Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: [Grove and Bay Street] Parked car - hit and run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
The way this city works I would say you gotta have friends in the DMV or at an insurance company pull the address then have some other friends make a home visit to the perp and gain your justice the old fashioned way.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ryanone wrote:
plspaco, thanks for your reply, all your comments are valid...

agreed, it is a risk for parking in the street, but to take off like the driver did, imo - that's a bit slimey... but, there are slimey people in this world... there was more than one witness and the plate matched up with the make and model, and the address of a JC resident...

if sh!t hits the fan... there is a camera on the side of the precinct on Erie that faces the street... i've been trying to verify whether or not the tapes are archived and if they can be pulled... but i doubt the tapes would be pulled for this type of accident, but who knows...

Like I said "blame the victim".

Posted on: 2008/11/16 20:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/1 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
plspaco, thanks for your reply, all your comments are valid...

agreed, it is a risk for parking in the street, but to take off like the driver did, imo - that's a bit slimey... but, there are slimey people in this world... there was more than one witness and the plate matched up with the make and model, and the address of a JC resident...

if sh!t hits the fan... there is a camera on the side of the precinct on Erie that faces the street... i've been trying to verify whether or not the tapes are archived and if they can be pulled... but i doubt the tapes would be pulled for this type of accident, but who knows...

Posted on: 2008/11/16 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The cops at the 7th. Street station can be real clowns. A few years ago the punks who used to live next door to our building stole my upstairs neighbor's air conditioner. It appeared in their window within hours. When I went to the station to get some help in retrieving it etc. the desk cop mockingly asked who wanted to handle the "air conditioner caper". I immediately asked for 2 cops that we were familiar with and they busted the punks and got the AC back. Another time, after witnessing a car burglary, they wanted me to ID the perps face to face. One of them was from the neighborhood. They are often unprofessional and I have actually had to shush them having very loud conversations after midnight in front of the station. They drive like spoiled teenagers throughout the neighborhood and are experts at blaming the victim.

Posted on: 2008/11/16 20:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/29 16:11
Group:
Registered Users
1. you didn't witness the hit and run.
2. a third party gave you the plate that they thought they saw.
3. if that plate does NOT come back to the make and model of the vehicle that was described then apparently the third party person was incorrect.
4. or that plate didn't come back to any vehicle (old plate not registered in the system) how is anyone going to check for a vehicle and owner?
5. if that plate did come back registered in NJ was it in Jersey City so the officer can observe for a fact there are damages on the vehicle? because you dont want to issue summons to someone that is innocent right? hmmm..

that person then will bash the cops because they got issued a summons for no apparent reason.

there are many reasons why summons weren't issued. Dont blame the cop everytime something isn't done the "logical" way. the state of NJ requires all motor vehicle reports to be logged on that carbon copy sheet you observed. Jersey City guidelines are to wait 5 business days before a copy is available at 8 erie st; however, you can call your insurance company asap to start on the damages with the file number that was issued to you at the scene.

Sorry for your hit and run but unfortunately, thats the risk you take when you park on the street.

Posted on: 2008/11/16 19:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ryanone wrote:
agreed, any PD should have a good filing system in order to keep track of records sufficiently...

just a quick update, sorry to bore everyone w/ this incident, but I still can't believe how things aren't done correctly... so, i pick up a copy of my police report this week and notice that there weren't any tickets issued on the report... i call of the PD, get transferred around to different apartments in order to confirm that no tickets were issued... it's stated clearly on the police report that the 2nd driver (the driver that hit my car) fled the scene of the accident... you would think that she would be charged with a hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident, since it is clearly written on the report... but no, i had to go to JC Municipal court on Summit in order to file a complaint... you would figure the officer would've issued the report...

the lady i spoke to at the court was even surprised that the officer didn't issue a ticket...

I am so sorry that this is happening to you. The system sucks and now you (not the woman who hit you) has to do all the running around and calling. She has not been inconvienced at all, as well as the PD. Good luck with everything I hope they give her a hefty fine.

Posted on: 2008/11/16 19:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
agreed, any PD should have a good filing system in order to keep track of records sufficiently...

just a quick update, sorry to bore everyone w/ this incident, but I still can't believe how things aren't done correctly... so, i pick up a copy of my police report this week and notice that there weren't any tickets issued on the report... i call of the PD, get transferred around to different apartments in order to confirm that no tickets were issued... it's stated clearly on the police report that the 2nd driver (the driver that hit my car) fled the scene of the accident... you would think that she would be charged with a hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident, since it is clearly written on the report... but no, i had to go to JC Municipal court on Summit in order to file a complaint... you would figure the officer would've issued the report...

the lady i spoke to at the court was even surprised that the officer didn't issue a ticket...

Posted on: 2008/11/16 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
So sorry to hear about your car.

It really feels like when we become victim's in society we really learn how badly our tax dollars are spread and how ancient our systems are. We can go around assuming we are protected but when incidents like this occur (and thankfully you weren't hurt) we learn all the backwards ways things are done and the way government's apathy happens. We could say this for anything from the parking authority, the Construction Board of Appeals, etc.

Why could they not have computers and efficient filing systems at police stations? When I walked in there to file a fraud case he scribbled information on a half ripped piece of paper while talking over my shoulder to other police walking in (social hello's). I called back several times to no return phone call and essentially dropped the case. (A contractor used the bottom numbers of a check we gave to pay his phone bill over the phone). My fault for not insisting, but they had a detective on it that never followed up with us once.

Anyways, I am so happy the JCPD is focussing more on crime but I hope they take a very serious look at the reputation JC has for terrible driver's. A pedestrian is going to get killed one of these days.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 14:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/16 19:10
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ryanone wrote:
wow, what nerve to charge for a 'copy'... it's interesting though because while i was talking to the police officer when he was filling out the police report, I asked him if I can get a copy... he mentioned that I would have to call in during the work week to get a copy... granted, the police report has to be filled out manually by the officer... you would think that the report would work like a receipt, 1. copy for the merchant/business (in this case for the police dept.) 2. another copy for the customer (in this case the one who files the police report)... all they would have to do is tear off the copy underneath the original... geezzz... ridiculous...

Come on, that is too easy. This is Jersey City we are talking about. If they could just tear the copy off, then some lovely Hudson County Government employee would not have a job.

We have talked about this before, but drivers are out of control in this city. I don't know why the speeding and recklessness bothers me more in Jersey City then it does when I am in NYC, but there really isn't any accountability. And I understand the police are swamped, but they really don't help the situation by minimizing these incidents. You shouldn't have to call and then be told to wait several days for a copy.

Sorry to hear about your car.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 22:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
wow, what nerve to charge for a 'copy'... it's interesting though because while i was talking to the police officer when he was filling out the police report, I asked him if I can get a copy... he mentioned that I would have to call in during the work week to get a copy... granted, the police report has to be filled out manually by the officer... you would think that the report would work like a receipt, 1. copy for the merchant/business (in this case for the police dept.) 2. another copy for the customer (in this case the one who files the police report)... all they would have to do is tear off the copy underneath the original... geezzz... ridiculous...

Posted on: 2008/11/10 21:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ryanone wrote:
all, thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated...

Quote:

jillianp wrote:
Also, you have to pay for the damn thing...

Are you referring to the police report, are you serious?

yes the police report
and yes I am serious

It is not alot of money (I think it was $.75/page) but it is the principle of it all. Someone hits my car drunk driving in the middle of the night, I wake to find my car inoperable, and I have to pay for the police report! Wow, could things get any better?

Posted on: 2008/11/10 20:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
all, thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated...

Quote:

jillianp wrote:
Also, you have to pay for the damn thing...

Are you referring to the police report, are you serious?

Posted on: 2008/11/10 20:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/6 2:06
Group:
Registered Users
My mom was hit in a hit and run (car was totaled) but she got the license plate. Turns out he didn't have insurance, and although it took close to a year, eventually something happened where his wages were garnished to pay back the deductible my mom paid, and the insurance company.

This was in PA however, so not sure if things work the same way in NJ. Best of luck. Car accidents always suck.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 19:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ryanone wrote:
indeed it is, already spent about an hour on the phone w/ my insurance company... they were able to match the license plate to the make/model of the car... i'm trying to push the JCPD on the driver information to see if I can verify if they have insurance... called JCPD today and was notified that it takes about 3-5 business days to process the police reports (I filed the report on Saturday)... lmao... I thought the lady was joking, but unfortunately she was serious... was told to call back on Thursday...

Something similar happened to me and it only took 2 business days to receive so we lucked out! Also, you have to pay for the damn thing...

Posted on: 2008/11/10 19:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Good luck finding this person. I really hope you do. This type of stuff infuriates me. My husband was a hit and run victim in Brooklyn last year. His car was totaled and he had to get stitches in his head. The guy didn't even slow down.

I don't know what is wrong with people these days. Zero accountability.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 19:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
indeed it is, already spent about an hour on the phone w/ my insurance company... they were able to match the license plate to the make/model of the car... i'm trying to push the JCPD on the driver information to see if I can verify if they have insurance... called JCPD today and was notified that it takes about 3-5 business days to process the police reports (I filed the report on Saturday)... lmao... I thought the lady was joking, but unfortunately she was serious... was told to call back on Thursday...

Posted on: 2008/11/10 18:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
This happened to me about a year ago. 2 nights before Thanksgiving, my back bumper got bashed in on Morris near Essex. No idea who did it. This kind of thing is so frustrating.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Same thing happened a few nights ago on Brunswick near Newark Avenue. Really bad car wreck!

Last year my car was totaled while parked on Brunswick.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 8:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brooklynboy, thanks for the reply... luckily one of our neighbors was able to jot down the license plate number... i'm going to call the precinct first thing tomorrow to follow up and see if they were able to pull any info...

Posted on: 2008/11/10 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
I live in the building across from the accident. My windows face the accident area. It happened so fast. I heard a crash and then your car alarm. Possibly the car in front. That car drove off so fast. Sorry for your car. I can not help because seeing how fast it was I never saw a driver or plate number.

Posted on: 2008/11/9 19:15

[Grove and Bay Street] Parked car - hit and run
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So, yesterday around 11:30AM, my car was hit while parked on the street (Bay Street between Grove and Erie (south side of the block, right on the side of the parking lot for la conga and la conguita)). Nobody was hurt (not that I know of, maybe the driver of the car that hit ours), but basically someone driving down the street crashed into the right back end of the car, so the bumper and brake light/turn signal assemble pretty much tore off. Our car got pushed into the car parked in front of ours, but no real damage to theirs. The car that hit our car drove off, but luckily our neighbors saw what happen and took down the license plate and description of the car. I was at the gym at the time, but when my fiance got home one of our neighbors was waiting for us and notified us about what happened. Our insurance adjuster should be coming to asset the damage early this week. What a great start to the weekend ;)

Why would one drive off? Maybe they panicked or maybe they didn't have insurance, argh...

Please be on a look out for a white Honda Accord with front end damage, supposedly was a female driver, I may post the license plate. Filled out a police report with the officer that arrived (about 10-15 minutes after the call was made).

Posted on: 2008/11/9 16:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017