Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: new knitting cafe

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/31 16:48
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Very well said. I'm all for places like this that not only bring people with a common interest together but put them into a setting where they are naturally inclined to talk with one another.

Since moving into my own place and living alone for the first time, I am beginning to really appreciate meeting new people in the community. Maybe it's different for other but I'm not one to casually start talking with someone in line at the store or even at a normal coffee shop.

I think people that go to standard shops generally do so to read, write or bury themselves into their computers. All fine and good as I enjoy doing the same but it's really cool to have something like this that puts people in a position to naturally engage one another.

Posted on: 2008/9/16 21:57
Draw & Quarter - Engaging Jersey City Draw & Quarter

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/9 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
if caps is right and the lease is $2,500 that is pretty rotten. there are so many vacant spaces in JC that would be so much better off with tenants that offer different services (more restaurants for one or specialty food shops or addtl retail boutiques), but the landlords make it very difficult for the small business to survive. maybe this rant stems from the fact that that particular landlord at the knitting space is ... well ... pretty greedy (a friend of mine works with him and says he is a terror). anyway, i am happy to see a knitting cafe and wish them luck.

Posted on: 2008/9/16 17:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/6 21:01
Group:
Registered Users
Damn, you all make it sound like people won't go there because the word "knitting" is in front of "cafe".

I don't care if they happen to sell knitting supplies...the bottom line is that they have great coffee, scones, and cupcakes. It is a welcome addition to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 17:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/12 0:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
My wife noticed this and she got pretty pumped. There were a couple of places like this in San Francisco. She met some cool people there who were very kindly with knitting advice, from needle choice to technical tutorials.

Now, I'm not really familiar with the term "Hipster." Wikipedia says 'hipsterism fetishizes the authentic? elements of all of the ?fringe movements of the postwar era?Beat, hippie, punk, even grunge,? and draws on the ?cultural stores of every unmelted ethnicity? and ?gay style?, and then ?regurgitates it with a winking inauthenticity? and a sense of irony. These people have defanged, skinned and consumed? all of these influences ?into a repertoire of meaninglessness?.'

Since all of the people at these knitting places were like 90, I do not believe they could be considered hipsters. So my guess is that while knitting could become a fad for a while, if it's a friendly place, the hardcore knitters will still be clacking their wooden needles together long after it isn't the "now" place to be.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 3:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/6 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
For years, my mother-in-law has been knitting caps for premature babies. She says it helps her maintain her sanity. In some Maplewood schools, all of the kids knit, boys and girls. It has become extremely popular. Although I don't knit, I will pass on the info to my neighbors. Good luck to Stockinette. I hope it thrives for a long, long time.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
I have to say that I'm really disappointed by the JCListers who were so quick to jump in and brush this coffee shop off as "boring" and knitting as "hipster."

I stopped by tonight, it seems like a great coffee and tea shop with desserts and pastries.

They also sell yarn and knitting supplies. But I don't see why that makes it "too boring" to be a good coffee shop. I don't think it's any different than if Basic or Sweet Priscilla's started selling hobby supplies.

I've been knitting for 5 years. I have a lot of friends who knit and I've met a lot of friends and neighbors through knitting. For years, there have long been knitting groups at Basic, Starbucks, Dorrian's and Subia's. Even Janam sold a small amount of yarn and knitting needles.

I haven't kept track, but over the years I've spent quite a bit of money on yarn and knitting supplies. That's not including the money I've spent at coffee shops while knitting with friends. I even went on a knitter's cruise. Given the choice, I'd rather spend that money at a local business than at A.C. Moore or Starbucks.

And I'm not the only one. There are books, conventions and get-togethers, trips, magazines, and websites about knitting. They didn't all just sprout up yesterday.

There are also tons of knitting charity opportunities. Personally, The Red Scarf Project is one of my favorites, but there are people knitting Chemotherapy Caps, Socks for Soldiers, booties and hats for premature babies, and blankets for children going through traumatic times, among hundreds of others. But maybe trying to help people while you get to know your neighbors is too "hipster" for you.

To me, knitting seems more interesting and useful than a hobby like, oh, I don't know... cutting and pasting news stories from nj.com onto JCList.

Just because you didn't notice knitting until today, doesn't mean it's just today's trend. And I think it's disrespectful to your neighbors to try to brush it off as such.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 1:38
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 0:09
Group:
Registered Users
I have been knitting for a long time. I learned when I was little and I picked it back up about 9 years ago.

Anyway, it might be a fad for some people who are not as inclined, but there is a beautiful garden out back to have a coffee and dessert, and they are open early for all those people that pass by on their way to work in the morning.

I look forward to getting some fresh skeins once I finish a few quick projects.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 23:26
Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it.
It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever.
--Noam Chomsky

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/27 15:05
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
According to statistics by the Craft Council, there are approximately 38 million knitters in the United States. Contrary to what many believe, knitting is hardly trendy: it's been around in its present form since at least the 14th century. I learned as a young girl, and while I put it aside for many years, I started knitting again when i became a mom (which I think is fairly common). The term "knitting cafe" can certainly be seen as a marketing hook, but I stopped by this weekend and was pleased to find a friendly neighborhood yarn shop. Patricia's Yarns in Hoboken just celebrated its fourth anniversary (and has already moved once to a larger space); there are three thriving yarn shops in Montclair, huge craft stores like AC Moore and Michael's do booming business in Secaucus, so why shouldn't this shop fare well? If the owner listens to what her customers want, there's no reason she shouldn't build up a good, loyal clientele. I'll certainly patronize the shop, and if she's willing to carry the yarns i usually buy (and she certainly seems so), I'll become a loyal customer. It's a helluva lot more convenient than running to the Upper West Side or downtown on my lunch break (that is, when I actually get a lunch break).

all the best,
regina

Posted on: 2008/9/14 21:33

Formerly Melt space now the Stockinette Cafe (581 Jersey Ave between 3rd and 4th)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Stockinette Cafe 581 Jersey Ave (between 3rd and 4th) 201.792.KNIT The Stockinette Cafe Jersey City's first knitting cafe is finally opening its doors tomorrow, Friday, September 12. Offering delicious coffee from T.M. Ward, sophisticated teas from Harney & Sons, and tasty treats from Johnny Bakes, will be open from 6:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Our knitting shop hours will be from noon to 9:00 p.m. For knitting class schedules and gallery events, please continue to check our website as they will be updated in the near future.
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2008/9/14 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
And I'm sure they'll have wifi.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/7/28 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
when I lived in LA I was a short drive from three bustling, thriving knit shops, all in high-rent districts, and none with food.

good yarn is pricey. a comfy place to gather is priceless.

I think it has a good chance.

Posted on: 2008/7/28 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
The knitting cafe near where I used to live (in Maine) was mostly a knitting supply shop, with yarn, needles, etc. But there was a big table in the middle where knitting groups would sit, and another little seating area. Then in the back there was a counter where they sold coffee and pastries.

It was a nice place to hang out on a cold winter's day, and the staff (a married couple, both accomplished knitters) would give you pointers if you wanted, as would the more accomplished customers.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 22:49

The Stockinette Knitting Cafe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
There's a sign saying there's a new knitting cafe coming to that empty storefront on Jersey, near C-Town, next to the realtor, where there used to be a deli.

Does anyone here knit? I did for a few months, but I was so bad that it was a source of frustration and I gave it up.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 19:06

Edited by Webmaster on 2009/9/29 18:54:55

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017