Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Made With Love - CLOSED
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know, one poster said the average household income in Downtown JC is $90k, which sounds about right. $90k as a household income might be low when compared to some Manhattan neighborhoods, but in the grand scheme of things it is pretty high, and would be considered at least "upper middle class" and possibly "well off".

Posted on: 2013/1/3 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

To the guy who said downtown isn't well-off enough, you are far off base. Downtown JC is about on par with Hoboken in terms of income ... don't measure the affluence of an area by looking at the scrabbly old men drinking on Newark Ave.

A really good product will sell in this neighborhood, even at a higher than average price point. I walk by Thirty Acres on the reg, and I have literally NEVER seen an empty table, unless it was late and they were closing.

Just because most of you professional newbies have crammed into the Hamilton Park area and VVP does not mean the area is jumping with well off people... Most of the folks a block away from this joint live in the section 8 housing along Christoper Columbus, Jersey Ave, and Wayne street.

Yes there are some well off folks down there, but not as many as you think. Most folks who live along Grand, Newport, PH don't even like walking through that part of town. This is why we get so many threads asking is this block safe etc...

I lived downtown for a long time and got to know the area well. I debated on opening a business down there myself. Two doors down from MWL, but after doing my homework, the type of business I wanted to open would not survive down there, so I decided to go to the LES to start it.

The majority of renters down there are mostly young, interns and not making big money yet. It will happen one day, but it has not happen yet.

There are more low income people in rent control apts down there than most like to admit and 9 bucks for an ice coffee and semi OK cookie wont fly. Especially when the folks who do make good money rarely support local business.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Kind of harsh, JamesBeard, I actually thought the name Made with Love was charming.

I am sad to see them go because as others have said they were active in the community, and I admired Celeste's story (I think she was an executive in the business world, or maybe fashion, and then decided to pursue something that she would really enjoy).

But an organic bakery with fairly pricey stuff is a pretty tough niche without a LOT of foot traffic. What were there cookies, like $3 for a small one?

To the guy who said downtown isn't well-off enough, you are far off base. Downtown JC is about on par with Hoboken in terms of income ... don't measure the affluence of an area by looking at the scrabbly old men drinking on Newark Ave.

A really good product will sell in this neighborhood, even at a higher than average price point. I walk by Thirty Acres on the reg, and I have literally NEVER seen an empty table, unless it was late and they were closing.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 21:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Don't blame Jersey City for this one. They failed because their food was just plain bad. I'd gladly pay high prices for quality baked goods, but make them with fat and sugar and salt, not love.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Not for nothing, but Jack's didn't close for poor business either. They were doing so well they decided to open in a bigger space and not renew their lease, then couldn't get a bigger space they liked and decided against renewing at the original spot after the landlord wanted to increase the rent.

Making a go of it as a small business owner is tough and it takes a lot of work. Lots of these places could probably stay in business, but whether or not it is worth the insane hours it takes has a lot to do with personality and love of what you are doing.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 20:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/21 0:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You'll be missed.
-m

Posted on: 2013/1/3 19:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Not to kick someone while they're down, but half their stuff was not organic, despite their advertisements to the contrary. I once went in the back for a kids cookie decorating event, and was shocked that all of the materials I saw (flour, butter, etc.), were not organic. The whole reasoning for the higher prices was the "organic" label...

That, and $4 for a crappy iced coffee just doesn't fly in this town.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Sad to see it go -- remember always eat with your feet -- stay local.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 16:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
It's true. I wanted to like MWL, but their stuff just wasn't very good, and if I'm going to eat dessert, it better be worthwhile!

The last time I went in there wasn't long ago - a late weekend afternoon, to get a coffee. I stood there waiting by the counter, watching the owner and two others talk in the kitchen. After 2-3 minutes, the owner came over and told me they were closed. Really? Then lock the door or put up a closed sign. Or if your business is hurting, sell me a coffee!

It is a bit of a bummer because they were very active in the community, but I'm excited to see what will replace them.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JustJames wrote:
As for Made With Love, yes it was expensive, yes the service was dire, the food on occasion was good, but the death knell had to have been charging a dollar to charge your phone during the hurricane.

Did they really charge people to recharge their phones? Wow. I went Cupcake Salon over on Grove. WiFi was free there and they didn't even require you to make a purchase to recharge your phone or use the WiFi (who can resist a cupcake, though?). Quite a few businesses had signs up after the storm inviting people to recharge their phones there, no purchase necessary. That's the sort of gesture that invites people to come back as regular customers.

Celeste is a lovely lady and her baked goods were delectable, but I agree with those who say her prices were simply too high. Her prices were higher than Manhattan bakeries even. A croissant was $4, and it was hard to justify paying that price when I could grab one in Manhattan at a number of places by the office for $2-$3.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 14:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/28 10:17
Group:
Registered Users
The Stockinette certainly did close through poor business. A coffee shop that doesn't open until 11 really doesn't strike me as viable.
As for Made With Love, yes it was expensive, yes the service was dire, the food on occasion was good, but the death knell had to have been charging a dollar to charge your phone during the hurricane.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. Also, I recall speaking to the owner of Stockinette when she decided to close. Not once did "poor business" or anything of the sort come up. What she told me was that she was looking forward to having Sunday brunch again. Having time off every now and then because they didn't have to spend 7 days a week running a business. Being envious of the 9-5 set for those very reasons.

I'm sad that a small, local business that took part in the community didn't make it, but I personally won't miss this particular one as I never went there because their product didn't appeal to me.
Quote:

Mouse wrote:
Quote:

fridakahlo wrote:
celeste was the hardest working woman in jersey city. jersey city is losing a jem. it's too bad that jersey city is too toxic for cute businesses (jack toys, stockinette and made with love).
too many haters.
sending loving, nurturing thoughts and energy to celeste and the staff of made with love.
xo

Please, get a clue. Haters had nothing to do with this. Five Dollar scones and generally over pricing everything was the reason I avoided the place.

Just was not a well-run business making it difficult for people to be "every day" customers.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 11:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fridakahlo wrote:
celeste was the hardest working woman in jersey city. jersey city is losing a jem. it's too bad that jersey city is too toxic for cute businesses (jack toys, stockinette and made with love).
too many haters.
sending loving, nurturing thoughts and energy to celeste and the staff of made with love.
xo

Please, get a clue. Haters had nothing to do with this. Five Dollar scones and generally over pricing everything was the reason I avoided the place.

Just was not a well-run business making it difficult for people to be "every day" customers.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 4:22
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/7 23:27
Group:
Registered Users
too many haters.
xo

Posted on: 2013/1/3 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I really wanted this to succeed, so we gave it several tries. We entertained using them for our wedding cake years ago, but she couldn't get herself organized, and we had to go with another bakery.

We've stopped in there/visited their farmer's market stand every few mos since they opened. At first, I could argue the quality warranted the costs. We like to eat organic as much as is feasible, so I respected what she was trying to do and sucked up the costs for a good cookie or scone every now and then.

But over the last year, quality really declined. Stuff started to taste old and stale. After 3-4 attempts, we stopped buying from them. I'm sorry they couldn't make it, but am excited to see what might come instead (please no pizza, Asian fusion, bodegas/delis, hair/nail salons :)

We need a good bakery downtown. I love Pecoraro's for some sausage bread and croissants, but if I want a good homemade pie or cookie, I think options are minimal (especially in the winter when the markets/food stands are not open).

Posted on: 2013/1/3 1:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/12 14:04
Group:
Registered Users
Prices were a major factor, even my friend who lives on the UWS gawked when a box of housewarming cookies cost her 30+ dollars. Two others were hours and service. The clientele she would appeal to go to work between 7and 9 am, hours she was rarely open. Neither was she open late consistently as a dinner option. As for sevice it once took me ove 10 minutes to be a chai. Lovely lady but looks like lack of business plan.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 0:51

Re: Made with Love Closes???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
They would have probably done better in Newport.

I doubt it just because you have a high income doesn't mean you're going to throw your money away. Everyone looks for quality and value for their money.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 0:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/9 8:04
Group:
Registered Users
Great apple pie!

Posted on: 2013/1/3 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Sad to see it go. She made a real go of it and was a great community presence. Unfortunately retail continues to be very difficult in JC. I'm not sure if the commercial lease pricing is too high or what but so many of the places I like end up breaking even or worse and ultimately closing.

THe last thing DTJC needs is more commercial vacancies or low end pizza joints/hair salons/dollar shops....

Posted on: 2013/1/3 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Glitterqueen is right. They were charging Manhattan prices. Someone(maybe on JCLIST) had said they made challah bread....but when i looked at their prices for baked goods....it was way too rich for me.

The search for a good priced challah bread in JC continues...

Posted on: 2013/1/2 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Fact is there are allot more poor, low income families than there are new yuppies down there. When you are not making much money cookies are the last thing on your shopping list.

You can not thrive when only a few residents are making good money, and most people who are making good money seem to get their goods across the Hudson.

This is why the bakery on Newark ave is still going because their prices are reasonable (fresh bread $2) and they still cater to the low income folks who live down there. Sorry to see them go, I sort of liked them. They would have probably done better in Newport.

For what it's worth, according to the census the median household income downtown is $90K.

In any case, it's a shame Made with Love closed. Celeste was always nice to me, and everything I got there was good. However, the prices were a bit on the high side which probably limited how often many people would shop there.

Yes if you factor in Newport, & PH... I am talking about the area where this shop was located for what its worth.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
The main problem with that place was their food was waaaay too expensive. Their coffee was expensive and it was terrible. I'm obsessed with cupcakes but I boycotted them after buying a cookie for like 5 bucks at groove on groove. Their baked goods were pretensious and meh. I live at dixon mills and refused to go there. That is what happens when you charge manhattan prices in jc bc it's "organic".

The coffee at ny bagel on Newark is really good and the owners are super nice. They have some yummy baked goods too.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Fact is there are allot more poor, low income families than there are new yuppies down there. When you are not making much money cookies are the last thing on your shopping list.

You can not thrive when only a few residents are making good money, and most people who are making good money seem to get their goods across the Hudson.

This is why the bakery on Newark ave is still going because their prices are reasonable (fresh bread $2) and they still cater to the low income folks who live down there. Sorry to see them go, I sort of liked them. They would have probably done better in Newport.

For what it's worth, according to the census the median household income downtown is $90K.

In any case, it's a shame Made with Love closed. Celeste was always nice to me, and everything I got there was good. However, the prices were a bit on the high side which probably limited how often many people would shop there.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 22:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
A combination of the owners r passive aggressive personality , high prices and limited foot traffic doomed MADE WITH LOVE.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately she had the same problem as a lot of business run by a single owner on a bit of a shoestring, she had inconsistent opening times.

I imagine having the Toy shop next door close didn't help either. Not to mention the recent proliferation of cupcake shops.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
She sent out a notice to her mailing list last week. I wish she had sent it sooner, I wasn't able to make it over one last time :(

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
How come we are hearing about this after the fact and not before? I didn't frequent the business but I would have visited one last time if I had known.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JaeTea wrote:
http://www.madewithloveorganics.com/Default.aspx

Quote:
To all of our customers, thank you so much for supporting us these past few years. We will be closing at the end of the year and we wish you a Happy New Year! Our last day of business is Dec. 31. Peace, Love & Cookies - Celeste!

This has become the norm for Downtown new businesses they cater to the new peeps and forget that the average person income living downtown is still 25k a year.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:24

Made with Love Closes???
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.madewithloveorganics.com/Default.aspx

Quote:
To all of our customers, thank you so much for supporting us these past few years. We will be closing at the end of the year and we wish you a Happy New Year! Our last day of business is Dec. 31. Peace, Love & Cookies - Celeste!

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:09

Re: Made With Love
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 0:29
Group:
Registered Users
The apple cheddar scones are to die for!

Posted on: 2011/2/26 0:07

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017