude who can take some sarcastic comments.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
yeah, i mean.....i didn't think GenomeGeneral's post was bad at all.

a group of people who make his neighborhood look like crap, make it look dirty, plus loud noises early on saturday mornings......what's wrong with complaining about that? You people on this forum complain about things far less than that ALL THE TIME. hell, you have entire threads dedicated to them.

If he didn't include "Puerto Ricans", would it have made any difference?

I can't imagine what would have happened if "Puerto Ricans" had been replaced with "Blacks".

The sensitivity on this forum is incredible.

nightgownposse wrote:

Quote:
love it or leave it

Really? Love it or leave it? So you've never complained about anything on this forum? If not, there will be. You live in Jersey City, not an island paradise.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 13:29

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017