Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New York Times: Apartment Hunters chose $1,850 small two bedroom - Downtown on Mercer Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

emdot wrote:
Cutting edge news, I am glad that an apartment search by a couple (so uncommon) made the NY Times.

it's a column called The Hunt. It runs every week. Ignunt.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 13:13

Re: New York Times: Apartment Hunters chose $1,850 small two bedroom - Downtown on Mercer Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Dear Mattias and Diane:

Welcome to Jersey City.

Love,

JCList

Posted on: 2009/1/7 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Diane's blue starfish necklace is fab!!

Want one for your special someone? Just buy it here from her! http://www.tiderdesign.com/

Oh god help her is she ever runs into PETA members, as soon as they see her they will give her a nice bloodbath!

Posted on: 2009/1/7 2:50
ಠ_ಠ

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
But now who is this Joey in the second group of photos? My gosh he and his girl look so terribly smug! I don't think I'd be friends with them at all.

The owners are smuggers, but the dog is definitely a cool little tike.

I mean .... just look at 'em.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
move to the suburbs - out in Hackensack

Actually, Maplewood is the hot suburban spot now.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
You only give the relationship another year? He's 34 - she's 30. They will probably marry and purchase a new hipster loft condo like mine!! They will live in it for 2 years and then have little babies and move to the suburbs - out in Hackensack - a nice bi-level perhaps. Whatever they do I wish them happiness! But now who is this Joey in the second group of photos? My gosh he and his girl look so terribly smug! I don't think I'd be friends with them at all.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 23:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes the starfish is turqouise - not blue. But I think he is the babe!!

Posted on: 2009/1/6 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
To answer JC Man's question,

No, they shouldn't buy together. I give their relationship another year, max.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 21:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/15 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Who cares about the apartment? All I know is that woman is a total babe. I mean in the first pic, with the turqouise starfish on her neck.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Diane's blue starfish necklace is fab!!

Posted on: 2009/1/6 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
We could put him on this site http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/
but his girl is really just average from what we can see in that photo.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Joey is such a D_I_C_K I've called him out before on his snide anti Jersey City remarks. I think we should do something to make an example of him. What do you think?
What can we do? Send nasty emails to Lockharte Steele the owner of curbed.com? Get this thread and anti Joey comments posted back on curbed?

He is such a little snot and I'm tired of his nasty comments. Every post on JC on curbed by him has a nasty comment. Every single one. This F_Tard is from the midwest and he moves to the city and starts busting on JC, he needs to get bent.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Joey, the smug little editor of www.curbed.com used this article to get yet another of one of his snobby anti-Jersey digs in.

"It's move-in-together time for this young couple, and as they sign a lease on a Jersey City rental, panic suddenly grips the Chelsea-abandoning female half of the pair: "What have I done, leaving the city probably forever? Once you leave the city, do you move back into it?" Moving to Jersey always makes people slip into an existential wormhole. "
http://curbed.com/archives/2009/01/05 ... hts_culture_wars_more.php

Joey from Curbed moved into a $3000 per month one bedroom apartment in the Robert Moses' "off the grid" suburban-esque nightmare called Stuyvesant Town - just in time to help push out older residents. Judging from his personal blog, he seems to spend much of his free time in Long Island - pretty much the same as inland North Jersey if you ask me.

Resized Image

Resized Image

By the way, he also got his own "HUNT" article in the New York Times.

Resized Image

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/realestate/29hunt.html?_r=1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thejoeyway/sets/72157604548378420/

Posted on: 2009/1/6 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Couldn't these two love birds at least BUY a condo and help the economy? If you're gonna co-habitate, help the rest of us!!

Posted on: 2009/1/6 15:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Cutting edge news, I am glad that an apartment search by a couple (so uncommon) made the NY Times.

Posted on: 2009/1/4 20:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/28 8:43
Group:
Banned
Quote:

The two met via Match.com two years ago

Posted on: 2009/1/4 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mercer1974 wrote:
I lived in this building for nearly 3 years. Unreliable heat and a shady absentee landlord who wasn't interested in fixing anything--he actually screamed at me on the phone for reporting the lack of heat (after 3 days of freezing temperatures) to the city. Hope it works out better for this couple!

Funny -- I guess that might help explain the good price.

It was also covered by Hoboken Now:
===========================
Leaving Hoboken for Jersey City -- and they're happy!

by Carly
Saturday January 03, 2009, 2:36 PM

Hoboken is again featured in "The Hunt" column in today's New York Times.

Mattias Johansson is a former Hoboken resident; he used to live in a studio at the Hudson Tea building -- to the tune of $2,650 a month. Johansson planned on leaving Hoboken for his girlfriend's apartment in Chelsea, but Jersey City seemed more attractive for two main reasons -- it's cheaper and there's more parking. The couple is trying to save to buy a home one day.

After grappling with some "Oh my god, I'm leaving Manhattan" anxieties, Johansson and his girlfriend, Diane Tider settled on a brownstone on Mercer Street, one of Jersey City's prettiest blocks.

And now instead of paying $2,600 for a two-bedroom in Chelsea, the couple pays $1,850 for a two-bedroom in downtown Jersey City. Which everyone calls the new Hoboken, anyway.

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ss ... boken_for_jersey_cit.html

Posted on: 2009/1/4 16:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 20:45
Group:
Registered Users
I lived in this building for nearly 3 years. Unreliable heat and a shady absentee landlord who wasn't interested in fixing anything--he actually screamed at me on the phone for reporting the lack of heat (after 3 days of freezing temperatures) to the city. Hope it works out better for this couple!

Posted on: 2009/1/4 15:16

New York Times: Apartment Hunters chose $1,850 small two bedroom - Downtown on Mercer Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Apartment Hunters Chart New Territory

By JOYCE COHEN
The New York Times
Published: January 2, 2009

THE plan didn?t include renting a new apartment. Rather, the idea was that Mattias Johansson would relinquish his pricey studio in Hoboken, N.J., and join his girlfriend, Diane Tider, in Chelsea.

Resized Image
CHARMING Mattias Johansson and Diane Tider moved into their new apartment in November.

Resized Image
NICE NEIGHBORHOOD A building on Mercer Street had an elegant feel and good bone structure.

?Moving to Diane?s place was the default position,? Mr. Johansson said. ?But then I started thinking of how much more money it would cost to live in New York rather than on the Jersey side.?

Before making a decision, the couple decided to spend a day apartment hunting in Jersey City. ?It was designed to be a look-around,? Ms. Tider said, ?just to see what was out there.?

The two met via Match.com two years ago, arranging their first encounter at the Guggenheim Museum. Ms. Tider was glad to find that her date was the cute guy she had spotted on the subway en route. Mr. Johansson, fussing with his MP3 player, hadn?t noticed her.

Ms. Tider, 30, a clinical research manager in the H.I.V. clinic at Mount Sinai Medical Center, lived in a two-bedroom walk-up on West 25th Street. She and a friend, Katie Fromm, who is also from Teaneck, N.J., moved there after they graduated from the University of Michigan in 2000. They added a wall and a third roommate. Over time, the rent rose to nearly $2,600 a month from around $2,100.

They enjoyed the neighborhood, but the building was old. Ms. Tider never had heat in her bedroom, a problem the building?s superintendent was unable to fix.

Mr. Johansson, 34, a native of Malmo, Sweden, and a graduate of Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, is a software consultant whose office is in Iselin, N.J. He was paying around $2,650 for a spacious studio in the Hudson Tea Building in Hoboken. Last fall, with both of Ms. Tider?s roommates planning to leave, the couple calculated how much their expenses would rise when Mr. Johansson moved in. The biggest additional cost would be for a parking spot for his car.

So they determined to ?look, just for looking?s sake,? in Jersey City, Ms. Tider said. Friends lived there, and it was more affordable than Hoboken.

If they had to pay more than $2,000 a month, they might as well stay in Chelsea, she said. ?I wanted it to be a significant enough savings to be worth uprooting ourselves and leaving the city,? she added, ?and we wanted to save money so we could eventually afford to buy something.?

They preferred a two-bedroom to accommodate Mr. Johansson?s assortment of furniture and Ms. Tider?s many tools for making metal and resin jewelry. (She calls her line Tider Design.)

The couple had high hopes for a $2,000 two-bedroom on Second Street after seeing a picture of the pretty bathroom. But nothing about the rest of the apartment measured up. ?I never considered myself someone who cared about the whole curbside-appeal end of things,? Ms. Tider said, ?but the building was wholly unattractive.?

A garden apartment on Mercer Street, for $1,950, wasn?t bad, but a shelving unit there ?chopped the space up in an unnecessary way,? Ms. Tider said.

Mr. Johansson added: ?I am not too keen on garden apartments. They can get damp quite easily. In the hallway, it smelled quite significantly like open earth.?

On First Street, they found another strange layout. An apartment for $1,800 had a bedroom separating the kitchen from the living room.

A place on Jersey Avenue, above the cookie shop Feed Your Soul, smelled great. But the $2,100 two-bedroom was on a noisy main corner. ?It was really loud,? Ms. Tider said. The agent told them it was loud because it was a Saturday, but ?Saturdays are the days we are going to be home,? she said. ?I thought that was disingenuous.?

It was late. ?We were going to go home without an apartment,? Ms. Tider said, which was fine. Maybe they would spend another day hunting in Jersey City, but at this point it seemed likely that Mr. Johansson would move into her apartment as planned.

They had one more appointment ? at a two-bedroom on another block of Mercer Street. Earlier in the day, they had found themselves walking down that block. It was so pretty, they took a photo.

This apartment, for $1,850, was ?so different from everything we had looked at,? Ms. Tider said. ?It is old and definitely shows its bumps and kinks, but at the same time it has a really nice bone structure and an elegant feel,? she said. ?If I owned this place, the first thing I would do is rip out the kitchen. There are so few cabinets, and they are small and too high up for me, but the whole thing was so charming and cute.? There was even a private roof deck, something ?we suddenly couldn?t live without.?

Posted on: 2009/1/4 5:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017