Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   3 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/12 3:28
Group:
Registered Users
Knife guy is Apprehended!!!!!

Posted on: 2015/3/4 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

my2cents wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

This happened on a packed train! How didn't the person not get surrounded and subdued? How did he get away?

Everyone on the train was too busy playing Candy Crush Soda to notice anything had happened.
\\

I was going to say the exact thing!!! - Most everyone on the train is clueless to whats going on. They are playing games or watching videos on their phones, listening to to their tunes are reading/writing emails / texts.....

Because we're....soft. Weak. We've been trained to assume that "the authorities" will handle things, so we just stare at our phones.

Not to go on a rant, but this puts me in mind of my chubby middle-aged Facebook friends who scream about how "we" should go kick ISIS's ass. Um, who's "we", dude? You mean those 22-year-old enlistees? Maybe "we" should get their opinion first.

Teach me how to be tough like you, bro.

Gladly. Just say when. 90% of the time, taking charge of a situation consists of simply taking charge.

Thanks for the step by step tutorial. I'm sure your experience in disarming knife wielders comes in handy too, though.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
PATH communication is horrible. A 3 year old communicates better than the PATH.

If the ferry were to lower their rates in half, I am sure they would increase revenue by 800%.

The trains are so crowded during rush hour that it is INHUMANE. In fact, I am certain that pigs that are transported to slaughter are treated more humanely than people during rush hour path trains.

I hope the ferry raises prices, it is getting more crowded. During rush hour the ferries are SRO. They should also charge extra for people with strollers.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
PATH communication is horrible. A 3 year old communicates better than the PATH.

If the ferry were to lower their rates in half, I am sure they would increase revenue by 800%.

The trains are so crowded during rush hour that it is INHUMANE. In fact, I am certain that pigs that are transported to slaughter are treated more humanely than people during rush hour path trains.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

my2cents wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

This happened on a packed train! How didn't the person not get surrounded and subdued? How did he get away?

Everyone on the train was too busy playing Candy Crush Soda to notice anything had happened.
\\

I was going to say the exact thing!!! - Most everyone on the train is clueless to whats going on. They are playing games or watching videos on their phones, listening to to their tunes are reading/writing emails / texts.....

Because we're....soft. Weak. We've been trained to assume that "the authorities" will handle things, so we just stare at our phones.

Not to go on a rant, but this puts me in mind of my chubby middle-aged Facebook friends who scream about how "we" should go kick ISIS's ass. Um, who's "we", dude? You mean those 22-year-old enlistees? Maybe "we" should get their opinion first.

Gladly. Just say when. 90% of the time, taking charge of a situation consists of simply taking charge.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
We need to relax our antiquated concealed carry laws =( Seriously, how are we supposed to defend ourselves against knife and gun wielding madmen? We are in a nanny state where the people we trust with our safety are not available.

Imagine the mayhem though as a small % of people in the train car pull their guns. After a few minutes, who would even know for sure who the madman is.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

my2cents wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

\\

Posted on: 2015/3/4 17:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
What a sh it show last eve at the beginning of the delays. 33rd station had 3 trains fully packed, and the platform was fully packed. When the first JSQ train (my train) finally got the ok move, NO ONE ELSE was able to get on from 23rd-Christopher. The conductor had to lie about the next train being empty to stop people trying to jam themselves in.

Little did they know that all following trains would be fully packed as well!! LOL? SO GLAD MY STOP IS 33RD! I WAS CHILLIN IN A SEAT CANDY CRUSHING!!!

Posted on: 2015/3/4 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Let me get this straight:
"A man was stabbed on a packed PATH train Tuesday evening, Port Authority police said.
The attacker pulled out a knife during an argument with another rider and plunged it into the 38-year-old victim?s chest as the crowded southbound train was approaching the 23rd Street station just before 6 p.m., officials said.
The assailant then exited the train when it pulled into the station and ran off.
The victim was rushed to Bellevue Hospital in stable condition and was expected to survive."

okay, tough guy. you start subduing the knife-wielding madman. we'll back you up, we promise.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

my2cents wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

\\

Posted on: 2015/3/4 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I took the train back around 6:00 from WTC, and they had announced the delays on the line due to a car equipment problem. As it happened, a train came in just as I went downstairs. It was packed, but no worse than typical rush hour.

I happened to be next to the conductor. He explained that there was a relatively minor equipment problem in one car that required the train to stop and for the conductor or engineer to go out and fix. Some guy on the train started screaming about the delay, and when they started the train again....he pulled the emergency brake in a fit of rage. That's what really caused the delay, because they had to make sure this person wasn't going to do anything else crazy, and arrange for police to arrest him.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 5:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 22:25
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully the perp was stupid enough to have a cellphone that was on.

All it takes is LE to get their hands on transmission records for all phones that pinged into cell networks within a pretty close timeframe (under 30 seconds) of when he exited the station and probably could narrow it down to one exact match if the phone was last connected to a network somewhere around Herald Square within 20 minutes beforehand.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 4:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

\\

Posted on: 2015/3/4 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2015/3/4 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Let me get this straight:
"A man was stabbed on a packed PATH train Tuesday evening, Port Authority police said.
The attacker pulled out a knife during an argument with another rider and plunged it into the 38-year-old victim?s chest as the crowded southbound train was approaching the 23rd Street station just before 6 p.m., officials said.
The assailant then exited the train when it pulled into the station and ran off.
The victim was rushed to Bellevue Hospital in stable condition and was expected to survive."

Posted on: 2015/3/4 3:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Stabbing on train near 23rd Street this evening. No mention on NJ.com. Hopefully victim will recover.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/03/man-stabbed-aboard-busy-path-train/

Posted on: 2015/3/4 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Would be interesting to learn the circumstances behind this stabbing. The second article just says the victim didn't know the stabber. Was it completely random? Was there a loud argument beforehand? Caused by how utterly packed the trains are?

And many of the other service delays seem unrelated. Really ridiculous that such a tiny subway system has this many problems. A "car equipment problem" independently occurring on all four PATH lines within an hour?

Posted on: 2015/3/4 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
don't they have cctv cameras at the entrance and exits to the station. if not, they should.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
MAN STABBED ON PATH TRAIN

WABC
7:05PM
A man was stabbed on a PATH train in Chelsea Tuesday evening.

It happened as the train was moving between 33rd and 23rd streets southbound just before 6 p.m.

The 38-year-old victim was stabbed in the chest taken to Bellevue Hospital in an unknown condition.

Suspect fled once the PATH train stopped at the 23rd Street Station.

The suspect is described as having a goatee and wearing a tan coat, dark pants and a black knit hat.

http://7online.com/news/man-stabbed-on-path-train/542733/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/03/0 ... rain-during-evening-rush/

---------------------------

What a commute!

3/3/2015 6:17:44 PM
New Jersey Transit will cross honor PATH passengers until 6:30PM.

3/3/2015 5:49:42 PM
Due to a disabled train near Grove Street all lines are operating with delays with the exception of HOB-33.

3/3/2015 5:45:52 PM
New Jersey Transit is cross honoring PATH passengers.

3/3/2015 5:14:59 PM
Due to a car equipment problem, service on the HOB-33 line is operating with delays.

3/3/2015 5:14:23 PM
Due to a car equipment problem, service on the JSQ-33 line is operating with delays.

3/3/2015 5:12:25 PM
Due to a car equipment problem, service on the HOB-WTC line is operating with delays.

3/3/2015 4:34:23 PM
Due to a car equipment problem, service on the NWK-WTC line is operating with delays.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
So you guys see what I'm saying. It's a small subway line that crosses a river, why do we need a massive, extraordinarily expensive, nice looking terminal?

In all honesty, would any of us have any problem with them keeping the "temporary" WTC terminal and spending the $4 Billion (Billion!!) dollars on:

- Increased frequency of trains so we are not smashed into JSQ-bound trains at 7:30 pm while the Hoboken trains provide seats for everyone

- Improved infrastructure and signal system so that trains can achieve better than a 2 mph crawl

- Extended platforms on all stations

Seriously, aside from Fulop, who is holding the Port Authority accountable for ANY (literally any) decisions they are making? I mean these are big, huge, expensive decisions.

The WTC terminal and also the Harrison station, which I believe is slated for expensive improvements. I am one of the most aesthetically oriented people you will meet, but even I say who the heck cares about aesthetics at this point, just improve the service! Does anybody at the Port Authority understand the increase in Path ridership that is on the way in the next 10 years?

Hey, the construction companies/developers gotta get paiiiiiiiid, man.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
That's why I'm wondering ... what problem does this $4 Billion terminal solve?

You are forgetting our collective minds post 9/11.

Here is a nice overview from awhile ago,
http://observer.com/2013/05/pathfail/

I imagine a lot of this is also because of the sunk cost fallacy.

Fascinating article. The two phrases in there "spiritual dimension" and "metaphysical element" probably answer Tommy's question about why the extravagant expense. There has to be something for the tourists from Nebraska to coo at when they come to the WTC and get that feeling of patriotic pride stirring.

As for the NY & NJ commuters who work at or pass through the site every day and whose train fares and tunnel tolls actually fund the reconstruction of the entire site, giving them two extra cars on each PATH train or improved signaling to allow trains to run closer together, that ain't gonna cut it if all the PA cares about is an inspiring structure that will form a lump in the throats of middle Americans that will visit the WTC once in their lives and then go home and tell their friends what a great job the master planners have done.
perfectly well put. I don't think any of us in this area actually care at all for this stupid building, and everyone I know wishes they had spent that money on something more useful. The Calatrava as rust all over it now too - not sure if that's going to be a constant problem for cleaning or just a construction thing.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
On the issue of signalling, the NWK-WTC line has had this new and improved signalling system installed during the past year as part of the Sandy renovations, and JSQ-HOB-33RD is going to be next sometime soon, but does anyone know how closely trains can run behind each other?

One major advantage the London Underground has over the NYC Subway is that during rush hour in Zone 1 (center of the tube network) trains follow on from one another just a minute apart - and often times the next train arrives at the platform less than 60 seconds after the previous one has departed. I'm surprised that NYC has not been able to replicate the same frequency of service.

When things are running smoothly at Grove Street in the morning rush, WTC and 33RD trains generally alternate running about 60-90 seconds apart, which is pretty good going IMO - on the rare days when there are no screw ups.

Does anyone have any information on the increase in service frequency we can expect once all three PATH lines are upgraded?

Posted on: 2015/3/3 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Fascinating article. The two phrases in there "spiritual dimension" and "metaphysical element" probably answer Tommy's question about why the extravagant expense. There has to be something for the tourists from Nebraska to coo at when they come to the WTC and get that feeling of patriotic pride stirring.

As for the NY & NJ commuters who work at or pass through the site every day and whose train fares and tunnel tolls actually fund the reconstruction of the entire site, giving them two extra cars on each PATH train or improved signaling to allow trains to run closer together, that ain't gonna cut it if all the PA cares about is an inspiring structure that will form a lump in the throats of middle Americans that will visit the WTC once in their lives and then go home and tell their friends what a great job the master planners have done.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/3 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
So you guys see what I'm saying. It's a small subway line that crosses a river, why do we need a massive, extraordinarily expensive, nice looking terminal?

In all honesty, would any of us have any problem with them keeping the "temporary" WTC terminal and spending the $4 Billion (Billion!!) dollars on:

- Increased frequency of trains so we are not smashed into JSQ-bound trains at 7:30 pm while the Hoboken trains provide seats for everyone

- Improved infrastructure and signal system so that trains can achieve better than a 2 mph crawl

- Extended platforms on all stations

Seriously, aside from Fulop, who is holding the Port Authority accountable for ANY (literally any) decisions they are making? I mean these are big, huge, expensive decisions.

The WTC terminal and also the Harrison station, which I believe is slated for expensive improvements. I am one of the most aesthetically oriented people you will meet, but even I say who the heck cares about aesthetics at this point, just improve the service! Does anybody at the Port Authority understand the increase in Path ridership that is on the way in the next 10 years?

Posted on: 2015/3/3 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
A blurb on the far from complete WTC hub: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/03 ... tc_transportation_hub.php

Is anybody actually excited about this? Here's my question - what problem does this hub solve? Why was there a need to build this lavish structure? Taking a step back ... why couldn't the Path terminate at the newly built Fulton Center, a block away?? Would have saved multiple Billions of dollars, and made transferring to the MTA system very easy.

Seriously, why is this hub even being built?

I won't even try to defend the outrageous cost of the new WTC Hub, but as to why the tracks have not been extended to the Fulton Center, a couple of issues spring to mind:

Any extension from the current track location would have to pass over or under the 1 train and the N,R train, then new tunnels and a station would have to be dug under the existing structures to the east of Church Street and west of Broadway - Century 21, Millennium Hotel, etc. And since the PATH tracks are way deeper than the 4,5 trains, the station would have had to be excavated underneath the busiest subway line in the country as trains continued to rumble overhead. Also, the PA does not own that land, so it would have to buy it/lease it from the MTA. For the sake of a 5 minute walk, I don't think its worth it.

If they were going to spend $4 billion on anything, they should have hooked the PATH up to the 6 train at Brooklyn Bridge for a one seat ride from Newark to the Bronx, as explained in detail here. Yes there would have been engineering challenges to overcome, but it would have only needed 3,000 feet of tunneling to make the connection between the two.

But the PATH train is hemorrhaging money and the MTA is already chronically underfunded in maintaining its aging system, so no one wanted it to happen.

Instead the PA spent $4 billion on a shopping mall with a train station underneath it. Personally though, I think the guy running the Hudson News stand at WTC seems to be adequately meeting the retail needs of most commuters.

Thanks, this is good info. And yes, it boggles my mind that they spent $4billion on a train station used for people to go back and forth from New Jersey. (Required disclaimer: Relax, everyone, I've lived in NJ all my life. I love NJ and Jersey City. But $4 billion to go there??)

Posted on: 2015/3/3 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
A blurb on the far from complete WTC hub: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/03 ... tc_transportation_hub.php

Is anybody actually excited about this? Here's my question - what problem does this hub solve? Why was there a need to build this lavish structure? Taking a step back ... why couldn't the Path terminate at the newly built Fulton Center, a block away?? Would have saved multiple Billions of dollars, and made transferring to the MTA system very easy.

I won't even try to defend the outrageous cost of the new WTC Hub, but as to why the tracks have not been extended to the Fulton Center, a couple of issues spring to mind:

Any extension from the current track location would have to pass over or under the 1 train and the N,R train, then new tunnels and a station would have to be dug under the existing structures to the east of Church Street and west of Broadway - Century 21, Millennium Hotel, etc. And since the PATH tracks are way deeper than the 4,5 trains, the station would have had to be excavated underneath the busiest subway line in the country as trains continued to rumble overhead. Also, the PA does not own that land, so it would have to buy it/lease it from the MTA. For the sake of a 5 minute walk, I don't think its worth it.

If they were going to spend $4 billion on anything, they should have hooked the PATH up to the 6 train at Brooklyn Bridge for a one seat ride from Newark to the Bronx, as explained in detail here. Yes there would have been engineering challenges to overcome, but it would have only needed 3,000 feet of tunneling to make the connection between the two.

But the PATH train is hemorrhaging money and the MTA is already chronically underfunded in maintaining its aging system, so no one wanted it to happen.

Instead the PA spent $4 billion on a shopping mall with a train station underneath it. Personally though, I think the guy running the Hudson News stand at WTC seems to be adequately meeting the retail needs of most commuters.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah but is an underpass from one expensive transit center to another expensive transit center greater in value than having PATH terminate directly at the Fulton Center?

In other words, what functionality does this costly Path terminal offer? Aside from raising the ego of the architect?

So so so wasteful. And we, the customers/riders, ultimately lose. Imagine $4 Billion invested in increased frequency of trains, signal repairs, platform extensions, and infrastructure improvements?

Posted on: 2015/3/2 20:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/14 1:47
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
There will be an underpass. See here:
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=351016

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/2 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/2 19:47

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017