Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
26 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 7
Guests: 19

HCResident, DTNJC, dtjcview, fraulein, PathH8Tr, blanquiita, bcgirl99, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: BBQ grills - permitted or not?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

groovlstk wrote:
OK, I finally heard back through the City of JC website, here's their answer:

Thank you for using the City of Jersey City's online Help Center. The following is our response to your question:

According to the Office of Fire Prevention no type of grill is permitted on decks of condos.

I find this hard to believe as in NYC residents are permitted to have electric grills on their balconies/decks as long as the units are 10 ft. from a combustible source. Even charcoal grills are allowed on balconies (w/the same 10 ft. restriction), just propane tanks are forbidden.

First off you are not in Nyc, or any other part of the world so please call Jerry not Mike. You must only adhere to the municipal codes and ordinances of the City of Jersey City, the County of Hudson, and the State of New Jersey, along with the rules of your condo association and or CO-OP. And don't forget to look at your insurance policies plural because there may be two one for your abode and another for the association if both apply. By the way I believe the city of J.C. is right you can't have the grill sitting idle on the deck or front porch but you may be able to use it in that location or any other outdoor area of you property. Check for codes regarding this or ask the local fire dept. if they know of any.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 9:12
Print Top

Balcony BBQ Fire Code Regulations
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Just wanted to ask for general knowledge.

What is the JC fire code for BBQ on a balcony in a high rise?

Thanks

Posted on: 2009/8/17 0:02
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Go ahead and grill!

But make sure your fire extinguisher is charged and keep a bucket of sand nearby for safety.

If you use a charcoal grill, be sure to place something below it to catch any coals that might fall out onto your deck or through your deck's slats onto the deck below.

And use a coal furnace so you don't have to use lighter fluid which could cause big flare ups.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 12:21
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Really the question is, is your grill visible from the street, and will your neighbors turn you in? If the answer is no to both of these, then it really doesn't matter what the code is.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 10:16
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Called -- and grills are not allowed in JC (including electric)

I think that Kafka is writing the JC Fire Code.

Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
[quote]
groovlstk wrote:
For the life of me I can't seem to get an answer to this one from city officials or my condo association.

What are the restrictions on BBQing on decks/balconies? I'm sure propane and charcoal are prohibited, but what about electrical grills (which have no open flames) or natural gas?

[snip]quote]

Call 201-547-4200 from 8:30 to 4pm, ask for the fire prevention dept. They can tell you what is permitted where you live.

Posted on: 2008/5/27 10:12
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

groovlstk wrote:
For the life of me I can't seem to get an answer to this one from city officials or my condo association.

What are the restrictions on BBQing on decks/balconies? I'm sure propane and charcoal are prohibited, but what about electrical grills (which have no open flames) or natural gas?

My wife and I have a fairly big deck at the rear of our condo, it's about 25x12, attached to our rear exterior wall and situated on top of the building's parking garage. It's a great space for parties and such but without a grill it's sadly bereft.

Call 201-547-4200 from 8:30 to 4pm, ask for the fire prevention dept. They can tell you what is permitted where you live.

Posted on: 2008/5/26 23:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Well that's a load of crap because I see grills on peoples' decks, balconies and patios at condos all around town.

I'm sure the police are making arrests and confiscating peoples' grills all the time.

Posted on: 2008/5/26 23:34
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey State law says no grills on condo patios. The state also requires you to wipe your nose after blowing. Or they will gladly do it for you.

Posted on: 2008/5/20 18:47
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Check your resident's handbook from your association- usually electric grills are permitted.

I would write back to Jersey City and ascertain that electric grills are not permitted.

Although the way they change the JC Fire Rules every minute, who knows!

Posted on: 2008/5/20 17:49
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
gas grill illegal on raised back deck?

Quote:
BrightMoment wrote:

Liquefied Petroleum Gas Act and Regulations

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/lp_gas/lpg_regs_2006.pdf

Current through July 1, 2006

“Liquefied petroleum gas” means any material which is composed predominantly of any of the following hydrocarbons, or mixtures of the same: propane, propylene, butanes (normal butane or isobutane), and butylenes."

N.J.S.A. 21:1B-3 INSTALLATION, MAINTENANCE OF EQUIPMENT

All equipment shall be installed and maintained in a safe operating condition and in conformity with the rules and regulations adopted under section 2 of this act; however, the inspection of propane gas equipment installations inside of predominantly residential buildings and those above ground installations which are on the outside of predominantly residential buildings may be made and approved or disapproved by the Construction Code official of the respective municipality pursuant to the standards promulgated by the Commissioner of Community Affairs. For purposes of this act “predominantly residential” means and includes buildings in which people reside or dwell as distinguished from buildings which are used entirely for commercial or business purposes. The term shall also include any building having 51% or more of its total floor space devoted to dwelling purposes.

The storage of LP-Gas cylinders on exterior balconies of buildings shall be in accordance with the Uniform Construction Code (N.J.A.C. 5:23) and the Uniform Fire Code (N.J.A.C. 5:70).”

4. Ensure that cylinder exchange cabinets are set on a secure, are located at least 20 feet from any building opening or source of ignition and are not located or stored within a structure;

N.J.S.A. 21:1B-7 ORDINANCES NOT TO CONFLICT WITH REGULATIONS

No municipality or other political subdivision shall adopt or enforce any ordinance or regulation in conflict with the provisions of this act or with the regulations promulgated under section two of this act.

N.J.S.A. 21:1B-8 DECLARATION OF NECESSITY

The State of New Jersey hereby finds, determines and declares that this act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health and safety.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Source: NFPA’s One-Stop Data Shop

*Gas grills have a higher fire risk than charcoal grills; leaks and breaks are the leading cause, accounting for nearly half of gas grill fires.

*Gas-fueled grills caused an estimated 600 home structure fires and 3,200 home outdoor fires in 2002.

*Charcoal-fueled or other solid-fueled grills caused an estimated 300 home structure fires and 300 home outdoor fires in 2002.

*Half of all gas grill and charcoal grill home structure fires begin on an exterior balcony or unenclosed porch.

*Gas fuel is the leading item first ignited for home outdoor gas grill fires.

*Structural member or framing, wall coverings, exterior trim, and plants are the leading items first ignited in home structure or outdoor charcoal grill fires.

Posted on: 2008/5/20 16:41
Click to see original Image in a new window
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
OK, I finally heard back through the City of JC website, here's their answer:

Thank you for using the City of Jersey City's online Help Center. The following is our response to your question:

According to the Office of Fire Prevention no type of grill is permitted on decks of condos.

I find this hard to believe as in NYC residents are permitted to have electric grills on their balconies/decks as long as the units are 10 ft. from a combustible source. Even charcoal grills are allowed on balconies (w/the same 10 ft. restriction), just propane tanks are forbidden.

Posted on: 2008/5/20 16:39
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
There are several people on my block that have had propane grills on their deck/balcony for years. These are not condos though, so the rules may be different. If you just go with the flow and be careful you should be fine. Gas grills are pretty safe, just make sure you check the valves and hoses regularly and clean out any grease inside so you don't have a flare up.

Posted on: 2008/5/20 16:28
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Where are you? Gull's Cove? Do you have a condo handbook with all the rules in it? The handbook should tell you.

My condo allows electrical grills only. Fire code.

Posted on: 2008/5/20 15:11
Print Top

BBQ grills - permitted or not?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

My wife and I have a fairly big deck at the rear of our condo, it's about 25x12, attached to our rear exterior wall and situated on top of the building's parking garage. It's a great space for parties and such but without a grill it's sadly bereft.

Posted on: 2008/5/20 13:47
Print Top

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014