Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I received 12 alerts from PATH and 2 from Notify NYC.

Notify NYC:

Notification issued on 10/2/15 at 11:47 PM. Due to a track condition, all PATH Train service is suspended between NY and NJ.

Notification issued 10/3/15 at 5:00 AM. Following an earlier PATH train suspension, service has resumed between NY and NJ. Expect residual delays.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
I'm subscribed to the alerts and got nothing.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 22:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

Sully wrote:
This doesn't sound good (as of 12:53 am - 10/3/2015)

Due to a track condition, PATH is operating 33rd-Hob, Nwk-Jsq and Wtc-Ex. Place only. NJT will cross honor PATH passengners.

I got to WTC at about 11.30pm last night only to be told all PATH service was "closed". Not suspended, or suffering delays, but closed. I asked the clueless guy whether 33rd-JSQ was running and of course he had no idea. Took the A train to PABT, waited an hour and then, without been told whether trains were operating or not, got on a JSQ train which terminated at Hoboken. So I walked down the Hudson walkway in the pouring rain to get back to home.

Even by PATH's pathetic weekend late night standards, last night was astoundingly frustrating. When a guy tells you to go to Penn Station and get NJ Transit to Secaucus, how exactly does that help anyone who lives in JC or Hoboken?

We spend a lot of time on this thread comparing PATH to the MTA, but the fact is there are a half dozen lines to take you into Brookly, Queens or the Bronx if one closes. Last night there was no ferry, bus or train option to get home. If we want to talk about why JC real estate is not approaching the same prices as Brooklyn Heights, its not the Jersey stigma, it is the risk of been stranded late at night.

There were plenty of yellow cab vultures lurking outide WTC, however, happily offering to take people home for $60.

Apologies for raging. Rant over.

You had a better night than this guy.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _c.html#incart_river_home

A man was found dead on the PATH tracks late last night in Jersey City, authorities said this morning.

The man was found just west of the Grove Street PATH station just after 11 p.m. last night, Port Authority police spokesman Joe Pentangelo said. It could not be confirmed if he was struck or how he died.

The PATH system was completely shut down at 11:15 p.m. and at 12:08 a.m. PATH resumed service from Hoboken to 33rd Street and between Journal Square and Newark.

Service was restored at 5:05 am. Pentangelo said the man's death is under investigation.

Guess that's the cause of the system shutdown.

The lack of communication sucks, but I do understand why it had to happen. Whenever a death happens, they close the whole area down for a long time.

This episode does illustrate that one glaring weakness for the DTJC real estate market is that if the PATH is shut down for whatever reason, you are completely fucked going to/from NYC. There is no alternative once the ferries close, which is rather early.

It is also why I think the massive new construction (I believe over 30,000 units, or approximately 60,000 people in JSQ and Grove) will completely overwhelm the already overcrowded PATH. Because it won't just affect late nights, you will have a very hard time getting on the trains at all unless you live in JSQ. I think this will serve to severely limit the DTJC real estate market unless there is some kind of solution.

Lack of communications sucks? Do you not subscribe to the PATH Alerts? There was a whole slew of them. They didn't say someone was killed, but then again, they don't need to point that out. They just said the system was down and that NJ transit was cross honoring.

Look, I'm no fan of PATH. I hate that ride every day. They cram us in and there's nothing we can do about it. However, in the case last night, they were very forth coming with info even on an early Saturday morning.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

Sully wrote:

Due to a track condition, PATH is operating 33rd-Hob, Nwk-Jsq and Wtc-Ex. Place only. NJT will cross honor PATH passengners.

I got to WTC at about 11.30pm last night only to be told all PATH service was "closed". Not suspended, or suffering delays, but closed. I asked the clueless guy whether 33rd-JSQ was running and of course he had no idea. Took the A train to PABT, waited an hour and then, without been told whether trains were operating or not, got on a JSQ train which terminated at Hoboken. So I walked down the Hudson walkway in the pouring rain to get back to home.

Even by PATH's pathetic weekend late night standards, last night was astoundingly frustrating. When a guy tells you to go to Penn Station and get NJ Transit to Secaucus, how exactly does that help anyone who lives in JC or Hoboken?

We spend a lot of time on this thread comparing PATH to the MTA, but the fact is there are a half dozen lines to take you into Brookly, Queens or the Bronx if one closes. Last night there was no ferry, bus or train option to get home. If we want to talk about why JC real estate is not approaching the same prices as Brooklyn Heights, its not the Jersey stigma, it is the risk of been stranded late at night.

There were plenty of yellow cab vultures lurking outide WTC, however, happily offering to take people home for $60.

A man was found dead on the PATH tracks late last night in Jersey City, authorities said this morning.

The man was found just west of the Grove Street PATH station just after 11 p.m. last night, Port Authority police spokesman Joe Pentangelo said. It could not be confirmed if he was struck or how he died.

The PATH system was completely shut down at 11:15 p.m. and at 12:08 a.m. PATH resumed service from Hoboken to 33rd Street and between Journal Square and Newark.

Service was restored at 5:05 am. Pentangelo said the man's death is under investigation.

Guess that's the cause of the system shutdown.

The lack of communication sucks, but I do understand why it had to happen. Whenever a death happens, they close the whole area down for a long time.

This episode does illustrate that one glaring weakness for the DTJC real estate market is that if the PATH is shut down for whatever reason, you are completely fucked going to/from NYC. There is no alternative once the ferries close, which is rather early.

It is also why I think the massive new construction (I believe over 30,000 units, or approximately 60,000 people in JSQ and Grove) will completely overwhelm the already overcrowded PATH. Because it won't just affect late nights, you will have a very hard time getting on the trains at all unless you live in JSQ. I think this will serve to severely limit the DTJC real estate market unless there is some kind of solution.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 17:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

Sully wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/3 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sully wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/3 16:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/3 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/30 12:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Frequency really is the main, glaring issue. Weekends and late nights are super crowded, And the trains routed through Hoboken will have to end soon, particularly with substantially more growth in JC which is happening.

33rd-JSQ should be at a bare minimum trains every 10 minutes, with every other train going through Hoboken... probably should be every 10 minutes with a separate every-20-minute line that goes through Hoboken. If they want to cut the frequency down from, say, 2am-5am, that should be fine, but as it stands, it's more crowded on nights and weekends than it is during rush hour, which is absurd.

Posted on: 2015/9/28 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Frequency really is the main, glaring issue. Weekends and late nights are super crowded, And the trains routed through Hoboken will have to end soon, particularly with substantially more growth in JC which is happening.

Posted on: 2015/9/28 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
Does a day go by when PATH doesn't break down in one way or another?

Of course.

The PATH works fine on most days. People just get hysterical over a 5 minute delay.

I've used a variety of transit systems over the years, and PATH is about the same as any other system in terms of delays, crowding and so forth.

Ehh, the PATH is about as good as some of the less-well-run MTA lines, but train frequency really needs to be improved across the board. There's no reason for trains to run every 15 minutes and be packed beyond capacity during times when they could easily run trains every 10 minutes. There's also no reason for all trains to run through Hoboken when 90% of the weekend demand is in JC/JSQ/Harrison/Newark.

If it's a staffing matter, how about they just eliminate the "door spotters", which don't seem to have any actual function whatsoever.

Posted on: 2015/9/28 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
Does a day go by when PATH doesn't break down in one way or another?

Of course.

The PATH works fine on most days. People just get hysterical over a 5 minute delay.

I've used a variety of transit systems over the years, and PATH is about the same as any other system in terms of delays, crowding and so forth.

Posted on: 2015/9/28 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
caj11 wrote: Where is Teddy these days, BTW? I haven't seen him in at least six months, maybe longer.

They may be talking about another con artist.

Overheard this morning:

PATH guy:
"I told him not on my train"
"He's using a cane now"
"He said it's not out of your pocket"

Posted on: 2015/9/28 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
With the Fulton Subway station redesign happening at the same time, the PATH trains should have been configured to better link up, with plenty of space to handle projected passenger demand to 2050 or beyond. Do we really need two landmark train stations so close to each other? Egotism.

When the PATH station is completed it will be connected to Fulton Transit center. Without going above ground you will be able to travel from the JZ tracks to the Winter Garden, and without going outside, you will be able to walk as far as the ferry terminal.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 14:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Does a day go by when PATH doesn't break down in one way or another? It's generally a car equipment or signal problem. The cars are pretty much brand new and haven't a lot of the signals been upgraded? Everyday I generally get multiple PATH alerts and tonight everyone was jammed in....again.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I think that when the entire concourse is open, that funneling of people will be spread out over a larger area. No one could possible have designed the current situation as a permanent thing. Then again, these are the people who installed pure white staircases that are already filthy after 2 months of use.

I had assumed as much, until I witnessed what happened yesterday. As I see it, the problem is that the platforms are not wide enough, so the escalators are dumping people right onto the path of people leaving trains. So, even if people waiting for trains are spread out over the entire length of the platform (which is a questionable assumption, as we often see that people congregate in particular areas) I think you will have flow issues when trains are very crowded and people are trying to get down via the escalators. Going down via stairs is less problematic because you can stop in place. If more than five people get held up trying to get from the escalators to the train platforms, you will get some bunching up. If the train is particularly crowded, I can see the bunching up getting dicey.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
WTC station at 6:25 PM yesterday:

The platform for Newark bound trains started to get really crowded, which my daughter and I noticed as we were riding the escalator down, only to find ourselves getting bunched up at the bottom/landing area, as a train had pulled in and a massive stream of people came out of it. Even my 13-year-old was able to assess the layout as a mess as she turned to me and remarked "this can get dangerous". There is very little space on the platforms to allow for the movement of people in and out of trains while lots of people are going up and down the stairs and escalators. Someone must have told the conductor to close the doors and take off immediately: "closing door" messages started to play as people were still getting out and doors started to close just as those who waited on the platform were starting to board.

Honestly, the experience was a bit disconcerting. What will happen on days when throngs of commuters, tourists and daytrippers start to converge during busy hours?

The worst infrastructure project in the nation! The Port Authority added nothing to capacity, and spent $4 billions on the 'Oculus', which is nothing more than an expensive piece of art. The PATH platforms are in a dangerous and silly layout. Design material choices are questionable at best - white marble is very slippery when wet! Someone is going to slide onto the tracks during winter.

With the Fulton Subway station redesign happening at the same time, the PATH trains should have been configured to better link up, with plenty of space to handle projected passenger demand to 2050 or beyond. Do we really need two landmark train stations so close to each other? Egotism.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
It'll be a real 9-yard enchilada then.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
1. when the whole kit and kaboodle opens, will the platforms be any cooler?

2. it's 14 years since 9/11 and still no visible secondary exits at the uptown stations - is this on anyone's agenda or do have to wait for a tragedy. Personally, if my trip involves a transfer to the subway, I use WTC. Uptown is just for places near the stations, like Citerella, etc.

3. did kit and kaboodle make you smile? I hope so, because then I've served a useful purpose today.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I think that when the entire concourse is open, that funneling of people will be spread out over a larger area. No one could possible have designed the current situation as a permanent thing. Then again, these are the people who installed pure white staircases that are already filthy after 2 months of use.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
WTC station at 6:25 PM yesterday:

The platform for Newark bound trains started to get really crowded, which my daughter and I noticed as we were riding the escalator down, only to find ourselves getting bunched up at the bottom/landing area, as a train had pulled in and a massive stream of people came out of it. Even my 13-year-old was able to assess the layout as a mess as she turned to me and remarked "this can get dangerous". There is very little space on the platforms to allow for the movement of people in and out of trains while lots of people are going up and down the stairs and escalators. Someone must have told the conductor to close the doors and take off immediately: "closing door" messages started to play as people were still getting out and doors started to close just as those who waited on the platform were starting to board.

Honestly, the experience was a bit disconcerting. What will happen on days when throngs of commuters, tourists and daytrippers start to converge during busy hours?

Posted on: 2015/8/5 9:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
But the money IS there. It was just used for a gigantic useless terminal at WTC that looks like a flying dove. This flying dove doesn't add any value at all to riders, yet cost a fortune, and that money could have made the Path more reliable. The Port Authority leadership needs to be ousted, or the Path needs to be taken away from them. Something. The misuse of funds is glaring and will bite us all in the ass.

I think it already has bitten us.

Not to mention, my memory is hazy on this one, but weren't there some instances of some highly connected developer(s) having the chance to buy or lease land from the Port Authority at well below the market values? I know that was discussed on here, but my memory is fuzzy on that one. It's like the Port Authority was giving away some valuable land near the World Trade Center, or letting someone rent it for next to nothing.

Yes, although my memory is hazy as well, I recall the Port Authority let one of their high execs purchase valuable land for $1. I think it was at the WTC in the 80s but I'm not positive. I also believe no one ever got in trouble for this.

So no, the solution is not that tired liberal refrain of keep raising taxes. It is in stopping the massive amounts of government waste, bloat, and corruption, and rediverting this money to proper use.

Not to mention Christie committed to spending $1.5 billion to extend the Newark line to Newark airport. This will likely rise to $3 billion by the time it's all said and done. A colossal waste of money, considering you can get off at Newark Penn Station already and take a train to the airport. And if you are in NY, you can go to Manhattan Penn and take a direct train to the airport.

Divert this $1.5-$3 billion to upgrading critical infrastructure, not pissing it away.

I think you are both confused and mis-remembering the matter of the name and trademark of "World Trade Center", which was sold to a "non profit organization" headed by a former PA executive for $10 (!!!) and they license the name back to the PA (and many other places around the world) for an initial fee of 200K and an annual fee of 10K. Talk about sweetheart deals!!!

Adding insult to injury, this so called non profit is (was?) demanding free office space in the new WTC in exchange for continued use of the WTC name for which the PA is already paying their yearly fee. It's almost impossible to believe...

Yes, you are right, I was confused.

But the reality almost seems even worse. Not only did no one get in trouble for this blatant corruption, it is continuing because they want free office space!

Yup... fully agreed! It was later discovered that this former executive, who recently passed away, was getting paid over 600K annually by the "not for profit" group for doing the equivalent of one hour of work per week. In other words, that not-for-profit was just a shell organization to collect money on licensing a trademark that was acquired in a very questionable deal and was apparently just taking all of that money and paying it to its leaders. Just more PA shenanigans.

Posted on: 2015/8/4 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
But the money IS there. It was just used for a gigantic useless terminal at WTC that looks like a flying dove. This flying dove doesn't add any value at all to riders, yet cost a fortune, and that money could have made the Path more reliable. The Port Authority leadership needs to be ousted, or the Path needs to be taken away from them. Something. The misuse of funds is glaring and will bite us all in the ass.

Not to mention, my memory is hazy on this one, but weren't there some instances of some highly connected developer(s) having the chance to buy or lease land from the Port Authority at well below the market values? I know that was discussed on here, but my memory is fuzzy on that one. It's like the Port Authority was giving away some valuable land near the World Trade Center, or letting someone rent it for next to nothing.

Yes, although my memory is hazy as well, I recall the Port Authority let one of their high execs purchase valuable land for $1. I think it was at the WTC in the 80s but I'm not positive. I also believe no one ever got in trouble for this.

So no, the solution is not that tired liberal refrain of keep raising taxes. It is in stopping the massive amounts of government waste, bloat, and corruption, and rediverting this money to proper use.

Not to mention Christie committed to spending $1.5 billion to extend the Newark line to Newark airport. This will likely rise to $3 billion by the time it's all said and done. A colossal waste of money, considering you can get off at Newark Penn Station already and take a train to the airport. And if you are in NY, you can go to Manhattan Penn and take a direct train to the airport.

Divert this $1.5-$3 billion to upgrading critical infrastructure, not pissing it away.

I think you are both confused and mis-remembering the matter of the name and trademark of "World Trade Center", which was sold to a "non profit organization" headed by a former PA executive for $10 (!!!) and they license the name back to the PA (and many other places around the world) for an initial fee of 200K and an annual fee of 10K. Talk about sweetheart deals!!!

Adding insult to injury, this so called non profit is (was?) demanding free office space in the new WTC in exchange for continued use of the WTC name for which the PA is already paying their yearly fee. It's almost impossible to believe...

Yes, you are right, I was confused.

But the reality almost seems even worse. Not only did no one get in trouble for this blatant corruption, it is continuing because they want free office space!

Posted on: 2015/8/4 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/4 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/3 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I hear you, but any new station would have cost billions, and if there was any place in America to spend that kind of money on world-class architecture for its own sake, that was probably it. A less ambitious plan would probably have still required impossible sums of money to fix decades of neglect throughout the system.

Posted on: 2015/8/3 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Signal failures on the NWK-WTC line. Westbound train sat at JSQ for 10 minutes then the announcement was made that the train would terminate in Harrison. Figured I'd get an Uber from Harrison to Newark. Train continued to sit at JSQ. 5 minutes, 10 minutes. Said screw this and ran upstairs to get an Uber to Newark.

Missed my connecting NJtransit train by 60 seconds (of course that train left on time, Murphys Law).

I allowed a fucking hour to go from Grove Street to Newark, and it was a fail. This system has gone from reliable to absolutely shameful. How can we make our voices heard, legitimately?

The worst part is...what the hell were they doing when they shut this line down for a year? Wasn't it to fix the damn signal problems? Port Authority needs to have the Path forcibly taken out of their control.

I experienced the same thing during the winter when the signals froze. I don't think PATH has control over these signals or tracks these are owned by AMTRAK.

Posted on: 2015/8/3 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/3 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/3 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
I had a similar experience on Saturday and saw that work was being performed on the Hackensack River bridge, where one of the tracks was occupied by a service car.

PATH is certainly deserving of criticism, but their problem is symptomatic of our neglected and failing infrastructure throughout the nation. It doesn?t matter who hears our voices, the solution to the problem is money that isn?t there because of taxes we don?t want to pay, and that our government doesn't want to allocate.

Posted on: 2015/8/3 20:18

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017