Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Society Hill Jersey City
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/28 0:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
An earlier poster mentioned some that had cinder block divisions between some of the townhomes.

I watched the earlier phases being built and saw NO masonry between any units, townhomes included, not to say that later additional townhomes don't have them.

But what I saw scared the bejesus out of me. A HUGE complex completely "stick built" Apartment connected to apartment in blocks of a dozen or so and adjacent to many many more. A windy fire would be DEVASTATING. I cannot imagine that these apartment can possibly conform to any sensible fire code.
Did they save a few pennies by using wooden 2 x 4's instead of the much safer steel studding.
I am AMAZED they haven't had a serious multi-unit fire yet.

A free standing house stick-built, okay, you try to be careful with fire (and avoid termites) but to build huge multifamily complex out of wood and drywall seems NUTS, any one of 3 dozen morons can accidentally or stupidly torch the place.
(And cute brick facing on some areas merely hides the wooden crap underneath...bible called it a "whitened sepulchre.")

I think anyone who watched the place being built would think thrice about living, much less buying there.

An apartment burned at Newport last week, but thanks to a concrete floor, concrete ceiling and steel studs behind the drywall, only one apartment was seriously damaged. THAT should be the standard for multifamily living in newer construction. After all, Newport is even older than Society Hill.

out of curiosity, aren't most townhouses built like that with wood frames and platform construction? where can i find concrete or brick townhouses in northern jersey for a reasonable price?

Posted on: 2013/6/4 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
An earlier poster mentioned some that had cinder block divisions between some of the townhomes.

I watched the earlier phases being built and saw NO masonry between any units, townhomes included, not to say that later additional townhomes don't have them.

But what I saw scared the bejesus out of me. A HUGE complex completely "stick built" Apartment connected to apartment in blocks of a dozen or so and adjacent to many many more. A windy fire would be DEVASTATING. I cannot imagine that these apartment can possibly conform to any sensible fire code.
Did they save a few pennies by using wooden 2 x 4's instead of the much safer steel studding.
I am AMAZED they haven't had a serious multi-unit fire yet.

A free standing house stick-built, okay, you try to be careful with fire (and avoid termites) but to build huge multifamily complex out of wood and drywall seems NUTS, any one of 3 dozen morons can accidentally or stupidly torch the place.
(And cute brick facing on some areas merely hides the wooden crap underneath...bible called it a "whitened sepulchre.")

I think anyone who watched the place being built would think thrice about living, much less buying there.

An apartment burned at Newport last week, but thanks to a concrete floor, concrete ceiling and steel studs behind the drywall, only one apartment was seriously damaged. THAT should be the standard for multifamily living in newer construction. After all, Newport is even older than Society Hill.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 13:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/3 4:20
Group:
Registered Users
FYI: The Society Hill/Droyer's Point Community is divided into 3 seperate communities. Society Hill 1- maintenance fee is $190 a month. Society Hill 2- maintenance fee is approximately $234 a month and Droyer's Point maintenance fee is approximately $254 a month. Depending on the size and proximity to the waterfront, you can find a garden apartment from the low 200's. A 2 bedroom duplex is anywhere from mid to upper 200-340k. A 2-3 bedroom townhome is about high 300's to low 400's. A one family townhome in Droyer's Point is about high 300's to high $400's because they're newer. All units have parking included, townhomes have garages. Rents depend on the size, anywhere from $1400-2600. Recently looked into moving there.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
From what I could find it looks like a a sample 2 bedroom, 2 bath "garden home, i.e., not town house" goes for around $300K with maintenance and taxes of $800/mo. I presume you pay your own HVAC, hot water and electricity.

Rentals for these seem in the $1800-$2000 range.

Rough check so YMMV.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I did a full energy audit on a Society Hill condo last year (the owner had very high utility bills). The HVAC ducts leaked like a sieve and the walls were extremely prone to drafts. The unit tested worse than some 100+ year old homes that I have done audits on.

The problems can be addressed, but it means some major construction work to fix.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
( I posted this a while ago when there was a ?discussion? about luxury properties in JC. Of course SH was s*** on by the DTJC crowd I guess it reminds them all too much of the suburban life that mommy and daddy provided. Funny I am a JC lifer all of my friends and their family?s moved out of ?nasty? JC to the burbs years ago. It is so nice to now see every one of my friend?s kids coming back to ?nasty? JC to buy or rent. If they knew that their parents and grandparents let their JC properties go for next nothing they would s*** themselves! Especially the friends who sold their DTJC 4 story brick row houses for 40K.

To the comment about SH and PL being isolated:

From what I remember PL is isolated. I have been to The Point a few times for dinner and saw only a few small stores inside PL?s walls. I would guess you would need a car to get to anything good. Funny I could shoot myself, years ago when the PL project went bankrupt they couldn?t give away the condo?s. I think they were selling the remaining condos for around 50K. (that?s 5-0 not 5-0-0)

SH is a totally different story it is not isolated in the least bit. Everything you need is right there. You can walk to any number of these fine establishments. (can you walk to any retail in DTJC, is there any retail that lasts more than a few month?s in DTJC?).

Stadium Plaza - Pathmark, Stadium Pizza (the best pizza in JC), K-Mart (the coffee in the K-Mart Caf? outshines Starbucks Crap-o-chino any day of the week!), Ruby Dollar Store, National Wholesale Warehouse, Pathmark Liquors, Pet Land, Nail Place, JC Diner, Wendy?s, Shoe repair, Dry cleaners. (a lot of SH?ers skip Pathmark and food shop in the Bayonne South Cove Mall?s Stop & and Shop a few miles away)

Danforth Plaza - Vinnie?s III Pizza, Wonder Bagel, Chinese Fun Buffet(gotta love the name), Rite Aid, Laundry/Cleaners, Subway, PNC Bank, Hair Place.

Bayonne City Line - Mickey D?s, Dunkin Donuts, Walgreens, Banks, Car Rental, DMV, Domino?s, Meat City (don?t ask).

Up the hill on Danforth ? Jule?s (great Italian food), Old man snot bar?s, Florist, Bakeries.

Across the highway you have Home Depot and Raymore and Flannigan.

If you are fit enough (they just put in a new side walk along rt 440 from SH to Lowes)you can walk over to the Hudson Mall, Toys R Us, Movie Theater, Pizza Hut, Applebee?s, Lowes, R and S auto, 440 Farms, Party City, BK, and lets NOT forget POPEYES!!!!.

Sounds like SH is very ?pedestrian friendly" right hipsters? And sorry there are no bike shops or second hand stores in the area. (Hmm although K-Mart has a sweet bike section and National Wholesale has some nice discontinued stuff)

SH isolated I think NOT!! And if you think living in SH doesn?t give you that ?urban living experience??just go over to Pathmark on the first of the month. You will get enough ?urban living experience? to last you a life time.

More on SH?.
- 3 phases maybe 1450 units.
- Phase 1 nicest. Feels more open. Has cement block construction between units. There was a fire in one of the buildings back in Jan 2010. The fire was contained to just the one section of the building. Three units were damaged. The fire was on the second floor. The first floor unit suffered water damage. The 3rd floor unit smoke and some fire damage. The ?match stick? construction held up.
- Phase 2 most of the units have garages, streets are narrow, feels closed in.
- Phase 3 (Droyer?s Point) they are the expensive condo?s, really nice but not for $500K. I don?t need a $30K elevator I?ll take the stairs!! (Prince the Pimp lived in Phase 3, hmmm gotta look into the pimp?in life must pay well) This phase is the one that is having on going problems with fire sprinklers.

Chromium - Phase 1 didn?t have any contamination. Phase 2 had some but it was cleaned up and taken away. Phase 3 had the most contamination it was capped with a clay barrier. (hmmm)The big chromium dump is across the highway from Home Depot, that is where the old factories that produced it were located. They have been carting away the soil for years now. Also they just started the soil cleanup process on the property next to Home Depot. Both areas will be included in the new Bay Front project. (see below)

Don?t forget the people in SH know what their units were built on it was all documented in the purchase agreement. People in DTJC and other parts of JC don?t have a clue. (yes you are all clueless, especially the crew down in New Port, see what NP was built on) The yellow chromium waste from the factories on Rt 440 was given away free to contractors who used it as fill on construction projects. It is ALL over the city. Funny they also gave it to residents claiming it would make their vegetable gardens bug free..no DUH! I can just hear Billy Mays pitching the yellow powder now..Great for your gardens not only does it kill pests it will make your vegetables grow 5 times in size!! Amazing!! But wait! There?s more! (we miss you Billy)

To clear up the urban legend of people glowing in SH ..they don?t. The popular show Myth Busters did a piece on it once. They asked 100 SH residents if they would like to take part in an experiment. They took the 100 residents and herded them into a large empty factory. They turned off the lights and not one of the residents glowed. Adam and Jamie were quick to declare the myth about SH people glowing..FALSE!! (although Jamie did make them turn the lights on and off 3 times to be sure, he claimed Buster?s nose glowed) Would it really be all that bad if you glowed? Just think of all the money you would save on your PSE&G bills. Night light? I don?t need no stinking night light!)

Smell from across the bay ? There was a tallow rendering plant across the bay years ago. Look it up if you don?t know what it is? quite foul. (here?s a hint did you ever see those garbage trucks with pieces of meat and fat hanging off the back? Get stuck in traffic behind one of those beauties on a hot day..PU) On hot summer nights the smell was smelly to say the least. (?oh oh that smell?) The SH Assoc. gave all the residents the number of the EPA. Every time the residents ?smelled that smell? they called the number to log it. The place kept getting fined to the point where they I think went out of business or installed some kind of anti stink equipment. So sorry Pepe Le Pew.

Population Nice mix of people, friendly, young and old, retired and just starting out. Refreshing to see hot young hard bodies at the pools in the summer..err..oops never mind that part. A lot of cops, firemen, teachers, politicians, and other city/county workers.

Transportation Society Hill bus stop right outside the gates. 5 minutes to Westside light rail station, 20 minutes to Journal Square. Five minutes to Bayonne New Jersey Turnpike entrance by car. I think there are also private shuttles out of Phase 3. If you like you can also get rides off of the SH old timers who have nothing else to do besides their weekly AC trip. They would gladly give you a ride for free if you would just listen to one of their many ?stories?? maybe the bus is a better idea.

Noise What noise..if your neighbor is noisy you just rat on them to the SH Association and they get ?fixed? immediately. No year long Christmas displays or garden gnomes down in SH either!! Put a garden gnome out and the SH Assoc. will be all over your a** in a NY minute! Travelocity gnome don?t even think about it!

Schools/Sports Our Lady of Mercy grammar school across rt 440 in Country Village. Marist High School on the JC/Bayonne boarder. Country Village District 7 little league baseball. CYO flag football and basketball.

Garbage pickup there is none you bring your trash to the recycling center. There are shoots for paper, glass, and trash. You don?t have to deal with looking at people?s gross curd side trash while walking down the streets. No dirty diapers plastered to the street. No cat ripped open plastic bags displaying rice, coffee grinds, banana?s, tallow (did you look it up?) and God only knows what else. And no dam 2:00 am garbage truck noise!! Also no need to track down your trash can in the morning. I hear some people in JC actually have LoJack attached to their cans.

PS ? I will give you a hot tip. If you have some extra cash buy something by SH as an investment. (if you don?t want to live there then just rent it out) Check out the Master Plan for the area the project is called Bay front. It goes from SH down to the Hudson Mall. Hopefully some day it will get built.(I am banking on it!!)

Resized Image

More on Bay front (hey when it gets built SH won?t be so ?isolated? anymore.

http://www.bayfrontjerseycity.com/

Nice link showing life inside the gated, guarded, and moat'ed SH development?

http://www.society-hill.com/communityphotos.html

(units rent and sell fast in SH so hurry, someone must like it right?)

dude chill, i'm all for JC all over but you don't need to sell it. People will come.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 4:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/9 19:04
Group:
Registered Users
Just wanted to chime in on Society Hill/Droyers. My wife and I moved to Society Hill/Droyers about a year ago from NYC and really enjoy the community. Its a safe community, with alot of JCPD as residents(a plus for some I guess?). There are roving security gaurds in Droyers Point and any non resident coming into the community checks in with gate security. We usually take a jog after dark and see many others doing the same at all hours. Its a great mix of people which is always a good thing. I find the units to be well built, K-Hov(the builder) has a lot of properties in NJ/PA and usually does a good job in my opinion. While you do need a car there is ample shuttle bus service for commuters. In addition to public A/C Bus at Society Hill front gate there is one shuttle that runs directly from Society Hill to Canal Street in Manhattan(where all train lines are located) about 3 or 4 times every morning and evening(not sure about price). There is also a shuttle from Droyers Point/Society Hill back gate that goes to JSQ PATH. Again this runs 3 or 4 times a morning and evening with last bus from JSQ to Society Hill at around 8:15PM. Buying monthly passes for the JSQ shuttle comes out to about 3 dollars a trip. My wife and drive into Manhattan from Society Hill sometimes using local routes and usually get to the Holland Tunnel in about 15 minutes maybe 20 in rush hour. During off peak traffic using 1/9 Truck Route/440 to and from the Holland Tunnel can take as few as 10 minutes. From the Lincoln it is about a 20 minute drive with no traffic of course. Being a young couple that still go into the city to eat, party and shop we find it an easier trip both driving and train wise than many of the outer boroughs we have lived in.

If you are looking for the urban DTJC or Manhattan/Brooklyn style living experience where you can walk to every shop and restaurant Society Hill is probably not for you. But if you are looking for a change of pace from city living and a little more space or a more suburban style experience but still being close enough to the city, along with some great anemnities(pool, promenade, etc.) I would recommend it. As a young couple we find Society Hill a great value compared to other communities we searched in NJ. Future prospects of the Bayfront Development and a Light Rail Extension to Route 440 would also be a great plus for the community.

P.S. Stadium Pizza right next to K-Mart is pretty amazing

Posted on: 2010/9/28 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
( I posted this a while ago when there was a ?discussion? about luxury properties in JC. Of course SH was s*** on by the DTJC crowd I guess it reminds them all too much of the suburban life that mommy and daddy provided. Funny I am a JC lifer all of my friends and their family?s moved out of ?nasty? JC to the burbs years ago. It is so nice to now see every one of my friend?s kids coming back to ?nasty? JC to buy or rent. If they knew that their parents and grandparents let their JC properties go for next nothing they would s*** themselves! Especially the friends who sold their DTJC 4 story brick row houses for 40K.

To the comment about SH and PL being isolated:

From what I remember PL is isolated. I have been to The Point a few times for dinner and saw only a few small stores inside PL?s walls. I would guess you would need a car to get to anything good. Funny I could shoot myself, years ago when the PL project went bankrupt they couldn?t give away the condo?s. I think they were selling the remaining condos for around 50K. (that?s 5-0 not 5-0-0)

SH is a totally different story it is not isolated in the least bit. Everything you need is right there. You can walk to any number of these fine establishments. (can you walk to any retail in DTJC, is there any retail that lasts more than a few month?s in DTJC?).

Stadium Plaza - Pathmark, Stadium Pizza (the best pizza in JC), K-Mart (the coffee in the K-Mart Caf? outshines Starbucks Crap-o-chino any day of the week!), Ruby Dollar Store, National Wholesale Warehouse, Pathmark Liquors, Pet Land, Nail Place, JC Diner, Wendy?s, Shoe repair, Dry cleaners. (a lot of SH?ers skip Pathmark and food shop in the Bayonne South Cove Mall?s Stop & and Shop a few miles away)

Danforth Plaza - Vinnie?s III Pizza, Wonder Bagel, Chinese Fun Buffet(gotta love the name), Rite Aid, Laundry/Cleaners, Subway, PNC Bank, Hair Place.

Bayonne City Line - Mickey D?s, Dunkin Donuts, Walgreens, Banks, Car Rental, DMV, Domino?s, Meat City (don?t ask).

Up the hill on Danforth ? Jule?s (great Italian food), Old man snot bar?s, Florist, Bakeries.

Across the highway you have Home Depot and Raymore and Flannigan.

If you are fit enough (they just put in a new side walk along rt 440 from SH to Lowes)you can walk over to the Hudson Mall, Toys R Us, Movie Theater, Pizza Hut, Applebee?s, Lowes, R and S auto, 440 Farms, Party City, BK, and lets NOT forget POPEYES!!!!.

Sounds like SH is very ?pedestrian friendly" right hipsters? And sorry there are no bike shops or second hand stores in the area. (Hmm although K-Mart has a sweet bike section and National Wholesale has some nice discontinued stuff)

SH isolated I think NOT!! And if you think living in SH doesn?t give you that ?urban living experience??just go over to Pathmark on the first of the month. You will get enough ?urban living experience? to last you a life time.

More on SH?.
- 3 phases maybe 1450 units.
- Phase 1 nicest. Feels more open. Has cement block construction between units. There was a fire in one of the buildings back in Jan 2010. The fire was contained to just the one section of the building. Three units were damaged. The fire was on the second floor. The first floor unit suffered water damage. The 3rd floor unit smoke and some fire damage. The ?match stick? construction held up.
- Phase 2 most of the units have garages, streets are narrow, feels closed in.
- Phase 3 (Droyer?s Point) they are the expensive condo?s, really nice but not for $500K. I don?t need a $30K elevator I?ll take the stairs!! (Prince the Pimp lived in Phase 3, hmmm gotta look into the pimp?in life must pay well) This phase is the one that is having on going problems with fire sprinklers.

Chromium - Phase 1 didn?t have any contamination. Phase 2 had some but it was cleaned up and taken away. Phase 3 had the most contamination it was capped with a clay barrier. (hmmm)The big chromium dump is across the highway from Home Depot, that is where the old factories that produced it were located. They have been carting away the soil for years now. Also they just started the soil cleanup process on the property next to Home Depot. Both areas will be included in the new Bay Front project. (see below)

Don?t forget the people in SH know what their units were built on it was all documented in the purchase agreement. People in DTJC and other parts of JC don?t have a clue. (yes you are all clueless, especially the crew down in New Port, see what NP was built on) The yellow chromium waste from the factories on Rt 440 was given away free to contractors who used it as fill on construction projects. It is ALL over the city. Funny they also gave it to residents claiming it would make their vegetable gardens bug free..no DUH! I can just hear Billy Mays pitching the yellow powder now..Great for your gardens not only does it kill pests it will make your vegetables grow 5 times in size!! Amazing!! But wait! There?s more! (we miss you Billy)

To clear up the urban legend of people glowing in SH ..they don?t. The popular show Myth Busters did a piece on it once. They asked 100 SH residents if they would like to take part in an experiment. They took the 100 residents and herded them into a large empty factory. They turned off the lights and not one of the residents glowed. Adam and Jamie were quick to declare the myth about SH people glowing..FALSE!! (although Jamie did make them turn the lights on and off 3 times to be sure, he claimed Buster?s nose glowed) Would it really be all that bad if you glowed? Just think of all the money you would save on your PSE&G bills. Night light? I don?t need no stinking night light!)

Smell from across the bay ? There was a tallow rendering plant across the bay years ago. Look it up if you don?t know what it is? quite foul. (here?s a hint did you ever see those garbage trucks with pieces of meat and fat hanging off the back? Get stuck in traffic behind one of those beauties on a hot day..PU) On hot summer nights the smell was smelly to say the least. (?oh oh that smell?) The SH Assoc. gave all the residents the number of the EPA. Every time the residents ?smelled that smell? they called the number to log it. The place kept getting fined to the point where they I think went out of business or installed some kind of anti stink equipment. So sorry Pepe Le Pew.

Population Nice mix of people, friendly, young and old, retired and just starting out. Refreshing to see hot young hard bodies at the pools in the summer..err..oops never mind that part. A lot of cops, firemen, teachers, politicians, and other city/county workers.

Transportation Society Hill bus stop right outside the gates. 5 minutes to Westside light rail station, 20 minutes to Journal Square. Five minutes to Bayonne New Jersey Turnpike entrance by car. I think there are also private shuttles out of Phase 3. If you like you can also get rides off of the SH old timers who have nothing else to do besides their weekly AC trip. They would gladly give you a ride for free if you would just listen to one of their many ?stories?? maybe the bus is a better idea.

Noise What noise..if your neighbor is noisy you just rat on them to the SH Association and they get ?fixed? immediately. No year long Christmas displays or garden gnomes down in SH either!! Put a garden gnome out and the SH Assoc. will be all over your a** in a NY minute! Travelocity gnome don?t even think about it!

Schools/Sports Our Lady of Mercy grammar school across rt 440 in Country Village. Marist High School on the JC/Bayonne boarder. Country Village District 7 little league baseball. CYO flag football and basketball.

Garbage pickup there is none you bring your trash to the recycling center. There are shoots for paper, glass, and trash. You don?t have to deal with looking at people?s gross curd side trash while walking down the streets. No dirty diapers plastered to the street. No cat ripped open plastic bags displaying rice, coffee grinds, banana?s, tallow (did you look it up?) and God only knows what else. And no dam 2:00 am garbage truck noise!! Also no need to track down your trash can in the morning. I hear some people in JC actually have LoJack attached to their cans.

PS ? I will give you a hot tip. If you have some extra cash buy something by SH as an investment. (if you don?t want to live there then just rent it out) Check out the Master Plan for the area the project is called Bay front. It goes from SH down to the Hudson Mall. Hopefully some day it will get built.(I am banking on it!!)

Resized Image

More on Bay front (hey when it gets built SH won?t be so ?isolated? anymore.

http://www.bayfrontjerseycity.com/

Nice link showing life inside the gated, guarded, and moat'ed SH development?

http://www.society-hill.com/communityphotos.html

(units rent and sell fast in SH so hurry, someone must like it right?)

Posted on: 2010/9/28 17:29

Re: Society Hill
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I wouldn't consider it. It has all the disadvantages of the suburbs while having all the disadvantages of urban living.

It misses the advantages of both like good schools (suburbs) and urban living style (city.)

It's as isolated as you can get now that Port Liberte is within reach of the Light Rail.

The townhomes are nice though (apartments are cheesy and noisy) and if you are a homebody who doesn't need the tedium of getting in and out of Manhattan for everything, AND you get a good price, then maybe.
It's easy to buy your food at a nice Pathmark almost on-site.

But generally speaking, Downtown is probably your wiser choice.

(What are the Society Hill, Droyer's Point townhomes going for these days?)

Posted on: 2010/9/28 13:32

Re: Society Hill
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
You may get more helpful answers if you spell out what what attributes/features are important to you and what isnt important.

From my perspective it is a great place to live, but my needs may be very different than yours.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 22:18

Society Hill

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/3 4:20
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone tell me if Society Hill/Droyer's Point is a good place to live?

Posted on: 2010/9/27 20:32

Re: Society Hill Condos - Feedback request
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Let me add that it's atop the chomium dump and ADJACENT to a radium contaminated field that once housed a factory making those watches that glowed in the dark FOREVER. That's why they condemned the old Valley Fair and nothing was built for 20 years.
I don't think it has ever even been remediated...which usually means bury the wastes a little deeper or cover it with a tarp.

I watched Society Hill go up...it is really cheesy stick built junk. A noisy neighbor must be a NIGHTMARE. The floorplans of the townhouses are much nicer than the apartments though.

And I concur, there is no more sterile and isolated neighborhood in all Jersey City and even the ONE amenity of Jersey City, that is, Manhattan, is extremely inconvenient and really needs a car. If you want that kind of living, you;ll get better propery values in Sussex County.

Did they ever close that slaughterhouse/bacon rendering plant across the bay...the smell on hot Summer nights was beyond nauseating for YEARS?

Posted on: 2009/2/7 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Have you ever driven down route 440 in the summer? Do you know what Newark Bay smells like in summer? That is more than enough to turn me away.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 22:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/2 18:16
From West Bergen
Group:
Registered Users
Although I don't live in Society Hill, I am a lifetime resident of Jersey City, I have family and friends that live in each of the divisions and am looking for a property in SH.

Simplegal - Society Hill is a great subdivision. You're pretty safe considering the only things bordering you are the Newark Bay, Route 440 and a strip mall (Nearly no traffic in your community unless they live there or are visiting someone who lives there). It's comprised of 3 major sections;
> Society Hill 1 - condo's varying from 1 bedrooms to 3 bedrooms, some duplex some single floor gardens
> Society Hill 2 - townhouses varying from 2 to 3 bedrooms all with garages
> Droyer's Point - Newest phase (less than 5 years old). Townhouses varying from 2 to 3 bedrooms all with garages.

JadedJC is correct in mentioning the entire site is built ontop of an old chromium site, but that being said so is most of Jersey City (and Bayonne for that matter!). As it relates to Society Hill, here's a quick tid bit that mentions it http://www.njcu.edu/Programs/jchistor ... /S_Pages/Society_Hill.htm
Also, I would imagine the EPA would have stopped the project back in the 80's if it wasn't safe.

I'm not positive about the details of the bus stop. I do know that the shuttle definitely services Droyer's Point, not positive about SH1 or 2.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Well, if you don't mind living next to a very busy and noisy commercial strip and a chromium dump site (think Erin Brockovich), it's probably a good buy. Honestly, safety won't be your biggest concern out there - it's a gated community after all. Just google "Society Hill" and "chromium" and you'll find all sorts of hair-raising stuff.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 20:49

Society Hill Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/16 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know how good are society hills condo's ? Also, how safe is that area ?

http://www.society-hill.com/home.html

I do know tat the management provides shuttle services to journal square path station during peek hours. Apart from that, are there any njtransit bus services nearby?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/2/4 20:20

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/9/28 3:37:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017