Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City and Hiroshima (after the atomic bomb)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
JC is more like Atkanta, Post Sherman,?but with, of course, way more Philipinos.

Dont worry too much about the hystrionic offense people take at comparisons between JC and other places, atsushi. People on this board do dearly loved to feel the rightous anger.

Posted on: 2008/6/18 11:16
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
BM - I think it's too late to edit, but thanks for the tip.

It is strange that they scrolled to the right, because I aligned every one of them to the left, but left a space between each picture's url.

Oh well, maybe webbie can mop up.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Hey injcsince81, your post of pics is making this topic scroll to the far right.

Suggestion: edit your post using tags below for your images exactly like listed below except remove the spaces between the [img] tag and url and it will correct the wide scrolling:

Resized ImageResized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/9 18:44
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Well, having been born in Poland, I moved to Jersey City because it reminded me of Warsaw, bombed-out by the Germans in WWII.

So I absolutely feel you, Atsushi.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/9 18:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
The stealth UPS man!!

So True!

I thought it was just me. They did it 2 days in a row....

My intercom comes to my cell phone. There was no way "I rung the bell, but no one answered"... Such a BS.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 17:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users
My favorite things about JC:

In my neighborhood, there are moments when everything seems to just stop. No trucks, no people on the street, no car alarms or sirens, not even the whizz of a bicycle. Just silence.

The people.

Things seem to run at a different pace than in NYC. (slower) Which I prefer. Even though at times it can seem very crowded and full of traffic, there are also times of emptiness.

We have Liberty State Park where you can fly kites any day of the year because it is always windy there.

Little India.

The artists.

2nd st. bakery

All the owner-operated businesses around town, they are truly corageous people and I shop locally for most everything.

The 14th St. Salvation Army

Extra Supermarket on MLK Blvd.

The waterfront at Exchange Pl.

and many more......

My least favorite things:

The stealth UPS man who never rings my bell, but always leaves a slip...

the Bergen Ave. Bus, it costs the most $1.50 and never has AC, not even today in a heat wave....

Posted on: 2008/6/9 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Why have I chosen JC? It's because I have never experienced so called urban life style, and I want to experience it for a year or two. And because I still work for a company that is located in Somerset (Bound Brook is the nearest train station). Considering the commute time, I really don't think I should cross the Hudson river, and also, I feel that moving to NYC is too big of a leap from a life in a suburb for me.

I have chosen JC because it is the transition between the city and the suburb. If I like it, I will stay longer. If not, I can always go back to my life in a suburb. So, I consider this an experiment.

So, what do you like most about living in JC?
Atsushi

The access to places in the surrounding area, also I was born raised here so I am used to the area and what I have a taste for is right here at my finget tips...So far.
As far as an urban area is concereded for you you could have tried Newark, Perth Amboy, Linden, or other parts of J.C.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I am from Japan, and I have visited Hiroshima. But I really don't have any connection. My comment was actually initially made by someone who I corresponded in email. She said that parts of JC remind her of Hiroshima after the atomic bomb. Then, I started to explore parts of JC. Some are very nice, and others didn't look very nice. And I noticed that there are many empty lots that do remind of the pictures of destroyed buildings in Hiroshima, just like my correspondece was describing. The expression kind of struck me funny, so that's why I posted it here.

I do like JC, and other wise, why would I move there? And I would like it to become lively again. So, I've wondered why nothing has been done to these empty lots. Someone has provided me with a few reasons, and I understood.

Anyway, are there people who hate living in JC? Perhaps, some people have no choice but to live there. If that's the case, that's too bad.

Why have I chosen JC? It's because I have never experienced so called urban life style, and I want to experience it for a year or two. And because I still work for a company that is located in Somerset (Bound Brook is the nearest train station). Considering the commute time, I really don't think I should cross the Hudson river, and also, I feel that moving to NYC is too big of a leap from a life in a suburb for me.

I have chosen JC because it is the transition between the city and the suburb. If I like it, I will stay longer. If not, I can always go back to my life in a suburb. So, I consider this an experiment.

So, what do you like most about living in JC?

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/6/9 16:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/2 23:04
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Hi all,

Have you ever thought that there are many places (lots) in Jersey City that strikingly resemble Hiroshima after the atomic bomb was dropped? It's not just one or two places. It's everywhere. It's kind of depressing, isn't it?

Atsushi

Perceptive, Atsushi. Didn't you start another thread on the trouble you have making friends? Atsushi, the problem may not be the place you live. I know you had issues making friends in suburbia - something tells me it isn't going to get much better here.

Which building are you moving into?

Posted on: 2008/6/9 16:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to JC. I am curious Atsushi, are you a survivor (or your parents) survivors of Hiroshima? My grandfather was there in the aftermath and he never really spoke about it. I can only assume its because of the devastation he was witness to.

There is this sort of urban beauty about JC that appeals to many, myself included, that despite urban decay/renewal/blight/plight/etc... no where else really feels like home...Been here 15 years, from NY. But parents & grandparents & great-grandparents all born & raised here in JC.

I would say the closest comparison to Hiroshima I would make happened on the other side of the river on 9/11. No joke, we here in JC felt the pain that day & it continues. I did not personally lose someone that day, but I feel loss. I feel sorry for newcomers to JC who never saw the twin towers in the backdrop of every view.

Anyways, don't mean to be a downer, I was just curious about your comparison and where its coming from.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/9 15:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
You must be real fun at parties. "No offense, but you know your wife looks like my brothers bulldog".

I laughed out loud when I read this. Love it. Very funny and also very true. Good one, Brewster.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Please don't get me wrong. I do like Jersey City, and that's why I've decided to move there. So many empty lots have pile of rubbles that remind me of the pictures of the buildings destroyed by the atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
Atsushi

Because it reminds you of home? You would haved loved the South Bronx back in the day, your kind of town.

Resized Image
Resized Image

PICS
MORE PICS

Posted on: 2008/6/9 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Thanks for your support on this, people. Obviously, there is a fine line between offensive and not offensive. Everyone has a different definition of that boundry. I don't want to force my definition on anyone nor do I want to offend people unnecessary, but I examined what I had written with my common sense and best judgement. I really don't believe that my comment was offensive.

Again, I really believe that there are people who like to be offended. I feel sorry for people who are overly sensitive. They must be offended from left to right every day! That's no fun. But what can I do? I have really asked if my comment could have been offensive, and for the life of me, I just cannot see how it could have been.

Atsushi
PS. I am indeed Japanese, believe it or not.

Hmm, you come on a board and suggest to people that their city resembles the aftermath of a nuclear attack, and you're surprised that some take umbrage? There's wide variety of opinions here about the past and current states of the city, but that was bound to raise some ire. There are more delicate ways to inquire about JC's industrial legacy.

You must be real fun at parties. "No offense, but you know your wife looks like my brothers bulldog".

Posted on: 2008/6/9 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
http://www.infiltration.org/home.html

I would liken parts of JC and its city services to a Third World country. Here is an interesting site about exploring old and abandoned places.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Hi all,

Have you ever thought that there are many places (lots) in Jersey City that strikingly resemble Hiroshima after the atomic bomb was dropped? It's not just one or two places. It's everywhere. It's kind of depressing, isn't it?

Atsushi

It used to greatly.

I loved those days. There is a natural beauty to decayed buildings/infrastructure.

What disappoints me about Jersey City is the loss of the downtown area that looked post-apocalyptic.

Anyone know of other cities that look like JC used to? Abundant non-ancient ruins.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your support on this, people. Obviously, there is a fine line between offensive and not offensive. Everyone has a different definition of that boundry. I don't want to force my definition on anyone nor do I want to offend people unnecessary, but I examined what I had written with my common sense and best judgement. I really don't believe that my comment was offensive.

Again, I really believe that there are people who like to be offended. I feel sorry for people who are overly sensitive. They must be offended from left to right every day! That's no fun. But what can I do? I have really asked if my comment could have been offensive, and for the life of me, I just cannot see how it could have been.

Atsushi
PS. I am indeed Japanese, believe it or not.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
My comment on this topic must have offended a few people. But I've decided not to apologize. Many people are offended too easily these days.

First of all, comments like that, are not meant to be personal. And I believe that people who are easily offended by comments like that, usually like to be offended. That's why they are overly sensitive.

It was just my observation and my impression of parts of JC that I have visited, which I should be free to talk about here or anywhere for that matter.

Anyway, if some people didn't like what I had said, so be it.

Atsushi

Good on ya! You'll do just fine around here. Welcome.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
wait, you guys are trying to reign in the hyperbole of JClist posts?!

it's gonna be an awfully quiet summer here....

Posted on: 2008/6/8 22:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
And I believe that people who are easily offended by comments like that, usually like to be offended. That's why they are overly sensitive.

Welcome to JClist. I myself have been unduly chastised for purely innocuous comments on poisoning dogs and the pope.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

But I've decided not to apologize....

Atsushi

You can't possibly be Japanese...

Posted on: 2008/6/8 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My comment on this topic must have offended a few people. But I've decided not to apologize. Many people are offended too easily these days.

First of all, comments like that, are not meant to be personal. And I believe that people who are easily offended by comments like that, usually like to be offended. That's why they are overly sensitive.

It was just my observation and my impression of parts of JC that I have visited, which I should be free to talk about here or anywhere for that matter.

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/6/8 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
Once again a GREAT JCList thread.

140,000+ people died immediately during the attack on Hiroshima. ONE HUNDRED FORTY THOUSAND. Practically instantaneously. The city was basically wiped off the map.

Countless more died from after effects.

You compare JC to Hiroshima?

I suppose by that measure Bayonne is Dresden?

I think the estimates of instantaneous deaths were about half what you stated. The 140,000 figure corresponds to deaths by the end of 1945, I think

In terms of instantaneous deaths, the bombing of Tokyo is believed to exceed that of Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined at about 100,000 although estimates vary.

I have seen estimates of the deaths due to the fire bombing of Dresden as high as 200-300,000 although more recent estimates have considerably reduced those numbers

Posted on: 2008/6/7 2:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devbeep wrote:
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:

140,000+ people died immediately during the attack on Hiroshima. ONE HUNDRED FORTY THOUSAND. Practically instantaneously. The city was basically wiped off the map.

By this logic, Bayonne would be Nagasaki.

Looks like you need to go back to the history books, young son.

Another city, another massive amount of civilian casualties. Hence it would just as offensive to compare Bayonne with Dresden. Seems to me that Bdlaw has a pretty good grasp on a historical analogy. However, I suspect you wouldn't care History professor Devbeep.

Bombing of Dresden

So it goes.......

Posted on: 2008/6/7 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/19 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
And that is what makes jersey cityites so special, they are passionate, lovers, gardners, hard workers,peace lovers, good critics, comedians, animal lovers, fun, concerned, so much compassion, diverse, creative...did I miss something?...smart...

The only way I would like to see Jersey City compared to Hiroshima would be the people, being able to survive through one of the most horrible disaster's of all time.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:

Don't like it, then go back to weirdjc.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 23:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Please don't get me wrong. I do like Jersey City, and that's why I've decided to move there. But I've wondered why so many empty lots have pile of rubbles that remind me of the pictures of the buildings destroyed by the atomic bomb in Hiroshima. I've taken many trips to JC prior to my decision, and it seems that nothing is being done to these empty lots. Why are things not happening in JC as much as they should?

Atsushi

They're atomic piles, the result of too many nuclear families living here.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Have you ever thought that there are many places (lots) in Jersey City that strikingly resemble Hiroshima after the atomic bomb was dropped?

No.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Bayonne looked a lot like Dresden after the aliens attacked in War of the Worlds

Posted on: 2008/6/6 17:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:

By this logic, Bayonne would be Nagasaki.

Looks like you need to go back to the history books, young son.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 17:29

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017