Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
79 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: "We'll help you leave" High Tax Hoboken for Jersey City -- Honest, but Rude, Truth on Billboard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, please.

I feel safer living around yuppies than project folks. That's what I'm saying. You can throw all the PC-ness you want at me, but I know that you agree with me deep down.

The fact remains...people living in projects cause much of the crime around JC. You simply cannot argue that. But...you can certainly beat around the bush!!

Quote:

Indomitus wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think I would find educated yuppies more interesting and stimulating to talk to and interact with than the folks from the nearby projects. Again, this could just be me.

And AGAIN...yuppies don't mug people. Truth be told, I'd rather walk past a yuppie at 3 am than someone from the projects. Can anyone argue with that?

Do you guys have ANY idea how much safer the Downtown areas would be without those nearby projects?

Bernie Madoff mugged lots & lots of people....and did pretty well for himself with his criminal proceeds. Well, I guess he is not YOUNG to be a Yuppie...so he doesn't really count.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 22:02

Re: "We'll help you leave" High Tax Hoboken for Jersey City -- Honest, but Rude, Truth on Billboard
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:

Bernie Madoff mugged lots & lots of people....and did pretty well for himself with his criminal proceeds. Well, I guess he is not YOUNG to be a Yuppie...so he doesn't really count.

Excellent point. It reminds me of the old saying: "fools and their money will soon be separated". And the corollary for muggings is that you're foolish for being in a place/situation where you can be mugged.

Then we are all foolish for living in JC, because that mugging, can and does, happen everywhere in this fair city.

I guess I should've listened to those enlightened chaps from NYC who cautioned me against moving here .... you know .... given the crime that goes on Downtown.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:

Excellent point. It reminds me of the old saying: "fools and their money will soon be separated". And the corollary for muggings is that you're foolish for being in a place/situation where you can be mugged.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 21:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think I would find educated yuppies more interesting and stimulating to talk to and interact with than the folks from the nearby projects. Again, this could just be me.

And AGAIN...yuppies don't mug people. Truth be told, I'd rather walk past a yuppie at 3 am than someone from the projects. Can anyone argue with that?

Do you guys have ANY idea how much safer the Downtown areas would be without those nearby projects?

Posted on: 2009/3/26 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Mr Wolf-iI couldn't agree with you more. How come it seems the ones crying rascism and sexism are the most malicious? Victoria is threatening to have her lesbian friends beat me up...Some peeps gotsta get a life !

Posted on: 2009/3/26 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
And what is your point exactly JennyMama? I'd love to see you step away from your computer for a day, take a ride to Montgomery Gardens and "integrate" yourself into the "diversity" for a day. Submerge and swim it it, make friends! I'm sure you'll be very well equipped to deal with those folks with your Franklin Lakes (or whatever Bergen County town it is you came from) upbringing. It doesn't matter how much variety of people we surround ourselves with. When there's is a disparity between economic classes in one place, it doesn't make those who are well off "worldly" - it makes us "bait".

You'd be surprised how people respond when you approach them with fairness and respect. More often than not, what you'll find is that most people are decent in general ..... with a very small minority having another agenda. Now, does the class element have an impact, sure it does, but you might not want to be so smug as to paint a whole class with such an unfair brush.

It's this sort of smugness that contributes to the problem (i.e. Bad economic policy, education, etc.).

Right on.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Victoria, I guess I was right? Also please dont put words in my mouth. I never mentioned anything about lesbians either. When did I say anything about MLK or primitive? I think your confusing me with another poster or your just trying to spin me into somethin im not. Your hate disgusts me. Get a fkn life...oh... and shave your pits you skank.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
And what is your point exactly JennyMama? I'd love to see you step away from your computer for a day, take a ride to Montgomery Gardens and "integrate" yourself into the "diversity" for a day. Submerge and swim it it, make friends! I'm sure you'll be very well equipped to deal with those folks with your Franklin Lakes (or whatever Bergen County town it is you came from) upbringing. It doesn't matter how much variety of people we surround ourselves with. When there's is a disparity between economic classes in one place, it doesn't make those who are well off "worldly" - it makes us "bait".

A#1: It's Mayla, not Mama.
B#2: It's Wyckoff, not Franklin Lakes.
C#3: It's too bad you color your life with fear and prejudice.

Seriously. You do not know me. What you know about me are the (often) extreme things I choose to tell you (yuppieness, dog, shoe fetish, Bergen county, etc.). These are told to you for dramatic effect and more often than not for fun or to make a point.

You don't know who my friends are, where I hang out, what I'm really like offline, face to face. You don't know how I feel when I walk down the street or when I'm out and about in Jersey City. You have NO. IDEA.

If you'd like to meet me, or any of my friends, PM me and maybe we can work something out. I think you would be surprised.

Oh, and for the record? My point was live and let live and not be so quick to judge. But that's besides the point now.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 19:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:

You'd be surprised how people respond when you approach them with fairness and respect. More often than not, what you'll find is that most people are decent in general ..... with a very small minority having another agenda. Now, does the class element have an impact, sure it does, but you might not want to be so smug as to paint a whole class with such an unfair brush.

It's this sort of smugness that contributes to the problem (i.e. Bad economic policy, education, etc.).

Posted on: 2009/3/26 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Don't forget, Hoboken has its own projects back by the Light Rail, the Winking Jesus & the elevator to the Heights -- and again, the murder rate for Hoboken has been about the same as Downtown Jersey City for the last few years.
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2009/3/26 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/26 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
That you do not see the irony.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
"Very well put Victoria, I've noticed this too. God forbid anyone talks about a yuppie, frat boy or hipster with a negative overtone, but its ok to talk bad about people in lesser income areas. Most of the time they're automatically labled "criminals"."

This is hilarious.

Whats so hilarious Chester?

Posted on: 2009/3/26 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
"Very well put Victoria, I've noticed this too. God forbid anyone talks about a yuppie, frat boy or hipster with a negative overtone, but its ok to talk bad about people in lesser income areas. Most of the time they're automatically labled "criminals"."

This is hilarious.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
"I figured I'd throw the "artsy types" in for good measure. No one will ever find putdowns on them nor the frat boys a touchy topic. But look how quick you are to defend the ghetto folk. What's up with that?"

Imitation is the best form of flattery Victoria. Luv ya!

Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

victoria wrote:
[quote]
NewHeights wrote: It seems it's not okay to say "frat boy" but it is okay to use words like "primitive" to refer to people that live on MLK and Montgomery. What's up with that?

Very well put Victoria, I've noticed this too. God forbid anyone talks about a yuppie, frat boy or hipster with a negative overtone, but its ok to talk bad about people in lesser income areas. Most of the time they're automatically labled "criminals".

Posted on: 2009/3/26 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

victoria wrote:
[quote]
NewHeights wrote: It seems it's not okay to say "frat boy" but it is okay to use words like "primitive" to refer to people that live on MLK and Montgomery. What's up with that?

Very well put Victoria, I've noticed this too. God forbid anyone talks about a yuppie, frat boy or hipster with a negative overtone, but its ok to talk bad about people in lesser income areas. Most of the time they're automatically labled "criminals".

Posted on: 2009/3/26 18:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 0:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
Let me start out by saying that I am the farthest thing from a yuppie. I will admit it can be a little much in hoboken......

I think the hate being portrayed on this board is more about the haves vs the have nots. worry about yourselves. Stop whining. I have liberal and conservative friends living in Hoboken. Some are musicians, artists and others are in corporate.its not all one type.

Do me a favor grab a beer on a sunny friday outside texas arizona and tell me how the women look that get off the path train. maybe thats just it ! Cant score the hot chicks? or maybe your one of those angry chicks that doesnt shave her arm pits?

Okay, my sincere apology to the person who started this thread because I'm going totally off-topic but this is my last post, promise. NewHeights, I think your parents should have smacked you just a little bit more when you were a whining, screaming, ugly baby annoying patrons at restaurants. I would have been the well-behaved girl next to you laughing at your obvious shortcomings. But really, is this what you do with your spare time, lecherously check-out women who get off the Hoboken PATH from a PIZZA place? Oh man. It's too easy. Your comeback was lame and worse your grammar sucks!! Besides that, you just convinced me that on top of all your shortcomings (boring, ignorant, lecherous) you are also sexist. When I see some fat ugly guy sitting at Texas Arizona, lecherously checking out the babes that get off the PATH, I'll be sure to call the cops-lamo. (BTW: I know some beautiful lesbians and hairy ones too that would happily kick your ass, just let me know and I'll arrange it).
Now, this thread was about taxes in Hoboken. You should all get back to it and sorry for going off thread. As for platitudes about getting along, I'm all for it, but you know what I've noticed lately, racism is like okay on the JC List. It seems it's not okay to say "frat boy" but it is okay to use words like "primitive" to refer to people that live on MLK and Montgomery. What's up with that? Heights, I think most people know you are ignorant and the selection of your primary source couldn't be more indicative of this. Please stop making stupid comments about things you haven't the slightest clue about. I mean really, I chuckled the other day: "Spaniards are Caucasians". You are a moron. Try and check out a history book every once in a while instead of Metro and check out what happened in Spain, um, let's see from 800-1492. You are a moron and so is anyone else that condones such blatant racism on this site. Peace

Posted on: 2009/3/26 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sinik wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:
sinik wrote:
That's because Hoboken residents don't visit JC or know where it is or how to get here.

That's a stupid remark. I know plenty of people who live in Hoboken and work in JC, and we've hung out after hours downtown.

You weren't supposed to take it literally. I was talking in the general case. Our mileage varies, I know many people from Hoboken that have never been to JC. It is even more of a bedroom commuity than JC. I guess you have to meet people from from Hoboken outside JC (duh!) to realize the extent of the "problem"

Quote:
And even if your premise were true, ask ourselves WHY would they visit JC? For the shopping? Why on earth would they come to Newark Ave (for the 99-cent stores?) when they have Washington Street as well as a much nicer, cleaner Shop Rite?

I really don't care. I was answering the question why people from Hoboken don't go around dissing JC. The answer is that
(for most of them ) JC is just not part of their consciousness. If I were to address the question "why would they want to come here?", for one thing, I think we have some better top end restaurants than they do. Of course they are unlikely to discover this for themselves and I am quite happy that it should continue that way. Incidentally, Garden of Eden was great when it opened, but I've noticed that the produce has become a bit scruffy more recently.[/quote]

Besides the high end restaurants we have the most exciting attraction of all! Starlight Inn on 1-9. Forget the hotties from Hoboken. Anyone ever see the ladies coming out of that hotel? Classy.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/26 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:
sinik wrote:
That's because Hoboken residents don't visit JC or know where it is or how to get here.

That's a stupid remark. I know plenty of people who live in Hoboken and work in JC, and we've hung out after hours downtown.
[/quote]

You weren't supposed to take it literally. I was talking in the general case. Our mileage varies, I know many people from Hoboken that have never been to JC. It is even more of a bedroom commuity than JC. I guess you have to meet people from from Hoboken outside JC (duh!) to realize the extent of the "problem"

Quote:
And even if your premise were true, ask ourselves WHY would they visit JC? For the shopping? Why on earth would they come to Newark Ave (for the 99-cent stores?) when they have Washington Street as well as a much nicer, cleaner Shop Rite?

I really don't care. I was answering the question why people from Hoboken don't go around dissing JC. The answer is that
(for most of them ) JC is just not part of their consciousness. If I were to address the question "why would they want to come here?", for one thing, I think we have some better top end restaurants than they do. Of course they are unlikely to discover this for themselves and I am quite happy that it should continue that way. Incidentally, Garden of Eden was great when it opened, but I've noticed that the produce has become a bit scruffy more recently.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Besides, how f*cking boring would it be to live surrounded by people just like yourself? Jeez.

End Sermon.

Basically what Hoboken is right? JC needs to stay a diverse city , not strive to become the next "it" spot. Keep that trendy fancy crap away.

Thanks for proving my point.

Bummer.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:

Do me a favor grab a beer on a sunny friday outside texas arizona and tell me how the women look that get off the path train. maybe thats just it ! Cant score the hot chicks? or maybe your one of those angry chicks that doesnt shave her arm pits?

The women are knock outs, better looking than most NYC girls. Why is that?

Posted on: 2009/3/26 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Besides, how f*cking boring would it be to live surrounded by people just like yourself? Jeez.

End Sermon.

Basically what Hoboken is right? JC needs to stay a diverse city , not strive to become the next "it" spot. Keep that trendy fancy crap away.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Beth Mason criticizes mayor over Hoboken billboard controversy

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ss ... llboard_stirs_up_fam.html
Carly Baldwin/Hoboken Now
Wednesday March 25, 2009, 12:26 PM

Yesterday, Hoboken Mayor Dave Roberts had a billboard taken down that encourages Hobokenites to moves to Jersey City, after being hit with a 47% property tax increase.

And today, mayoral candidate Beth Mason used the billboard brouhaha to criticize Roberts, calling his response to the advertising campaign a "temper tantrum." Ouch!

"I do not want the hard working people of Hoboken to leave our city," said Mason in a prepared statement. "But Mayor Roberts' temper tantrum over this billboard is a complete and total lack of personal responsibility. The state monitor reported that the tax increase was brought on by under-funded budgets and uncollected revenues. Mayor Roberts' reckless mismanagement is the very cause of the billboard."

"Whether or not the billboard comes down will not change the reality Roberts' has created for Hoboken, so he should stop running from it. It is Roberts' lack of leadership that is forcing residents to leave our city, not a billboard," said Mason. (Except uh, the billboard was already taken down last night.)

===================
Billboard stirs up familiar Hoboken budget debate

Wednesday March 25, 2009
Carly Baldwin/Hoboken Now

That billboard means it's Roberts vs. Mason/Castellano, round 200.

Beth Mason's not the only one criticizing Mayor Dave Roberts for the billboard controversy. The provocative sign stirs up a familiar debate between the mayor and his Council foes over whether Hoboken should have passed its 2008 budget -- and avoided the 47% tax increase.

Hoboken Councilman Theresa Castellano called Metropolitan & Waterfront Brokerage today, the real estate firm that put up the sign, to tell them she supported the billboard and was upset they removed it.

"I think it should have gone further and said, 'Thank you, Dave Roberts and the Roberts team!,'" said Castellano.

While Roberts maintains the 47% property tax increase was brought about to fill a $24 million revenue gap in uncollected taxes, because taxes weren't sent out because the 2008 budget wasn't passed, Castellano said the Council couldn't pass the 2008 budget.

"We couldn't trust the numbers they were giving us," said Castellano today. "They gave us an $86 million budget and it was really $102 million. We went to the DCA and Richard Turner was screaming at us to pass the budget, but I'm not going to vote for a budget that is knowingly underfunded -- that's illegal."

Of the billboard, Terry said: "Of course, it's bad PR for Hoboken but the truth is the truth -- Roberts overspent the budget for seven years and that's how we got here," said Castellano.

"They're upset that a derogatory, demeaning advertisement mocking their city was removed?! Haven't they done enough damage to the taxpayers of Hoboken?" countered Roberts today. "The municipal council not only caused Hoboken embarrassment, they violated the law by not adopting the budget and they put the city in this horrible position. 90% of the tax increase is because they did not adopt the budget."

So who is correct -- Roberts or Mason and Castellano? All of them are.

There was a mix of reasons why State Monitor Judy Tripodi raised Hoboken's taxes 47%:

? Prior budgets were underfunded and the city had to raise enough tax money to pay for the cost of services. The city of Hoboken had not had a significant property tax increase for the past 16 years, estimates Tripodi, and was carrying a structural deficit of about $15 million. Costs went up, but the city lacked the funds to pay for them.

'This is the result of not raising taxes over a long period of time and not having tax revenue keep up with cost," said Tripodi. "This has not been born overnight."

? At the same time Hoboken also had to fund that pesky $24 million in uncollected taxes.

"Not passing the budget and not sending out taxes exasperated things," said Tripodi.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Y'know, you never hear Hoboken residents dissing JC the way JC people put down Hoboken on this thread and numerous others. If they are, I haven't found it online, nor have I heard any derisive remarks from Hoboken residents. Sure, they may say something about crime and personal safety in JC, but their comments lack the vitriol I see here. To me, the anti-Hoboken comments that frequently pop up here simply highlight the longstanding inferiority complex that JC has always held towards Hoboken. Hell, when I was first looking for a place to live around here, I kept hearing realtors and some city officials sell this place as "The Next Hoboken" (they kept alternating between that and "The Sixth Borough") .Why anyone would want to be "the next Hoboken" is beyond me, because JC has its own vibe going for it - enjoy it and stop fretting about Hoboken! Grow up, and get over it.

hobokenites are too busy dissing themselves and their fellow hoboken residents to care about jc. for proof look at hoboken411.com, and look at the comments posted after almost every blog. it makes jclist look tame by comparison.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
sinik wrote:

That's a stupid remark. I know plenty of people who live in Hoboken and work in JC, and we've hung out after hours downtown. And even if your premise were true, ask ourselves WHY would they visit JC? For the shopping? Why on earth would they come to Newark Ave (for the 99-cent stores?) when they have Washington Street as well as a much nicer, cleaner Shop Rite? They have a Garden of Eden while we keep yearning for some sort of divine sign from Whole Foods. Yeah, we have Newport Mall, but if JC List is any barometer, we hate it so much we don't even shop there ourselves. If anything, it just shows how difficult the business/retail environment remains here in spite of gentrification.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Y'know, you never hear Hoboken residents dissing JC the way JC people put down Hoboken on this thread and numerous others.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Y'know, you never hear Hoboken residents dissing JC the way JC people put down Hoboken on this thread and numerous others. If they are, I haven't found it online, nor have I heard any derisive remarks from Hoboken residents. Sure, they may say something about crime and personal safety in JC, but their comments lack the vitriol I see here. To me, the anti-Hoboken comments that frequently pop up here simply highlight the longstanding inferiority complex that JC has always held towards Hoboken. Hell, when I was first looking for a place to live around here, I kept hearing realtors and some city officials sell this place as "The Next Hoboken" (they kept alternating between that and "The Sixth Borough") .Why anyone would want to be "the next Hoboken" is beyond me, because JC has its own vibe going for it - enjoy it and stop fretting about Hoboken! Grow up, and get over it.

You're so right Hoboken is what Hoboken has presented itself as. But Jersey City, the section neighboring Hoboken is similar but in a more subtle and residential way. Hoboken is tight and congested, too much commerce. I don't think Jersey City residents want to resemble the Hoboken atmosphere we have our own personility that I would not change for all the _____ in the world.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/26 12:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Why is everyone so quick to attack someone who is different than they are? It comes up over and over again on this board and it's amazing and disheartening at the same time.

Threatened? Jealous? Self-loathing? Ignorant? Just plain cranky?

Live and let live. Besides, how f*cking boring would it be to live surrounded by people just like yourself? Jeez.

End Sermon.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 1:12

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017