Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Teen curfew
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/21 18:47
Group:
Banned
YIKES!
I thought that rule here in JC was repealed.

Criminalizing "childhood"?

Wow...what is this.....Nazi occupied Germany?....Gaza?
Will youngsters need 'papers' at checkpoints soon?

How about THIS:

CREATE SAFE, CLEAN, DESIREABLE PLACES FOR TEENS to CONGREGATE?

After school programs till 1am?
Free, fun classes and gym activities till 1am?

Criminalizing students and youth is just as silly as:
How about a cerfew for Asians? Whites?
Drunk politicians or hipsters downtown? (Well maybe THAT ONES NOT so silly!---joking!)

Geeze.

And, the use of the term 'wolf pack' to describe teens is offensive...and to some,--IF the meaning is for "children of color", (as its been used MANY MANY times before in mainstream media) downright racist.

Our youth need guideance and safe places. NOT criminal records.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 20:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/4 18:24
Group:
Registered Users
I did hang out with friends well after 10:00 at least on weekends. We were not looking to score pot or drink, we were looking to be away from our parents and to be with each other. Not every group of kids out late at night are the demons many of you fear.

Look....you chose to live in a city, a poverty stricken city that has more problems than you can ever imagine unless you leave downtown once in a while. There were kids on corners a long time ago, there will be kisd on corners a long time from now. Some of them will be doing bad things, some will be doing the same thing teenagers have always done - hanging out. Those of you so bothered by this that you want them all rounded up need to find another place to live because cops will never ride around picking kids up at 10:00. Despite what others have said, they truly do have much more important things to do.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Shane that is the point though. Curfew laws are created because a few apples spoiled the bunch and the population of Jc needs protection. If they are congregrating in large groups that late its loitering. No one just needs to hang out on the corner at any age.

Just from expierience at 16 hanging out that late in front of a 711 was where to score booze and pot and which girls to get to join us so we could score. I'm sure you remember those days.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 18:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/25 14:47
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:
. . ."its the parent's job" b/c if you hang around my neighborhood and hear how some of these "parents" parent their children, you''ll know these kids have no authority.

I don't want to raise their children, but if they're out at 2am, and they're 15, they're up to no good. throw them in jail and let their worthless parents wake up and come get them. maybe if these wonderful parents are inconvenienced enough they'll start keeping an eye on their kids.

I can not agree more. Its obvious that some of these parents are just using their children to get government grants.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
the people saying cops have better things to do are the same ones bitching about crime. the kid that was killed? 17. I don't think its a far stretch to say one of the perps could have been a juvenile as well.

i read sometime ago that while crime may be down, the juvenile crimes were up. I don't remember where, and i'm sure someone who has more time can find that, but i think a LARGE amount of crime in this city is b/c of these little sh*ts and sorry, i'm not gonna get into "its the parent's job" b/c if you hang around my neighborhood and hear how some of these "parents" parent their children, you''ll know these kids have no authority.

I don't want to raise their children, but if they're out at 2am, and they're 15, they're up to no good. throw them in jail and let their worthless parents wake up and come get them. maybe if these wonderful parents are inconvenienced enough they'll start keeping an eye on their kids.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 18:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/4 18:24
Group:
Registered Users
The curfew ordinance was never intended to be enforced to the letter. If a group of kids are congregated and are causing no harm to anyone else, the police won't bother them even if it's after 10. However, if suspicious activity is observed it can be used strategically. Normally the group is given a warning to disperse. If they fail to do that after the police appear a second time, individuals may be driven home and placed under parents' guidance. If something more serious is suspected, they will be taken in under the ordinance.

Imagine if this ordinance was enforced city-wide each night. You would have hundreds of kids in police stations, many of whom did no wrong.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Actually no the police don't have better things to do. I also can reference recent news of a sixteen year old crack dealer out past curfew.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 17:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/2 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Police officers have more pressing matters to attend to than getting kids off the streets after hours (see the post on the double shooting). Its up to parents to make sure their kids aren't hanging out on street corners but that's a different discussion

Posted on: 2010/2/2 17:26

Re: curfew
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Hey GrovePath,
I love that documentary, I actually have "not being able to create art they will not understand art" tattooed.

I have yet to see enough real hard data on curfews deterring juvenile crime, well at least enough hard data to put all kids in a city on house arrest and challenge the constitution. Of course this is already law here and the city is making money off and I guess most people here are seemingly comfortable with it, so it's kinda a mute point.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
After complaining about the young jackasses that hung out on my block until all hours of the night years ago at a neighborhood meeting, the cops told us they had 1 curfew van. Once thats full (about 5 kids) they have to go back to the station and wait there until all the kids are picked up.

Of course some parents are probably not around to come, so that cop gets stuck behind a desk playing babysitter while the van goes unused.

Not sure which genius thought this up, but its ridiculous. The driving cops should be able to dump the kids at the station and go out for more rounds. Of course when angry citizens mentioned this at the meeting it was met my overwhelemed cops saying "tell that to the administration"...this was 4 years ago, and luckily my block has been cleaned up so i haven't had the issue, but if you do, complain. squeeky wheel and all.....

Posted on: 2010/2/2 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
? 137-4. - Enforcement.

A.
Any police officer upon finding a child in violation of ? 137-2 shall take the child into protective custody and transport the child to the Curfew Center. Once at the Center, the child's parent or guardian will be contacted to allow the child to be taken home. Both the child and the parent will be counseled at the Curfew Center by community leaders and police officers concerning the provisions of the Jersey City curfew as it relates to the protection of children. The child and the parent will also be advised that a second violation of the Curfew Ordinance will make the parent and child also liable for a minimum fine of $100, a maximum fine as provided in Chapter 1, General Provisions, ? 1-25. Before releasing the child, the Police Department may request the parent or guardian to submit an appropriate form of identification and sign an appropriate authorization.
B.
If the Curfew Center is full or otherwise unavailable, any police officer upon finding a child in violation of ? 137-2 may ascertain the name and address of such child and warn the child that he or she is in violation of the curfew and shall direct the child to proceed at once to his or her home or usual place of abode. The police officer shall report such action to the Juvenile Division of the Police Department which shall in the case of the first violation by a child send by certified mail to the parents or guardians of the child written notice of the violation with a warning that a second violation will result in the parent and child being liable for community service and that, for a subsequent violation, the parent and child will also be liable for a minimum fine of $100, a maximum fine as provided in Chapter 1, General Provisions, ? 1-25, as well as community service.
C.
The provisions of this section shall not limit the power of the Police Department to charge parents, guardians or the operators of business establishments with violations of this chapter pursuant to ? 137-3.
? 137-5. - Violations and penalties.

A.
Any parent or guardian found guilty of violating this chapter after receiving a warning in accordance with ? 137-4 shall be liable for community service. Any subsequent violation of the provisions of this chapter shall also make the parent and child liable for a minimum fine of $100 and a maximum fine as provided in Chapter 1, General Provisions, ? 1-25. If both a child and a child's parent or guardian violate this chapter, they shall be required to perform community service together.
B.
Any operator of a business found guilty of violating the provisions of this chapter shall be liable to:
(1)
A minimum fine of $100 and a maximum fine as provided in Chapter 1, General Provisions, ? 1-25;
(2)
Community service; or
(3)
Both a fine and community service.
C.
Names of parents, guardians or business operators who defiantly violate the provisions of this chapter may be published in a newspaper of general circulation within the City of Jersey City. A parent, guardian or business operator shall be considered a defiant violator if he or she is found guilty of three or more violations of this chapter.
? 137-6. - Exceptions.

The provisions of this chapter shall not apply in the following situations:

A.
If a child is engaged in errands involving medical emergencies or attending extracurricular school activities or other cultural, educational and social events sponsored by religious or community-based organizations after 10:30 p.m. and before 6:00 a.m.
B.
If the child is accompanied by an adult authorized by a parent to accompany the minor for a designated period of time and specific purpose within a specific area.
C.
If the child is on the sidewalk of his or her residence or on the sidewalk of a next-door neighbor, so long as the neighbor does not object to the minor's presence on the sidewalk.
D.
(Reserved)
E.
(Reserved)
F.
(Reserved)
G.
The minor carries a certified card of employment or is on the way to or from a place of employment.
H.
The minor is in a motor vehicle with parental consent from normal travel, either intra- or interstate, through the City of Jersey City.
I.
The minor carries on his or her person a special permit from the Chief of Police authorized as follows: when necessary nighttime activities of a minor may be inadequately provided for by other provisions of this chapter recourse may be had to the Chief of Police, either for a regulation as provided in Subsection J or for a special permit as the circumstances warrant: upon the findings of necessity for the use of the streets to the extent warranted by a written application signed by a minor and by a parent of the minor, if feasible, stating the name, age and address of the minor; the name, address and telephone number of a parent thereof; the height, weight, sex, color of eyes and hair and other physical characteristics of the minor; the necessity which requires the minor to be present on the public streets; and the beginning and ending of the period of time involved by date and hour. The Chief of Police may grant a permit in writing for the use by the minor of streets at such hours as in the opinion of the Chief of Police may reasonably be necessary. In an emergency this may be accomplished by telephone or other effective communication, with a corresponding record being made contemporaneously by the Chief of Police or to the person designated by the Chief of Police to act on his or her behalf in an emergency, at the police station.
J.
There exists a regulation issued by the Chief of Police in other similar cases of reasonable necessity, similarly handled but adapted to necessary nighttime activities of more minors than can readily be dealt with on an individual special permit basis. Such regulation by the Chief of Police permitting use of the streets should be issued sufficiently in advance to permit appropriate publicity through news media and through other agencies such as the schools. It shall define the activity, the scope of the use of the streets permitted, the period of time involved, not to extend more than thirty (30) minutes beyond the time for termination of the activity, and the reason for finding that the regulation is reasonably necessary and is consistent with the purposes of this chapter.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 16:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
there's curfew signs posted around the park in my neighborhood, but just like the clean up after your dog, and loud noise laws, they get ignored by the police. even when the police are right there.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
OFF TOPIC:

....there is a nice doc on Charles Bukowski - available on netflix instant view:

Resized Image

Charles Bukowski 's poem:

'The Genius Of The Crowd'

there is enough treachery, hatred violence absurdity in the average
human being to supply any given army on any given day

and the best at murder are those who preach against it
and the best at hate are those who preach love
and the best at war finally are those who preach peace

those who preach god, need god
those who preach peace do not have peace
those who preach peace do not have love

beware the preachers
beware the knowers
beware those who are always reading books
beware those who either detest poverty
or are proud of it
beware those quick to praise
for they need praise in return
beware those who are quick to censor
they are afraid of what they do not know
beware those who seek constant crowds for
they are nothing alone
beware the average man the average woman
beware their love, their love is average
seeks average

but there is genius in their hatred
there is enough genius in their hatred to kill you
to kill anybody
not wanting solitude
not understanding solitude
they will attempt to destroy anything
that differs from their own
not being able to create art
they will not understand art
they will consider their failure as creators
only as a failure of the world
not being able to love fully
they will believe your love incomplete
and then they will hate you
and their hatred will be perfect

like a shining diamond
like a knife
like a mountain
like a tiger
like hemlock

their finest art

Posted on: 2010/2/2 16:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Well there ya go, guess the police aren't doing their jobs rounding up the youth of jersey city so parents can raise their kids properly.

Didn't Paterson try to pass an adult curfew at one time? I know everyone loves the business curfew.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Here's what I found in municode.com for JC.

? 137-1. - Definitions.

As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:

CHILD - Any person under the age of 17 years.

GUARDIAN - A person, other than a parent, to whom legal custody of a child has been given by court order or who is acting in the place of a parent or is responsible for the care and welfare of a child.

OPERATOR OF A BUSINESS ESTABLISHMENT - Any person who operates, manages or controls any place of amusement or entertainment, any store or shop, any tavern, saloon, cafe or restaurant or any other commercial or business establishment or place.

PUBLIC PLACES - Any place to which the public has access, including but not limited to a public street, road, thoroughfare, sidewalk, bridge, alley, plaza, park, recreation or shopping area, public transportation facility, vehicle used for public transportation, parking lot or any other public building, structure or area. This definition includes restaurants, taverns, cafes, stores and any other place that has business invitees.

? 137-2. - Duties of children.

A.
It shall be unlawful for any child to be in any public place between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. of the following day unless such child is accompanied by a parent or guardian or unless such child is engaged in, or traveling to or from, a business or occupation which the laws of this state authorize children to perform.
B.
It shall be unlawful for any child under the age of 17 years to be in any public place on any school day during the hours in which such child's school is in session, unless such child is accompanied by a parent or guardian or unless he or she has been excused from school by school authorities.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A curfew becomes necessary when parents don't do their jobs. Try to see this more as the community helping raise the kids.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well it needs to be enforced then. Can we confirm there is one?

Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I always found curfews a pretty annoying concept in a "free" country such as ours. Doesn't really solve the problem though of behavior, but I guess it hides it.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't there one already? I believe that if minors are caught commiting a crime they can also be charged with breaking the curfew.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:18

curfew
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think its time for our city to have a curfew for all unaccompanied minors under 16. It would cut on some crime if we get them off the street.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks. I will call the police when I see a group of teens ("wolf pack') breaking the curfew as I do realize Jersey City does have limited police resources.

Posted on: 2008/7/23 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
It is interesting that you bring this up, our community in Bergen Lafayette has been trying to get this enforced for a long time with very little success. The reasons given is there is a lack of police officers to pick up kids in the curfew van, do the paper work and track down parents. I am sure something could be done to make this more strict but I know that if this WAS indeed enforced it would JC a better place. Please see Municipal code below:

A. It shall be unlawful for any child to be in any public place between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. of the following day unless such child is accompanied by a parent or guardian or unless such child is engaged in, or traveling to or from, a business or occupation which the laws of this state authorize children to perform.
B. It shall be unlawful for any child under the age of 17 years to be in any public place on any school day during the hours in which such child?s school is in session, unless such child is accompanied by a parent or guardian or unless he or she has been excused from school by school authorities.

Posted on: 2008/7/23 13:18

Teen curfew
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Is there or is there not a teen curfew in Jersey City? I thought there was and is it being enforced? If not, why not?

Posted on: 2008/7/23 5:47

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017