Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
79 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: JC Gets Money $4.6 Mil to Repave Newark Ave Between Coles & Tonnelle! (Also Sip; Kennedy to Bergen)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Work is slated to start up again in the next few weeks when the weather is expected to clear up.

Oh God I hope not. I was actually hoping the lack of activity was a sign the project "went away."

Sorry, I'm probably one of only a couple hundred people on earth who are not looking forward to this project because of the loss of residential street parking. Columbus will become yet one more street in Zone 1 that will be off-limits.

Edit: Well, off-limits during rush hours, which makes it effectively off-limits for residents who commute using transit (since your vehicle has to be stored during rush hour), and for most residents who drive to work, since you have to move the car before morning rush period, and can't park it until after evening rush period. So as long as you drive to work and you work more than 12 hours, parking on Columbus will be ok for you.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when everyone who parks on Columbus between Brunswick and Barrow has to find somewhere else to park. Can't park on Newark Ave (metered), can't park on two blocks of Monmouth, can't park on a few stretches of First (new curb cuts/driveways for condos).

Posted on: 2010/2/24 5:14

Re: JC Gets Money $4.6 Mil to Repave Newark Ave Between Coles & Tonnelle! (Also Sip; Kennedy to Bergen)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Christopher Columbus Drive Like many other projects, this has been greatly delayed due to poor weather conditions.

Yeah, that tricky winter weather.... been 'surprising' contractors every year....

Seriously, they at least need to do some emergency repairs at the CCD/Monmouth intersection before someone rips out their suspension.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
From Steve Fulop's email today:

Christopher Columbus Drive
Like many other projects, this has been greatly delayed due to poor weather conditions. The City's Engineering division has assured us that they completely understand the rapidly deteriorating conditions of this already dismal road.

Work is slated to start up again in the next few weeks when the weather is expected to clear up. Initial work will continue on installing wheelchair ramps, curbing, sidewalk, and utilities. Milling and paving will take place between late spring and early summer as originally scheduled.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Columbus is in an amazing condition right now-- I actually thought they had milled it in preparation for paving until I realized the potholes had simply gotten worse.

Also its pretty stunning that the DPW hasn't repainted the crosswalks on the other streets downtown-- because they don't have the money to do it.

I had asked this of Councilman Fulop who directed me to Chuck Lee, Ass. City Engineer:

ME: What sort of traffic calming do you have planned for the primarily residential streets of Jersey and Erie, and what sort of volume increase do you expect on these streets?

CHUCK LEE :As per our 8/3/09 email, we are proposing improvements to include upgrading the traffic signal timing, upgrade the traffic signal lights, installation of new traffic signs, street lights, imprinted polymer resin crosswalks, new handicapped ramps with dome detectors, and thermal plastic traffic striping, all for the purpose of enhancing the safety of pedestrian traffic.

That was at the beginning of September. In October, I asked why they hadn't repainted the crosswalks downtown, and this is what I got back:

DPW has not been able to keep up with the maintenance of re-striping the existing worn out traffic lines throughout the City. Division of Engineering is aware of the huge magnitude of this problem and we cannot continue to tap into existing resurfacing projects to solve this problem piecemeal.

So not only is there going to more traffic on the local residential streets, the promised improvements to pedestrian safety aren't even funded. Meanwhile according to this post, "The polymer resin crosswalks (the fake red brick effect you see on Erie) are ultra expensive."

So we have some brilliant logicians working in the planning offices of Jersey City, on one hand claiming improvements to crosswalks will make up for the extra traffic volume, but on the other hand not funding the actual improvements. Great.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 17:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/26 13:29
Group:
Registered Users
According to Fulop's most recent email, the paving won't even begin until next Spring. I have to say, I find it hilarious that they've been planning this project for four years, and the road has yet to be touched. Can't wait to see what it looks like after another winter!

Posted on: 2009/10/30 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Im sorry to say it but the more I see of what the street planners do in this city, it seems that cars come first and pedestrians come second here. Walk the sidewalks in Manhattan and Brooklyn and you can feel the difference. The sidewalks are maintained better and are wider. There are more trees on them and street side parking allows more people to pull over to support local retail as well as minimizing the 3-lane super-speedways that JC seems to be loving recently. Oh well.

Posted on: 2009/9/2 19:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/28 15:31
Group:
Registered Users
I predict in less than 2 years, the city will pay to have it completely done over again and add the curb extensions. Nothing like wasting money to do things over and over again.

Posted on: 2009/9/2 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
In another example of "JC Does Everything Wrong", it looks like NYC is ADDING the same kind of traffic calming sidewalk projections that our own JC is REMOVING from CCD and refuses to add to streets like Erie, etc.:

Brownstoner link...

Posted on: 2009/9/2 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tripl3fast wrote:
does anyone know what the parking restrictions will be once this project is completed?

i.e. no parking on the eastbound side from 7am-10am and no parking on the westbound side from 4pm-7pm?

I actually don't know that, but it will be something similar to that.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 14:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/1 12:37
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone know what the parking restrictions will be once this project is completed?

i.e. no parking on the eastbound side from 7am-10am and no parking on the westbound side from 4pm-7pm?

Posted on: 2009/8/11 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
'Sacanagem' is correct. This project was initiated way back when GS was pondering their new building to make it easier for their people to race in and out of JC.

Nevermind that it was and is an awful idea and that the GS building is still half empty.....

So you can add another folder to the "Screw the residents" file.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
So it's an even-more outdated plan with outdated priorities.

Anyway, there's no confusion that it's not for us.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
For the visually oriented, I have some photos illustrating the proposed changes:
The Columbus Highway in Pictures

Posted on: 2009/8/11 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sacanagem wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
According to the City's planning department, the plan goes back to 2002 and the city considered "input" from the community.

Correct. Planning took place prior to GS selecting their location. Dubbed the waterfront access plan its really the last piece of the puzzle to get their employees to work. Didnt anyone notice? First Greene...Then Montgomery to washington, now CCD to the T-P-K-E. Thats why everyone is confused about the lack of bike lanes and such...its not FOR us.

Wow. Makes sense now.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 19:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/9 11:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
According to the City's planning department, the plan goes back to 2002 and the city considered "input" from the community.

Correct. Planning took place prior to GS selecting their location. Dubbed the waterfront access plan its really the last piece of the puzzle to get their employees to work. Didnt anyone notice? First Greene...Then Montgomery to washington, now CCD to the T-P-K-E. Thats why everyone is confused about the lack of bike lanes and such...its not FOR us.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Also, even though at the intersection of Monmouth and Varick, the new alignment will require removing existing curb extensions and widening the roadway by at least 20 feet, according to the city's planning office, this is absolutely, positively not a road widening project. According to the city's planning office, it is merely a "streetscape enhancement project."

Posted on: 2009/8/11 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Steamrolled that one.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
According to the City's planning department, the plan goes back to 2002 and the city considered "input" from the community. However, according to an official at the planning department, the city considered only one alignment, which is the expansion of the roadway. The city also did not bother collecting data on traffic volume, which would make it impossible to assess the need of expanding the roadway. Also according to the city department of planning, they don't have statistics on point of origin, so there is no way to know if its an intercity or intracity traffic circulation problem.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 18:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/9 11:41
Group:
Registered Users
Ummm yeah..its been awarded to a contractor and will be starting in a month. Id say its a little late to do anything at all.
Your time would be better spent shopping for a reasonably stylish safety vest to traverse the columbo-bahn when its finished.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When did Fulop make these statements?

Posted on: 2009/8/11 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see how adding more lanes to Columbus Drive is a good idea.

Fulop said measures such as making crosswalks more visible will increase ped safety. I agree, but the increased car capacity/speeds will negate any benefit from crosswalk striping.

Fulop said the traffic signals will be timed to maintain 25 mph rate of speed. No, traffic signals will be timed that way, but if I know JC drivers, traffic will slam on the gas and get 'er up to 45 and then slam the brakes at the next intersection, then gun it again.

It'll be fun to walk down the sidewalks along Columbus Highway with speeding traffic passing within inches of your elbows. More fun, still, when ponded & running rainwater is splashed up and across the sidewalk by passing traffic.

It's a BAD BAD BAD plan, unless you drive to Jersey City from the 'burbs every day. I'm not sure why a consultant recommended this, nor why the city embraced it.

Oh well. Too late now. According to Fulop, the time for public comment on this issue has expired.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
There seems to be a pattern of favoring motorists passing through town over residents and people coming here to shop. Why?

Who benefits from this?

I agree.
Ironically, it seems like the only thing currently keeping pedestrians from getting run down are the potholes. Adding more lanes and repaving sounds like we're going to see an increase in hit and runs.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The intended realignment also removes metered parking on Columbus at rush hour and removes metered parking along Grove Street where the cab stand is to be relocated to. Meter parking assures a higher turnover rate for parking spaces, which allows customers of local businesses a place to park while they conduct business. There isn't a whole lot of metered parking downtown as it is, and this play will probably make it more difficult for driving customers of the small businesses to patronize downtown shops.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps I don't drive the route during the rights times, but I have never seen so much traffic using Columbus as a point of access to the Turnpike that it seems necessary to create a highway through town. It seems far more likely to me that providing a parallel route between the Turnpike Extension and the tunnel will just siphon commuter traffic off of 139 and onto our local streets.

Removing parking and creating speeding traffic through the middle of the Downtown Improvement District is unlikely to encourage pedestrian traffic in the SID.

I think this makes no sense.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 16:55
I live by the river.

Re: JC Gets Money $4.6 Mil to Repave Newark Ave Between Coles & Tonnelle! (Also Sip; Kennedy to Berg
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseyguyjerseyguy wrote:
I was walking down Newark Ave to Grove St yesterday, and the sidewalk repairs are quite dangerous. No signs pointing you to the other site, or barricades like in NYC that protect pedestrians. What can be done about this?

Sometimes it helps to talk to the workers themselves. I spoke to them about making our tree island bigger and they obliged. They even added mulch around the tree when they were done with the sidewalk.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 15:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/11 21:17
Group:
Registered Users
I was walking down Newark Ave to Grove St yesterday, and the sidewalk repairs are quite dangerous. No signs pointing you to the other site, or barricades like in NYC that protect pedestrians. What can be done about this?

Posted on: 2009/8/5 15:26

Re: JC Gets Money $4.6 Mil to Repave Newark Ave Between Coles & Tonnelle! (Also Sip; Kennedy to Berg
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
In an ideal world, JC would take this opportunity to make Columbus Drive a signature entry into JC, or at least, into Downtown. I think Columbus Drive from the Turnpike to the waterfront would look great with one of those "tree islands" in the middle, the whole stretch. Like a planter barrier between the eastbound and westbound lanes. It would really dress up Columbus, which is really quite a dreary looking road until you get to Marin or so. And how about a big and attractive sign that reads "Welcome to Jersey City".

It looks like they sort of had the right idea when they created the island under the turnpike where they planted the rose bushes. If they just make it consistent through the rest of the road it would look really presentable.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
In an ideal world, JC would take this opportunity to make Columbus Drive a signature entry into JC, or at least, into Downtown. I think Columbus Drive from the Turnpike to the waterfront would look great with one of those "tree islands" in the middle, the whole stretch. Like a planter barrier between the eastbound and westbound lanes. It would really dress up Columbus, which is really quite a dreary looking road until you get to Marin or so. And how about a big and attractive sign that reads "Welcome to Jersey City".

Posted on: 2009/8/5 14:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/21 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
They need to repave Christopher Columbus drive betwwen Grove and Bruswick. God Damn its so #OOPS#ing bumpy!

Posted on: 2009/8/5 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Time to revive the Bergen Arches proposal?

Posted on: 2009/8/4 16:37

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017