Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Stop Signs on Erie Street - Steven FUlop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Uh, where did you hear the DOT denied an application? This is news to me. Could you expand on that? It is very unusual for the Traffic Division to draw up an ordinance when the State inspector has given the thumbs down.

This is sad and shocking news to find they have been so irresponsible. I'm assuming this is fact, correct?

Could you expand on what you called to find out about and share you findings here? I am sure most of us would like to hear the full story.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 23:53
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
I would just like to give you an update on where things stand with this issue. I have been working with John Yurchak (Director of DPW), Captain McDonough (East District Police), and the Parking Authority. What we have come up with is this:

1. A stop sign will be placed on Erie at 3rd Street.
2. A stop sign will be placed on Erie at 7th Street.
3. The Parking Authority will be stepping up enforcement on parking at the curbs.
4. Crosswalks will be repainted.

Additionally, the blinking light on Erie at 10th Street might be switched to a standard traffic light in the near future.

The East District will also continue to keep an eye on speeding in the area.

This is a good start. The area will be monitored to see if this is effective or more is needed. This is very important as it relates to the changing needs of the area and its residents.

Sincerely,

Steven Fulop
Councilman Ward ?E?

I'm glad to see that you all agreed upon and posted the recommendations/alternatives given to you by the director of the DPW, and all the other parties involved.

This amended ordinance is a doable one and there should be no reason the D.O.T should deny this application. The changing of the traffic signal at 10th street should decrease the number of traffic accidents at this intersection, since the data has shown the majority of the accidents are between 10 and 14th street (tunnel traffic) this was also a discussion during the 139 construction project meetings.

This amended ordinance you posted above is the same suggestions that were given to many of us who called to find out what was really going on with all of this. Councilman, not everything is a fight and not everything has to have a "spin", compromise isn't a bad thing!

Councilman Fulop, you've posted numerous times on this site and when the information you give it accurate I don't need to challenge it and sometimes even say well done, but lately that hasn't been the case.

Anyway,
Well done to all of the parties involved on this new and improved ordinance![/quote]

Posted on: 2008/4/7 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
I would just like to give you an update on where things stand with this issue. I have been working with John Yurchak (Director of DPW), Captain McDonough (East District Police), and the Parking Authority. What we have come up with is this:

3. The Parking Authority will be stepping up enforcement on parking at the curbs.

Additionally, the blinking light on Erie at 10th Street might be switched to a standard traffic light in the near future.

This is a good start. The area will be monitored to see if this is effective or more is needed. This is very important as it relates to the changing needs of the area and its residents.

Sincerely,

Steven Fulop
Councilman Ward ?E?

That's great, thanks Steve, now if we can just put a stop sign on Monmouth at Pavonia; the current sign instructing drivers to stop for pedestrians is ignored by most drivers.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 16:58
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Good Job Steve Fulop. I don't always agree with you but I am glad to see you and this thread shake off the JCPD/Healy shills and actually get something done.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 13:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:

Sincerely,

Steven Fulop
Councilman Ward ?E?

Good work Steve, but I hope the Parking Authority will be as diligent on the intersections near Bay Street, First Street, Sixth and Seventh Street, because most of these offenders will be police officers, and they should be held to the same standard as everyone else, especially when safety is involved. Keep in mind a driver on Erie and 7th may not be able to see a car on 7th if a car is parked on the corner. Not sure of the value of a Light at the corner of 10th, but it shouldn't matter if it is timed with the next light.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 12:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users

Sincerely,

Steven Fulop
Councilman Ward ?E?

Posted on: 2008/4/7 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scooter wrote:
Quote:
Exactly what was Traffic Engineering's "explanation" for taking a position, which sounds so "anti-safety"

The point of Fulop's OP was only to urge interested parties to attend the next council meeting and hear for themselves, as simple and transparent as that.

And if Fulop *were* to answer this request to paraphrase Public Works' opposing views re: Erie St., the haters (probably connected to the current administration - entirely coincidental) would immediately jump on him for spinning it towards his 'nefarious' ends, no matter what he actually wrote.

Don't bite, Steve - it's a trap..

Scooter,

It's nothing as devious as that.

It's unfortunate, but the Councilman seems to be using JCList.com as a campaign propaganda opportunity to bash the JCPD and the DPW on an issue they weren't given an opportunity to weigh in on. It's not simply a call for support for a bunch of stop signs. When Councilman Fulop's aide posted on Wiredjc.com, she offered much more information on this subject, and in one of the paragraph she posts:

Quote:
Posted on: March 28, 2008, 02:58:53 PM

?Should these questions have been asked of the DPW director ahead of time, probably, but in reality there is not always time to be an expert on all fronts. So it is tabled and hopefully this ordinance will be passed or rejected based on its merits and how it best fits into the greater vision of the downtown area?.

?People are voicing concern about where this will otherwise push the traffic. They are also talking about getting ducks in a row a as it relates to what should be the main thorough fares?.

That certainly changes the tone of what of his original post here on JCList.com where he led many of us to think that DPW and JCPD were dismissive of his ordinance and are putting us in danger.

Why didn?t he just post that he wants to sponsor this type of ordinance and before he approaches the other departments he would like some quick feedback? Instead he attempts to push through new legislation without consulting the people he accuses. Councilman Fulop is seasoned enough to know the "basic 101" of doing this type of legislation. Spinning this around the way he did was totally unnecessary and irresponsible.

So the moral of all this, don't use JCList to spin a campaign propaganda opportunity, especially on a public safety issue. Don't post something that is not entirely true or leave out crucial information. Don?t try to control our perception.

So, he made mistake the way he handled this ordinance, it's really not that big of a deal, but what the big deal is blaming others for ones' own mistake.

Now, hopefully as his aide puts it: ?People are voicing concern about where this will otherwise push the traffic. They are also talking about getting ducks in a row a as it relates to what should be the main thorough fares?.

That?s a responsible comment and hopefully the Councilman has learned a valuable lesson. I, like many others want to believe that when he comes on to these website forums and posts, it's gospel and when we are find out that what has been posted is not true, it's disturbing!

Posted on: 2008/4/7 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
rpinkowitz feels like Fulop's OP "bashes" the JCPD and DPW for their position on the Erie St. traffic situation.

This, in fact, is what he wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I couldn?t disagree with their opinion more

whew, that's pretty rough bashing, Steve. - easy, fella!

But that's it for me on this thread, because....

?If is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it?- Upton Sinclair
(a useful quote around here...)

Posted on: 2008/4/7 0:18
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Exactly what was Traffic Engineering's "explanation" for taking a position, which sounds so "anti-safety"

The point of Fulop's OP was only to urge interested parties to attend the next council meeting and hear for themselves, as simple and transparent as that.

And if Fulop *were* to answer this request to paraphrase Public Works' opposing views re: Erie St., the haters (probably connected to the current administration - entirely coincidental) would immediately jump on him for spinning it towards his 'nefarious' ends, no matter what he actually wrote.

Don't bite, Steve - it's a trap..

Posted on: 2008/4/6 13:07
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

I was thinking of one alternative measure to stop signs however. A number of municipalities with heavy pedestrian traffic install rubber "Yield to Pedestrians in Crosswalk" signs at crosswalks. This serves to remind drivers they must stop for pedestrians, and also slows them down. The signs could be installed off center in the road, leaving enough room for drivers to squeeze passed the sign, but making cautious drivers weary of speeding through the intersections.

This was a suggestion given to the D.O.T. at one of the community meetings that took place prior to this project starting. With the major increase of car traffic and the impact that the 139 construction project is doing to the downtown cross streets, the D.O.T. should help subsidize the purchase and installation if this is something that can be agreed upon.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 6:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I was thinking of one alternative measure to stop signs however. A number of municipalities with heavy pedestrian traffic install rubber "Yield to Pedestrians in Crosswalk" signs at crosswalks. This serves to remind drivers they must stop for pedestrians, and also slows them down. The signs could be installed off center in the road, leaving enough room for drivers to squeeze passed the sign, but making cautious drivers weary of speeding through the intersections.

That's exactly what I have been calling for in this thread for awhile now. We need to have the level of pedestrian singnage like Hoboken does, That and repainted crosswalks with reflective paint. Oh yeah - and enforcement.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

At the next City Council meeting the council will un-table an ordinance that I sponsored to put stop signs all along Erie Street in order to slow the cut through traffic headed the Holland Tunnel.

The ordinance was tabled last night as the police department and Director of Public Works have expressed that they don't feel slowing the traffic on Erie Street as a cut through is necessary. Personally, I couldn?t disagree with their opinion more and view Erie Street as just a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. The traffic moves far too quickly on Erie and it was never intended for its current use as a cut through street for people headed to the Holland Tunnel.

If this issue is of interest to you on either side of the discussion, I would urge you to attend the council meeting in two weeks and speak on this ordinance.

Sincerely,
Steven Fulop
Councilman Ward ?E?

Posted on: 3/27 10:44

Councilman Fulop, why are you avoiding answering some very basic and simple questions?
Certainly you've monitored this thread since your original post and you were even logged on today: 2008/4/4 17:18.

The questions asked are reasonable and should be very simple to answer. (see below) Since you created this thread, you should also reply to the questions asked so we have a clear understanding of something the effects all of us.

Quote:

G_Elkind wrote:

The Councilman started this thread with a statement about dueling opinions -- his (slowing via stop signs on every corner ) and traffic engineering's (no slowing required), but we haven't been provided with traffic engineering's "explanation" for the position they are taking.

Who isn't for traffic safety?

Exactly what was Traffic Engineering's "explanation" for taking a position, which sounds so "anti-safety" as characterized by the Councilman? It's certainly not in character with the Joao d'Souza (Director of Traffic Engineering) I know to summarily dismiss a proposed traffic safety ordinance without providing a clear, well-reasoned explanation or without offering professional alternatives.

Knowing Traffic Engineering's side of the story would be a useful addition to this thread.

And I asked a similar question:

Quote:

Posted on: 3/28 7:57
r_pinkowitz wrote:

Were other alternatives and suggestions given by the JCPD, Traffic engineering and/or Public works? It would be helpful to know both sides of this issue and why they raised objections.

Prior to the Caucus/Council meeting you posted about:

What were the reasons for them not supporting this ordinance being introduced before Council?

Did any of them give you alternatives and/or suggestions, when you were communicating with them about this ordinance prior to the caucus meeting you posted about?

Thank you in advance for your prompt reply.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

The traffic situation on Erie is fairly unique, and shunting cars off Erie wouldn't cause the same problems on the other Northbound roads because none of them possess the same qualities of Erie Street. Jersey and Marin are both significantly wider

If official people are looking at traffic on Erie: Jersey Avenue could use a part-time traffic light, or maybe just a yellow blinking caution light, around Third Street.

Reason: Jersey Avenue isn't all that busy, but it's busy enough that crossing it is a pain during rush hour, and it's not reasonable to expect traffic-shy people on Fourth to walk either to Newark or Sixth just to cross the street.

Also, if La Rustique ever moves into the space in Jersey Avenue, chances are a zillion people will be dashing across the street to pick up their pizzas. If a traffic light were there, the people would be safer and the drivers would develop less high blood pressure.

Also: The Shoprite walk light around Marin and Third needs either to be adjusted or else a little sign that explains how it's supposed to work if it's working properly. It seems to let pedestrians cross every other traffic light cycle, rather than every cycle. A lot of people assume it's broken and cross without the benefit of a light.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:

you sound like a clairvoyant genius!

Finally, we agree on something.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 20:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
ianmac47

Your posts do come across in a know-it-all tone. It's quite annoying as you clearly don't.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Right, because a problem that already exists couldn't possibly be exacerbated? Once something's categorized as a "problem" it's a wash?

Ian, I love when you think you're making so much sense. That's when I love you most.

Erie Street traffic is not going to use Monmouth Street instead of Erie. As usually, you have nothing compelling to say that would indicate otherwise, other than to belittle people.

Your condescension doesn't make you right, it just makes you sound like an asshole.

Unlike your speaking in absolute truisms, which makes you sound like a clairvoyant genius!

Stay stable, kreskinmac47!

Posted on: 2008/4/4 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Right, because a problem that already exists couldn't possibly be exacerbated? Once something's categorized as a "problem" it's a wash?

Ian, I love when you think you're making so much sense. That's when I love you most.

Erie Street traffic is not going to use Monmouth Street instead of Erie. As usually, you have nothing compelling to say that would indicate otherwise, other than to belittle people.

Your condescension doesn't make you right, it just makes you sound like an asshole.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:

As i said above:

"On days when I need to drive into the city, I take Baldwin to Newark, left on 7th under the TPKE, left on Monmouth, right on 10th, left on Erie, then to the tunnel. I am far from alone in this regard."

I don't see what this has to do with stop signs on Erie Street. There is already a flashing signal on 10th and Erie, and the problems of speeding cars at that intersection are mitigated by the traffic light on 9th and Erie. The real problem on Erie is speeding traffic between Bay and Fifth Street, and sometimes at Seventh Street. 9th and 6th have a light, and 8th already has a stop sign. So anyone coming down Newark Avenue and cutting down 7th Street already has traffic signals at 8th, 9th, and 10th Street. Anyone coming off Newark Avenue and cutting down 5th to Erie has a traffic signal at 6th, and the only intersection without some sort of signal is 7th. So the portion of roadway most altered by new stop signs would be everything south of 5th Street. For traffic coming east on Newark, that would mean traveling as far southeast as 3rd, 1st or Erie to simply get onto Erie. And then of course, there is the issue of traffic on Newark, and buses picking up and discharging passengers on Newark, and so I contend that very few people traveling east on Newark Avenue are getting onto Erie Street south of 5th; most of the traffic on the most dangerous portion of Erie is then not originating from Newark Avenue.

My original statement was in response to this:

Quote:

If you focus a solution solely on Erie Street to the exclusion of the other adjacent and nearby streets, you will quite literally, move the problem around.

I am contending that addressing Erie street's traffic issues will not "move the problem around" because traffic flowing from Erie can't easily get to Monmouth Street to use that as a substitute, and Jersey and Marin are both safer roads for the sort of volume on Erie. The fact that Monmouth also has a problem is irrelevant; it either already has a problem or it doesn't, and fixing Erie street will not aggravate or create a problem because Monmouth Street and Erie Street are not good substitutes for each other.

The anecdotal evidence that you have presented, that you and many others from up on top of the Palisade already, currently, at present drive down Monmouth suggests only that Monmouth already, presently, has a problem. Correcting Erie Street by sending cars elsewhere will not create or cause a new problem on Monmouth.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mr_bunny wrote:
[quote]
There are four "yield to pedestrian" signs installed at Monmouth and Pavonia, but drivers don't care because police don't enforce them. Yield signs do not work.

jeeze, I thought I was the only one who had a problem with this intersection. Drivers absolutely IGNORE these signs, the intersection needs to be changed to a 3 way stop to be safe.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 17:25
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Of course I don't stop if nobody is waiting to cross!

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:

As i said above:

"On days when I need to drive into the city, I take Baldwin to Newark, left on 7th under the TPKE, left on Monmouth, right on 10th, left on Erie, then to the tunnel. I am far from alone in this regard."

I don't see what this has to do with stop signs on Erie Street. There is already a flashing signal on 10th and Erie, and the problems of speeding cars at that intersection are mitigated by the traffic light on 9th and Erie. The real problem on Erie is speeding traffic between Bay and Fifth Street, and sometimes at Seventh Street. 9th and 6th have a light, and 8th already has a stop sign. So anyone coming down Newark Avenue and cutting down 7th Street already has traffic signals at 8th, 9th, and 10th Street. Anyone coming off Newark Avenue and cutting down 5th to Erie has a traffic signal at 6th, and the only intersection without some sort of signal is 7th. So the portion of roadway most altered by new stop signs would be everything south of 5th Street. For traffic coming east on Newark, that would mean traveling as far southeast as 3rd, 1st or Erie to simply get onto Erie. And then of course, there is the issue of traffic on Newark, and buses picking up and discharging passengers on Newark, and so I contend that very few people traveling east on Newark Avenue are getting onto Erie Street south of 5th; most of the traffic on the most dangerous portion of Erie is then not originating from Newark Avenue.

My original statement was in response to this:

Quote:

If you focus a solution solely on Erie Street to the exclusion of the other adjacent and nearby streets, you will quite literally, move the problem around.

I am contending that addressing Erie street's traffic issues will not "move the problem around" because traffic flowing from Erie can't easily get to Monmouth Street to use that as a substitute, and Jersey and Marin are both safer roads for the sort of volume on Erie. The fact that Monmouth also has a problem is irrelevant; it either already has a problem or it doesn't, and fixing Erie street will not aggravate or create a problem because Monmouth Street and Erie Street are not good substitutes for each other.

The anecdotal evidence that you have presented, that you and many others from up on top of the Palisade already, currently, at present drive down Monmouth suggests only that Monmouth already, presently, has a problem. Correcting Erie Street by sending cars elsewhere will not create or cause a new problem on Monmouth.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Driving down erie and stopping at every cross walk when there is nobody crossing is just as dangerous as not stopping.

People not paying attention will rear-end you.

Just drive down erie at 25mph and if there is someone crossing , gently slow to a stop to let them cross.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
One thing we can all do to help, is drive along these streets at 25 MPH ourselves.

Particularly during busy times I take great pleasure in driving Manila or Erie at 25 MPH, stopping at every crosswalk to let folks cross, consciously oblivous of the assholes behind having heart attacks as they honk and pound on their steering wheels.

Of course, I only drive the roads for necessary journey's, I am not saying I drive up and down just to cause an obstruction, tempting though it may be. In fact usually I ride my bicycle.

I hope I don't get shot one of these days.

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

If you actually spent time observing Monmouth Street traffic during the morning and evening rush hours, reasonable people would conclude otherwise.

Monmouth may have its own problems, but the Monmouth does not connect to the same places as Erie does. Travelers on Erie will not simply move to Monmouth Street because it doesn't accomplish the same thing.

Glad your crystal ball is still working as well as ever.

As i said above:

Monmouth to 10th does connect to Erie, and the same exact entrance into Holland tunnel traffic that Erie itself does. You're presuming that all cars using the local roads to get to the tunnel are originating from downtown, when that is hardly the case.

Coming from the west of the turnpike (and the turnpike itself), whether via Newark Ave, Columbus, Montgomery, or Grand, Monmouth is a northbound through street that will become all the more desirable if Erie has a stop sign on every corner.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

If you actually spent time observing Monmouth Street traffic during the morning and evening rush hours, reasonable people would conclude otherwise.

Monmouth may have its own problems, but the Monmouth does not connect to the same places as Erie does. Travelers on Erie will not simply move to Monmouth Street because it doesn't accomplish the same thing.

Quote:

There are four "yield to pedestrian" signs installed at Monmouth and Pavonia, but drivers don't care because police don't enforce them. Yield signs do not work.

I'm talking about putting the signs literally in the middle of the road, not on stop signs or sign post on the curb, literally in the middle of the road so that drivers must slow down to avoid hitting them.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if this would solve any of these problems. One can dream, right?

Resized Image

(Click to enlarge)

Posted on: 2008/4/4 8:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Many individuals, neighborhood groups, municipal, state and regional groups were involved in the 1.5 year, 184 pg study done by Stantec / AKRF / Stump-Hausman / Medina that was published on July 10, 2007 in a FINAL REPORT as the:

JERSEY CITY REGIONAL
WATERFRONT ACCESS AND
DOWNTOWN CIRCULATION
STUDY

Measured Circulation traffic flows for Erie, Monmouth, Jersey, Christopher Columbus, etc are included as are suggestions, prioritized.Those of us who went to the meetings and spoke for the record over that almost 2 yr period are on the web site. However, you will note that even though that study was done this new one is being done by JC municipality as apparently having so many expert groups with expert methodologies and neighborhood feedback runs counter to what one may obtain in an upcoming mayoral elelction to rationalize and justify what one has already pre-determined.

Quote:
Downtown forecast: Traffic hell

Saturday, July 14, 2007

By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A study commissioned by Jersey City has concluded that by the year 2020 traffic in the Downtown area will reach the full capacity of the current roadway system.

The $176,00 federally funded "Jersey City Regional Waterfront and Downtown Circulation Study," 11/2 years in the works, was undertaken in order to come up with solutions to the increasing crowding on city streets.

To deal with this impending gridlock, the study's consultant, Stantec, makes several recommendations, both large - extending the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail System along the Sixth Street Embankment through the Bergen Arches into Secaucus - and small - changing the timing of traffic signals to speed traffic flow.

"As the fastest-growing city in the state, it is imperative that we look at all options available in alleviating the tremendous congestion in the Downtown area," said Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

The price tag for all the recommendations comes to well over $300 million. The mayor and City Council will review the recommendations and set priorities, city officials said. City Planning Director Bob Cotter said funding for the projects is expected to come from the federal government.

The most controversial proposal is to extend Jersey Avenue from where it currently ends, just behind the Jersey City Medical Center, through Liberty State Park to Audrey Zapp Drive.

"Our main concern is a Jersey Avenue road would be a magnet for rush-hour commuters . diminish the peaceful experience for people who come to the park," said Sam Pesin, president of the Friends of Liberty State Park.

Naomi Hsu, a city planner, said she doubted the two-way, two-lane road with bicycle paths would become a rush-hour thoroughfare, since a light rail crossing of Jersey Avenue would naturally slow traffic and discourage commuters from using that route.

The study also recommends building a ramp across Montgomery Street, at the Christopher Columbus Drive exit of the Turnpike, as well as building an 11th Street viaduct exit from the Turnpike that would lead Downtown.

The full study can be found at www.downtownjcras.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 180 of 184 Stantec / AKRF / Stump-Hausman / Medina
July 10, 2007 F I N A L R E P O R T
9.0 Public Participation Process
The public outreach effort for this project consisted of a two-part process to ensure that
the project followed an open public process format. The steering committee
represented the first part of the public outreach and was created to guide the project,
help to collect information, and obtain input from major stakeholders and concerned
organizations. The steering committee included representatives from the following
project groups:

? Public and Quasi-Public
? Jersey City Department of Housing, Economic
Development and Commerce
? Jersey City Division of City Planning
? Jersey City Division of Engineering
? Jersey City Traffic and Transportation
? Jersey City Planning Board
? Jersey City Board of Education
? Jersey City Economic Development Corporation
? Jersey City Redevelopment Agency
? Hudson County Engineering
? Hudson County Improvement Authority
? Hudson County Planning
? Hudson County Transportation Management Association
? Liberty Science Center
? Liberty State Park
? New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
? New Jersey Department of Transportation
? New Jersey Transit
? New Jersey Turnpike Authority
? North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority
? Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
? Development and Business Community
? Colgate Property Owners Association
? Goldman Sachs
? Hartz Mountain Industries, Inc.
? Mack-Cali Real Estate
? Newport Associates Development Company
? Community Groups
? Harsimus Cove Association
? Friends of Liberty State Park
? Historic Paulus Hook Association
? Van Vorst Park Association
? Lafayette Neighborhood Action Committee
? Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association
? Other
? Jersey City Medical Center
? New York Waterway
? Voorhees Transportation Center

Posted on: 2008/4/4 4:05
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 7:43
From HPJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monmouth is very bad during the commute hours. I cross at 8th street and it is always a dash between cars. Honking horns and middle fingers is how I get greeted in the morning.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

G_Elkind wrote:
Quote:
The traffic situation on Erie is fairly unique

Nice arm chair reply.

+1

On days when I need to drive into the city, I take Baldwin to Newark, left on 7th under the TPKE, left on Monmouth, right on 10th, left on Erie, then to the tunnel. I am far from alone in this regard.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 3:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The traffic situation on Erie is fairly unique

Nice arm chair reply.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 2:45

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017