Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Morning Murder at LSP Light Rail Station
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
lawsuits in the wake of a tragic death always seem to cheapen the life of the deceased.

this man was murdered by one assailant, who was quickly apprehended by passers-by. should they be sued for not preventing the attack? can the assailant sue them for taking him down too hard?

doling out blame to everyone remotely connected with this sad case will not bring the dead back to life. it will just prolong the grief.

as for what I'd say to the fatherless children. how about, "I'm really sorry your dad is gone. sometimes awful things happen."

Posted on: 2009/1/7 7:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MYBEAT wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I guess that if a loved one is murdered it's comparable to winning the lottery? Some lawsuits have merit but this one is a money grab. This was a horrible, random crime. No one is twisting peoples arms to use the Lightrail or park in "dangerous" areas. If their is evidence that this assailant was on the platform and threatening people and the NJ Rail people did nothing I could support a lawsuit. Otherwise this is just a nuisance suit to make up for the loss of a loved one?

Okay, put down yr crack pipe and get real..."Winning the lottery" how can you even think of making such a disgusting comment like that, not withstanding making it seem like this family are a bunch of ambulance chasers..

Why don't you sit in front of those children who are now fatherless and explain to them why they shouldn't at the very least be financially taken care of for their immense loss or better yet explain to these children and the widow why you feel that NJT should be let off the hook?

I don't know you and trust me, you must be one hell of a Miserable Lowlife !

So just sue everyone? Because there is someone to blame other than the actual assailant? If it isn't the assailants fault than why would you would worry that he is fed and clothed? He is obviously disturbed and won't even know where he is right? Or is he an animal? Make up your mind. It's either his fault or everybody elses. As far as the family goes I feel nothing but profound sorrow for them and I hope they never have to work a day in their lives. It is obvious though that they are represented by ambulance chasers and, yes, it looks awful. Nice try though.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I guess that if a loved one is murdered it's comparable to winning the lottery? Some lawsuits have merit but this one is a money grab. This was a horrible, random crime. No one is twisting peoples arms to use the Lightrail or park in "dangerous" areas. If their is evidence that this assailant was on the platform and threatening people and the NJ Rail people did nothing I could support a lawsuit. Otherwise this is just a nuisance suit to make up for the loss of a loved one?

Okay, put down yr crack pipe and get real..."Winning the lottery" how can you even think of making such a disgusting comment like that, not withstanding making it seem like this family are a bunch of ambulance chasers..

Why don't you sit in front of those children who are now fatherless and explain to them why they shouldn't at the very least be financially taken care of for their immense loss or better yet explain to these children and the widow why you feel that NJT should be let off the hook?

I don't know you and trust me, you must be one hell of a Miserable Lowlife !

Posted on: 2009/1/6 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Lets see now - CCTV camera's at every station, transit and ticket cops patrol the stations, light-rail carriages and car parks - parking is provided, but at a cost to the commuter. Therefore it would seem that the only interest NJ Transit pays any attention too is protecting their own assets and the collection of money.

I'm sorry, but I'm with the victims family, If I pay good money for the car park spot and a valid ticket for the light-rail, I expect NJ Transit to ensure a safe commute and some protect to my asset (being the car).

You can't invite commuters to use your service and wash your hands of all responsibility. If this station was deemed an unsafe area, NJ Transit should have invested in correcting that situation where it has control over - car park, station and the light-rail itself.

I would assume that a % of your ticket to ride and park would go towards NJ Transit's public liability insurance!

The victims lawyers should seek information if NJ Transit had contacted JC Cityhall about the high crime in that area for their commuters - if so, then the lawyers should sue the city of negligence or whatever the term is used also.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 21:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
I was wondering why NJ Transit was being sued also, it was not there fault and there was nothing that could of been done to prevent it. The victim was attacked suddenly by a unprovoked mentally ill man. There was even a quik response followed by an arrest afterward.

They've worked hard to convince people to go to a very dangerous area. Yet they don't secure the area, they don't even warn people that it is dangerous.

Since when does it become NJ Transits responsibility to post that an area is "dangerous." Does that mean every neighborhood bus stop and train station that is in a area with a crime should post, "Warning you are standing in a high crime area ride at own risk." That is unrealistic, besides there isn't that much violent crime at that stop. Check out the crime map there is very little violent crime near that stop. Most of the violence is near Pacific Ave in that area which is three four blocks away from there. Just type in 100 Monitor St and you will see there is very little violence around the station.
http://www.starledger.com/str/indexpage/crime/neighborhood.asp

Posted on: 2009/1/6 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/1/6 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Sue everyone society. How a mentally ill person stabbing a guy on a train platform somehow becomes the fault of NJ Transit I do not know.

How is it a "dangerous area"? The perp could have done what he did at Grove, at Exchange, in front of the White House.

People watch too much TV. Even in Super Tort New Jersey not everything has a civil cause of action.

I guess they should sue the people on the platform with him, as well as the maker of the knife.

They may squeeze a settlement out of NJT with a nuisance lawsuit & the attendant bad publicity, but if they went to court I think they'd prevail, barring a runaway jury.

I think it's more likely that NJT gets dropped from the suit. For reasons I do not completely remember, it's pro forma to name almost every single possible proximate entity in law suits. Any lawyers on the board? Something to do with screwing up your claim against who you really want to go after. The superfluous defendants get dropped somewhere before the process gets anywhere near brass tacks.

GWB

Posted on: 2009/1/6 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
I was wondering why NJ Transit was being sued also, it was not there fault and there was nothing that could of been done to prevent it. The victim was attacked suddenly by a unprovoked mentally ill man. There was even a quik response followed by an arrest afterward.

They've worked hard to convince people to go to a very dangerous area. Yet they don't secure the area, they don't even warn people that it is dangerous.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newlafayette wrote:
I don't quite see how they can sue NJ Transit, because where he was stabbed, as far as i can tell from reports, was not on the lot. Reports said he was getting out of his car on Johnston where he parked on the street (we don't have permit parking, so commuters often park on the streets in the neighborhood). Did i miss something about people reporting the man to the Transit police prior to the incident?

Posted on: 2009/1/6 19:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
I don't quite see how they can sue NJ Transit, because where he was stabbed, as far as i can tell from reports, was not on the lot. Reports said he was getting out of his car on Johnston where he parked on the street (we don't have permit parking, so commuters often park on the streets in the neighborhood). Did i miss something about people reporting the man to the Transit police prior to the incident?

Posted on: 2009/1/6 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MYBEAT wrote:
Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Connor_v._Donaldson

You can't force a mentally ill person to do anything unless they're a danger to themselves or others, or they can't care for themselves.

One of the places where freedom of the individual & the rights of society rub up against each other & chaff themselves raw.

Well maybe its time to change the law, since its very apparent that it aint working !

How many more people need to lose their life because some deranged maniac was allowed to roam the streets looking for Prey????

GWB

Please fix your post- it looks like your post is part of my post.

It's not a matter of just "change the law". You could pass some involuntary commitment type law through the legislature, which would immediately be challenged by the courts & likely be struck down at the state level. If it wasn't, it would go to the US Supreme Court and probably meet the same fate.

This happens from time to time, and of course 1 time is too many. I personally believe that mentally ill people are also ill served by the current law of the land.

But as I said, this is a flashpoint for individual rights vs. society. I am sure the halls of academia run blue & black with the buckets of ink spilled in law journals by bright-eyed young students. I am equally sure that social workers & medical students also spend alot of time & typing on the issue.

That's because it is so thorny, so contenious, so "flesh and blood". Do you slam some guy in the loony bin for.......well, ever, just because he "seems scary", even though he's not hurt a fly in his entire life? Or do you go the other way and let lunacy build on lunacy, allowing the abnormal behavior to reach a level where it has no where to go but into violence?

Most reasonable people of course will ask, "Isn't there a middle ground?" And of course there is. That part is easy to answer.

"Where is it?" is the harder one.

I'm not saying that in this particular case that mistakes weren't made- Obviously, OBVIOUSLY they were. Anyone who evaluated this guy and said he wasn't dangerous is provably wrong. Any judge that decided he shouldn't be committed obviously blew it. It's a pretty tough call, though- Throw a guy in jail, basically, against his will, stripping him of every right he has, even though he's broken no laws. Or don't, and live with the consequences if he actually does explode.

Horrible. For the family of the victim, even for the family of the perp, this is a disaster. In this particular case, it does seem a little wrong that the guy's FAMILY was saying, "listen, you gotta lock my kid up" and somehow the "authorities" thought they knew better.

GWB

Posted on: 2009/1/6 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:

You can't force a mentally ill person to do anything unless they're a danger to themselves or others, or they can't care for themselves.

One of the places where freedom of the individual & the rights of society rub up against each other & chaff themselves raw.

Well maybe its time to change the law, since its very apparent that it aint working !

How many more people need to lose their life because some deranged maniac was allowed to roam the streets looking for Prey????

GWB

Posted on: 2009/1/6 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

GWB

Posted on: 2009/1/6 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I hope the Widow sues NJT, JC, THE COUNTY, and anyone else who aided and abeded directly or indirectly this animal who took a father and husband away from his family and now gets to spend the rest of His lowlife existence being Fed, clothed and looked after.

The system that allows for this Sucks and its time that people open their eyes and do whatever it takes to avoid another innocent human being from losing their life for nothing!

I wish all the best and good luck to the family of the Deceased.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Tragic in every aspect - even the accused father should file a civil case against the State / City for not providing the care the father was desperately seeking for his son.
No winners here, just another example of how our health services and policy makers have failed everyone.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 12:20
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Mulling defense in slaying near Light Rail station

Tuesday, January 06, 2009
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A man charged with stabbing a commuter to death near the Liberty State Park Light Rail Station in September pleaded not guilty yesterday at his arraignment as his attorneys were given a deadline to announce if they plan a defense based on his mental health problems.

Elgin Louis Taylor Jr., 24, of Communipaw Avenue, wore the green garb of the Hudson County jail in Kearny and had his hands cuffed behind his back when he appeared at the hearing attended by the parents of the victim, Michael Fuccile 36, of Metuchen.

Taylor did not speak at the hearing other than to give his name and reply "Yes" when Superior Court Judge Kevin Callahan asked, "Mr. Taylor, you have been charged with murder, do you understand that?"

Fuccile was stabbed multiple times in the neck, back and head at 8:30 a.m. on Sept. 4 on his way to work at Merrill Lynch's compliance unit in Global Wealth Management at 101 Hudson St.

The father of three was rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead less than an hour later.

After the stabbing, Taylor ran east toward the Liberty Science Center but was chased by onlookers who pointed him out to Jersey City and NJ Transit police, officials said.

Officials said Fuccile's wife was still too distraught to attend yesterday's hearing but her attorney, Kenneth Javerbaum, of Springfield, said yesterday he has already filed notice of a civil suit to be filed against NJ Transit.

At the request of Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Sal Rozzi, Callahan set Jan. 29 for a hearing at which defense attorney Don Gardner is to announce a decision on whether or not he plans to pursue a defense of insanity or diminished capacity. If such a defense is pursued, prosecutors would be able to provide a rebuttal using their own experts.

A finding of insanity by the jury, or that Taylor could not distinguish right from wrong, would lead to a not guilty verdict and commitment to a treatment facility, officials said.

A jury could also find Taylor had a diminished capacity, or that he could not understand the repercussions of his actions. A finding of diminished capacity would give jurors the option of convicting Taylor on a reduced charge, such as aggravated manslaughter.

On the day of the murder, Taylor's father told The Jersey Journal his son was diagnosed with schizophrenia at the age of 16 and had episodes about every six months. Elgin Taylor Sr. said he had been trying for years to have his son committed until he got better.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 11:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
They auotmatically claim this guy is an EDP, emotionally disturbed person, well then put him where he can't hurt anyone ever again. I have a friend who used to work in a prison for people like that , it is in Trenton. It's called Anne Klien Forensic it's a jail for EDPs. They have real bars and real cells, and you don't get out until a doctor thinks you are fit for society, which from my understanding can be a very long time. It's not your tradition hospital that holds you for a few months and once they think you are going to continue to take your medicine they let you go. Of course you are behaved while you are in there you have to take the medicine they give you otherwise they don't let you out. In there you stay until a doctor thinks that you can walk amongst society without harming them.

Posted on: 2008/9/12 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
"NUT RANDOMLY KILLS MAN AT RAIL STATION

GrovePath, are these headlines yours or from the JJ?

Can newspapers use the word "nut"?...

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerse ... 20595911224720.xml&coll=3

Posted on: 2008/9/11 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
"Disturbed man fatally stabs Metuchen exec commuting to his Jersey City office"

"NUT RANDOMLY KILLS MAN AT RAIL STATION Shock at commuter's rush-hour slash death"

Top is the headline from the original article. Bottom is from today's article. GrovePath, are these headlines yours or from the JJ? Can newspapers use the word "nut"? Is that not un-PC. Can't they be sued but some Nuts Rights organization? Until a few years ago, the JC police would use November Uniform Tango on the radio when referring to a NUT. I always thought that was pretty funny. They stopped using it. Now they use DP for Disturbed Person.

Posted on: 2008/9/11 14:52

Light rail riders don't live in fear
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Light rail riders don't live in fear

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Though shocked by last Thursday's deadly violence, commuters at the Liberty State Park Hudson Bergen Light-Rail Station said they still feel safe.

"It's just a random act of violence and it's somebody who is mentally ill," Matt McMahon of Jersey City said Thursday night. "Jersey City really seems to be on top of things here, but what can you do?"

An Essex County commuter who identified herself as Kseniya P. said that prior to hearing about the stabbing death of Michael Fuccile, she'd "always felt safe before." As she walked to the nearby park and ride lot, she observed, "It's a pretty nice area."

A New York man who got off the Light Rail train just after 5 p.m. last Thursday remarked, "I've never felt threatened."

MICHAELANGELO CONTE

=================================================
NUT RANDOMLY KILLS MAN AT RAIL STATION Shock at commuter's rush-hour slash death

Thursday, September 11, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Metuchen man commuting to Merrill Lynch offices on the Jersey City waterfront was stabbed to death last Thursday morning at the Liberty State Park Light Rail Station in what authorities are calling a random act of violence by a mentally ill man.

"We are both shocked and saddened by the death today of one of our esteemed colleagues, Michael Fuccile, who was killed in a senseless attack this morning," Merrill Lynch spokesman Mark Herr said last Thursday about the father of three.

Fuccile, 36, was stabbed multiple times in the neck, back and head at 8:30 a.m. and rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 9:20 a.m., officials said.

Charged in the murder is Elgin Louis Taylor Jr., 24, of Communipaw Avenue in Jersey City, said Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio.

"To be true, he's a madman," said Taylor's neighbor, Joseph Hamilton.

Last Wednesday, Taylor jumped onto the roof of a car and kicked out all the windows, Hamilton said. The neighbor said he saw Taylor walk toward the Light Rail station Thursday morning and soon heard sirens.

"He's crazy and his father can't control him," Hamilton said. "He did everything he could."

DeFazio said the killing appeared to be a "a random act of violence" and there was no indication there was any dispute or demand for property.

"It does not appear that they interacted at all," DeFazio said.

About prosecuting Taylor, DeFazio said, "The fact that he may have mental health problems doesn't not necessarily mean he is legally insane."

After the stabbing, Taylor ran east toward Liberty Science Center but was chased by onlookers who pointed him out to Jersey City and NJ Transit police, said Jersey City spokesman Stan Eason.

Fucille was a director in Merrill Lynch's compliance unit in Global Wealth Management at 101 Hudson St. He joined the firm in 2000, Herr said.

NJ Transit spokeswoman Penny Bassett Hackett said the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail System is patrolled by NJ Transit police, augmented by Jersey City police. The commuter parking area at the Liberty Park Station is also monitored by a private security firm, she said.

"This is absolutely a tragedy, and our thoughts are with the family, but it appears this is a random act of violence that could, unfortunately, happen anywhere," said Hackett.

=====================

Posted on: 2008/9/11 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
9/11!!!

I listened to Rudy at the GOP convention. Didn't take him long to bring that up.

Posted on: 2008/9/7 7:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I agree with FAB. We'd have a PHENOMENAL system for the mentally ill. We need to pay social workers more. Too many of the good ones get burnt out. I don't blame them. Can you imagine having to deal with these issues on a daily basis?

Posted on: 2008/9/7 7:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
tankass wrote:

Quote:
If we could divert 5% of defence funding we would have the best mental health program in the world

but tankass, we can't do that because.......

THE TERRORISTS!

WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!

9/11!!!

WE HAVE TO PROTECT AMERRRRICA!

RELIGIOUS EXTREMISTS!!!

THEY GOT NUKES!!!

Posted on: 2008/9/7 7:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

swooshy wrote:
Just yesterday I heard Dick Cheney is ready to have a billion dollars sent to Georgia. NOT Georgia USA, but overseas What the hell is this???After the mess of Katrina which is STILL not cleaned up these guys take OUR money and give it away to foreign countries (and it remains to be seen if this aid actually trickles down to the people who might need it).

Unfortunately JC doesn't have an oil pipeline going through it or oil to drill for.

If we could divert 5% of defence funding we would have the best mental health program in the world

Posted on: 2008/9/6 22:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/16 16:24
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with you. A lot of the situation with the mentally ill is due to cuts at the state and federal level. This is NOT something that can be handled by an emergency room by local hospitals - they are already overburdened.

Just yesterday I heard Dick Cheney is ready to have a billion dollars sent to Georgia. NOT Georgia USA, but overseas What the hell is this???After the mess of Katrina which is STILL not cleaned up these guys take OUR money and give it away to foreign countries (and it remains to be seen if this aid actually trickles down to the people who might need it).

We need to elect people who will promote the interests of the citizens of THIS country. We have huge looming problems of healthcare, infrastructure decay, joblessness (if they say 6.1 you KNOW it is DOUBLE that). Mental healthcare is something that needs more support at the federal level, having patients wandering the streets, hoping they take their meds, expecting the familes (who are already stressed out with the situation) or social workers to keep track of them is setting EVERYONE up for failure.

Posted on: 2008/9/6 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
...i have no words.......

i have words.........what's new? it's Jersey City folks. same bullshit i read every week on this forum. every week there's atleast 1 sick F#$k who kills somebody/beats somebody/mugs some old man/robs a store.

there are no more "words" for these types of incidents anymore. every thread like this looks exactly the same:

"wow, i live so close to there....."

"i work right there......"

"I take that train....."

"We need more streetlights/surveillance cameras....."

"I walk that street every night on the way home from work...."

"I really liked that shop owner......"

and, of course, some death penalty discussion, followed up with how the city is failing to protect it's citizens.

i'd rather read a new pitbull thread.

Posted on: 2008/9/6 11:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
alb--

I hear ya.

And excuse me if it's been brought up before, but what about the people who'd visit and evaluate the mentally ill? I know FAB said we had THE BEST mental-health care in the country. I am MOST ASSURED he was being fasicious.

Jersey City Medical Center is NOT equipped to handle all the mentally ill (and closing the Greenville Hospital will only worsen the situation). Christ Hospital cannot handle the mentally ill.

THIS is NOT an uncommon story. The social-service sector is STRESSED to the MAX at any given time. The social workers simply cannot keep track of every patient that has been released. It's not possible without proper funding.

I remember a story, a decade or so ago, where a schizophrenic off his meds pushed a woman onto the subway tracks. OF COURSE I WAS HORRIFIED!! But if you had looked into his history, he had ASKED for help, but was turned away.

Of course, I'm NOT defending him, but he seeked help and was turned away because the system was waaaay toooo strained.

It sickens me that the gov't will gave JP Morgan Chase a "loan" to buy out BearSterns and now the gov't is willing to bail out (at tax-payer expense) Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

I understand the economy is at stake, but I really don't understand why it's less "socialist" for the gov't to take over two major mortgage giants.

I suppose we'll have to wait until some health insurance companies go under.

And feel free to dispute me. I never said I had the answers.

Posted on: 2008/9/6 10:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Kinda suprised this topic hasnt gotten more attention. I mean I realize theres not much to say in a sickening situation like this , but still usually you hear about two thugs goin at it and one dying but this was just an innocent person going to work.

Posted on: 2008/9/6 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PubliusIII wrote:
No, Alb, I don't think you are framing the issue correctly: the issue is not sanity and rights. the issue is dangerousness due to mental illness. ... As it is, the law will not allow any coercion to keep a this person on meds.

I'm for fixing that law, but I think you have to fix the law, not de-fund the public advocates. (Note: sometimes the formatting here confuses me. If I mixed something someone else wrote up with stuff you wrote, sorry.)

I think one great argument in favor of imposing tough laws is that, while we impose them, we'll also support a strong public defender/advocate program, so that, for example, my spouse can't put me in a mental hospital simply because I post to JCList too much and can't afford a good lawyer.

But, if I ever start wandering around muttering about wanting to kill that horrible John the Baptist if he comes into my brain with Mary Magdalene ever again, then I ought to have a good lawyer, but a judge ought to be able to turn to a law that lets him/her put me under close supervision.

Maybe one compromise would be to try to somehow make sure that the advocates who represent the allegedly mentally ill people don't have an ax to grind.

The advocates should have a built-in incentive to recommend that clients who really need to be supervised end up with supervision.

Example: if more than a certain number of an advocate's clients go on to commit violent crimes, or become the victim of violent crimes, as the result of a lack of supervision, the advocate could be fired, or punished in some other way.

If more than a certain percentage of the advocate's clients ended up living on the street, then the advocate could be penalized for that.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 20:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
No, Alb, I don't think you are framing the issue correctly: the issue is not sanity and rights. the issue is dangerousness due to mental illness. A person suffering from paranoid schizophrenia may not be dangerous while on medications, and may even be quite sane and productive. This same person may be dangerous off medications. As it is, the law will not allow any cooercion to keep a this person on meds. The law does not allow action until it is to late, e.g. the guy is brandishing a knife at passengers on the Light Rail, or is at least telling everyone that he is going to murder and that he has got a knife etc.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 15:59

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017