Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone have any inside info on when PATH will be running between Journal Square & Newark again? 'Until further notice' doesn't even give a hint. Well, unless the answer is never.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 23:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 11:39
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I'd just like to know whether it's legal to keep the turnstile gates at the Grove Street PATH station locked without any other available access to the platform stairs for those who can't go through the turnstiles with their strollers, etc. If there's a station agent on-site, shouldn't they be required to make themselves available to do this, if it's even legal to lock these gates at all?

Posted on: 2016/1/24 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Quote:

Moreinfo wrote:

Thank you for making this excellent point. Because I do have 2 kids that often nap in their stroller, and a double stroller that doesn't fit through the turnstile, and a bad back. Even if a passing stranger is available to help, which is not always the case, it's still hard to carry them up and down the escalator (scary, due to the weight) then lift them up and over the turnstile gate, then up and down the platform stairs. At the very least, if the gates were unchained, it would make things easier. Where is the station agent? MIA, almost always, it seems.

Doesn't matter if the station agent is present or not - they won't help. I had a friend who got off at the Grove Str station about 3 weeks ago, not realizing it doesn't have an elevator. She has a stroller, a 4-yr old, and quite a bit of grocery. Luckily, she actually found a station agent, and asked if he could help her get the stroller up the stairs. He actually told her "No", he cannot help because that's not on the list in his job description. God forbid these people to ever step over the line to do some good out of the kindness of their heart.

Please don't shoot the messenger, he was just following orders. There is a set of rules employees must not deviate from doing so can result in a disciplinary action. We live in a litigious society where liabilities are a concern. Will you take the brunt of the blame after the fact ?

That's what husbands and baby daddies are for after all.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Quote:

Moreinfo wrote:

Thank you for making this excellent point. Because I do have 2 kids that often nap in their stroller, and a double stroller that doesn't fit through the turnstile, and a bad back. Even if a passing stranger is available to help, which is not always the case, it's still hard to carry them up and down the escalator (scary, due to the weight) then lift them up and over the turnstile gate, then up and down the platform stairs. At the very least, if the gates were unchained, it would make things easier. Where is the station agent? MIA, almost always, it seems.

Doesn't matter if the station agent is present or not - they won't help. I had a friend who got off at the Grove Str station about 3 weeks ago, not realizing it doesn't have an elevator. She has a stroller, a 4-yr old, and quite a bit of grocery. Luckily, she actually found a station agent, and asked if he could help her get the stroller up the stairs. He actually told her "No", he cannot help because that's not on the list in his job description. God forbid these people to ever step over the line to do some good out of the kindness of their heart.

Please don't shoot the messenger, he was just following orders. There is a set of rules employees must not deviate from doing so can result in a disciplinary action. We live in a litigious society where liabilities are a concern. Will you take the brunt of the blame after the fact ?

Posted on: 2016/1/24 14:02
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Moreinfo wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/24 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
From their site..

such a strollers, and unenclosed conveyances, such as handtrucks, may be carried on an escalator only if they are emptied of their contents, folded into the smallest size possible, and both the conveyance and its contents may be safely and securely hand-carried on the escalator.

That is some awesomely selective quoting... Of course, instead of being intellectually honest and yielding the point that you were wrong in your contention, you try to selectively quote from their site. Plainly put, THERE IS NO RULE FOR PATH that instructs or requires riders to fold their strollers before entering the station. Strollers, as with other wheeled items, can be a hazard on escalators and the PA is limiting their exposure/liability by saying that strollers on escalators are not permitted unless folded.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 2:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I understand the reasoning behind folding a stroller and all that, however, sometimes it's not practical. And even not safe.

For me - I'd feel safer if my kid is in the stroller on the station platform. that's because he's strapped in, and can't go anywhere. Where as if he's out of the stroller, I need to hold the folder stroller with one hand, and the kid in the other. What if I have two kids? What if I also have bags of stuff (diaper bags, groceries, etc)? It can get very dangerous very fast (regardless whether the station is full or not).

Posted on: 2016/1/23 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
From their site..

such a strollers, and unenclosed conveyances, such as handtrucks, may be carried on an escalator only if they are emptied of their contents, folded into the smallest size possible, and both the conveyance and its contents may be safely and securely hand-carried on the escalator.

Ok, so this rule is just for riding the escalator. But your previous posts seemed to imply that babies in strollers were not allowed in the PATH system at all.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
From their site..

Do you know how to read? Your quote only pertains to escalators.

Here is what you originally said: "Babies should be taken out of strollers and strollers should be folded up before entering the PATH system. "

The PATH system is not the same as escalators.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I understand the reasoning behind folding a stroller and all that, however, sometimes it's not practical. And even not safe.

For me - I'd feel safer if my kid is in the stroller on the station platform. that's because he's strapped in, and can't go anywhere. Where as if he's out of the stroller, I need to hold the folder stroller with one hand, and the kid in the other. What if I have two kids? What if I also have bags of stuff (diaper bags, groceries, etc)? It can get very dangerous very fast (regardless whether the station is full or not).

Posted on: 2016/1/23 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
From their site..

Posted on: 2016/1/23 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I just checked their website, definitely not a PATH rule that strollers are to be folded. What a ridiculous idea that would be. And I don't like kids, don't have kids, kids are not my forte, but even I know that having a parent fold up a stroller is ridiculous.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Babies should be taken out of strollers and strollers should be folded up before entering the PATH system.

That's just your opinion. I often see mothers by themselves struggling while trying to push a stroller (or, sometimes carrying a baby in their arms) while also juggling whatever else they are toting. The PA doesn't make any easier for them by lacking elevators and working escalators at all stations. If being able to push a stroller makes their life easier, so be it. Show some compassion and empathy and lend them a hand if they need it. Trust me, they will really appreciate it and will thank you for it.

Its not an opinion its a rule on PATH and MTA and so are backpacks. What you see are selfish people who don't give a damn about you or me.

That is NOT a rule in the PATH system. If you think it is, provide proof, since you are the one making the claim.

You have a warped view of people and society. There is nothing selfish about a mother or father pushing a stroller through what is an already stressful environment. A little sympathy and help can brighten that person's day.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
yeah so you'll just put the baby on the clean concrete floor while you try to figure out how the hell to fold the stroller up.

That rule is silly. Has anyone tried navigating the PATH with a stroller, it is a completely unpleasant experience on all counts.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Babies should be taken out of strollers and strollers should be folded up before entering the PATH system.

That's just your opinion. I often see mothers by themselves struggling while trying to push a stroller (or, sometimes carrying a baby in their arms) while also juggling whatever else they are toting. The PA doesn't make any easier for them by lacking elevators and working escalators at all stations. If being able to push a stroller makes their life easier, so be it. Show some compassion and empathy and lend them a hand if they need it. Trust me, they will really appreciate it and will thank you for it.

Its not an opinion its a rule on PATH and MTA and so are backpacks. What you see are selfish people who don't give a damn about you or me.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/23 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/23 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Moreinfo wrote:
Re: the Grove Street PATH elevator construction. The gates for stroller access at the turnstiles are always locked, with no workers to unlock the gate around. Is this legal? Because lifting the stroller over that gate is an accident waiting to happen...

Don't lift the stroller over the turnstiles or gate! Strollers can go through the turnstiles by sliding the front half under the turnstile arm then doing a sort of wheelie, lifting the front wheels off the ground, and then sliding the back half of the stroller under the turnstile arm. I see a lot of people doing this maneuver fairly often.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 6:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Re: the Grove Street PATH elevator construction. The gates for stroller access at the turnstiles are always locked, with no workers to unlock the gate around. Is this legal? Because lifting the stroller over that gate is an accident waiting to happen...

Posted on: 2016/1/23 2:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The two exits along Greenwich Street the lead up to the memorial plaza in front of 3WTC are also completely unfinished. All of that could be remedied between now and March, but if that is the current state of the exits that we can actually see, I'd bet that the various exits that are out of our sight are also a long way from being commuter ready.

Those two exits on Greenwich St are actually the steps down to the new Cortlandt Street station for the 1 train. God knows when they're going to open that.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
WSJ: WTC PATH Transportation Hub to open in first week of March

I'm calling bullshit on this time frame right now...

They must have done a media blitz today, as a ton of regional publications and websites are reporting the same thing.

I was just in the WTC station on Sunday and it seemed very much like a construction zone nowhere near completion. March sounds SUPER ambitious. But, what do I know? It's only 7 years behind schedule (if going by Pataki's prediction of a 2009 completion!)

Completely agree. I assume by "opening" the hub, they will be closing the Vesey St temporary entrance, but the few permanent exits that we can see still have a looong way to go.

The exit out of the lobby of 4WTC at the corner of Liberty & Church has made no progress toward its final state. It still has exposed concrete floors with no paving, piping and ventilation still exposed in the ceiling, no tiling on the bare concrete walls, temporary lights strung up, building materials stacked all over the place.

The two exits along Greenwich Street the lead up to the memorial plaza in front of 3WTC are also completely unfinished. All of that could be remedied between now and March, but if that is the current state of the exits that we can actually see, I'd bet that the various exits that are out of our sight are also a long way from being commuter ready.

Also, no word in any of the articles about whether the passage connecting the PATH with the Fulton Center will be opening in March.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Meh, they'll undoubtedly open some new plywood-encased corridor and trumpet that as a major milestone. I'm convinced it will never be done - it's a performance art piece with people dressed up as National Guardsmen and construction workers.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

They must have done a media blitz today, as a ton of regional publications and websites are reporting the same thing.

I was just in the WTC station on Sunday and it seemed very much like a construction zone nowhere near completion. March sounds SUPER ambitious. But, what do I know? It's only 7 years behind schedule (if going by Pataki's prediction of a 2009 completion!)

Posted on: 2016/1/19 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/19 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
service back up, but with delays.

Posted on: 2016/1/4 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
service to/from 33rd and JSQ and 33rd and HOB suspended because of track condition, as of 2:04

no update yet on PATHalert

Posted on: 2016/1/4 19:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
What got me tonight (PATH suspended between Newark & Journal Square due to another signal failure) was that I waited on the train in Newark for over an hour & then we were all finally told to get off the train, that it was out of service. So, I went downstairs & got an Uber cab. I check my e-mail in the car & ?. train service had just resumed ? 10 minutes after they made us all get off the train.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 4:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
a flood of people coming out of the WTC PATH station this evening, as the loudspeaker announces no service between JSQ and Newark, due to a signal failure.

I get to track level, and the conductor shouts, "this train IS going to Newark!"

once again, the Port Authority's left hand has no idea what its right hand is doing.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 0:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Quote:
PATH installed 8 6x5 billboards permanently affixed to the middle of the Grove station. Unbelievable taking up so much space on an already crowded platform not to mention the reduced space for their two year elevator project. PATH "Tear down this wall !"

Isn't that where the second elevator is going to the track level?

I like the billboards. Gives you something to lean on while you wait.

Posted on: 2015/11/6 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
PATH installed 8 6x5 billboards permanently affixed to the middle of the Grove station. Unbelievable taking up so much space on an already crowded platform not to mention the reduced space for their two year elevator project. PATH "Tear down this wall !"

Isn't that where the second elevator is going to the track level?

Posted on: 2015/11/6 16:31

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017