Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Pathmark @ Old Colony...Is it just me?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
ripple said:
Quote:
I think the bollards are an insult to the community -- they're effectively telling the Pathmark customers that they and the neighborhood they live in are so bad that they can't be trusted to do something (take the carts into the lot) that is permitted in (I'm guessing) 99% of supermarkets nationwide. This kind of thing is extremely counterproductive to helping people keep a optimistic outlook about life, and I'm kinda surprised a bigger stink hasn't been made about it.

I get your point, and I may even understand your beef. Still, I am convinced that you are wrong. The bollards are not responsible for depriving people of an optimistic outlook about life, or anything else like that. It is quite the opposite, really. It is because people have proven (over and over again) that they can not be trusted to do the right thing that Pathmark has resorted to putting up those bollards. The basic act of retrieving and returning a shopping cart to its designated place seems to be beyond comprehension for most of the JC population. This is not even open for debate... Do a search for the BJ cart thread; go visit the Target parking lot; go look around the Shoprite parking lot. BJ carts, for the longest time, were as ubiquitous in JC as fire hydrants in Manhattan. If you ever pay attention while shopping at the local Target you will notice plenty of shopping carts stranded towards the far corners of their parking lot. It seems like their sensors are set to you can reach the corners of the parking lot and then the wheels lock. People are then forced to offload their purchases and continue walking with their bags on their hands. At Shoprite, the problem is even worse... over there, you can find entire sections of the parking lot taken over by errant carts that people just leave behind, PLUS they also suffer from the abandoned locked-wheel carts that people try to take out of the parking lot area.

In general, I hate (HATE) what passes for customer service in our city (specially those three wenches at the Shoprite Customer Service Desk) but I can also see how dealing with the JC animals can drive some of these customer service people to behave the way they do... People around here have ZERO regard for their fellow citizen.

Anyway, I have digressed... my point is that those Pathmark bollards, as annoying as they are, have been erected by necessity. As much as I despise the limitations they impose on my shopping runs, I have learned to accept them as a necessary evil.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
You think bollards are bad? If you go to the Stop&Shop supermarket in Highland Park (near New Brunswick) they actually make you insert a quarter to release the cart. Then when you return the cart you get the quarter back. They said it's because a large portion of the customers walk to the store and they don't want them walking home with the carts.

I think A&P (when it was Waldbaums) and Shoprite both used that system years ago. It was a pain in the arse if you didn't have a quarter on you.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
You think bollards are bad? If you go to the Stop&Shop supermarket in Highland Park (near New Brunswick) they actually make you insert a quarter to release the cart. Then when you return the cart you get the quarter back. They said it's because a large portion of the customers walk to the store and they don't want them walking home with the carts.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ripple wrote:
I think the bollards are an insult to the community -- they're effectively telling the Pathmark customers that they and the neighborhood they live in are so bad that they can't be trusted to do something (take the carts into the lot) that is permitted in (I'm guessing) 99% of supermarkets nationwide. This kind of thing is extremely counterproductive to helping people keep a optimistic outlook about life, and I'm kinda surprised a bigger stink hasn't been made about it.

I get your point but they have bollards at IKEA too, and they are all about sweetness and light at IKEA.

It just feels bad and sad and cold and ugly at The OC... because it is.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
The only place besides Dunkin Donuts that I ever go to is Radio Shack (for electronic parts) -- but it is the worst organized Radio Shack on the planet!

...but I must say that "Circle of Hell" or even "Circle of Bollards" -- would be a better name than "Old Colony."

Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Pathmark is one Dante's lesser known circles of hell.

BTW: I will say it is now way better at "Old Colony" than it was 5 years ago
-- but sure maybe they should not let the kiddies out of school during lunch time and/or maybe they need to force that "Old Colony" liquor store to close by 8pm...but then again, maybe they should close most of the liquor stores in JC by 8pm!

Posted on: 2009/3/18 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:

There are a lot of inconsiderate people out there and most people know that. That's why there hasn't been a stink about the bollards.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I get out of work at 11pm. If I need to make a run to the supermarket I go to A&P or Shoprite (even though I pass Pathmark on my way home).

I will only go to Pathmark if I really really need something like cat litter and it's after midnight (other things I might need like cold remedies and tampons are closed off). I hate that they shut all the registers down (even the self-checkout registers) except for one at 11pm. I was on line for 1/2 an hour once because the woman at the head of the line kept having her credit cards denied. It was such a fluster cluck! They couldn't find the manager and once they did he told all 20 of us on line that he couldn't open another register until this order was finished. (What pissed me off the most is that she wound up paying with cash that she had all along!).

I'm pretty sure that Pathmark is one Dante's lesser known circles of hell.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
It must have been pre-2004 that this happened. From what I understand, downtown was much more dangerous 10 years ago than it is now.

I think getting Shoprite-style anti-theft carts might be the best solution for Pathmark.

Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Pathmark took away the bollards for a time years ago with disastrous results. Their entire supply of carts disappeared within weeks. I think they'd rather insult a few people who don't know the history of the problem than have to replace the carts over and over again.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 17:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
i think its good to keep the carts restricted, look at what happens with those red BJ carts, im not sure if they have fixed the problem or not, but last summer i was seeing them as far from BJs as Van Vorst Park... there was a post on here of BJ's cart spottings with photos, they were all over! it would be nice if people could be trusted to put things back when they are done, but this is not the case. its not just cities, i've seen it in some suburbs as well. its not really adding to the landscape of any neighborhood to have blue or red shopping carts scattered all over the place.

also, that parthmark has no cart return area in the parking lots, and that parking lot is a huge mess as it is, i don't see it improving any time soon.

i only run there when i don't have the money to go to the organic market and i need something quickly. other than that i go to the A&P near the tunnel too. i second that suggestion, its much much nicer, better quality produce and more open lines, and a nicer parking lot. no huge holes and people hanging around.

old colony is a mess.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
ripple,

Have you actually seen the people who shop there? Or been living here very long? Those Bollards are the only thing keeping the carts from being on every corner, in the possession of every bum or just plain littered around our neighborhoods. Pathmark should never get rid of them. Need I bring up BJs?

Posted on: 2009/3/18 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Pathmark took away the bollards for a time years ago with disastrous results. Their entire supply of carts disappeared within weeks. I think they'd rather insult a few people who don't know the history of the problem than have to replace the carts over and over again.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

MikeD wrote:
Personally, I hope one thing they don't get rid of is the bollards that keep the shopping carts from spilling out into the neighborhood and running into cars parked on the surrounding streets (like mine, for example).

Is it just me?

Posted on: 2009/3/18 17:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/6 20:58
Group:
Registered Users
Personally, I hope one thing they don't get rid of is the bollards that keep the shopping carts from spilling out into the neighborhood and running into cars parked on the surrounding streets (like mine, for example).

Is it just me?

Posted on: 2009/3/18 17:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/6 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Save yourself a headache and go to the A&P by the Holland Tunnel - it's a much nicer shopping experience.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 16:40

Pathmark @ Old Colony...Is it just me?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
Is it just me or am I just simply disgusted and insulted at the way Pathmark at Old COlony is run. And is there something we as a community can do to make them either run a normal supermarket or ship out?
Now granted, I have lived in this area all my life and it was worse before but why the need to still have those bollards that force everyone to drive up to get their groceries or pay one of the kids to help you to the car or just buy a bag of groceries becuase you are shopping alone?
Also they usually have long lines and only 2 registers open.
It's insulting that there are lines like these like you're a second class citizen. Yes a lot of people are going to say that the area is full of bums, or crime or etc..listen I refuse to pay for a few bad apples and I hate to have to go all the way to Route 440 when this one is right there.

My husband surveyed this whole property about 4 years ago and supposedly there is a plan for that whole parcel but meanwhile I am tired of not having what everyone has just because "the area " is not what it should be "yet"....Why must we still accept leftovers? This is close to Ward F so we don't deserve a decent supermarket? We all steal shopping carts? Come on.......

I plan to find out what's going with this......thanks for any thoughts.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 16:37

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017