Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Re: Where are all the BJ shopping carts coming from?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
I call BJ's and tell them everytime I see a cart on the street to come pick it up. If alot of us did that we could keep the pressure on themand keep them honest with their cart pick-ups. I live on 4th and Monmouth, the Italian Village area, I think it's called. If we had a strong resident association I'd say we go to our local meeting and address it there. Since it is a problem with a few areas of JC getting each areas resident association on board would be a start. Or as I said, maybe bringing the issue up to Councilman Fulop could work. He could probably help formulate a plan to combat this at least.

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/5/29 19:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/21 16:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JimmyB wrote:
Weird, JimA on 2nd and Brunswick and JimmyB on 3rd and Brunswick. Small world!

Small world with lots of carts!

Yes JimmyB, lots & lots of carts. They also seem to make the rounds during the week. one day its Brunswick & the next Monmouth and then over on first. You never know where there going to end up and I've never seen anyone but the JCIA pick up the carts. It must cost BJ's a fortune.

Jaah, We do need to make this an issue with BJ's & the Reporter who would you talk to to?

Posted on: 2008/5/29 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JimA wrote:
I'm at Brunswick & 2nd and find the carts everywhere there. Maybe it's from the Hudson Reporter being delivered on Saturdays. Have you seen the family's pushing the carts down the street full of papers? By the time they get to the end of the Village they just leave them when there done. I wonder if the Hudson Reporter knows how their papers are distributed?

If your willing, keep an eye on that Hudson Reporter situation. If they are responsible report it to that papers higher ups/managers and let them know this is unacceptable. The only way we can stop the constant shopping cart pollution is by ALL of us residents sticking together and making it an issue with the responsible parties. Thanks,

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/5/29 18:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/27 3:53
From Gull's Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Weird, JimA on 2nd and Brunswick and JimmyB on 3rd and Brunswick. Small world!

Small world with lots of carts!

Posted on: 2008/5/29 18:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/21 16:54
Group:
Registered Users
I'm at Brunswick & 2nd and find the carts everywhere there. Maybe it's from the Hudson Reporter being delivered on Saturdays. Have you seen the family's pushing the carts down the street full of papers? By the time they get to the end of the Village they just leave them when there done. I wonder if the Hudson Reporter knows how their papers are distributed?

Posted on: 2008/5/29 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Doesanyone have any ideas on how to stop the flood of BJ's carts all over JC. Would getting Fulop involved help. Maybe he could speak to BJ's about installing anti-theft devices on the carts or building a barrier around the lot to keep the carts in. Maybe fines can be issued to residents seen taking a cart. I don't know...anyone?

Posted on: 2008/5/29 17:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/27 3:53
From Gull's Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I found one this morning in front of my office and I'm all the way back on Brunswick!

I believe workers working on new construction have been using them. I recently moved into a new high rise that is still under partial construction and I've seen carts filled with materials. Don't know if they are BJ's though. Weird.

Posted on: 2008/5/29 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
said a spokesman for Mayor Bret Schundler. Last night, the City Council voted 8 to 0 to authorize the Department of Public Works to begin charging a $5 daily storage fee for store owners who want to retrieve their carts.

I didn't like Schundler as a statewide candidate, but he was actually a decent mayor. I understand that some people think he played games with the budget, but at least he could figure out how to play games with the budget, and he understood that the little things, like whether the trash gets picked up, really do matter.

Posted on: 2008/5/29 14:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
I don't drive. So, I buy shopping carts to get my stuff home. I don't know why folks seem to think they have the right to just take those carts and dump them wherever. But, I guess the stores just have to go round-them-up at night. Maybe posting big signs (if they haven't already) or something might help. If the situation gets bad enough (like those leg-locks don't deter them), they'll have to go the Pathmark route. They have a barrier around the front of the store. You can't take the carts farther than that...which makes it a lot of fun trying to get my babycarriage through.....

Posted on: 2008/5/29 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Here is some wishful thinking on the City of J.C.'s part.

Shopping-Cart Solution
N.Y. Times
By TERRY PRISTIN
Published: February 27, 1997

So many Jersey City residents take shopping carts home from supermarkets and then abandon them that the authorities in November set aside a lot for abandoned carts, and 400 carts are stored there now, said a spokesman for Mayor Bret Schundler. Last night, the City Council voted 8 to 0 to authorize the Department of Public Works to begin charging a $5 daily storage fee for store owners who want to retrieve their carts. The measure would also allow the department to auction off unclaimed carts to grocers and scrap-metal dealers, said the spokesman, Tom Gallagher. The idea is to encourage store owners to take measures to protect their carts, he said. TERRY PRISTIN

Excerpt from 1997 N.Y. Times link below
Mr. Healy has also accused his Republican rival of focusing on trivial matters -- dotting sidewalks with concrete planters, for example, or issuing a policy on stolen shopping carts -- while not working hard enough to lure more investors to Jersey City.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage ... sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Posted on: 2008/5/29 14:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/23 19:52
Group:
Registered Users
It's funny--BJ's has a squad of off duty S.W.A.T. officers and bounty hunters patrolling its parking lot 24-7 in order to ward off (or tow) any vehicle with passengers destined for the mall across the street. But these goons can't stop people from wheeling dozens of fire engine-red carts a week from the premises?

Or maybe it's just that those carts have learned to procreate (like rabbits.)

Posted on: 2008/5/29 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
If you call BJ's they will humor you and tell them they are coming to pick them up.

Every time I see a BJ's shopping cart left on the side of the road, mostly on Newark Ave, I call BJ's customer service dept and tell them where it is and to come pick it up. Alot of the times I notice they DO come and pick it up, and yes, sometimes they don't and it takes from a few days to a week to get them. But everyone needs to call and keep up the pressure on BJ's to get them and let them know this situation is inacceptable. Why don't the have the anti-theft wheel locks for their carts? There is something about seeing shopping carts left lying around a neighborhood that make it look trashy.

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/5/29 13:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I saw one behind the Sugar House apartments sitting on the pier facing the Sand Bar near the benches.

How is it that a common shopping cart is able to mimic a classic Lord Byron pose?

Posted on: 2008/5/29 13:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned
Periodically, I will see a flat bed truck pass by with a fleet of newly reclaimed, hunted down BJ shopping carts. You'd think if they went through the trouble of keeping track of non-customers parking in the lot, they'd do the same with their $$ carts *before* they leave the parking lot.

Posted on: 2008/5/29 13:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/30 21:20
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in four different buildings in Paulus Hook since 2000. Every one of them had/has a small collection of BJ's carts. I guess folks who walk to the store just keep on going with them straight out of the parking lot to their home. Contractors use them to lug paint cans, lumber, whatever to apartments.

The marina behind Hudson Point actually had two chained to the fence for a while.

They just seem to accrete over time. It's no wonder you see people following shoppers around the BJ's parking lot to snag a cart!

Posted on: 2008/5/29 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dontstealmyrocks wrote:
Ya know, it's funny because I never see any abandoned Marshall's shopping carts anywhere only BJ's, Pathmark, etc.

And when you go to Marshall's on route 440 they only have about 3 carts in the whole store!

Now, where are those carts???

i've seen marshalls carts in all of the little mini supermarkets in jersey city (supremo on palisade being one of them, and a few others towards mcginley square and bergen lafayette)

there is a van that goes around picking up stray shopping carts here in the heights, i'd imagine they do this elsewhere too. i know a manager from marshalls on 440, and she herself even complains about the carts disappearing, but they don't put the locking device on them. i did mention to her what pathmark does, how you have to put a quarter in the cart to unlock it and when you return the cart you get your quarter back. it's a shame we have to resort to such stupid things to keep people from being lazy and taking carts home without returning them, or people just flat out stealing them...

Posted on: 2008/5/29 6:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/23 4:56
From Take a wild guess
Group:
Registered Users
Aye, I too have seen abandoned shopping carts. My guess is they are the sad aftermath of Alien abductions.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/5/29 5:54
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
One day I saw at least eight BJs carts on Steuben off Warren behind 50 Columbus Towers, a new luxury high rise; all nestled together like they were in front of the store!!

Posted on: 2008/5/29 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/19 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
Ya know, it's funny because I never see any abandoned Marshall's shopping carts anywhere only BJ's, Pathmark, etc.

And when you go to Marshall's on route 440 they only have about 3 carts in the whole store!

Now, where are those carts???

Posted on: 2008/5/29 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
TheVillage wrote: They seem to pop up every few days on one corner, move to another street, after a few more days they move to yet another corner....I saw one again this morning on second street.

Posted on: 2008/5/29 0:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/29 1:05
Group:
Registered Users
DUH>>>>What planet do you live on....Must be a nice place..

"Mommy where do babies come from?"

Posted on: 2008/5/29 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Do you seriously not know the answers to your questions? By the way the answer to your first question is right in your subject line.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I saw one behind the Sugar House apartments sitting on the pier facing the Sand Bar near the benches.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

groovlstk wrote:
People use them to carry their purchases home to their apartments and then irresponsibly ditch the carts. I had a friend living in Portofino and she said some of the trashy residents wouldn't even bother to wheel the carts outside, they'd simply leave them in the hallways outside their doors as if they were room service dollies.

So these are the type of people you have to live side by side with. Must be new money.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
If you call BJ's they will humor you and tell them they are coming to pick them up.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I used to love sitting at the outdoor tables at Willie McBrides in Hoboken across from the A&P. They updated their carts to automatically lock the wheels when someone attempted to take them across the parking lot threshhold. Despite signs people alerting them people would still try to push and drag the carts a short distance before finally giving up.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 20:44
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
It sounds like you need "The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification":

http://www.amazon.com/Stray-Shopping- ... rn-America/dp/0810955202/

Posted on: 2008/5/28 20:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/9 19:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheVillage wrote:
Has anyone noticed the Red BJ's shopping carts left around downtown Jersey City. They seem to pop up every few days on one corner, move to another street, after a few more days they move to yet another corner.

Anyone know where they are coming from, who is using them, what they are used for? I saw one again this morning on second street.

Just wondering?

Not sure why they are being left around, but you should call the store and talk to the manager. Not only are those carts expensive to replace, but they also represent a huge insurance liability if a car or the light rail hits them and/or someone is injured.

Most stores are usually very concerned about their carts being left around like this because of the possible financial issues.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 20:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
People use them to carry their purchases home to their apartments and then irresponsibly ditch the carts. I had a friend living in Portofino and she said some of the trashy residents wouldn't even bother to wheel the carts outside, they'd simply leave them in the hallways outside their doors as if they were room service dollies.

In response, I've noticed that the shopping carts in some places (like the A&P) have these little triggers on the wheel that lock if you hit a big bump (as in wheeling over a curb). A few times when wheeling groceries back to my car I hit breaks in the parking lot pavement and had it seize up on me. Not much fun dragging it 50 ft. to where I was parked, but I can't really blame the merchants for taking measure to protect themselves.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 20:27

Where are all the BJ shopping carts coming from?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/29 17:50
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone noticed the Red BJ's shopping carts left around downtown Jersey City. They seem to pop up every few days on one corner, move to another street, after a few more days they move to yet another corner.

Anyone know where they are coming from, who is using them, what they are used for? I saw one again this morning on second street.

Just wondering?

Posted on: 2008/5/28 20:19

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017