Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Newport Mall Movie Theaters are disgusting
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
NickRees wrote:

Well I have to say I had a great experience movie-going experience this weekend by going to the Loew's theater in Journal Square.
[quote]

At the Loew's do they show the movie on Film or is it some kind of DVD Projector?
If it is film, is it good quality or all scratchy?

Posted on: 2009/3/2 5:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/30 1:35
Group:
Banned
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
What do you expect, its newport mall.

+1

if i really want to catch a movie on the big screen (rare these days), i'll go to lowes in secaucus

Big LOL. Those theaters are in even worse physical shape than Newport. That's why they're building a new stadium seating theater in the parking lot across from the loew's six.

There are FAR better places to see a movie on the big screen than either Secaucus or Newport.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 5:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

+1

if i really want to catch a movie on the big screen (rare these days), i'll go to lowes in secaucus

Posted on: 2009/3/2 4:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/14 0:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
I don't care what movie theater it is, I'm not going to pay 9 or 10 bucks to see a movie. I'll wait the three months to rent the DVD for a dollar.

Well I have to say I had a great experience movie-going experience this weekend by going to the Loew's theater in Journal Square. They were having a Film Noir weekend and showed classic films of the genre (Polanski's Chinatown, Kubric's The Killing, Hathaway's Niagra, and Dassain's Night and the City).
A magnificent vintage movie theater where you can see the films as they were originally intended to be shown. Foster Hirsch a professor of film and film noir expert was on hand to introduce each film with interesting comments and conducted a Q&A session afterwards.
They even have an organ that elevates and goes back into the floor with some excellent house organists providing entertainment before the films and in the interval between double bills. I recommend people try this experience the next time they have a program.

As for Newport, well I try not to go there but once in a while they have a film that I want to see and it is cheaper than going into NYC so I try to go during a quiet period which means not Friday or Saturday evening. However, the experience is often ruined by other patrons that don't have a clue how to behave.
I can't believe that they don't fix the hand-dryers in the men's bathroom. Only one is working; the others have been broken for over a year

Posted on: 2009/3/2 4:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/1 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
Frank's in Bayonne is my choice. Easy to get to from JC and a better (i.e. older) audience than either Newport or Edgewater.

Posted on: 2009/3/1 8:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Once you deduct the price of the rip-off parking at Newport, Edgewater ticket prices are no higher than Newport. ... and so much nicer.

Posted on: 2009/3/1 2:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped going to Newport about 4 years ago. If you want to enjoy the movie theatre experience, I'd recommend Edgewater Mutiplex Theatres in Edgewater at 339 River Road. Although a bit on the pricier side, I find it worth it. The seats are the roomiest I've seen, the theatres are impeccably clean and the Moviegoers tend to be more on the mature side.
I also go to Loews at New Jersey Gardens Mall in Elizabeth if going with my entire family. There are lots of spacious, arena type theatres, with very large screens. They're also pretty clean, not impeccable but alot better than Newport. Personally I have not had a bad experience there however I stress that it's more a family type theatre. I have never had a bad experience there personally and I've noticed the matinees tend to be alot less crowded...

Posted on: 2009/3/1 2:13
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/15 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
I hate going to see movies at Newport, but somehow once in a while I end up doing it anyway, bc I don't feel like shlepping into the city. It seems like everytime I go it is a miserable movie going experience. Either there are one or more crying babies, or someone who talks on his cell phone as if there aren't other people in the theater tring to watch a movie in peace. It's amazing how rude people can be. Last time, I went to see Benjamin Button and we had to sit through 15 minutes of trailers for kiddie movies before everyone realized that they had put the wrong movie in the projector. When everyone went into the lobby to see what was going on they acted like we were inconveniencing them. I should have learned my lesson a long time ago and stay away from this awful theater.

Posted on: 2009/3/1 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I think the last time I was there was June 2006. Empty theater and a bunch of noisy teens sat in front of me.

There's nothing that I *have* to see right away so I wait a few months and rent it from Netflix.

Posted on: 2009/2/28 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
I don't care what movie theater it is, I'm not going to pay 9 or 10 bucks to see a movie. I'll wait the three months to rent the DVD for a dollar.

Posted on: 2009/2/28 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Get some of those feral cats from Lincoln Park to live in the theater or ask animal control to dump some inside there.

Posted on: 2009/2/28 19:09
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
My first experience with this movie theater was for the last Lord of the Rings movie. Second weekend so it was pretty crowded.

There was not one, not two, but three crying babies in attendance. Only one mother got up when her baby got loud.
The other two mothers were rocking back and forth, patting their kids on their backs, as they never took their eyes off the screen, as if they were in their own living room. I told an usher who didn't do anything.

Posted on: 2009/2/28 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Yup, I've encountered mice there, too. The final straw for me was last summer - not only was there a mouse running up and down the aisle, but there was also a moth flitting about. Everytime the moth got into the projection path, you'd see a big dark blob on the screen. I won't go there to see movies anymore. (Try the Regal on North End Ave in Battery Park City - just a couple of blocks west of the WTC PATH station - it's got great arena seating) In fact, I won't go to Newport Mall period. It's about as unpleasant a shopping experience as you can imagine.

Posted on: 2009/2/28 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/2/28 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Thought I'd go to a movie by myself there and two teenagers sat directly in front of me (empty theater) and the young kid proceeded to try and get to second base with his girlfriend. They obviously were amused that I was trying to watch the movie. It was my second time attempting to watch a movie there where the local kids are just there to hang out, not watch the movie. I'll never go there again, but something tells me they don't care - their friends are the ones working at the theater...

Posted on: 2009/2/28 14:10

Newport Mall Movie Theaters are disgusting
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/4 14:33
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Just got out of the movies at Newport went to see Slumdog Millionaire (Theater 7). Heard something squeaking while waiting for the previews to start, thought nothing of it and kept waiting for the previews.

Heard it again and checked under the seat, seen a mouse crawling around, absolutely disgusting. Never going there again.

Posted on: 2009/2/28 5:53

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017