Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
65 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 63

JPhurst, Bike_Lane, more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 »

Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Many American soldiers died in JC during World Wars 1 & 2.

Huh. I wasn't aware of the great battles of WWs 1 and 2 that took place in Jersey City. You really do learn something new every day.

She was presumably talking about soldiers killed by criminals during their leave.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:10
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
But guys, that monument is unique and interesting. Everything going up around us is so bland and corporate. Yeah, it is grotesque, macabre, from long ago and relevant to a community that exists to a lesser extent than immigrants from the very part of the world that committed the massacre, but if nothing else it is a cool conversation piece. As to discussions of replacing it with a monument to something more "relevant" like Native Americans or slavery or whatever, that would be hugely political and the last thing we need. Whatever you could say about the monument, it isn't driving identity politics or supportive of any political spectrum. It is just an interesting piece of art.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:03
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I like it. #Samsung's olive #samsungsolveps5

Posted on: 2016/3/18 14:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Not me! I like it. One of the simple pleasures of living in a city is wandering around, and finding statues and monuments to long-lost historic figures and events. Some, like 'Memory', the memorial to the Mr. & Mrs. Strauss, who died on the Titanic, are lovely - tho' you wouldn't know what it's for. Some, like the Bear and Bison (?) sculpture in Leonard Gordon Park in my neighborhood are baffling at first, but a delight once you know the history.

I vote not only for keeping it, but more public sculpture that enhances our sense of history.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 13:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
At least they didn't put up a statue of this prick!

Resized Image

Controversial sidebar opinion: Gandhi actually was a prick! Total racist.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 13:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[quote]
Yvonne wrote:
I know my history.

NO. You don't. There was no submarine attack at Black Tom Island. It was ruled / determined to be the work of saboteurs.

YOU are the one that made the claim that the Black Tom explosions were the cause of a German submarine. How about YOU provide proof of that claim? You are truly, truly delusional. Your own link states that the explosions were due to other possibilities.

Yvonne knows because she was on the sub! That's the most logical explanation.

She is an ignorant, racist, deluded megalomaniac. At first, it is amusing, then annoying, and now it is simply irritating.

There is ONLY ONE documented instance of a location in the U.S. coming under hostile fire in WWI. A German U-boat was attacking a tug boat, and some shells overflew the target, landing on a beach on the coast of MA. But, sure, why let facts get on the way of Yvonne's version of history.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 13:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:

No, she heard from a friend who was on the sub. The same friend who saw all those Muslims celebrating in JC on 9/11. It's also the friend who had to stop going to his doctor because of the pedestrian plaza on Newark Ave.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 13:47
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[quote]
Yvonne wrote:
I know my history.

NO. You don't. There was no submarine attack at Black Tom Island. It was ruled / determined to be the work of saboteurs.

YOU are the one that made the claim that the Black Tom explosions were the cause of a German submarine. How about YOU provide proof of that claim? You are truly, truly delusional. Your own link states that the explosions were due to other possibilities.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 12:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I know my history.

Where is your proof?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:50
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
At least they didn't put up a statue of this prick!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[Do you even know who is the person being honored/remembered by Marin Blvd?

No, she doesn't. She and her husband call it Henderson Street in one of her home videos (railing about parking, no doubt). It was quite hilarious because no one had any clue wtf they were babbling about, using a long-defunct street name.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Yvonne: I believe monuments should reflect the US history not another country's history.

You should certainly start advocating for the immediate elimination of all those monuments to that foreign guy from Nazareth that seem to be all over the city. It's a disgrace, really. I mean, the whole operation is headed up by foreigners anyway - even to this day! And the buildings they're in front of? Yup, paid for by poor working men and women. What really takes the cake is that the behemoth that runs the whole racket doesn't even pay taxes! There should be an investigation.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:40

Edited by jerseymom on 2016/3/18 12:00:17
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
how about the link that YOU POSTED CHRIST DO YOU EVEN READ WHAT YOU WRITE

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, there was not battles here except for Black Tom, which was the name of Porte Liberte then. There was an explosion from a German sub. But the people who served in those wars were from JC had a high mortality rate. The generals recognized their sacrifice. There was a sign called "Old Glory." I know my history.

https://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistor ... s/Black_Tom_Explosion.htm

"On the evening of the Black Tom incident, barges and freight cars at the depot were reportedly filled with over two million pounds of ammunition waiting to be shipped overseas. The munitions at the depot included shrapnel, black powder, TNT and dynamite. The Johnson Barge No.17, for example, held some one hundred thousand pounds of TNT. Given these incendiary devices, the Black Tom facility was not securely gated to safeguard the nearby civilian population from the potential of foul play.

Had the fire begun as a result of "spontaneous combustion," carelessness of one of the employees or guards, or German sabotage?

A suspect in the incident was Michael Kristoff, a 23-year old immigrant living with relatives in nearby Bayonne and a former employer at the Tidewater Oil Company. Kristoff is said to have started the fires at Black Tom with incendiary devices in exchange for five hundred dollars."

it never even mentions submarines. God Yvonne

I am not a diety, you can use the term Yvonne, not God Yvonne.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:38
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The monument happened because Mayor Cucci and Councilman Vazquez were courting the Polish vote. It does not belong in JC. It is more appropriate in a cemetery. My late mother in law was Polish, so I am not anti-Polish. But this does not belong. I believe monuments should reflect the US history not another country's history.

We should tear the statue down and install a parking lot. amirite?

Or at least build a statue of the person to build the first parking lot in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:34
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
how about the link that YOU POSTED CHRIST DO YOU EVEN READ WHAT YOU WRITE

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, there was not battles here except for Black Tom, which was the name of Porte Liberte then. There was an explosion from a German sub. But the people who served in those wars were from JC had a high mortality rate. The generals recognized their sacrifice. There was a sign called "Old Glory." I know my history.

"On the evening of the Black Tom incident, barges and freight cars at the depot were reportedly filled with over two million pounds of ammunition waiting to be shipped overseas. The munitions at the depot included shrapnel, black powder, TNT and dynamite. The Johnson Barge No.17, for example, held some one hundred thousand pounds of TNT. Given these incendiary devices, the Black Tom facility was not securely gated to safeguard the nearby civilian population from the potential of foul play.

Had the fire begun as a result of "spontaneous combustion," carelessness of one of the employees or guards, or German sabotage?

A suspect in the incident was Michael Kristoff, a 23-year old immigrant living with relatives in nearby Bayonne and a former employer at the Tidewater Oil Company. Kristoff is said to have started the fires at Black Tom with incendiary devices in exchange for five hundred dollars."

it never even mentions submarines. God Yvonne

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:32
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I know my history.

Where is your proof?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:29
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I know my history.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:24
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:09
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Huh. I wasn't aware of the great battles of WWs 1 and 2 that took place in Jersey City. You really do learn something new every day.

JC is where General Patton launched his first assault. After taking back the waterfront and returning free parking to its residents, something the Nazis took away, Patton marched his unit across the ocean.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:08
Dos A Cero
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Many American soldiers died in JC during World Wars 1 & 2. There was a sign at Mercer St perhaps near Monmouth called "Old Glory" denoting their sacrifice. The bottom line - there is enough history to have monuments on our history. We do not need to display another country's history. It used to be if you came to the USA, you were proud to be American, now you want your pieces of your former country, then why leave? We have streets named for people who never lived in the USA. An example is Marin Blvd. That name used to be Henderson. Henderson along with his brother produced pottery that became internationally recognized and one of the brothers became mayor of JC. So what do we do? In the 1980s, the take his name away and give it to some one who represents another ethnic group and never lived in the USA.

You are SO IGNORANT. It is terrifying to think you actually taught little children. From your atrocious grammar, to your ignorant opinions and misinformed thoughts, you are the very embodiment of what people fear when they speak of subpar teachers.

Tell me Yvonne, do you consider Hawaii part of the USA? Or, how about DC? Do you even know who is the person being honored/remembered by Marin Blvd?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 10:59
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
We're a nation of immigrants, yet there are people that stubbornly refuse to accept this fact. It really is quite sad...

Posted on: 2016/3/18 10:57
Dos A Cero
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I believe monuments should reflect the US history not another country's history.

Did you think that all the way through?

No, she didn't. But, then again does she ever??

Posted on: 2016/3/18 10:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Clemente Field? GTFO. Dude wasn't even American.

Huh?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 10:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Many American soldiers died in JC during World Wars 1 & 2. There was a sign at Mercer St perhaps near Monmouth called "Old Glory" denoting their sacrifice. The bottom line - there is enough history to have monuments on our history. We do not need to display another country's history. It used to be if you came to the USA, you were proud to be American, now you want your pieces of your former country, then why leave? We have streets named for people who never lived in the USA. An example is Marin Blvd. That name used to be Henderson. Henderson along with his brother produced pottery that became internationally recognized and one of the brothers became mayor of JC. So what do we do? In the 1980s, the take his name away and give it to some one who represents another ethnic group and never lived in the USA.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 10:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I believe monuments should reflect the US history not another country's history.

Did you think that all the way through? What about, for example, the United States’ numerous Holocaust and Great Famine memorials?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 10:44
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
No, she's right. It's time to clean house.

Clemente Field? GTFO. Dude wasn't even American.

Columbus Triangle? Sorry, paisan, take it back it Italy.

It's time somebody had the nerve to say something. Also, what's with all this Dutch shit around here? I haven't met anybody named Van Vorst the entire time I've lived here.

Posted on: 2016/3/17 23:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, you're crazy. Keep the monument.

Posted on: 2016/3/17 22:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
The monument happened because Mayor Cucci and Councilman Vazquez were courting the Polish vote. It does not belong in JC. It is more appropriate in a cemetery. My late mother in law was Polish, so I am not anti-Polish. But this does not belong. I believe monuments should reflect the US history not another country's history.

Posted on: 2016/3/17 22:18
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Annual Katyn Forest Massacre memorial service April 10 in Jersey City

By Alisha Morales-Lizardo | The Jersey Journal 
Email the author 
on March 15, 2016 at 12:47pm

The Katyn Forest Massacre Memorial Committee will hold a remembrance ceremony in Jersey City on April 10 to mark the 76th anniversary of the Katyn Forest Massacre and the sixth anniversary of the Smolensk airplane catastrophe.

Read more,  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _katyn_1940_monument.html

Posted on: 2016/3/17 22:00
Print Top

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact