Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 51

DanL, more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
It's about shock value, and it obviously works. You would know what I mean if you've been in combat.

War is grotesque and perhaps this monument is also.

However, instead of hiding this statue in an empty war memorial park where no one ever bothers to read the names of the war dead, it is displayed exactly where it belongs.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 0:52
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
The monument has value but I would prefer to have a memorial commemorating a United States historical event in such a prominent location.Maybe a 9/11 memorial or a memorial to war veterans who gave the ultimate sacrifice.It's just such a prime location with so many people passing by that it should make us reflect on United States heroes.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 23:59
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
It belongs in the park with the other WWII monuments.

No disrespect to anyone, but it is a rather literal depiction of something grotesque and ruins the skyline.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 23:47
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
According to Wajda's film, the victims were shot, not bayoneted. Given his personal relationship to the atrocity I don't think he would have misrepresented this unlike the artist that was commissioned for the memorial at Exchange Place.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 23:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
I'm all for honoring events that have (or once had) an effect on JC residents. But that statue is so macabre that it's almost comical, and thus is hardly a respectful commemoration of the Katyn massacre victims.

On the other hand, it's so freaky that when I first saw it, I thought "I have GOT to know what that's all about," and probably wouldn't have bothered to learn about this slice of 20th Century history otherwise.

It definitely gets one's attention.

But admit it, Binky. Comparing this waterfront curiosity to the Holocaust Museum falls under the heading "Disingenuous."

If anyone wants to find out more about Katyn, there is a film showing at Film Forum currently called, um, "Katyn" directed by Polish veteran director Andrzej Wajda whose father was among those murdered. I didnt particularly enjoy this film, although I suppose you are not meant to. It is told from the perspective of the families left behind trying to find out what happened (the Nazi's and Russians tried to blame the atrocity on each other and it was not until relatively recently that Russia finally accepted responsibility).

Now, does anybody who supports the memorial think that the statue is tasteful and fitting? Honestly, now.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 17:08
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all for honoring events that have (or once had) an effect on JC residents. But that statue is so macabre that it's almost comical, and thus is hardly a respectful commemoration of the Katyn massacre victims.

On the other hand, it's so freaky that when I first saw it, I thought "I have GOT to know what that's all about," and probably wouldn't have bothered to learn about this slice of 20th Century history otherwise.

It definitely gets one's attention.

But admit it, Binky. Comparing this waterfront curiosity to the Holocaust Museum falls under the heading "Disingenuous."

Posted on: 2009/3/9 16:53
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
With all respect to the victims of the Katyn massacre one could suppose the Jersey City politicos see the monument as a memeorial to political "backstabbing".

Posted on: 2009/3/9 15:17
Print Top

Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Banned

Since I've lived here I have not been able to understand why we would want to superimpose the NYC skyline at our most prime waterfront location (Exchange Place) with a giant, grotesque symbol of foreign nationalism.

Apparently there were originally a huge amount of Polish that lived here and had their way with the place, but downtown is clearly not a Polish/ethnic neighborhood any longer. Lots of terrible things happened to lots of people during lots of wars in lots of places all throughout history. This thing has to do with a conflict between Poland and Russia. What is it doing here?

Can't we think of something a bit more positive to welcome NYC travelers to Jersey City with?

Posted on: 2009/3/9 13:16
Print Top

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017