Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hamilton Park Dog Run, pitbull attack

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/7 2:57
From Pavonia Newport or Newport Pavonia
Group:
Registered Users
So sorry to hear about your Rosie. Hoping she has a speedy recovery.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stagnantartist wrote:

Also do we all not remember the dog that killed the puppy last year? Shall i remind everyone of THAT case?

Yes, please do.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
I feel bad for Rosie but I am glad she will be okay.

There have been several times when I have gone over to the VVP dog run and decided not to let my dog in after all. A few owners just exude carelessness and require you to be extra-vigilant, but there are one or two that seem to take pride in the potentially aggressive nature of their (usually unfixed) dogs - not by any means all pit bulls, mind you. I wonder if they would actually be happy if their dog attacked another.

In any case, it is a bad idea (and bad manners) to bring toys or long-lasting treats like ham bones or rawhides to a dog run. Even many friendly dogs display semi-aggressive or guarding behaviors toward treats and toys. A friendly play session can quickly escalate to a confrontation when a treat or toy is involved. If you bring a toy it should ideally be one you can control at all times (like a rope toy) and can put away at a monent's notice. If you do need to use a ball, you should carefully evaluate every dog that enters the dog run while you're using it to see if it displays guarding or overly dominant behaviors - and take it away ASAP if necessary.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I witnessed the attack yesterday. The owner of the pit was a dope and appeared to be on DOPE. There was going to be no reasoning with him to take his dog out of the run. His racist rant after the attack hints that he was possibly spoiling for a fight to show how tough his dog was or something. Like the pit from last summer this was a case of a bad owner unable to control their dog because of stupidity and being stoned.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 18:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
I guess i am going to be the pissed off person on this topic as I think this is unbelievable. FIRST off, you know how your pet is. If your pet is aggressive or unsure, then you keep them away from other dogs. I have been in that court many times with mine, though mine will just stand there and not play. SECONDLY: I have lived on 8th street and been "priced" out of the area too, doesn't mean we got bad dogs. The area is changing and i don't think that is a viable excuse. You are a bad dog owner and just a plain old a**hole. You don't care about your dog or what it does to others... end of story. I know a woman that walked her dog around the park and not interact with other people cause she KNEW what her dog was like. That lady was nice.

If i had a kid and knew it hit other kids, would i take care of that child or have it hang around other children?

Also do we all not remember the dog that killed the puppy last year? Shall i remind everyone of THAT case?

Posted on: 2008/6/25 16:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/14 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I am glad that you are a responsible owner, but throwing the tennis ball is how I exercise my dog. She does not play with other dogs and always just minds her own business. I have never had a problem before this. All she wants to do is fetch the ball. The dog attacked her unprovoked. I assumed that since this dog was unleashed in the "dog run" that it would not be vicious. Now, I do not blame any dog for their actions. Dogs are dogs, but I do blame crappy owners. The solution is not to deprive dogs of their toys, but to not have aggressive dogs in the "dog run" with the others.

I understand, I was just pointing out sometimes when you introduce toys and other play things in an open dog area other dogs aren't as disciplined as yours and might see the ball and think they can join in the game of fetch or worse, think that ball is theirs and start to get aggressive.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
The reaction of this vicious dog walker is typical of those that have no regard for rules and regulations. Years ago that was the way of the uneducated, children react this way not responsible adults. If you persued this any further he the dog owner might have gotten violent with you. They are upset that they are being priced out of where they are renting, so when they can't rent anymore they rant. I see the same type of dog walkers up in the Heights never with a leash but with the same attitude and disregard just waiting for a well to do person to say something. Instead of feeling embarrased they lash out defending their actions. Remember the 3 Billys.. Accountibility, responsibility, liability. By the way I didn't know Hamilton Park had a dog run.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 16:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/6 12:31
Group:
Registered Users
I am glad that you are a responsible owner, but throwing the tennis ball is how I exercise my dog. She does not play with other dogs and always just minds her own business. I have never had a problem before this. All she wants to do is fetch the ball. The dog attacked her unprovoked. I assumed that since this dog was unleashed in the "dog run" that it would not be vicious. Now, I do not blame any dog for their actions. Dogs are dogs, but I do blame crappy owners. The solution is not to deprive dogs of their toys, but to not have aggressive dogs in the "dog run" with the others.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 16:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/14 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
I am not saying that the pitbull owner was not responsible for this incident or that his dog should be allowed in the temporary dog run, but you should not bring any type of toys or balls into a dog run at all. It could lead to aggressive dog behavior from any dog, not just from a pitbull. Toys and balls could aggrevate any situation between dogs.

I not saying that Rosie caused it or that she deserved it. I hope that she is okay and I am sure that she will be.

I have a pitbull mix and she is a great dog. she's kind and gentle with people, but she doesn't get along with every dog (which is normal for any dog) and I don't take her in the temporary dog run because of this.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 16:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
wow, you are a complete winner.... really? was that at all cool? Yes it is not a dog run. But it is also not a cricket field, volleyball court or a place for children to run around in and I have seen it used for all of those... So if you want to get down to technical details.... it doesn't have a net for tennis anyways. So how about you play nice or you not allowed in the make shift dog run.... AND if this was a child that was hurt, everyone would be even more up in arms about this.... Dogs are OUR children, so come on....

Posted on: 2008/6/25 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
AreaWoman: I am so sorry about your dog. It sucks when people in the community act like assholes and show complete disregard for others -- human or animal.

As for the issue in general, this is like the 4th or 5th version of the same debate on this site in the past 18 months. Happens every couple of months. The interesting (and a wee bit predictable) thing is that it always involves different people but the arguments are always the same. Big dogs bag, big dogs good. People bad, people good. Dogs are animals, People are animals. Cops should help, Cops should ignore. Free world. Woof woof.

If people just obeyed the law and acted like normal human beings, this would never happen.

With love from Shangri-La,

Jennymayla

Posted on: 2008/6/25 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
i hope another even bigger pitbull eats his pitbull.

I know that I'll get crap for this...

The owner is the a**hole here.

The dumbass' dog is doing what it's owner allows it to do without correction or trains it to do. Also, unneutered and unspayed dogs also present a problem in the runs as many fixed animals don't react well to unfixed dogs.

Probably a good idea to have a camera phone ready when you sense that someone is coming into the run with an aggressive dog or someone fitting a**hole's description comes into the run.

Thankfully, Rosie will recover fully and everyone else is aware of the a**hole.

Resized Image

AMERICA'S MOST POPULAR DOG DURING THE VICTORIAN AGE...

Posted on: 2008/6/25 15:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Is that really necessary? Yes, it is technically and physically a tennis court. BUT, it has been designated as a temporary dog run and it has been used for months by many people in the neighborhood to exercise their dogs off-leash to avoid being ticketed. I'm not sure how that is trashy, it actually seems like some people are trying to be responsible with their pets. I live in this neighborhood because of the park and the community around it. When it is violated by irresponsible people, it is upsetting and other people should be aware of the situation.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AreaWoman wrote:
I am sorry, if your dog is aggressive, do not put into the pen with other dogs. It's that simple.

It's not a pen or a dog run, it's a tennis court.

How trashy is our neighborhood getting?

Posted on: 2008/6/25 15:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned
Me and my two boys wish Rosie well ...

Posted on: 2008/6/25 14:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/27 1:27
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's jerks like this who give pit bulls (and other big dogs) a bad rep. I'd love to have my two dogs run around with other dogs, but heaven forbid some irresponsible dumbass lets their dog rip one of mine to shreds.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 14:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The sad thing is that there are cops in the park, but the police people with good dogs and stuff like that. It's a shame but typical. Cops are just going to ride around in there little parking ticket cars that you can kick over. It's ridiculous. People with aggressive dogs should never be around other dogs. I agree, karma will bite back that a**hole and his dog. Poor Rosie..... Send her kisses and treats.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 14:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the kind words and to the folks who were so nice to call the vets in the area right away. I am picking her up in an hour. I am sure she is fine, but will probably be wearing a head cone for a while. The whole situation just sucks. You really can't trust anyone you don't know.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 11:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
god damn neighborhood trash.

what they will have to eventually do is put a cop on duty in these parks, someone always watching what BS is going on there.

sorry about your dog. i hope another even bigger pitbull eats his pitbull.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 10:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I also hope that Rosie is okay. I know that karma will take care of everything even if we are never witness to see it...

"It is not only what we do,
but also what we do not do,
for which we are accountable."
Moliere

Posted on: 2008/6/25 4:03
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
I do hope Rosie feels better soon.
I am sure we came across the same dog today if it was this evening. My dog was just about to poop, when a car stopped at the light and this tan pit bull almost jumped out of the car barking. I started walking away with my dog. Needless to say the occupants of the car did nothing to control their dog and fortunately the light turned green and the car moved.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
This guy was an idiot and we couldn't talk sense into him. We stayed well away from him and hoped he would leave. Unfortunately there is no way to enforce dog-run etiquette. This guy was also a bit tweaked possibly by meth or something. His last words as he ran away after the attack were "you white people want the park for yourselves". The african-american woman standing next to me was amused by this comment.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 2:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
What happened to the days where people showed accountability?
I cannot understand why one would allow a dog that's aggressive in close proximity to other dogs. That's just irresponsible, neglectful and stupid.
I am disgusted that this jerkoff didn't have the common decency to apologize. He had the audacity to yell when he was dead wrong.
The least he could've done was given you his number. He should be paying for that vet bell. I'd be looking for this jerk if I were you...

Posted on: 2008/6/25 2:37
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The day will come when everyone with a dog will need to take a video camera with them when they go for a walk to catch dog owners who are irresponsible.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 2:20
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hamilton Park Dog Run, pitbull attack

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So today in the dog run, I was there as usual to throw the ball for my dog, Rosie. And, there was a tan colored, female pitbull at the other end of the tennis court. As usual, I threw the ball for Rosie and when she went to fetch it, the pitbull viciously attacked her. Nice. So I tell the guy to get his f*ckin, vicious dog out of there. And he starts yelling at me. I am sorry, if your dog is aggressive, do not put into the pen with other dogs. It's that simple. The guy, young hispanic looking dude did not stick around long. And my friend who was on his way back from Basic, said that he saw the guy running away. So if you happen to see this duo, make sure you don't have your dog in there and call Animal control. (not that it has done anything to help in the past.)Anyway, Rosie is now staying overnight at the vet, and has to be put under to have stitches put in. It is expensive and traumatic. I am so sick of irresponsible people. UGH!

Posted on: 2008/6/25 1:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017