Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: The Junction Area..White Girl wants to buy.. everyone says I am crazy
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/19 14:35
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
I found something affordable near Lincoln Park. In fact, there is something in my building for a super low price.

My real question is, how do you "feel" about handling a rough urban area?

Most violent crime takes place within groups. As an "outsider," your property would be targeted, but you wouldn't. If you don't mind taking precautions (home security system, burglar bars, hurricane film on windows, motion sensor lights, a dog who barks, not walking around like a fool after dark) and keeping your head, I really think it should be your decision.

Central JC is so beautiful architecturally that it would be stupid and wrong for the middle classes not to reclaim it. I cannot drive through it without envisioning what it would look like with more middle-class people moving in.

Further, many of the people on this list who make those kinds of "scary" comments simply don't have the urban experience to live in the lower rent districts and do have the paychecks to stay near the waterfront/downtown.

Bottom line: go for it if you "feel" okay.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
I think the JC RE market right now is pretty soft and may get softer.

If I had time, I'd be actively looking for properties in areas less iffy that The Junction, I'd be bombarding the sellers with lowball offers until the cows come home, and chances are that in a year or so I'd find a place that is to my liking and I won't need a bulletproof vest to come with the apartment.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
When people usually talk about walking around in a certain neighborhood "safety" is def a concern. Now I am not blind nor stupid...yes the area is rough around the edges but the more people mix it up a bit. I can go on and on on reasons why this is the case......I can suggest one thing, if you are new in any place, talk to your neighbors, introduce yourself, and look for your local community group and become active in it. Thanks

Posted on: 2008/7/25 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
id also check out the journal/mcginly square area in terms of a decent area thats affordable to buy and close enough to the PATH train so that you dont always need the car and others can get to you more easily as well. a big problem i had with even some places downtown (besides the price) was that they were too far from any train and that would make other visiters not too exited about the trip. if thats not a concern, then maybe it doesnt matter, but ive lived here for a few months and like it a lot.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
I dont think anyone said its "so" dangerous , its just not an area thats desiarable. And yes it has a higher amount of crime than alot of other areas of JC. As for many new comers moving in, I have yet to see it. Personally I like the area alot , so please dont think im knocking it. Im simply stating the facts and not trying to over glorify it. To me its one of the few areas that has kept its urban charm.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
First of all crime happens everywhere. I have lived near the junction all my life and the ONLY times my car (an expensive luxury car) got broken into was, listen up downtowners, in front of the main post office on washington, in front of duane reade on south river drive,and newport mall. I laugh when I see all these people saying how you can get something in downtown...where in downtown can you get something decent for 350,000 to 400,000? and then you have the dam parking situation..you buy an attached home in downtown and have no parking, yeah, that;s wonderful....or you buy a condo and realize you have to pay extra for parking and maintenance fees!
Regardless, I am glad that some people are not buying here, that means more opportunities for me to buy real estate. T
he area is becoming more mixed everyday and many in the area welcome it...in fact you will find that the "newcomers" like to separate themselves and when people know that you become target.
If you don't live here then your statements are biased and you should leave to the people that live here to answer. Another thing, if the area is SO bad why are their so many people, many white, buying here??

Posted on: 2008/7/25 13:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 0:09
Group:
Registered Users
How safe you feel depends on how you carry yourself and if you are merely going to get a place at the Liberty Lofts and lock your car into the parking deck and zoom to the grocery store/pharmacy/bodega in you nice car rather than walking around your neighborhood.

I think that locking yourself up in an Ivory Tower in the middle of unfamiliar territory may put you at somewhat of a disadvantage. I feel that part of living in a city is experiencing the local flavor, but YMMV.

I should admit that I don't often find myself in that area, just to kick around, which is a shame since I have heard that Irma's over by the precinct house has some of the best BBQ anywhere, but I have had times when I needed walk up to pick my car up from being impounded when they were paving and some smart@ss took the signs down.

Take the same advice we tend to give everyone else. Walk around the area at all different times of day and night and see what the place is actually like and judge for yourself if it is a place you can see yourself in.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 12:42
Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it.
It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever.
--Noam Chomsky

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
I am a white woman and I bought in the Junction area 4 years ago. Moving here was a big adjustment of cultures for me having lived in NYC for 20+ years and in the Heights for 10 years.

I am the minority here and I probably stick out to some degree but you know what - so what! I am not so concerned about crime because that happens everywhere. What I am concerned about is the attitude some people carry around. But on the whole, it is a working class neighborhood with more and more people buying and moving in and wanting to make a difference.

Yes. Whitlock Cordage and Library Hall Lofts are here. Down the road there is going to be a huge park area built at Garfield and Communipaw.

I say go ahead and buy. If you want to discuss feel free to send me a PM.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 12:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/24 21:00
Group:
Registered Users
Do me a favor and save that bullsh%& for someone else. I do not need to feel validated by anyone. Most of the people I asked live "on the hill" or in that area, that is why I asked them. Period. They happen to be black because that is the area most blacks live in, in Jersey City. And the fact is, I am a single white girl thinking of moving in that area, I drive a nice car and if you think people will not notice me, you have not lived here long enough or are sheltered. I just wanted info on that block because in Jersey City that can make a difference. I made no assumptions about it being safe for other races as I am not concerned about them. I was asking for me. Get over your self-righteousness and spare me your negative comments. I did not seek a public debate over society's ills. I asked a question about real estate. Thanks to all who answered the question like an non-bitter adult.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 11:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know the neighborhood well, but I'm surprised by what everyone has had to say about it.
Isn't this 'Junction' like two steps from Whitlock Cordage?
And aren't there 'Luxury Lofts' a block or so down Garfield?
And there are some beautiful looking areas just back up the hill on Summit and Park.
I can see that this ares is sort of on the edge, but it looks to me like a safe bet to change for the better over the next several years.
It seems like a good place to buy for someone young.
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but that neighborhood looks like its been changing pretty fast.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 11:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/19 1:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikkiinnj wrote:
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:
I saw someone bring something up about race. Please do not go there. In fact, every black person I asked, including a woman whose father lives across the street from where I was considering, told me I was crazy. However, they are from Jersey City and I am as well, so I wanted an "outsider's" opinion as I thought it would be less biased. I grew up in downtown and although I have always loved it, I cannot afford it for starters, but I wanted more space and this place had it and at a price within my budget. I knew it would be a tradeoff, but my safety is ultimately worth more. Thanks again.

You were the one that went there first in the headline of your post... If you don't see that then clearly you are not very observant and need to get that skill worked on before you consider buying a place. Fact is that it is a high crime area in Jersey City. I know that you feel that asking black people in the neighborhood makes you feel like your validated yourself but that just brings race into again by suggesting that the area is safe for black people but not for whites.

I'm quite sure that many of the black people that live there don't want to as evidenced by their comments to you. In any event, if you wanted an honest answer, you could have easily walked yourself over to the West District PD which is on Communipaw and they could give you the crime states for that neighborhood.

here here

Posted on: 2008/7/25 10:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
u r better off looking in the heights or maybe in the far western extremeties of downtown. lots of young professionals r moving to the heights or hoboken west due 2 its proximity to hoboken light rail

Posted on: 2008/7/25 6:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:
I saw someone bring something up about race. Please do not go there. In fact, every black person I asked, including a woman whose father lives across the street from where I was considering, told me I was crazy. However, they are from Jersey City and I am as well, so I wanted an "outsider's" opinion as I thought it would be less biased. I grew up in downtown and although I have always loved it, I cannot afford it for starters, but I wanted more space and this place had it and at a price within my budget. I knew it would be a tradeoff, but my safety is ultimately worth more. Thanks again.

You were the one that went there first in the headline of your post... If you don't see that then clearly you are not very observant and need to get that skill worked on before you consider buying a place. Fact is that it is a high crime area in Jersey City. I know that you feel that asking black people in the neighborhood makes you feel like your validated yourself but that just brings race into again by suggesting that the area is safe for black people but not for whites.

I'm quite sure that many of the black people that live there don't want to as evidenced by their comments to you. In any event, if you wanted an honest answer, you could have easily walked yourself over to the West District PD which is on Communipaw and they could give you the crime states for that neighborhood.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 6:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/25 4:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for the reality check. My desire to be a homeowner was clouding my judgement. My plan of getting pit bulls and immediately putting bars on my windows should have been a sign this was not for me. I will keep looking and saving

Posted on: 2008/7/25 4:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
LOL sure thomash844 easy for you to say. Whats even better is when people say to go for it when they dont live in the area. All I have to say is you'll probebly be much happier in another place. having to be constantly paranoid is no way to live.

To be honest, I could care less if she buys there or not, I just thought it was a funny response.

But I also say don't be afraid to buy somewhere you think you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. You have a right to purchase wherever you want, and maybe you should give others a little more credit. It's not like you're moving to a favela in Brazil.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 3:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Why move there when you can get a hell of a deal in downtown! IRS is having a fire sale in the metropolis towers! More info coming soon but I recommend bookmarking the link below so you will know when the auctions starts it's 22nd on the list. FIRE SALE!!!

http://www.treasury.gov/auctions/treasury/rp/realprop.shtml

Resized Image

Note: My sincere apologies to anybody who bought or is selling anything in the metropolis towers, this will make prices rock bottom.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
LOL sure thomash844 easy for you to say. Whats even better is when people say to go for it when they dont live in the area. All I have to say is you'll probebly be much happier in another place. having to be constantly paranoid is no way to live.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I dont get it when people say places in crap areas are the only things they can afford. No offense og poster. Keep looking, theres way better areas downtown or even Bayonne or somehting like that. Theres really no reason to move there, its not near any paths. Grow eyes behind your head before you purchase.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 2:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I say go for it, pioneer white girl.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Not the best idea

Posted on: 2008/7/25 2:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/12 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dad1964 wrote:
Where's the Junction area???

Communipaw and Grand. Even the historic marker is behind a fence.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 2:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
Where's the Junction area???

Posted on: 2008/7/25 1:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
nope... my vote is that will be mugged first... just my 2 cents...

Posted on: 2008/7/25 1:50

The Junction Area..White Girl wants to buy.. everyone says I am crazy

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am interested in purchasing a condo in this area, as it is the only thing I can afford. People say I am crazy and my house will be robbed or I will be. HELP!! Any info is appreciated.
NLB

Posted on: 2008/7/25 1:34

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017