Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Nicoles on Jersey & Montgomery
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/19 1:12
Group:
Registered Users
Nicoles is great. I have a Guyanese friend whom i brought there and he was very impressed. The best jerk chicken i have tasted in Jersey. And yes, that special hot sauce is great! when i order for delivery i ask for extras and stock up on it!!

Posted on: 2008/5/18 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
If ever I should get married, I would insist that
Nicole should cater the affair.
Best chow in JC. Non pariel, as the frenchies
say.

Posted on: 2008/5/17 17:44

Re: Nicole's on Jersey & Columbus Avenue

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/30 1:13
Group:
Registered Users
Nicole's beef patties are quite tasty.

Posted on: 2008/5/17 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'm getting real intrigued by this talk about special hot sauce!

Have any of you sauce fans eaten at the Westside Coffee Shop on Church between Canal and Lispenard? It's a spanish place that has always looked real divy, with black velvet paintings and such. But they make awesome food, and make their own special hot sauce daily. It's a very dark sludge with lots of black pepper, and not a vinegar base like Louisiana sauce. Mmmm. I've never seen a sauce like it anywhere else.

Posted on: 2008/5/17 1:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/25 21:42
From Brooklyn
Group:
Registered Users
I've eaten at Nicole's about 4 times, always in the restaurant rather than ordering or taking out.

I would look at every single dish they had in their steam table, ask questions, etc. I did think that most of their dishes looked either greasy or old, but not all. Old means, a few remnants in the dish and looking dry.

I would always settle on the jerk chicken or pork which looked freshest and most appealing of all their dishes. I had it a few times and it tasted great. Some of the rice dishes, while appealing in their ingredients. also looked a bit old.

They have wonderful hot sauce on the tables, it is extremely spicy. I prize sauces like this. But it also seems to sit on the tables unrefrigerated day in and day out (I assume it goes into the fridge at night, maybe I'm wrong).

I'm usually told I could take a menu and have delivery. However, I believe I am told this because if I didn't come in to look, I wouldn't have to worry about the steam table freshness and time sitting of the dishes, in part.

I got a bit sick from one time I was there. Perhaps I could or should blame it on the hot sauce but I'm not so sure.

The tricky thing with restaurants that have steam tables and not a ton of turnover -- the food can tend to sit at a temperature that is only warm, not hot enough to fight off bad germies, and can sit there for hours and hours.

Would be so much better to have fresh food prepared, though I love the idea of this place and especially their unique hot sauce.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Nicole's is awesome, and entertaining. The sons are super, super nice guys. The mother (assuming all relationships here) is gruff, almost like she doesn't want to give you her precious food (and I say that seriously- The jerked chicken is great) but I've chatted with her a few times, nice lady.

I'll second the "watch the sauce", whatever that orange stuff is in the little cups, it has some dynamite. I love hot food, and it's given me the sweats a few times if I overdo it. One of the kids was a riot when I went in there about a year ago when I asked for extra- "OK, well, be careful guy, ok? You sure? Be careful guy."

GWB

Posted on: 2008/5/16 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Willy_Lopez wrote:
Nicole's is seriously amazing. the jerk chicken-rice beans-fried plaintains platter is outrageous. been a while need to make an appearance soon. the homemade pattys make a good snack if your on the run.. 100x better than the fake ones from the delis/chicken spots

I never tried it since when I asked if the jerk was spicy I was told no. But now that Lisa's is closed, victim of a greedy landlord, and perhaps poor marketing on her part, I guess I'll have to give it a shot to get my Jerk fix.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:

...The food is a little greasy but good, the ginger beer is great, and I've never gotten sick from anything I've eaten there.

I agree -- I found it too salty and too greasy.

Quote:

alb wrote:

...try crossing Columbus...to Calle Luna.

Calle Luna serves that I guess would count more as "Spanish food," rather than "West Indian food," but, whatever it is, it's also really good. I think anyone who would like Nicole's would probably like Calle Luna, too.

Good tip -- I'll try Calle Luna.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
If you're in that area, another thing to do is to try crossing Columbus, walking one block west to Varick, then walking south on Varick to 356 Varick, to Calle Luna.

Calle Luna serves that I guess would count more as "Spanish food," rather than "West Indian food," but, whatever it is, it's also really good. I think anyone who would like Nicole's would probably like Calle Luna, too.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 16:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/28 8:43
Group:
Banned
Nicole's is seriously amazing. the jerk chicken-rice beans-fried plaintains platter is outrageous. been a while need to make an appearance soon. the homemade pattys make a good snack if your on the run.. 100x better than the fake ones from the delis/chicken spots

Posted on: 2008/5/16 9:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
I love Nicole's.

I have never had a bad meal there.

My favorite is the jerk chicken. The stewed oxtail is excellent. I have had and enjoyed everything on the menu.

I love the beef patties with hot sauce. It is the hottest hot sauce in Jersey City, so watch out.

Basically, it is Savas, Taqueria, the good Vietnamese place, and Nicole's. Those are the good and authentic places downtown.

Nicole's delivers as well.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 2:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/24 3:13
From Wayne Wayne Wayne
Group:
Registered Users
According to their daily offerings chalkboard, a repeat treat is Curry Turkey Cabbage. Three things that combined together defy imagination. Try your luck. Everything I've ever gotten from there was palatable, but still questionable.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 1:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/29 21:28
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
Well, I went to Nicoles and it was pretty tasty. I had the curry beef with rice and bananas along with beef patty and 2 pieces of jerk chicken. Pretty good.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 14:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/4 14:20
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Alb Wrote:
Quote:
I've never gotten sick from anything I've eaten there

+1

Actually, I'll go even further, I like their food a lot. I'm no expert on Caribbean food, so I can't attest to it's authenticity, but as far as taste and value, they're great. They offer large portions and everything I've tried was delicious.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 11:30
Myth: Pancakes are for breakfast.

Fact: There are no rules when it comes to pancakes.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GangsterNo1 wrote:
I heard this is guayanese food, anyone ever eat there, I want to give it a try, but want to see if it recommended..thanks

I've eaten there. I'm not a foodie, but I've eaten there a few times per year for about 10 years.

The food is a little greasy but good, the ginger beer is great, and I've never gotten sick from anything I've eaten there.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 4:51

Nicole's on Jersey & Columbus Avenue
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/29 21:28
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
I heard this is guayanese food, anyone ever eat there, I want to give it a try, but want to see if it recommended..thanks

Posted on: 2008/5/12 0:35

Edited by Webmaster on 2008/5/16 22:55:22

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017