Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Gaughan's Legacy!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donaldj wrote:
Quote:

JRL wrote:
Must be nice to have your father provide you a job since her florist business did not work out. We should all be so lucky to have the city payroll to fall back on.

Regardless of what you say about Bill, he is operating within the parameters of the law. He has a right to pick anyone he chooses to to be his council aide. As to patronage, this is long time honored tradition in this country, and was not invented by Mayor Healy or his administration. Even President Obama has patronage jobs to pass out, wow imagine that. Furthermore I don't think personal attacks on ones family is a proper way to use this board. Just my thoughts

"Bill"'s daughter becoming head of the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority,a major City agency responsible for millions of dollars and our city's health without a detailed and involved competitive process to choose the most qualified candidate is reprehensible.Furthermore your dismissive attitude toward patronage as if it is somehow acceptable is very disturbing.It may be a tradition but it is far from honorable.There is operating within the parameters of the law and then there is also operating within the parameters of ethics----you remember that word----or maybe not judging from your post.If you are representative of the attitude of the Healy administration, and I think you are, then we as a community need to exercise our right to make a change in that government.
Just my thoughts.

Posted on: 2009/2/26 5:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Bottom line is that we have problems up the heights we did not have years ago. I'm born and raised in Jersey City, been there 48 years. We did not have gangs, drugs being sold (right on Central Ave in broad day light) crime problems that we have today. Gaughan has been in office 16 years and yes has done some good things, but the fact of the matter it the heights, which was one of best places to live has gone down hill while he has been in office. When he was first elected there were much better stores, no we have a bunch of shit 99 cent stores on Central Ave. The streets are dirty, we see hardly any policing. The senior citizens can't go for a walk and sit on a bench up there and this is just during the day. In the evening, especially in the warm weather it's like they open the cages to the zoo and many of the undesirables run rampant. Since we are not getting adequate policing, perhaps Gaughan should walk the streets up their at night, if he is even in Jersey City instead of being down the shore. And like Healy says Change we can see.....yeah in the wrong direction. They need to be held accountable, they wanted to be elected and were, well doing a great job comes with the territory. They have failed!

Posted on: 2009/2/24 21:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/4 10:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JRL wrote:
Must be nice to have your father provide you a job since her florist business did not work out. We should all be so lucky to have the city payroll to fall back on.

Regardless of what you say about Bill, he is operating within the parameters of the law. He has a right to pick anyone he chooses to to be his council aide. As to patronage, this is long time honored tradition in this country, and was not invented by Mayor Healy or his administration. Even President Obama has patronage jobs to pass out, wow imagine that. Furthermore I don't think personal attacks on ones family is a proper way to use this board. Just my thoughts

Posted on: 2009/2/24 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/2/24 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

johnnybravo wrote:
No reason this can't be fun. If that attachment is actually the regulator!! She has my vote..And Jimmy is my BROTHER!!!

Oh no you didn't.... Mrs Bravo has me to watch over you!
So Jimmy is your bro. huh? Tell him regards from peeps!

Posted on: 2009/2/24 4:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/21 9:56
Group:
Registered Users
No reason this can't be fun. If that attachment is actually the regulator!! She has my vote..And Jimmy is my BROTHER!!!

Posted on: 2009/2/24 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well given Gaughan is out of touch with what is going on in his ward, how can he be expected to know how to use technology. The comment he made about only yuppies use email shows how ignorant he is.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JRL wrote:
I agree mrrogers...16 years is enough, vote Gaughan out, he is out of touch. He once was questioned about why he does not respond emails. His response, email is for yuppies...Like I said he is out of touch..

This is No City for Old Men....maybe the sequel, No country for old men can be shot in Jersey City.

Thats interesting seeing the Fulop sends and responds to e-mail. Shouldn't it be if one council person practices then all should as well ? After all we send out tax checks to 280 Grove.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

regulator wrote:
most of the positions on the boards are appointed by the mayor. any councilperson can also nominate you, and the mayor will ultimately decide on who sits or not. based on what ive heard, almost anyone who is nominated by a councilperson gets appointed.

you say she is not qualified - what qualifications exactly is she lacking? is she not college educated? (although one could argue that even that may not necessarily be a requirement). does she lack an MBA? or is it just automatically suspicious since she's the daughter of a councilperson?

Whatever the technical requirements are, there are "common sense" and "good government" requirements. Like that the chair of a corporate entity of the size and budget of the MUA to have a resume in managing large organizations that would lead one to believe they are capable of understanding the scope and issues of such a large entity. This is the usual standard of publicly held corporation boards. What we have is nepotism and vote selling by a councilman to get his unsuccessful daughter a steady paycheck from the JC taxpayers.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree mrrogers...16 years is enough, vote Gaughan out, he is out of touch. He once was questioned about why he does not respond emails. His response, email is for yuppies...Like I said he is out of touch..

This is No City for Old Men....maybe the sequel, No country for old men can be shot in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ross_Ewage wrote:
Quote:

regulator wrote:
good thing jclist represents the vast majority of people in jc. at this rate, gaughan will lose in a landslide

when DID the heights become part of downtown, anyway?

The Heights is welcomed on this website as well as other sections of J.C. I guess it started out as Downtown JCLIST but morphed into a full acceptance of the rest of the city. And why not there is a lot of good input from all that contribute their ideas. Also even though we only cast 5 votes in municipal elections on a slate of 10 including the mayor all 10 candidates elected affect everyone in Jersey City not specific to any one section. Another words the at-large city council members and individual ward council members (all 9) vote on issues and influence hiring outside of their ward affecting all of Jersey City. Censoring would only stifle some interesting ingredients in keeping our city on their toes.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 11:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
quote]
regulator wrote:
most of the positions on the boards are appointed by the mayor. any councilperson can also nominate you, and the mayor will ultimately decide on who sits or not. based on what ive heard, almost anyone who is nominated by a councilperson gets appointed.

you say she is not qualified - what qualifications exactly is she lacking? is she not college educated? (although one could argue that even that may not necessarily be a requirement). does she lack an MBA? or is it just automatically suspicious since she's the daughter of a councilperson?[/quote]

I can only comment on your first paragraph as I am not aware of the answers to your second paragraph.

Thank you for the information.There has to be a better way to do this if your information is accurate.If accurate then that would mean that Mayor healy appointed the daughter
of a councilman.It may also mean that either Mayor Healy straight out appointed her without a nomination or that she was nominated by a councilperson and then appointed by the mayor.If she was nominated by a councilperson then the question comes to mind ,which council person nominated her and why?What was the decision process
if there was a nomination by a council person or even if just an appointment by the mayor?Who were the other candidates for this position who were considered and what were their qualifications as compared to the councilman's daughter?Did the councilman's daughter's qualification's exceed those of the other candidates if any?Is the chairperson the top spot on the Board of Commissioners and if so did she assume this position immediately upon joining the Board or did she work her way up to the top?

No,it is not automatically suspicious because she is the daughter of a councilperson.It only becomes suspicious depending on the answers to these questions.

How about some type of testing or application process for such a critical job.There has got to be a better way to fill such a important position.

Please anyone feel free to respond as I hope for a honest and open dialogue on this subject. Suggestions on how to improve the selection process are welcome.

If we are to face a quarter property tax increase of 28 Percent I would like some answers!

Posted on: 2009/2/21 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
it hasn't. people discuss all jc-related things on this board. there's even a section for things not related to jersey city.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 1:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
good thing jclist represents the vast majority of people in jc. at this rate, gaughan will lose in a landslide

when DID the heights become part of downtown, anyway?

Posted on: 2009/2/14 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
i'm all for voting a person out of office / getting someone new in there, if the reasons are worthy. for example, if gaughan let the heights deteriorate over 16 years (it hasn't), or if crime were out of control (it's not), or if he has proven inept or has not displayed servitude to others, then i'd consider voting him out.

but so far, the only reasons posted on the thread are that he has family members on the city payroll, and several trolls posting things about the heights which are obviously not true.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Gaughan has at least Four family Members on the County or City payroll.Two county or City Cars with Gas plus he has an exclusive
contract to bury any homeless person in Hudson County thru his Funeral Home.Sixteen years is enough for any one council person.
VOTE JIM CARROLL.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

you say she is not qualified - what qualifications exactly is she lacking? is she not college educated? (although one could argue that even that may not necessarily be a requirement). does she lack an MBA? or is it just automatically suspicious since she's the daughter of a councilperson?

Posted on: 2009/2/13 18:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
All I need to know about Gaughan is he had his daughter appointed Chairwoman of the Board of the JCMUA, with no qualifications whatsoever to do the task, which is critical to this city. How can he possibly care about JC?

I have to apologize for doubting you!When I read your post at first I found that hard to believe.Then I went to the JCMUA website and found that the Chairperson was the councilman's daughter.Does anyone have information on what the hiring process entails for such a leadership position?Are there certain educational requirements for the position?Is the position decided on by a vote or is it a appointment? Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Obviously majority wins so if you want him out or continue on hope for the best and vote if that's what you want.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
All I need to know about Gaughan is he had his daughter appointed Chairwoman of the Board of the JCMUA, with no qualifications whatsoever to do the task, which is critical to this city. How can he possibly care about JC?

Posted on: 2009/2/13 18:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/4 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
Regardless Gaughan has done nothing to attempt to change things. Out with Gaughan, let's give Carroll a chance.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 5:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
For the sake of balance ? I?d like to chime in here. I?ve gotten to know Bill Gaughan over the past few years. I?ve found him to be knowledgeable, responsive, and supportive. Whenever I have asked him for any support, his answer has always been yes ? and he has always followed through on his promises. Yes, he is a supporter of our theater company and perhaps I am biased because of that. But I attend a lot of events in Jersey City ? getting our name out there, meeting people, etc. And I don?t think I?ve ever attended an event that he has not been at. He seems to be everywhere. Talking to people, listening ? trying to figure out ways to help. He is a successful business owner and a caring man who cares a great deal about his community and who is devoted a great deal of his life to making it better.

I?ll add this one story to illustrate my point. Last summer our theater company was invited to perform a play outdoors at Frank Sinatra Park in Hoboken. Bill came to see the show. At the end of the play it began to rain and after we bowed ? all of the actors began to scramble to get the costumes, sets, and props up to the road to waiting trucks so that everything wasn?t ruined by the weather. In the midst of this chaos I look over and Bill Gaughan ? who is what?70 years old?has slung a huge set piece over his shoulder and hauling it up the steep steps. No one asked him to, he just saw what needed to be done and he jumped in and did it.

I am a home owner and business owner in Jersey City. I understand the concerns expressed here and I honor those who want to voice an opinion. But I also want to speak up and express my own experience with someone I?ve found to be working for a better Jersey City.

Clay Cockrell
Executive Producer
J CITY Theater
www.jcity.org

Posted on: 2009/2/11 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
im pretty sure there were gangs 15 years ago, and crime, which was my point. and the fact that there are a ton of 99 cents stores is gaughan's fault how? jsq probably used to have alot of nice stores as well (or so im told), and now youve got the cheapo stores. it's not a coincidence that the stores moved around the time newport opened - why arent you blaming gaughan for newport then?

crime has been an issue around here for awhile, but some hot areas (like franklin and palisade) have been toned down thanks to efforts by many. your posts make it sound as if the heights is a land of lawlessness, which any non muppet / troll can see is absurd.

yes the heights may not be the same as it was in the 30's (or whenever you guys were growing up), but to say it's deteriorated to the point of no return in the past 15 years is not accurate in my opinion

Posted on: 2009/2/11 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am not affiliated politically, I'm just stating facts and that as citizens we have the right to hold the politicians accountable. When an area such as the Heights was one of the best place to live and never had gangs, drugs and a crime problem..then we have to look at who is accountable and if they are not doing a good job we need to fire them. It's no difference that the line of work I'm, when my Account Mangers don't do a good job for a clients, we must Fire them and replace them with someone that ill do a great job and keep my clients happy and provide them a great experience.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
am i missing something? the central ave (and adjacent streets, like palisade) have gotten 100% better since the time i was growing up (so roughly 15 years, which is the same timeframe as the OP was referring to). was this a serious post, or another tongue-in-cheek typical jclist post?

Getting better ?? They're worse just a bunch a 99cent stores. Years ago we had quality stores where if you bought something you bought it once not a thousand times over because it was made cheap. I only buy food on Central, preferably American or Italian the rest are questionable.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hudsonhorizons wrote:
Quote:

regulator wrote:
am i missing something? the central ave (and adjacent streets, like palisade) have gotten 100% better since the time i was growing up (so roughly 15 years, which is the same timeframe as the OP was referring to). was this a serious post, or another tongue-in-cheek typical jclist post?

Election season is picking up full-swing. May will be here before you know it. Yawn.

Agreed. If you pay attention to quite a few recent posts you will notice a tone that sounds much like a political campaign.

Good thing is that you can ignore the posts if you dont want to be bothered.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I now hope regulator can see they are missing something.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Well I can assure you there were no drugs or gangs up on Central Ave, 15 years ago.

I lol'd.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JRL wrote:
Well I can assure you there were no drugs or gangs up on Central Ave, 15 years ago. Just this summer while driving down Central Evening around 9PM, there was this group of kids harassing people on the Ave, along with stores, in fact as I stopped in Dunkin Doughnuts the lady behind the counter told me she was locking the door after me as she was in fear and mentioned that this happens a lot in the evenings. As you drive by Washington Park, you see drugs being dealt. I stopped into the North District Police Station as I made my way home and they mentioned the natives are restless tonight and mentioned during the warm weather at times these groups of kids are uncontrollable. I have been in Jersey City 48 years and can tell you the Heights use to be the best place to live and did not have such problems.

JRL, I guess than you remember how awesome it was to grow up in the Heights and all the wonderful stores of class, like Rosens, the 2 furriers,Kings furniture,Silvers, Cheap sams, etc, etc.

It trully has become a Dump for lack of a better description,and yes I agree we can all thank the Politicians that cowtailed to those who could care less about quality of life issues, and those who come from a background where Community, Education and Social well being means nothing.

The Damage has been done, and it will take not years but decades to change, but it needs to start Now!

Good luck with your intentions.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well I can assure you there were no drugs or gangs up on Central Ave, 15 years ago. Just this summer while driving down Central Evening around 9PM, there was this group of kids harassing people on the Ave, along with stores, in fact as I stopped in Dunkin Doughnuts the lady behind the counter told me she was locking the door after me as she was in fear and mentioned that this happens a lot in the evenings. As you drive by Washington Park, you see drugs being dealt. I stopped into the North District Police Station as I made my way home and they mentioned the natives are restless tonight and mentioned during the warm weather at times these groups of kids are uncontrollable. I have been in Jersey City 48 years and can tell you the Heights use to be the best place to live and did not have such problems.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 19:22

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017