Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Commuting to lower Manhattan by bike
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
I bike up River Road and across the GW bridge from Jersey City twice a week in the spring, summer and fall. It is a fabulous ride, with one really good series of climbs when you reach fort lee.

If you have not done it. At least try it once on the weekend. Besides the unavoidable traffic areas, it is an amazing ride with a fanastic view.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
The new posts are helpful, thanks, if ironic - after posting this message in the fall of '08, I bought a nice hybrid Schwinn, which was stolen last fall - out of the LOCKED GARAGE IN MY BUILDING in the Heights!

So I am in the market for another new bike. Does anyone have any thoughts on how the folding commuter bikes, like the one GrovePath illustrates, hold up to JC's hills (and atrocious roads)? I live in the Heights, and take Mountain Road or Newark Avenue a lot.

Well make sure you get a multi speed bike. The folders hold up well they are durable and ride smooth you won't feel as if you were on a circus bike. And use the 9th St. elevator instead of Mt. Rd.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 19:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
The new posts are helpful, thanks, if ironic - after posting this message in the fall of '08, I bought a nice hybrid Schwinn, which was stolen last fall - out of the LOCKED GARAGE IN MY BUILDING in the Heights!

So I am in the market for another new bike. Does anyone have any thoughts on how the folding commuter bikes, like the one GrovePath illustrates, hold up to JC's hills (and atrocious roads)? I live in the Heights, and take Mountain Road or Newark Avenue a lot.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I think you might even get one for a little less but...
$199 Dahon - No Tax/Free Delivery

Resized Image
Resized Image

http://cycling-tokyo.blogspot.com/

Posted on: 2010/3/4 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can take a bicycle onto the NYWaterways ferry during rush hour?

TIA.

Lynne

The answer is YES. I normally commute via the PATH trains but, since the hours for bringing bikes on board are not always convenient, I am sometimes forced to use the ferry. There are no restrictions on when you can bring your bike with you on NY Waterways. BUT, keep in mind that they will charge you an extra dollar on top of their already inflated rates.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Folding Bike Festival: Saturday May 22

http://times-up.org/index.php?page=folds-up-ride

A leisurely 10-mile ride through Manhattan and Brooklyn showcasing folding bicycles. (But all types of bikes are welcome, as long as their riders are folding-curious

Learn all about folding bicycles, and see and try out different models. Refreshments courtesy of Swift Folder.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 0:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I could not afford a Brompton, so I've been riding a Dahon Curve D3. (3speed, aluminum frame, 16" wheels)
The small wheels make it less intrusive on the PATH than a 20" wheel folder. And it fits under my desk folded.
Its holding up well after a year of commuting since I'm an all weather commuter. It gets folded/unfolded 6 times each day so I have it down to 5 seconds to fold or unfold it.

Grove Street Bicycles sells this model, plus other Dahons.

miles

Posted on: 2010/3/3 21:26

Re: Bicycle on the Ferry
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/3/3 21:10
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Bicycle on the Ferry
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can take a bicycle onto the NYWaterways ferry during rush hour?

TIA.

Lynne

Posted on: 2010/3/3 19:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
We need a second tunnel for pedestrians, bikes, mopeds, disabled motorized carts and motorbikes no greater then 125cc. It could also incorporate some sort of electric light-weight open roof train. (3 seats wide with 10 rows in length or something like that)

I agree with fat-ass-bike as there are enough pedestrians, bike-riders (myself included), etc, who could use another tunnel. I'm not sure it will happen. I would love to commute into the city with my bike but I feel intimidated because the path for example isn't exactly made to accomodate bike-riders. I don't want to have to buy yet another bike just so that I can commute into the city. Carrying my bikes up and down the stairs could be a disaster as I am a pretty short gal. I already own 2. The ferry sounds like a great idea but it is pricier, plus the idea of the ferry being crowded with commuters is a big turn-off for me...

Posted on: 2009/3/18 1:36
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
We need a second tunnel for pedestrians, bikes, mopeds, disabled motorized carts and motorbikes no greater then 125cc. It could also incorporate some sort of electric light-weight open roof train. (3 seats wide with 10 rows in length or something like that)

Or we could just put on our ruby red slippers and click our heels together three times.

Which do you think is more likely to happen?

Posted on: 2009/3/17 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/16 23:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
I'd compare the Brompton more to an Audi or a Volvo, with unmatched folding engineering. It's not as comfortable a ride, for sure, as some other brands, but I doubt there is another bike that gets as compact as quickly and is made as well. For example, the bike folds in a manner that the chain is completely tucked inside, and, therefore, does not rub against your clothing or other people's clothing. I shamelessly admit to being a Brompton schill.

The saddle is half the game kind of like insoles to a shoe, or the shoe itself. The stock Brompton saddle is excruciatingly painful so I changed to a Brooks with a light spring and a simple replacement for the Dahon is a nice reprieve.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
I'd compare the Brompton more to an Audi or a Volvo, with unmatched folding engineering. It's not as comfortable a ride, for sure, as some other brands, but I doubt there is another bike that gets as compact as quickly and is made as well. For example, the bike folds in a manner that the chain is completely tucked inside, and, therefore, does not rub against your clothing or other people's clothing. I shamelessly admit to being a Brompton schill.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greested wrote:
I\'ve been doing the JC to Lower Manhattan bike commute for going on three years, and I\'ve done it with full size and folding bikes, and on both the PATH and the Ferry. Most recent commute in was yesterday (yes, it was Sunday - I\'m just happy to still have a job!). It\'s a great way to get to work. Here\'s my 2 Cents:

2. Downside to the Ferry is cost. As of last fall (last time I took the Ferry), it was $4.85 + $1.00 for the bike ($5.85 total) one way from Paulus Hook to the World Financial Center. That\'s $4+ more each way than using the PATH.

3. Folders are also fine if you decide to go the PATH route. Don\'t skimp on the bike, though. I bought a Dahon Piccolo when I first moved to JC, and the little thing rattled apart after a week of JC and Manhattan street riding. Get a bigger Dahon, or even better, a Brompton, if you\'re serious about using the PATH + folder method. And get it from a good shop that includes free tune ups (I\'m a big fan of Gotham in Tribeca) - you\'ll need them between JC and Manhattan roads! Full size bike is definitely better than a folder for riding around this town.

I have both a Dahon and a Brompton. The Dahon is a strong heavy entry level machine equipped with all the essentials I have the folding thing down to a science, like tying your shoes. The Brompton is good in the summer when in shorts for a quick tool around similar to driving a convertible where the Dahon is the SUV of the folding bike family. James Vincent Bikes on Palisade Ave. in the Heights also sells and services Dahons.

http://www.jamesvincentbicycles.com/

351 Palisade Avenue Jersey City, NJ
(between Franklin & Ferry) 201-420-5151

Posted on: 2009/3/16 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Ferry to WFC from Paulus Hook is $6 now.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
+1 Greested.

Biking to the ferry, staying above ground in the light and air, not pressing against strangers is the BEST commute. And I agree with the warning not to scrimp on the bike. I started with a lower-priced, but decent, fold-up, and ended up buying a Brompton, which is perfect for my needs. It folds quickly--perfect and small--and is a high quality machine.

I have also never paid a bike fee for a fold-up on the ferry.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 17:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/12 13:06
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I've been doing the JC to Lower Manhattan bike commute for going on three years, and I've done it with full size and folding bikes, and on both the PATH and the Ferry. Most recent commute in was yesterday (yes, it was Sunday - I'm just happy to still have a job!). It's a great way to get to work. Here's my 2 Cents:

1. Ferry is definitely the easiest and most civilized way to go. Even with a folding bike, you're still dealing with turnstiles and stairs on the PATH, which can be a pain. With the Ferry, you just ride right up to the dock, wheel your bike on, and you're done. Also, as was noted in an earlier post, there are no time restrictions, so you can bring a full size bike on during the morning rush, which you can't do on the PATH. Finally, riding the boats is just a nice way to get to work - outside, wind in your face, sunshine, etc. Much better than being underground.

2. Downside to the Ferry is cost. As of last fall (last time I took the Ferry), it was $4.85 + $1.00 for the bike ($5.85 total) one way from Paulus Hook to the World Financial Center. That's $4+ more each way than using the PATH.

3. Folders are also fine if you decide to go the PATH route. Don't skimp on the bike, though. I bought a Dahon Piccolo when I first moved to JC, and the little thing rattled apart after a week of JC and Manhattan street riding. Get a bigger Dahon, or even better, a Brompton, if you're serious about using the PATH + folder method. And get it from a good shop that includes free tune ups (I'm a big fan of Gotham in Tribeca) - you'll need them between JC and Manhattan roads! Full size bike is definitely better than a folder for riding around this town.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
Needing the excercise - and hoping to avoid the dreaded NJT 87 bus! - I am thinking of getting a bike, to ride to the PATH. Why not commute from the Heights to my office by City Hall Park in Manhattan?

Does anyone have experience biking to lower Manhattan to share? Can you take bikes on the ferries?

I have experience traveling to Lower Manhattan early weekend mornings on the WTC PATH train. The WTC PATH station has a handicap turnstile for easy pass-through. When exiting the WTC PATH station I usually ride straight down West Broadway to Murray St. then make a left onto Murray to the Greenway a north/south bike and runner's path (no cars).

I use a folding bike which is more PATH friendly than a regular sized bicycle. It can be placed between the door and the seat on a 2 door PATH car. The newer PATH train cars will be 3 door cars.

I do not have any infomation on the ferry system.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 15:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
Get a folding bike. You can bring it on the PATH during rush-hour. The ferries allow bikes.

http://www.dahon.com/

Posted on: 2009/3/16 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Yes - you can take your bike on the ferry, even during rush hour. The only caveat is that you have to buy a bike ticket. It was $1 the last time I did it, but that was two years ago so I'm not sure how much it is now. I do still see people with bikes on the ferry so I know you can definitely do it.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 15:23

Commuting to lower Manhattan by bike
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Needing the excercise - and hoping to avoid the dreaded NJT 87 bus! - I am thinking of getting a bike, to ride to the PATH. Why not commute from the Heights to my office by City Hall Park in Manhattan?

Does anyone have experience biking to lower Manhattan to share? Can you take bikes on the ferries?

Posted on: 2009/3/16 15:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017