Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Political Insider: Manzo's effort to oust Healy a long shot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Political Insider: Effort to oust Healy a long shot

by The Jersey Journal
Wednesday August 13, 2008, 4:17 PM

Former state Assemblyman and potential mayoral candidate Lou Manzo is in for a surprise if he thinks an effort to oust Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy would be successful, according to today's Jersey Journal Political Insider column.

=============================================================
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... insider_effort_to_ou.html
=============================================================

Does Rone ruling mean anything for Healy's future?

Political Insider
Jersey Journal
Saturday, August 09, 2008

W ho would have guessed that a summer 2006 scuffle with police in front of a Bradley Beach bar might put Mayor Jerramiah Healy of Jersey City in danger of losing his City Hall post.

Yes, I know, the mayor, his spokesperson, and even Hudson County Prosecutor Ed DeFazio say the mayor being handcuffed by police, pepper-sprayed in the eyes to bring him under control, and then convicted of obstruction of justice and disorderly person charges does not merit his removal from office.

It would not have been a question until on Dec. 20, 2006 Newark Councilwoman Dana Rone created a scene when Rutgers-Newark University police stopped Rone's nephew, Jameel Grant, for a traffic violation on Broad Street. She threw around her position and influence in the city.

Rone was convicted of obstruction in a municipal court trial and a state court upheld the verdict, followed by forfeiture proceedings.

Everyone in Jersey City seems to think that whether an elected official can be tossed out of office hinges on that part of the state law that refers to whether a conviction for obstruction of justice "touches or involves" the defendant's public office.

Then you read the decision by state Superior Court Judge Patricia K. Costello in Newark - who was once working out of Jersey City - to remove Rone.

Costello wrote that everyone agrees that the actions of Rone touches her office. The councilwoman was repeatedly told to get out of the way and stop interfering. On numerous occasions she announced that she is a local councilwoman and called for the "real police."

The one area in Costello's ruling that strikes this writer is where the judge responds to the argument on behalf of Rone that forfeiture of office would undermine the public confidence, etc.

"An elected official who would abuse her position for the purpose of gaining the upper hand over a police officer over the issuance of a mere traffic ticket does not merit her position," the judge wrote.

"Her actions directly impact upon public confidence regarding law enforcement functions; any person viewing this incident would conclude that she felt herself, and by extension her family, to be above the law ."

". The statutory forfeiture scheme is designed to protect the public, and not the offender .," Costello wrote.

In Healy's case, he announced that he was mayor of Jersey City and a good friend of the Bradley Beach police chief after he tried to intervene in a dispute between another bar customer and his girlfriend, according to this week's appeal decision. The mayor had been ordered by police to leave. It led to Healy being taken to the sidewalk and arrested.
Advertisement

Did it touch his office? Does it matter? Costello's reasoning in the Rone case suggests that it does not, and that just trying to influence police to get "the upper hand" may be enough.

It may answer one question. Why is Healy so adamant in appealing this case so many times? His persistence has drawn an editorial from the Asbury Park Press that calls upon Bradley Beach and the Monmouth County governments to seek legal fees from Healy. Could it be that the mayor was advised that he has forfeiture exposure here? The mayor says he just wants to correct an injustice.

The Rone case may be replayed in Jersey City. Former Assemblyman Lou Manzo of Jersey City, who is often mentioned as a possible mayoral candidate in 2009, has said his public advocacy office is hiring an attorney to review the issue and may seek forfeiture proceedings against Healy. No matter the outcome, the testimony in such a trial would be interesting.

Imagine the political chaos in Jersey City should there be a sudden mayoral vacancy. There must already be much drooling in the various political camps.

Which brings us to an interesting part of this whole thing - the 180-degree turn by the Office of the Essex County Prosecutor. First, the prosecutor was eager to remove Rone, and two weeks later it reversed itself by seeking a waiver against removing the councilwoman from office - "with acquiescence by the state Attorney General's Office."

Gee, one wonders why? It comes after Rone's attorney was bandying about the "Healy Defense" to the press, where he wondered aloud why the mayor of Jersey City was still in office after being convicted of obstruction of justice in a Shore town under similar circumstances.

What would the state and the administration in Trenton have to gain by protecting Rone and perhaps Healy, chairman of the Hudson County Democratic Organization? It should be a rhetorical question.

This will not be just an ordinary Jersey City election - put on your seat belt.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 11:17

Re: Healy Timeline
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
at least that is what I heard him say, and I'll take his word for it.

The idiot point could not be better elucidated! The fact that you would "take his word for it" on any matter whatsoever.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
Quote:
super_furry wrote: Healy is a diabetic and also has a non life threatening skin condition that causes rashes/open sores to appear from time to time. His mis-use of alcohol is a separate issue.

You're clearly a friggin' idiot if you think his (over) abuse of alcohol is a separate issue from his diabetic condition..

Nice display of hostility and interesting interpretation of what I wrote. Healy has a medical condition (disease?) that causes the outbreaks - blotches and open sores that occur from time to time, at least that is what I heard him say, and I'll take his word for it.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
2 disagree over mayor's legal vulnerability
Wednesday, August 06, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio reiterated yesterday, in the wake of a judge's decision to strip Newark Councilwoman Dana Rone of her office, that he would not seek to remove Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy from City Hall.

The prosecutor repeated that Healy's disorderly persons conviction did not touch his public office, which is the standard for removal.

"It's a completely different situation than what the councilwoman did," DeFazio said. "That is an extraordinary circumstance as to what happened in Essex County."

Former Assemblyman and former mayoral candidate Lou Manzo, however, says he disagrees with DeFazio and says that Healy should be removed from office. Manzo said his public advocacy group plans to hire an attorney to review the Rone decision and whether it should apply to Healy.

Rone lost her post because she interfered in her nephew's traffic stop in Newark and invoked her status as a councilwoman.

Healy spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said in a statement that the allegations in the two cases are "polar opposites."

"The councilwoman was accused of using her authority over police officers operating in her city to gain a benefit for one of her relatives," she said. "The mayor, according to all parties, interceded to break up a domestic dispute."

Posted on: 2008/8/6 18:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
super_furry wrote: Healy is a diabetic and also has a non life threatening skin condition that causes rashes/open sores to appear from time to time. His mis-use of alcohol is a separate issue.

You're clearly a friggin' idiot if you think his (over) abuse of alcohol is a separate issue from his diabetic condition.

Limiting one's indulgence in "80-proof cheer" is a virtual pre-req for diabetics on account of how the body processes alcohol intake.

Healy is his own worst enemy and is an utter disgrace of a man. And by the way, Maureen can knock 'em back with the best of them too. I've seen her in action as well.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Manzo thinks Rone decision may apply to Healy

August 5, 2008 - 5:52pm
By Matt Friedman

Former Assemblyman Lou Manzo, a potential Jersey City mayoral hopeful for next year, thinks he might have a short cut to kicking Mayor Jerramiah Healy out of office.

Manzo plans to hire an attorney through his public advocacy office to review whether a judge?s decision that Newark Councilwoman Dana Rone should forfeit her office after her obsruction of justice conviction parallels that of Mayor Jerramiah Healy, who was convicted of disorderly conduct over a 2006 incident in Bradley Beach.

?My advocacy office is actually going to review it and see if it does apply. And if it does, we?re going to take a civil action on it,? said Manzo.

New Jersey law states that public officials convicted of a crime in which they have abused their powers of office should forfeit their positions.

Healy has unsuccessfully appealed his conviction twice. And today, the Jersey Journal reported that Healy lost an attempt to press charges of aggravated assault and official misconduct charges against the Bradley Beach police officer who arrested him.

Manzo, however, said that Healy may have kept appealing because he realized that the law could make his hold on the mayor?s seat vulnerable.

Healy has contended that his case is different from Rone?s. Whereas she appeared on the scene of a Rutgers University traffic stop involving her nephew and used her power as a councilwoman to call in Newark Police, Healy said he was acting as a private citizen ?outside of his official capacity.?

Manzo countered that a witness at Healy?s trial last year said that he yelled ?I'm the mayor of Jersey City," while police officers had him on the ground.

?I think the witnesses bare it out as saying he?s the mayor of Jersey City,? said Manzo.

Healy could not be reached for comment.

http://www.politickernj.com/matt-frie ... -decision-may-apply-healy

Posted on: 2008/8/6 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jennymayla wrote: And it's TIRED and OLD too. Just to reiterate.
The original poster left out the link to today's Hudson County Now (Jersey Journal) site: Healy loses -- again by Paul Koepp Tuesday August 05, 2008, 11:24 AM Mayor Healy Chalk up another legal defeat for Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, whose attempt to press charges against the Bradley Beach cop who arrested him in 2006 was rejected by an appeals court today. Healy and his wife, Maureen, had appealed a judge's finding that the Monmouth County Prosecutor did not abuse his discretion when he dismissed their complaint in December 2006. The Healys had argued that Police Officer Terry Browning should be charged with aggravated assault and official misconduct in connection with the late-night scuffle in June 2006 that ended in the mayor's arrest. A grand jury chose not to indict Browning or send the charges against him back to the Bradley Beach Municipal Court. Read the decision, and check Hudson County Now and tomorrow's Jersey Journal for reaction and more details. Here's Jersey Journal video from June of last year showing the mayor on the stand during his trial and at an impromptu news conference afterward: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2008/08/healy_loses_again.html

Posted on: 2008/8/5 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I saw Healy recently and he is in a sad state. He is getting gin blossoms/sprouts on his nose and face. A man his age and in his medical condition drinking so much is ridiculous. Wasn't his father killed in a bar fight? Does he not realize how alcohol will continue to destroy his life...

Healy is a diabetic and also has a non life threatening skin condition that causes rashes/open sores to appear from time to time. His mis-use of alcohol is a separate issue.

Posted on: 2008/8/5 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I don't really care if our elected officials pass out drunk and naked on their front porches. I don't even care if skim tax dollars for their own benefit. However, what I do care about is a safe downtown, repaved streets, snow removal, litter cleanup, pedestrian safety and park improvements.

So it doesn't really matter to me that Healy is a naked drunk dude; what really matters is if he is delivering the services that residents expect and deserve, and frankly, he isn't. Police response time sucks, the streets have potholes that could swallow cars, litter fills every street corner, crossing many intersections can get you killed, and its a draw on the city's park efforts.

Posted on: 2008/8/5 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Politickernj is reporting today that the councilwomen who was found guilty of obstruction of justice(just like Healy)will be removed from office since she lost her appeal.

How this will affect Healy i don't know.

Posted on: 2008/8/5 15:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Okay. You win. But at least I generated good karma. So there. Good luck with yours.

And even more relevantly, good luck to Jerry Healy and his corroded liver with their joint karma!

Posted on: 2008/7/22 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
Quote:

....yes.....unlike you getting hustled at the Holland Tunnel by the oldest scam in the book. That's not old and tired at all.

Anyhoooo, I've had the "honor" of seeing "his honor" on more than one occasion at the Lincoln Inn when I was having a late dinner with family and friends.

He is a drunken disgrace.

Okay. You win. But at least I generated good karma. So there.

Good luck with yours.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 23:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

....yes.....unlike you getting hustled at the Holland Tunnel by the oldest scam in the book. That's not old and tired at all.

Anyhoooo, I've had the "honor" of seeing "his honor" on more than one occasion at the Lincoln Inn when I was having a late dinner with family and friends.

He is a drunken disgrace.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Whats the point of the thread,i'm a little lost here

Posted on: 2008/7/22 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I saw Healy recently and he is in a sad state. He is getting gin blossoms/sprouts on his nose and face. A man his age and in his medical condition drinking so much is ridiculous. Wasn't his father killed in a bar fight? Does he not realize how alcohol will continue to destroy his life? Time for him to grow up and move on. "Tired and Old"? You said it. "Next" mayor please.

Hmmmm...This does bring up intriguing possibilities. Rather than try to vote him outta office, which would be a herculean task against the machine, we just let nature take its course. Who is next in line for mayoral succession? Of course, I can see this city going from bad to worse when it comes to mayors. Anyway, I agree the original post is a tired and old issue.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Nice to see the spokespersons for our neighborhood associations getting actively involved in partisan politics. Well done, HCA!

Posted on: 2008/7/22 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
...This whole issue is TIRED and OLD. Next.

+1 ...but I think we are all stuck hearing it endlessly through the election.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
having said that, he should get some help. He should get out of city hall, then he should get some help.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 19:33
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
I have to admit it never gets tired for me... because I just can't *believe* this guy is mayor of what's going to soon be the biggest city in the state of New Jersey.

and um, no I never passed out drunk naked on my porch. I must be no fun at all.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 19:32
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I saw Healy recently and he is in a sad state. He is getting gin blossoms/sprouts on his nose and face. A man his age and in his medical condition drinking so much is ridiculous. Wasn't his father killed in a bar fight? Does he not realize how alcohol will continue to destroy his life? Time for him to grow up and move on. "Tired and Old"? You said it. "Next" mayor please.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Oh sure, like you never passed on drunk on your porch or nothin.

Judgey.

This whole issue is TIRED and OLD. Next.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 19:08

Healy Timeline
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/13 22:23
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
In 2008, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has lost another round in his effort to overturn a conviction on resisting arrest and obstructing justice. A unanimous state appellate court on today found no reason to change last year's verdicts, which stem from an incident in Bradley Beach in 2006. Healy was convicted by a municipal judge, and the verdict was upheld last year by a state judge.

In 2004, photos depicting the future mayor nude and drunkenly slumped on his front stoop were widely publicized after a neighbor with a camera phone captured several shots of him in full, unattired glory. According to Healy, he ambled outside fully clothed after consuming half a dozen beers to investigate a suspicious noise, then passed out as a result of suffering from diabetes.

In 1999, he pleaded guilty to a disorderly persons charge after reportedly getting into a naked scuffle with police, this time on the front porch of his vacation home on the Jersey shore.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 18:57

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017