Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: During street parking is it legal to park in place after the cleaner has passed?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

change wrote:
Hey Everyone, I was just wondering if its legal to park on the side of the street after the cleaner has passed or would you still get a ticket? In NY they would def still ticket you even after the cleaner has pass yet in the downtown are I see tons of people that just move the car when the cleaner comes then park their car and leave it. Has anyone still recieved a ticket after the cleaner passed or is it an unsaid rule that the spot is now legal? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

20 year resident and I have never recieved a ticket when parking immediately after the sweeper has passed. It is an unwritten rule of JC Life that I am sure will someday fall when the city wants to raise some more money. For now you're safe.

Posted on: 2008/8/27 23:50

Re: Street Sweeping
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'm jealous that Hoboken residents only have to move their car once. Why can't we have our rules like that?

Well for one thing, JC is probably one of the dirtiest places I have ever been to in terms of litter and garbage on the street. I don't go to Hoboken enough to really notice if it's any different over there. Unfortunately the sweeper only picks up about 50% of the crap it passes over.

Posted on: 2008/8/27 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm jealous that Hoboken residents only have to move their car once. Why can't we have our rules like that?

Posted on: 2008/8/27 19:44

Re: During street parking is it legal to park in place after the cleaner has passed?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
It's not legal but predictably safe to park after the street cleaner and the Parking Ticket Cops have passed. I never had a problem in 4 years with that method in downtown JC.

Posted on: 2008/8/27 19:05

During street parking is it legal to park in place after the cleaner has passed?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/3 12:12
From van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Everyone, I was just wondering if its legal to park on the side of the street after the cleaner has passed or would you still get a ticket? In NY they would def still ticket you even after the cleaner has pass yet in the downtown are I see tons of people that just move the car when the cleaner comes then park their car and leave it. Has anyone still recieved a ticket after the cleaner passed or is it an unsaid rule that the spot is now legal? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Posted on: 2008/8/27 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

aloria wrote:
Do the streets really get so much dirt that each side needs to be swept twice a week? Not that the sweeper actually accomplishes much. I've seen that thing going up and down Jersey and there's always a trail of wet sand/dirt in its wake.

A few years back up in the Heights they were only sweeping twice a week once per side.

edit - sorry misread your post. but agreed the sweeper cleans very minimally ... most times the stuff gets pushed onto the sidewalk edge and the residents will just sweep it back onto the street lol

Parking authority is not here to clean the streets, their here to make money for the city. As for parking after the sweeper has passed, they do not enforce this and if they did it would be counter productive for the city as the parking situation across the city is a nightmare. Also the parking authority is more money hungry in downtown JC because they know the residents will have the money to pay up more easily. Sometimes around where I live they never pass or only the street sweeper passes by itself but since the ready and able men always pass the streets are always clean.

Posted on: 2008/7/3 15:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/23 19:52
Group:
Registered Users
The whole business is a racket. Anybody ever noticed the "street sweepers" don't actually sweep up anything?

The SOLE purpose is to grow revenue by ticketing vehicles, ostensibly to clear the way for the "street sweepers."

Which is a shame. Because as long as the JCPA (just about the most corrupt and patronage-ridden agency in JC, by the way) is going to waste taxpayer-funded diesel driving these things up and down the streets of Our Fair City, they might as well actually function. Right?

The sweepers in NYC work just fine--you could eat of the freshly swept pavement. But somehow JC managed to wind up with a munificent fleet of leaf blowers on wheels...

Shall we petition Boss Healy? Or just collapse into a heap of smoldering curbside cynicism?

Posted on: 2008/7/3 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Irritating and useless at cleaning as the street sweeeping is, it serves an important purpose in keeping parking spots circulating. It stops people leaving semi-abandoned cars on the streets, and ensures there is a constant turnover of spaces.

One of the things that makes parking in Hoboken even worse, is that they only have to move once per week, so there is much less daily turnover.

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/7/3 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

aloria wrote:
Do the streets really get so much dirt that each side needs to be swept twice a week? Not that the sweeper actually accomplishes much. I've seen that thing going up and down Jersey and there's always a trail of wet sand/dirt in its wake.

A few years back up in the Heights they were only sweeping twice a week once per side.

edit - sorry misread your post. but agreed the sweeper cleans very minimally ... most times the stuff gets pushed onto the sidewalk edge and the residents will just sweep it back onto the street lol

Posted on: 2008/7/3 11:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
When I first moved to Downtown JC from Manhattan fours years ago (on June 30!!! ), I found it strange that people parked right after the street sweeper has gone by. I thought that, like Manhattan, you couldn't park it those spaces within that time period. So one day, as the street sweeper and JCPA came by, I asked the JCPA if it was legal to park after the sweeper had gone by, and she said yes.

Every now and then when I haven't been able to tell if the sweeper had come by, I've stopped a JCPA agent, and they would tell me whether or not the sweeper had passed and,if so, indicated that I could legally park there.

I haven't received a ticket for that at all (knock on wood, count my blessings, etc., etc....)

Now the sweper does come by twice a week for either side (M-Th one side, and Tu-Fr the other, with Wed being the no hassle day). Maybe we don't need it twice a week, and it is annoying when I am home, but I rather have it twice a week, than once or not at all. Let's not give something up, because once we give it up, we may not get it back.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 23:34
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

aloria wrote:

Posted on: 2008/7/2 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
in our area, the little interceptors sound their horn letting you know the sweeper is on its way. i have many times moved my car to let the sweeper through and reparked in my old spot.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 21:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

croft wrote:
since i work at night, i usually wait for the sweeper to pass by at 1pm, then put my car back out on the street. we also have surveillance cameras on the front of our house watching our cars. i've never seen the parking authority come by after the sweeper because we're an unzoned block in the heights, but i could easily see this happening downtown or near NJCU where the parking authority seems to be more money hungry.

If you read the sign, it simply says "No Parking" the days of the week and a window of 2 hours. It doesn't say why, therefore the Parking Authority would be within their rights to issue tickets, just for being there during that time frame. The reality is that once the street cleaner passes, they will not write tickets for that reason, but they still will write tickets for other infractions, like zone parking, too close to corner, fire hydrant, driveway, etc. But I am sure that if you give the Parking Authority any lip, they would be happy to give you a ticket for parking during those hours, time and time again.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 21:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/20 20:52
From Greenville, Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't there a time/date stamp on those tickets once they're printed? If so, you can definitely fight that can't you? Or are tickets still being handwritten in some areas?

Posted on: 2008/7/2 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
since i work at night, i usually wait for the sweeper to pass by at 1pm, then put my car back out on the street. we also have surveillance cameras on the front of our house watching our cars. i've never seen the parking authority come by after the sweeper because we're an unzoned block in the heights, but i could easily see this happening downtown or near NJCU where the parking authority seems to be more money hungry.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 21:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/27 1:27
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/2 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
They will give you a ticket even if the sweeper does not go through that day. I've seen it and you can't fight it. It's not about clean streets, it's about about fleecing the residents.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Maybe this is a new thing with the PA. I've been parking after the sweeper has gone through and never gotten a ticket, even if it was in the designated 2 hour period. (sometimes you can tell they've been through because of the wet tracks going down the side of the street... and sometimes around a car that got a ticket!)

Posted on: 2008/7/2 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soulman wrote:
What proof do you have that the sweeper actually passed?
Don't see why a Judge would dismiss the ticket.
Downtown, the Parking Authority often come in pairs and writes tickets, you may have come after the first guy, but not the 2nd.

I didn't get a ticket but just want to play it safe. Usually in all of J.C. once the sweeper has long passed within the 2 hour period then you can put your car back. But I hear that in some parts of J.C. people are recieving tickets after the sweeper has passed still within the 2 hours. So far it is selective in certain areas.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 14:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
What proof do you have that the sweeper actually passed?
Don't see why a Judge would dismiss the ticket.
Downtown, the Parking Authority often come in pairs and writes tickets, you may have come after the first guy, but not the 2nd.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 14:41

Street Sweeping
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone ever got a ticket after the sweeper left ? If the sign states no parking 8am to 10 am and the sweeper comes at 8:05 am and you get a ticket at 9:30 am. Technicaly you are violating the street sweeping sign this is how they do it in Manhattan but the parking authority in Manhattan does not follow the sweeper as they do here in J.C.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 14:31

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017