Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Pathmark @ Old Colony...Is it just me?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I must say, I just was in Pathmark and it looked pretty nice in there -- got a rotisserie chicken with a huge watermelon -- fast self-checkout -- only $11 total. Overall a very nice experience!

Posted on: 2010/7/7 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:

If its' from Bayonne leave it alone.

You better not let ?The Real Rocky? hear you say that?.

http://wepner.homestead.com/files/chuck.html

(I saw him over at the Commons movie theater a few times, wished I had my camera to get a photo with him)

Posted on: 2010/2/4 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
If its' from Bayonne leave it alone.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Silly?everyone from JC knows for food shopping you hit the Stop & Shop Super Store in the South Cove Commons in Bayonne. (and for you yuppies and hipsters it even has its own Starbucks and PNC branch inside!) (for the lovers a florist)(for me a bakery)

The Commons also has ?

- Franks movie theater
- Subway
- wireless phone stores
- tanning (for you guido?s)
- medical clinic
- Wendy?s
- A J Wright
- Game Stop
- Laundromat
- Staples
- Hallmark
- 10 East (Japanese)
- Houlihan's

There is a light rail stop across the highway from the Commons for the wheel-less crowd. While you are there you can take a walk on the water walkway. The entrance is over past 10 East. It has beautiful views of the private golf course ($$). Also nice to see when a cruise ship is docked.

PS - Bayonne also has a nice new Shop-Rite that opened in midtown.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
God, with the exception of Little Gym, that whole strip mall is full of foul people. I've been in The Chase bank down there twice when some low-life started mouthing off to the bank workers for no reason. Today, the woman behind me on line went nuts because she had to wait on line for about 3 minutes. The manager came over and tried to reason with her in a very respectful, professional manner, but the lady started cursing at her and told her to ,"Get out of my ****ing face". The lady just wouldn't shut up. She just kept going off on the women who work in the bank, yelling and cursing about them and feeling very self-important because she was depositing all of $600.00 - like that's going to break Chase Bank. It was hilarious when she said, " You're over there conversating, when you should be helping me". You people don't know how to keep a professional work ethnic." lol........lol. I would say that I'd go to another branch, but I'd feeling like I was missing something too funny. I'm sticking with Old Colony.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 19:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/1 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
the shop rite and food basics stores in union city both have the cart anti-theft system where the wheels lock if you go beyond a certain point in the parking lot.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Lafayette wrote:
Quote:
Ok I would like to hear from those in Lafayette

I have been busy at work and not keeping up with the thread... I was somewhat surprised (although not entirely) to see that this thread has grown the way that it has.

I understand you, Lafayette. I live in the Bergen-Lafayette area. In the interest of full disclosure, I will go as far as stating that I live at The Foundry. The Pathmark supermarket on Grand is the closest supermarket to where I live. I actually patronize the place, in spite of the many shortcomings of that place. Why do I do this? It is close to me, it is somewhat convenient and I actually like the Pathmark supermarket chain (price, selection, etc.) Still, I am hard pressed to complain about the bollards. Are they inconvenient? YES. Would I rather they be banished? ABSOLUTELY. There is NO question, whatsoever, that they are a pain in the ass, that they are inconvenient, and can make a big shopping trip become a hassle. Still, I can not fault the store. As many have already stated, the alternatives are much worse. You never see Pathmark carts littering our streets. The same can not be said of BJ carts, or even some older Shoprite carts. Driving through the parking lot doesn't involve navigating around carts laying about, or even the occasional cart that is moving on its own as if driven by a ghost (both are common occurences at Shoprite). My wife refuses to go to Pathmark.... so, I understand what you are saying. Still, I have learned that the bollards are there for a reason. If you are absolutely dismayed by their existence, do not shop there. Right or wrong, each company has a right to run their business as they see fit. We, as consumers, can choose to not patronize the establishments that do not fit into our world view.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
Of course I can shop at all those places but my sentiments expressed here are of many not just mine. You seem to have taken it personal KLO that I mentioned people do not like being treated as second class citizens.
You can't stop people from feeling a certain way. This is free expression. Simple things would make people happier but when people don't empathize or not familiar with people's plight its hard to explain further.
I choose to share my experiences here because this is a forum with good info and good opinions. Yes when things like a post office are not accessible in the year 2009 in a city such as this one and when the bus some people take to work is late and people are crushed in like sardines because our administration didn't fight for us you can't blame people for feeling like they are being treated lesser. I surely am not a second class citizen in fact I think I service my community along with my neighbors with great service. I don't have a chip on my shoulder but I will fight for the whatever I see we need....especially when I see it done in other parts of the city.
If you were on the other side of the fence or your grandmother couldn't get to the supermarket easily due to lack of transportation or below standards food markets HOW would you feel?.....
why should we spend our dollars in MILLBURN? or in EDGEWATER....

I don't honestly believe that anyone here would argue for disparity of services based solely on class or poor treatment of people. It's just that shopping carts and bollards are not sword we would choose to fall on.

Continue to fight the good fight but maybe fine-tune your fight plan a bit. I fear that your message, which really is important, is getting lost in the madness. That's just my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I still applaud it and respectfully disagree with Merriam and Webster. Their reasoning seems to be that since everyone else uses it that way, let's accept it. Same thing happened to the great Oxford (or serial) comma.

I dedicate this post to my parents, Ayn Rand and God.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
If you scroll, it says nauseous may only be used in sense 2 if one lives in the downtown Jersey City area.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 21:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/27 16:58
Group:
Banned
Quote:
1 : causing nausea or disgust : nauseating
2 : affected with nausea or disgust

Those who insist that nauseous can properly be used only in sense 1 and that in sense 2 it is an error for nauseated are mistaken.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nauseous

Posted on: 2009/3/20 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, C-C.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I, for one, applaud your use of "nauseated" instead of "nauseous."

Posted on: 2009/3/20 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's not just the shopping carts. Pathmark was ranked nationwide as one of the best grocery stores. You would NEVER know it from a visit to the Old Colony. I can't even stomach shopping in that store. The smell of the food makes me nauseated---many items, particularly in produce and meats, are one step removed from rotten. It is a gross, horrible place. I picked up a bag of grapefruit a couple years back, before I banned myself from that place, and I saw a couple cucarachas scamper away. The shopping carts are the final salt rubbed into the wound of your Pathmark experience as you exit and try to make it to your car without vomiting or getting mugged, balancing 120 pounds and 15 bags.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 20:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I like Pathmark better than the ShopRite so I drive to the other on 440 since I am inconvenienced by the shopping carts, the holes in the parking lot and the dismal cashier situation. The Grand Street Pathmark's shortcomings are indicative of the way that area has been treated for years. Many residents, especially in Ward F, feel frustrated and neglected when it comes to amenities and services. Of course, many of us are productive and law abiding citizens, but as we know, we are not usually what gets all the attention. As for driving to some other town to shop I would not waste my time driving to some other city - unless for my favorite Black Currant jam which sadly no one sells around here anymore. I can manage to find nutritious food for my family locally.

It is unfair for those who cannot shop anywhere else to have to endure those conditions at the Grand Street Pathmark, however. Or do without a post office, or a bus for that matter.

From what I have observed, folks are not too vigilant about returning their carts anywhere - even the Shop Rite

Posted on: 2009/3/20 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
TO the regulator:
I apologize for posting things that have nothing to do with downtown, please remove this thread. I will refrain from posting as the message has clearly been taken.
This forum is strictly for downton jersey city.
No ill feelings......

Posted on: 2009/3/20 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
The longer this thread continues, the less I understand what it's about.
Is the OP running for some political office?
Just drive to ShopRight, for God's sake. And please make sure to return the cart to the front of the store when you're done.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Its ridiculous that you're looking at the cart issue as the chain's way to suppress certain neighborhoods. As K-lo brilliantly stated, pathmark has always marketed themselves to a specific income demographic. All of the ones I've visited including the one on 440in JC, in South Orange and the late one in Somerville have equally provided me with an unpleasant shopping experience. If you don't like it, simply take your dollars elsewhere. In the meantime, the people this chain was intended for will happily continue to shop there without complaints. From your lifestyle description, you are NOT the demographic pathmark targets anyway. When I go into a K-Mart, I don't expect to see the same quality of clothing as I would at Saks. This should apply to supermarkets as well.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
And you seem to ignore my preference about having enough shopping carts immediately available.

Given the number of large markets in Jersey City, each has chosen to compete by offering different servcies. Pathmark has made its choice. A&P chooses to compete in different ways. You too make your choices based upon your needs, as every other consumer does on a daily basis. I simply do not take the emphasis of one form of service over another as personally as you do. You choose to feel like a victim because you cannot take the cart into the lot.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Of course I can shop at all those places but my sentiments expressed here are of many not just mine. You seem to have taken it personal KLO that I mentioned people do not like being treated as second class citizens.
You can't stop people from feeling a certain way. This is free expression. Simple things would make people happier but when people don't empathize or not familiar with people's plight its hard to explain further.
I choose to share my experiences here because this is a forum with good info and good opinions. Yes when things like a post office are not accessible in the year 2009 in a city such as this one and when the bus some people take to work is late and people are crushed in like sardines because our administration didn't fight for us you can't blame people for feeling like they are being treated lesser. I surely am not a second class citizen in fact I think I service my community along with my neighbors with great service. I don't have a chip on my shoulder but I will fight for the whatever I see we need....especially when I see it done in other parts of the city.
If you were on the other side of the fence or your grandmother couldn't get to the supermarket easily due to lack of transportation or below standards food markets HOW would you feel?.....
why should we spend our dollars in MILLBURN? or in EDGEWATER....

Posted on: 2009/3/20 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
But you don't have to settle for less. You have a car, so drive to the store you feel treats you the way you want to be treated. People in Jersey City drive to Edgewater or Milburn to go to Whole Foods. As much as they would like one in JC, I haven't heard them complain that they're treated like second class citizens because Whole Foods, for its own good business reasons, feels that it cannot thrive in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
Quote:

mjcbklyn wrote:
when i said there are bigger fish to fry...

what i meant was, if you can get this irritated/motivated to see change over something as trivial as parking lot shopping cart bollards, to the point where you post here about them and contact the store's headquarters... well maybe focus that energy other places. it seems like a waste of energy. there are a lot of other problems to get involved in changing. and if you are already involved, thats great! but you seem to have enough energy to get mad about bollards, imagine what can be accomplished with that energy and focus in an area that really NEEDS improvement!

What is trivial to some might be important to others. I have sat at meetings where a dog run issue has taken up 2 hours of everyone's time. Like I said I am fed up with disparity here in Jersey City. It's getting worse by the day.
It is truly incovenient and don't worry this is an issue that our community will soon address. We have lost 2 major bus lines in the last year, we have lost a major post office, we have to spend more time than usual at a low end supermarket, all of downtown's affordable housing is being built in our area instead of keeping it over that way, I can go on an on. We have strong community groups but in areas where a lot of people are not financially sound such as Bergen Lafayette, we get the short hand of the stick. This is not crying, but if you haven't lived here for more than 30 years you wouldn't know and if would be just trivial.
These are major quality of life issues that we will continue to push at city hall...believe me I don't just type words here.

You are not kidding. Many things are ignored until your neighborhood starts to take an "upturn" namely when upper incomes start moving into the area. Its a shame for all the honest working people who have lived here forever. Notice our mayor doesn't even seem to know the downtown Pathmarke even exists, although you can see the Beacon from its crater-filled parking lot:

(from the NY Times) As Mr. Healy put it: ?We have a dearth of supermarkets. We have downtown, one in the east end of our city, but nothing in Journal Square,? and nothing near the site of the Beacon.

I guess he forgot about the lovely C-Town also. Or am I imagining that is in Journal Square?

All I can say is we have a lot of work ahead of us. (Mind you aside from our real jobs to put food on the table)

A note: A dog run might be more important you but I was just bringing up something that some in my neck of the woods wouldn't care for if they don't have a post office, a bus to go to work or school and a convenient place to buy food.
by the way I believe the Beacon will get there own market on the premises to keep them away from the wonderfully run Pathmark on Grand.......A lot of people here in Lafayette do very well...we have reasons why we live where we live. I am not on public assistance, I have a pure bred that gets groomed every 2 weeks, luxury vehicle, home, but I CHOOSE to live here in Lafayette. I enjoy organic foods, a good coffee, and nice things. Many of my neighbors are in the same position. They could afford to live elsewhere but refuse to leave their birthplace. So why do we have to settle for less? SOme have branded Bergen Lafayette as the most horrible place on earth, its not perfect but its where people live and pay taxes and should be treated the same as others in other parts of the city. That's all I'm saying.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 16:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
Quote:

mjcbklyn wrote:

what i meant was, if you can get this irritated/motivated to see change over something as trivial as parking lot shopping cart bollards, to the point where you post here about them and contact the store's headquarters... well maybe focus that energy other places. it seems like a waste of energy. there are a lot of other problems to get involved in changing. and if you are already involved, thats great! but you seem to have enough energy to get mad about bollards, imagine what can be accomplished with that energy and focus in an area that really NEEDS improvement!

What is trivial to some might be important to others. I have sat at meetings where a dog run issue has taken up 2 hours of everyone's time. Like I said I am fed up with disparity here in Jersey City. It's getting worse by the day.
It is truly incovenient and don't worry this is an issue that our community will soon address. We have lost 2 major bus lines in the last year, we have lost a major post office, we have to spend more time than usual at a low end supermarket, all of downtown's affordable housing is being built in our area instead of keeping it over that way, I can go on an on. We have strong community groups but in areas where a lot of people are not financially sound such as Bergen Lafayette, we get the short hand of the stick. This is not crying, but if you haven't lived here for more than 30 years you wouldn't know and if would be just trivial.
These are major quality of life issues that we will continue to push at city hall...believe me I don't just type words here.

You are not kidding. Many things are ignored until your neighborhood starts to take an "upturn" namely when upper incomes start moving into the area. Its a shame for all the honest working people who have lived here forever. Notice our mayor doesn't even seem to know the downtown Pathmarke even exists, although you can see the Beacon from its crater-filled parking lot:

(from the NY Times) As Mr. Healy put it: ?We have a dearth of supermarkets. We have downtown, one in the east end of our city, but nothing in Journal Square,? and nothing near the site of the Beacon.

I guess he forgot about the lovely C-Town also. Or am I imagining that is in Journal Square?

Posted on: 2009/3/20 15:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
dog runs are more important than shopping carts, pets are extremely important to those who have them, they are a part of their family.

isn't it also a quality of life issue if abandoned shopping carts are littering neighborhoods? someone earlier mentioned they let the carts free and the carts all went missing shortly after. isn't having no carts available at the store another issue?

until you can change people's sloppy behavior, keeping the carts caged in is probably the best idea for shoppers (keeps carts available at the store) and the neighborhoods (keeps carts off every street corner and out of the parks).

Posted on: 2009/3/20 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mjcbklyn wrote:

Posted on: 2009/3/20 15:15

La Conga
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have that painting! Just a slightly different angle. Painted by Miguel Hernandez. I bought it a few years ago at Catherdral Arts at Grace Church. Mine has no grafitti.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 11:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
If I recall correctly, La Conga has bollards inside the store!

Posted on: 2009/3/20 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
What does it say about the posters here that no one has mentioned La Conga?
Are we all too upscale?

I've never been, but if only I were a realist painter...
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/3/20 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
no one has mentioned La Conga?

I have to admit that in the 20 years I've lived here, I've only gone into La Conga once. It was when the Virgin Mary "appeared" in the condensation of a freezer door. Personally, I really couldn't make out the image, but then again, I never got the hang of those 3-D pictures either.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 2:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/20 2:31

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017