Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Why don't JC restaurants/bars do that well?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

CubaLibre wrote:

And have you ever been to Ireland?

Can't say I have.

I have. To me, an Irish pub is more than just an Irish name, a poster of Yeats and Guiness on tap. It must have Irish music, a sessiun once a week, lot of wood and some cozy areas with those benches with plaid cushions. As a person of Irish decent, I don't consider PJ Ryans and O'Connells too authentic, despite their names. Nothing against them. A better example is Paddy Reilly's in Manhattan.

Back to the subject at hand, I agree Newark and Grove could be better walking destinations if it got some better stores and cleaned itself up a bit. Aren't they supposed to start a Newark Cleanup soon? That could help improve things.

An authentic Irish Pub would also welcome the entire family. If you've ever been to Ireland you will know that the Pubs are great gathering places for families. Yes, kids too.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 16:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 14:28
Group:
Banned
Here's ANOTHER reason not to eat in Hoboken:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30282481/?GT1=43001

And Alan Wright. Saabconv is my handle, not my car!

Posted on: 2009/4/20 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
[...]
So it takes him 3 years to find someone who was willing to shell that out, who ends up backing out. [...]

The person wanting to rent Vladimir's didn't back out, he was murdered.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 5:23
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
People also feel safer in Hoboken!

Posted on: 2009/4/20 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
So it takes him 3 years to find someone who was willing to shell that out, who ends up backing out. He could sign a lower amount for a shorter period of time. Yes, I see it as NO money, cause that's exactly what he got for it this month, last month, the month before, etc....

I'm not saying he's not a nice person. And obviously, he knows his business more than I do. What I do know is that it's a shame a good location has gone empty for so long, and that 10 Gs is a lot for that location. I wish him the best.

Yeah, I agree 10G's is ridiculous for that space IMO, and I too would love to see a restaurant, etc, there, but the other prior restaurants all closed with not enough business to make a profit. Once (or if) the so-called "Hamilton Square" project is finished and if they are able to find buyers, it may then make the retail site of Vladimir's worth more per sq/ft then now, but that's several years away.

However, irrespective of the monies he's lost over that period of time the space is empty till when he does rent it, you simply subtract that "past value" minus the "future value" he projects and if he's right (I don't say he will be)then he could quickly recoup the "lost monies" with future rent .

That's his gamble, not mine.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 23:04
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I know the owner, Vladimir, quite well as he was my landlord at one time back in the 90's. Vlad owns the brownstone next door to Basic and that entire corner. Prior to the economic collapse brougnt on by Republicans ( ), Vladimir had a contract for a pizza shop to open there that was willing to pay that 10K rent. Since Vladimir pays little taxes on the place it's worth his while to bide his time to see if someone will once again pay that amount.

You see it as "making NO money" while Vladimir sees it as little risk on his part for a big future payday.

So it takes him 3 years to find someone who was willing to shell that out, who ends up backing out. He could sign a lower amount for a shorter period of time. Yes, I see it as NO money, cause that's exactly what he got for it this month, last month, the month before, etc....

I'm not saying he's not a nice person. And obviously, he knows his business more than I do. What I do know is that it's a shame a good location has gone empty for so long, and that 10 Gs is a lot for that location. I wish him the best.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
It won't be possible to get a liqour license to open a bar at Comfort Bistro. Unless you have silly money to spend.

One of the reasons the spot next to Basic is going for so much is that it is has grandfathered in restaraunt zoning approval and associated liquor license.

Robin.

That makes a bit more sense. But still 10 grand a month is a lot. That place has been empty for years. Maybe the owner should rethink the business plan. They're currently making NO money while the residents are deprived of a possible establishment.

I've posted this before in one of the other countless threads that pop up here on restaurants, etc, but here it is again.

I know the owner, Vladimir, quite well as he was my landlord at one time back in the 90's. Vlad owns the brownstone next door to Basic and that entire corner. Prior to the economic collapse brougnt on by Republicans ( ), Vladimir had a contract for a pizza shop to open there that was willing to pay that 10K rent. Since Vladimir pays little taxes on the place it's worth his while to bide his time to see if someone will once again pay that amount.

You see it as "making NO money" while Vladimir sees it as little risk on his part for a big future payday.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 21:46
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Humm, sounds like I am wrong then Sam. I spoke to Vlad and he said the restaraunt zoning was grandfathered in. I guess then that does not include a liquor license.

The Embankment seemed to circumvent the zoning restrictions, I imagine through being part of new construction, I wonder where their liquor license came from.

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
Your point on the liquor license is rather interesting. Under it's last two restaurant names and owners, they were never able to serve any alcohol due to a lack of liquor license. I moved to downtown in 2003, and there was a nice looking Italian restaurant there, with not so good food, but I forget the name of it. Then it became something else for awhile, and again no liquor license.

Quote:

tern wrote:

One of the reasons the spot next to Basic is going for so much is that it is has grandfathered in restaraunt zoning approval and associated liquor license.

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
It won't be possible to get a liqour license to open a bar at Comfort Bistro. Unless you have silly money to spend.

Robin.

That makes a bit more sense. But still 10 grand a month is a lot. That place has been empty for years. Maybe the owner should rethink the business plan. They're currently making NO money while the residents are deprived of a possible establishment.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
saabconv wrote:

Quote:

Yes Alanwright - please take me to an "overpriced, pretentious, restaurant" - you figured me out....

Let's just take that Saab convertible up to White Mana.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

986 wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

CubaLibre wrote:

Can't say I have.

It must have Irish music, a sessiun once a week, lot of wood and some cozy areas with those benches with plaid cushions.

Sounds like a tourist pub in Temple Bar, West Clare or Shop St. in Galway. Nothing wrong with that, but I suppose it depends on what you mean by authentic.

Even those are more authentic. Maybe it's just because I like Irish music. Actually, the thing that makes an Irish pub most Irish is good craic!!

Posted on: 2009/4/16 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
I believe the AC pub is the Ri' Ra. It is actually a chain, but the bars are fairly authentic and the food is good.

One of these in the Powerhouse would get things going around here.

http://www.rira.com/index.php?id=13

No, Ri Ra is Ri Ra. That's in Tropicana.

The Irish Pub, named exactly that: "Irish Pub" is on St James Place and the Boardwalk.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 18:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/1 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

CubaLibre wrote:

Can't say I have.

It must have Irish music, a sessiun once a week, lot of wood and some cozy areas with those benches with plaid cushions.

Sounds like a tourist pub in Temple Bar, West Clare or Shop St. in Galway. Nothing wrong with that, but I suppose it depends on what you mean by authentic.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the AC pub is the Ri' Ra. It is actually a chain, but the bars are fairly authentic and the food is good.

One of these in the Powerhouse would get things going around here.

http://www.rira.com/index.php?id=13

Posted on: 2009/4/16 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

CubaLibre wrote:
I guess what I don't understand is what you're defining an "Irish pub" to be.

Seeing as we have multiple establishments downtown actually owned and run by genuine, honest-to-god Irish people, I'm curious as to what this mythical ideal establishment would look/feel/sound like.

The ones Ive seen downtown don't really have an Irish feel to them, just Irish names. So perhaps something like they have down in Atlantic City?

That would be the most amazing.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

CubaLibre wrote:

Can't say I have.

I have. To me, an Irish pub is more than just an Irish name, a poster of Yeats and Guiness on tap. It must have Irish music, a sessiun once a week, lot of wood and some cozy areas with those benches with plaid cushions. As a person of Irish decent, I don't consider PJ Ryans and O'Connells too authentic, despite their names. Nothing against them. A better example is Paddy Reilly's in Manhattan.

Back to the subject at hand, I agree Newark and Grove could be better walking destinations if it got some better stores and cleaned itself up a bit. Aren't they supposed to start a Newark Cleanup soon? That could help improve things.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CubaLibre wrote:

Can't say I have.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 0:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/5 19:45
Group:
Banned
Okay, we're getting somewhere. When you say "Irish feel" what do you mean?

Posted on: 2009/4/15 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CubaLibre wrote:

Seeing as we have multiple establishments downtown actually owned and run by genuine, honest-to-god Irish people, I'm curious as to what this mythical ideal establishment would look/feel/sound like.

LOL...OK, if you're going to get nitpicky, then scratch the "Irish" part. that Comfort Bistro spot would be a great location for any sort of pub. Like a good neighborhood spot. Barrow Street Bar is great, but we need MORE places like that. That is what makes a city a city.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CubaLibre wrote:

The ones Ive seen downtown don't really have an Irish feel to them, just Irish names. So perhaps something like they have down in Atlantic City?

Posted on: 2009/4/15 16:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/4/15 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CubaLibre wrote:
No amount of Guinness posters or toothless old white guys in wool would make a basement storefront in Jersey City an "authentic" Irish pub, especially seeing as we're not in Ireland.

Even Ireland is seeing a dramatic decline in "authentic" Irish Pubs.

What we don't need is any more plastic shamrock establishments. If you want a cheap dive, there are plenty of those around to choose from, no need to dress them up in green.

Woah, I guess I should re phrase my statement then. I would like to see an Irish pub as authentic as possible in the area. There, is that better? I just htink this is a much better idea than half the ideas being thrown around, and most defenitlyan improvment over what acctually is opening downtown, and what is planning on opening up.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 15:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
No amount of Guinness posters or toothless old white guys in wool would make a basement storefront in Jersey City an "authentic" Irish pub, especially seeing as we're not in Ireland.

Even Ireland is seeing a dramatic decline in "authentic" Irish Pubs.

What we don't need is any more plastic shamrock establishments. If you want a cheap dive, there are plenty of those around to choose from, no need to dress them up in green.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

So if anybody wants to partner with me, to open up a little subterranean Irish Pub at that Comfort Bistro storefront on Grove...drop me a PM!!

Finally something I can agree with from Tommyc. Only thing is it must be an authentic Irish Pub not a "posh" or "luxury" Pub for the affluent.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly, PBW. In addition to that, I'll say that the storefronts on Grove and Newark are just grimey looking, and lack any kind of nice signage. The sidewalks are falling apart. I know that it's a process, and will take time. But I still think that places are asking for too much $ for rent. That Comfort Bistro storefront on Grove would be an AWESOME spot for a little Irish pub. I've casually thought about starting something there. But why is it empty? It's been empty for YEARS. This is supposed to be prime real estate?? How about Al-Habib Money Transfer? Who the hell even uses that place? And it's right on Grove Street. How about that trashy "electronics store" on Grove near A1 Deli. Who even goes in there? This is what we have at our fingertips. Meanwhile places like Marco and Pepe have a great business...the place is constantly packed. That's encouraging. But those empty storefronts...in Hoboken, an empty storefront wouldn't last 2 weeks, even in this RECESSION. Again, I do not desire JC to be like Hoboken, but there are some aspects of Hoboken that are admirable, walkable retail/restaurants/bars is one of them.

So if anybody wants to partner with me, to open up a little subterranean Irish Pub at that Comfort Bistro storefront on Grove...drop me a PM!!

Posted on: 2009/4/15 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm curious to how much decline in business Ox and Skinners are having in this economy. They were two very welcome additions and seem to have decent crowds most nights.

The thing about JC compared to Hoboken and and say Smith Street in Brooklyn, is that they have a higher concentration of restaurants. I think people are more apt to go for a walk not knowing where they'll end up in those places, where here you know before you leave what your 5/6 choices are. And then places like Embankment or White Star pretty much have to be your destination.

One thing that surprised me is the $$$ some of these people want. A buddy of mine, a restauranteur, was half-heartedly looking into the area. That empty restaurant space next to Basic - that's been empty for years - they wanted ten grand a month. (this a about a year and half ago). Really should be going for a lot less. Ever see places in Manhattan that seem to be busy every night, have good food, yet every two years there's a new place? Most likely rent is too high for the business to keep up. Meanwhile the landlord next to basic is holding out his/her ten G's a month, for a business that will go under within 2 years, rather than, this may be extreme, 5 grand for a business that would sustain. So 4 years (I'm estimating) it's been empty he coulda made 240,000.

And then there's that empty space, I think its second between that short stretch between Newark and Coles, that looks like a restaurant/pub was on the first floor. that has been on the market for 5 years. The sign has been down a while, but that was right when the market fell, so I'm not sure if someone got it or they're waiting for an upswing, but nothing's happening there. I heard they wanted 8 million for the building. It is for the units above it as well, but still. So there are 2 good locations that have gone empty.

If I had the cash, I think good food would do well here in JC, cause our options, and we do have some good ones, are limited.

Do I want Newark/Grove to turn into Smith Street or Hoboken.
Short answer no. But I would like to see a few more restaurants, a few more shops, and a little more foot traffic.
And I'm not talking the foot traffic of people going to/from the path. People out for a stroll who would by chance stop into Made with Love or that other new bakery. Who by chance would stop into the vintage store on Grove.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 15:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 14:28
Group:
Banned
Yes Alanwright - please take me to an "overpriced, pretentious, restaurant" - you figured me out....

Posted on: 2009/4/10 19:41

Re: Why don\'t JC restaurants/bars do that well?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/25 16:27
Group:
Registered Users
You guys are silly.

Hoboken went from blue collar working class to white collar working class. JC went from blue collar working class to welfare class. Things are getting nicer, there is light at the end of the Holland if you will, but most of you would leave if the majority of the city started going to your bars.

First of all, the bars have no support & the local bussiness climate is bare bones. Trying to buy a pack of cigs after DR closes & its like 19th century bazzare - there is no fixed price for anything, and the guy in line in front of you is almost always purchasing some form of drug paraphenalia.

I grew up in central NY. Even towns of 35,000 have late night delevery options and a few 24hr diners - JC has to play catch up with the middle of nowhere before it will ever compete with its world-class bartown neighbors. There is simply too much crime and not enough police support to be an open bussiness enviroment.

You can\'t even get a bookstore in JC, and you guys are fantasizing about a nightlife? who would be the patrons? The young east asian family-yuppies of the newport condo\'s are not exactly your Cheers or your Fiddlesticks demographic. IF Journal sq started to go bar-hoping, you\'d be scarred away. If Wall St West started to push out from exchange, most of the rest of downtown JC wouldn\'t be able to afford it.

The Demographics that DO move to JC are either immigrants wrapped up in their families (i.e. positive, relatively sober community pillars), people who move here because they\'re short on money, and people who are sick of the nightlife & want something more laid back.

You guys have barely touched on the bars that DO pull good bussiness - Lucky\'s, the Lamp-post, LITM: these are local/regional bars, not transplant bars.

The question isn\'t why doesnt JC have nightlife. the question is, why do a bunch of fourm-posting yuppie wannabes who can\'t afford a nyc lifestlye expect JC to be something other than the frontier industrial town it has always been.

There are plenty of college & yuppie mecca\'s around. JC is not and should not become one of them. We fill a niche these places do not. And don\'t get me wrong, I like to drink. Is 1 or 2 PATH stops really that much farther than Grove st? Some of us actually like a relaxed, aloof place to sleep 15 minutes from the city - wouldn\'t it be easier for you to just move to hoboken instead of transform the whole city?

Posted on: 2009/4/10 14:53

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017