Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Brennan Coffee House Concert Series in Jersey City - Anyone Ever Been?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
I planned to check out the Brennan Coffee House performance by folk artist Antje Duvekot earlier this month, but I missed it because I was out of town. Did any JCListers out there make it to the show? Or have any of you checked out past Brennan Coffee House performances? Just curious to know what they're like. If you're not familiar with Antje Duvekot (pronounced Aunt-ya Doo-va-kot), her song "Merry Go Round" is featured in the Bank of America commercials that have been running regularly on TV for the last few months. I'd say her music is in the same vein as Dar Williams, Suzanne Vega, Jonatha Brooke, Shawn Colvin, Ani Difranco, etc. -- folky singer/songwriter-ish kinda stuff. Here's a link to Antje's MySpace page if you're curious. Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I hadn't heard of the Brennan Coffee House music series until recently. Here's the link to its website for the uninitiated: BrennanCoffeeHouse.com. While perusing the site, I just noticed that the site was created by and is maintained by Hudson County high school students -- very cool! And the site's video clips are provided by Hudson County high school students too. It's nice see local teens doing good work to build their resumes while contributing to the community! Just a few weeks ago, I was feeling quite bitter and angry toward a pair of Jersey City teens who robbed my younger brother near Van Vorst Park. (You may remember seeing some chatter about it here on the list.) But focusing on good stuff like this -- whether it's upbeat artistry or teen accomplishments in Jersey City -- helps soothe the cynic in me and makes me feel good about living here. Time for me to revel in some of Antje's optimistic tunes as I drift off to sleep. Have a swell night, and again, any feedback or details about this music series (beyond what's featured on its website) would definitely be appreciated. Someone is tossing petals in a stream Somewhere someone is standing at the foothills of their dreams Someone got a paintbrush, is painting over doubts Someone opened up his eyes and saw the sun coming out -- Antje Duvekot :)

Posted on: 2008/5/27 7:39

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017