Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Public School Choice
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
I have a friend who works in #17. From what she says, dismal is not the word to describe it............horrible is more appropriate.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 16:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/19 23:22
Group:
Registered Users
i'm not sure ps 17 is so dismal. we are considering it for when our 3 yo is ready in a few years. have you gone and looked at it?

Posted on: 2009/3/13 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
to know how it's name is spelled

Yes, McKinley is McGinley but it's as a possessive is 'its'.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 12:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/30 1:35
Group:
Banned
Quote:

loopmaker wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions (except for Hudson Horizons--your parents and teachers, sweetie, failed you somehow since you get kicks out of bullying here).

Yeah, loopie, my parents and teachers were too busy teaching me to be aware and involved and have enough respect for my community to know how it's name is spelled, guess I missed the lesson on how to be phony-nice.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 0:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/30 13:21
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the suggestions (except for Hudson Horizons--your parents and teachers, sweetie, failed you somehow since you get kicks out of bullying here). I did look into Ethical Community and it is only for incoming kindergarten and 1st graders, not older children. I was hoping St Aloysius would improve as some other catholic schools are closing and it is becoming an "academy". But as it is they are understaffed. The first graders are supposed to have Spanish once a week and have only had it 3 times this year. I had heard that there is possibility to demand school choice so I am going to try to do that as I can no longer afford even this modest tuition but cannot qualify for any aid.

Posted on: 2009/3/12 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think Elysian has taken "out of Hoboken" kids for a while, as those kids have to go to end of the list behind children from Hoboken -- by law. As you note, LCCS's list extend from here to eternity, but Ethical Culture is worth looking into. I know they've had their lottery already but I do not know anything about their wait list.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

claire wrote:
There are some great charter schools in the area. There is a new one opening in the heights in September. Think it is called Ethical Community Charter School of Jersey City. Elysian Charter School is a really fantastic charter school in Hoboken that accepts applications from outside Hoboken.

Last I heard, Elysian has a long a wait list of Hoboken residents, they get 4 or 5 applicants for every slot like LCCS. LCCS is moving close to the OP next year and expanding enrollment, unfortunately she has already missed the Jan 9, 2009 deadline for applying.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 21:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/26 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
There are some great charter schools in the area. There is a new one opening in the heights in September. Think it is called Ethical Community Charter School of Jersey City. Elysian Charter School is a really fantastic charter school in Hoboken that accepts applications from outside Hoboken.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 21:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
This link may prove helpful. It shows the "report cards" for various Jersey City Schools. If your area school does not comply with the No Child Left Behind proficiency guidlines, and is termed a "school in need of improvement" I believe you are entitled to apply to a school that does depending on a vacancy being available. Many Jersey City schools are termed in need of improvement so good luck!

http://education.state.nj.us/rc/rc08/ ... ons.php?c=17&d=2390&s=320

Posted on: 2009/3/10 20:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 12:59
Group:
Registered Users
#11, Martin Luther King School, is good. All district schools are multicultural, #11 the most.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 13:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/31 12:12
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, you CAN just apply to the school you like the most. All you have to do is fill out a "Request for Open Enrollment" form and deliver to the school you'd like to attend. The zoned students have priority, but, if there is room, your child will be admitted (on a first come, first served basis).

I don't know much about the schools in your area, but if you join the "jcschools" yahoo group I'm sure you will find somebody with info.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 12:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/30 1:35
Group:
Banned
Quote:

loopmaker wrote:
I moved to McKinley Square area over the summer and my assigned elementary school is No. 17 on Bergen Avenue. I was not sure how rough the kids were there and anyway they did not have enough places for the first graders so I put my daughter in St Aloysius on West Side as a relatively inexpensive alternative. I find it is safe and small environment but not that rigorous. With the economy as it is, and my absolutely stunning parlor floor apartment without a tenant (please come see--shameless plug) I want to find an excellent public school for next year, second grade. I have heard that No. 1 and martin Luther King are good--true? Can anyone tell me how I can go about this. The individual schools do not seem to give tours or accept applications and I probably missed the lottery for charter schools. Any advice?

Sweetie, you bought property and you've lived there for almost a year, please stop spelling it "McKinley".

I didn't realize public schools just let parents shop around. With the exception of charter schools (a debate for another thread) I'm pretty sure you can't just "apply" for the public school you like the mostest.

If your approach to pro-active parenting isn't particularly rigorous, why should your child's education be?

Posted on: 2009/3/10 4:20

Public School Choice

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/30 13:21
Group:
Registered Users
I moved to McKinley Square area over the summer and my assigned elementary school is No. 17 on Bergen Avenue. I was not sure how rough the kids were there and anyway they did not have enough places for the first graders so I put my daughter in St Aloysius on West Side as a relatively inexpensive alternative. I find it is safe and small environment but not that rigorous. With the economy as it is, and my absolutely stunning parlor floor apartment without a tenant (please come see--shameless plug) I want to find an excellent public school for next year, second grade. I have heard that No. 1 and martin Luther King are good--true? Can anyone tell me how I can go about this. The individual schools do not seem to give tours or accept applications and I probably missed the lottery for charter schools. Any advice?

Posted on: 2009/3/10 4:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017