Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fulop to face new challenge in Ward E
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/30 1:35
Group:
Banned
Quote:

4bailey wrote:
I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what the other Ward E candidates have to say.

Steve may still end up with my vote, but I?ve been a bit uneasy about the prominence of the ?family initiative? types on Team Fulop (first Althea Bernheim,? now Shelly Skinner). There are other constituents in Ward E and I hope the heavy FI presence isn?t a forecast of the priorities in a next term for Councilman Fulop.

So,?I?m willing to at least hear the other candidates out? even the Pizza Man!

Dear Mr. Leavitt:

If for no other reason than it'd be hysterical to watch, please identify yourself as the candidate who will fight blindly to legitimize the concerns of irrational dog-owners everywhere.

Instead of debates, maybe we could get that long-sought-after dog versus child cage match in Hamilton Park we've all been clamoring for.

Only on JCList, folks.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
his experience forming the condominium association has shown him that managing community members is a strength of his that he would like to put to further use.

As a member of the Ward E community, I can't wait to be managed by Mr. Levitt.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
There is no downside to good schools.

They give the kids good education, reduce crime and improve property values.

I think any civic movement to improve schools is worthy of our vigorous support.

The hell with paved streets, I'd drive on potholes if I knew that the schools in JC are good.

Seriously.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

4bailey wrote:
I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what the other Ward E candidates have to say.

Steve may still end up with my vote, but I?ve been a bit uneasy about the prominence of the ?family initiative? types on Team Fulop (first Althea Bernheim,? now Shelly Skinner). There are other constituents in Ward E and I hope the heavy FI presence isn?t a forecast of the priorities in a next term for Councilman Fulop.

4baliey,

I really don't understand why the "family initiatives types" are a bad thing. I think it's great that people use whatever resources they can to give their child and others a decent and safe place to get an education.

I'm not sure what it is I'm missing here?

Posted on: 2009/2/15 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

4bailey wrote:

Yes, because heaven forbid we have schools that Jersey City families can send their children to.

The "family initiative" types that I know tend to take a balanced view of everything that goes on in Jersey City and care about the community as a whole.

In any event I will not apologize at all for saying that even before I became a parent, one of my main concerns about the long-term future of this city has been the schools.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
It's really not that bizarre at all. Competing business and political leaders often gather at retreats or other less formal gatherings where they share best practices, establish metrics, share challenges and exchange ideas. I think it's rather mature that two people who are friends or are friendly can engage in healthy competition to advance their political or social interest. For better or worse, many politicians have started using Facebook to reach out to their constituency. Reading some deeper meaning into it may be a bit misguided.

Certainly, this is no where near as bizarre as a drunken mayor, sitting/sleeping on his front porch for the world to see him in all his glory, or just his angry inch.. Only to follow that act with a fraternity style drunken brawl at the Jersey Shore. "Where were you when the lights went out at Dee Jayees?"

I would hope that people who are most interested in the standards and goals of our political leaders will be more focused on holding their feet to the fire on core issues including but not limited to:

-the quality of our schools.
-the condition of our sewage system
-crime
-evaluating the historic wisdom of selling JC in chunks to the cheapest of developers.

Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I don't get why the facebook pictures remain up -- Talk about "Hobokeness"...

Good question and why would anyone have an ?open to the general public? Facebook page that over 175 million active users can see. This is just all too bizarre even by HC politics standards. Like I said before ??you can?t make this stuff up.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/2/15 15:29
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Good question and why would anyone have an ?open to the general public? Facebook page that over 175 million active users can see. This is just all too bizarre even by HC politics standards. Like I said before ??you can?t make this stuff up.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

Based on Facebook photos of the two in Aruba, it appears they are friendly, and it isn?t clear what precipitated Levitt?s decision. Levitt could not be reached for comment late yesterday afternoon, but Fulop told JCI that Levitt told him he was thinking about running a few months ago, and that he welcomed the competition. ?More candidates create better dialogue,? he said."[/i]

You can't make this stuff up!

Posted on: 2009/2/15 13:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
Headed for an early run and figured i would comment on this one. Firstly, thanks for the positive statements - i am extremely appreciative and it is encouraging. Over the last four years I sometimes wish that I kept a diary of happenings on the political front so I don't forget any of these lessons when I am out of politics although I think the last 2-3 months have been the largest learning experience for me on politics in general in Jersey City.

I would prob say 20 of the "volunteer/political friends" I had decided to leave our team and join one of the mayoral campaigns that they were opposed too within 24 hours of me saying that I wasn't running for mayor.... Many of them have their own personal agenda that they conveyed as their rationale after the fact that is beyond me nor would I have entertained requests had I declared that I was running for mayor. With that said, similar to Josh, I would suspect we will see 2-3 more council candidates based on conversations I have had with people who volunteered when they thought I was possibly running for mayor whom have told me in the past in meetings that they had interest in running for council - I would obviously have hoped not to have them run against me but I cant control this and I dont discourage it of course. Josh in particular was a closer working relationship, who I knew of through mutual friends for sometime, was very involved in the BetterJC initiative, and was even part of a large group vacation I went on, so it is slightly different/more meaningful to me personally but I keep the same statement regardless on all candidates. As I said in the newspaper on Frank, Guy, Jamie, and Josh - generally speaking I know these people personally and say "more people the better as it creates a better dialog". Generally. like the JC Independent reported on Josh none of the candidates who have declared to this point are surprises because some have conveyed to me prior their intentions and all of them I have known before they declared.

In reality, of course I would prob have the easiest time with the smallest field to run against but as I said in the Jersey Journal last month with regards to Healy, it is not my choice.

Hope all is well and info is helpful
Steve

Posted on: 2009/2/15 10:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
More Cops...Less 99 Cent stores... everyone is for that

Posted on: 2009/2/15 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ross_Ewage wrote:

Joshua Levitt: yuppie, environmentalist - probably has some friends (maybe secret ones )

Don't be cynical - embrace the insanity

Seems like the Jersey City Independent has already discovered one of his secret friends.

"Businessman Joshua Levitt has officially announced his challenge to incumbent Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop in the May election. Levitt is the co-founder of a company that sells used computer equipment and is on the board of directors of the Grove Pointe Condominium Association. He also apparently doesn?t like tattoo parlors or 99 cent stores. Like Fulop, Levitt will run as an independent. Based on Facebook photos of the two in Aruba, it appears they are friendly, and it isn?t clear what precipitated Levitt?s decision. Levitt could not be reached for comment late yesterday afternoon, but Fulop told JCI that Levitt told him he was thinking about running a few months ago, and that he welcomed the competition. ?More candidates create better dialogue,? he said."

You can't make this stuff up!

Posted on: 2009/2/15 4:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

"I think Jersey City has the potential to be an example to cities all around the world in terms of what's possible in terms of sustainability and the environment," he said.

...while Rome burns.

The combination of Hobokeness, Grove Pointe, and that quote just make him look like a carpetbagger who has no idea of what is really going on in this city.

I have officially become a good ol' JC cynic.

A true cynic would think that Mr. Joshua was backed by the HCDO or Manzo to siphon off voters from Fulop's demographic. Look at the field so far:

Steve Fulop: strength of incumbency, lots of support and cash - his to lose

Jaime Vazquez: former councilman, latino, purple heart veteran - not without some appeal

Guy Catrillo: artistic type, deep roots - not without, admittedly eccentric, appeal

Joshua Levitt: yuppie, environmentalist - probably has some friends (maybe secret ones )

Frank Scalcione: run on sentence creator, incoherent message board poster, clueless pizza maker - but still a hometown boy

We still have to hear from Manzo, Smith, and Levin. AND, no one has turned in petitions yet.

Depending on turnout, the result or runoff could be decided by only a few hundred votes.

Don't be cynical - embrace the insanity

Posted on: 2009/2/15 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

"I think Jersey City has the potential to be an example to cities all around the world in terms of what's possible in terms of sustainability and the environment," he said.

...while Rome burns.

The combination of Hobokeness, Grove Pointe, and that quote just make him look like a carpetbagger who has no idea of what is really going on in this city.

I have officially become a good ol' JC cynic.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
1. The Healy ads are hilarious and disgusting at the same time.

2. Fulop has my vote.

3. Sorry Schundler stepped out of the mayoral race.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seriously? Is this guy for real. No offense but I don't think anybody really cares about sustainability when shots are being fired every other weekend and store owners are being gunned down by junkies, and that's an understatement!
Get your priorities straight, not that anyone stands a chance against Fulop, to bad he stepped down from the Mayoral race, with Schundler out he would be a shoe-in. Maybe there will be a last minute surprise. Nobody buys these Ads Healy is putting out even if the numbers say he's right, the perception of crime in this city is not good, especially downtown lately, let me count the shells.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 22:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/4 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sticking with Fulop, I've seen what he has done. These new guys are just promises.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 22:24

Fulop to face new challenge in Ward E
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop to face new challenge in Ward E

Saturday, February 14, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Another candidate has thrown his hat in the ring for the Ward E seat on the Jersey City City Council.

Businessman Joshua Levitt yesterday officially announced his challenge to Councilman Steven Fulop in the May election. Like Fulop, Levitt will run as an independent.

Levitt is co-founder and CEO of UsedCisco.com, a Jersey City-based company that sells used network hardware equipment. He is also on the board of directors of the Grove Point Condominium Association and helped organize an umbrella group of condominium associations representing 11 buildings with more than 7,000 residents, he said.

"I'm heavily staked in the community so I'd like to have some influence on what goes on here," he said, adding that his experience forming the condominium association has shown him that managing community members is a strength of his that he would like to put to further use.

Levitt, who is 31 and moved to Jersey City 14 months ago from Hoboken, said his primary focus will be the environment.

Antonio Tony Torres, Jaime Vazquez and Frank Scalcione are also running for the Ward E seat.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 22:00

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017