Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: WFMU Marathon "greatest radio station on the planet"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
PLEDGE to your local freeform radio station!!!

wfmu.org

We can do it and we MUST do IT! It's the final three days of WFMU's 2013 Marathon and we're $159 thousand away from our goal. We can do it but only with your help! Make a pledge from this page or call us now at 800-989-9368. Our annual on-air fundraising party runs through this Sunday March 17th at Midnight! Check out the new 2013 swag, featuring two great t-shirts, a truckload of new DJ Premiums, and more!

Posted on: 2013/3/16 0:32

Re: Sounds like WFUV on my block!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just discovered them, pretty fantastic!

Posted on: 2013/3/14 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
The guy on my block told me they put the loudest truck here because it's by abandoned factories, not a neighborhood! Huh?

Is the company or the city required to send notices out the residents, that the noise will be constant for the next two weeks for 8-9 hours a day?

The guy also told me that this is the first times the last time the mains were cleaned were fifty years ago!

Posted on: 2010/4/30 18:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/29 2:14
Group:
Registered Users
These guys are all over (down)town. I passed by a couple of trucks on my walk to work today and stopped to watch. Could not help notice the *smell* .

Posted on: 2010/4/30 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
The water mains are being cleaned by this huge truck. The LOUD DRONING sound is driving me crazy! Not sure if they are doing it city wide, but they will be here m-f for the next two weeks.

I think we're neighbors. It is annoying and makes me glad that I leave for work. At least we'll have clean water mains!

Posted on: 2010/4/29 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jrnotjunior wrote: Does WFMU ever do anything in Jersey City? It seems to me that although they're located in Jersey City, they don't do a lot to promote the city. But I could be wrong - I only listen to certain programs (mostly on the weekends)
Yes, depending on the individual program host. Unlike many stations, since FMU's "sound" differs with each host, some who are rotated out and others brought forth on an annual basis, the station depends on them to decide what to promote as far as music. WFMU does host occasional record sales in front of the station and online each of the program hosts will promote music that appears in JC, boken, NYC and other parts. WFMU's original location was East Orange, NJ out of Upsala College. They don't exist to be a booster for any place instead they properly focus on music which is why they are known throughout the world. --------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://wfmu.org
WFMU-FM is a listener-supported, non-commercial radio station broadcasting at 91.1 Mhz FM in Jersey City, NJ, right across the Hudson from lower Manhattan. It is currently the longest running freeform radio station in the United States. The station also broadcasts to the Hudson Valley and Lower Catskills in New York, Western New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania via its 90.1 signal at WMFU in Mount Hope, NY. The station maintains an extensive online presence at WFMU.ORG which includes live audio streaming in several formats, over 8 years of audio archives, podcasts and a popular blog. Rolling Stone Magazine, The Village Voice, CMJ and the New York Press have all at one time or another called WFMU "the best radio station in the country" and the station has also been the subject of feature stories in The New York Times and on the BBC. In recent years the station has gained a large international following due its online operations and counts Simpson's creator Matt Groening, film director Jim Jarmusch and Velvet Underground founder Lou Reed, among others, as devoted fans of the station. WFMU's programming ranges from flat-out uncategorizable strangeness to rock and roll, experimental music, 78 RPM Records, jazz, psychedelia, hip-hop, electronica, hand-cranked wax cylinders, punk rock, gospel, exotica, R&B, radio improvisation, cooking instructions, classic radio airchecks, found sound, dopey call-in shows, interviews with obscure radio personalities and notable science-world luminaries, spoken word collages, Andrew Lloyd Webber soundtracks in languages other than English as well as Country and western music. All of the station's programming is controlled by individual DJs and is not beholden to any type of station-wide playlist or rotation schedule. Experimentation, spontaneity and humor are among the station's most frequently noted distinguishing traits. WFMU does not belong to any existing public radio network, and close to 100% of its programming originates at the station. Periodically, the station holds board meetings which are open to the public. More information can be found here. HOW DOES WFMU RECEIVE ITS FUNDING? To sustain our commitment to independent radio, WFMU's primary source of support comes from listener contributions made during our annual on-air fundraising marathon and revenue generated from our annual Record Fair. WFMU does not accept underwriting or corporate sponsorships. We receive some support from foundations and government grants, as long as they do not contain conditions that determine our programming content or restrict our independence. WFMU is not a member of any public radio networks nor are we affiliated with any colleges or institutions. Shortly before the closing of Upsala College on May 31, 1995, WFMU purchased the broadcasting license from them and is now fully independent. At the cost of accepting the burden of ghastly new expenses, WFMU's autonomy opened great new opportunities for high media subversion. WFMU's license is now owned by Auricle Communications, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit group managed by current and former WFMU staff members and listeners. HOW CAN I LISTEN TO WFMU ON THE WEB? Our signal is now available live, free of charge, over the web! See our audio page at wfmu.org/ssaudionet.shtml for more info and updates. WHY ISN'T MY FAVORITE SHOW ON THE AIR ANYMORE? WFMU changes its programming schedule twice a year, usually in October and May. There are many reasons why shows may not appear on new schedules, but the most common reason of all is that the DJ simply wanted to take a break. But there are many other reasons as well, and sometimes the DJ's reason is personal and therefore not made public. As Program Director, Brian Turner also occasionally takes programs off the schedule temporarily to allow for flexibility and to afford newer shows the same opportunity older shows were once given - the chance to get on the air in the first place. For more detailed explanations of why particular shows are not on the air, it's recommended to e-mail Brian Turner directly HOW DO I REACH THE STATION For individual staff members, see our staff contact page at wfmu.org/staff.html Our snail-mail address is: WFMU PO Box 2011 Jersey City, NJ 07303 Station Manager: Ken Freedman Assistant General Manager: Liz Berg Program and Music Director: Brian Turner Volunteer Director: Scott Williams Listener Services Director / Swag Inquiries: Joe McGasko Technology Director: Doron G. Licensing Director: Jason Sigal Folks wishing to have their music reviewed should send packages to Brian Turner at PO Box 5101, Hoboken, NJ 07030. On-air telephone: (201) 200-9368 Office telephone: (201) 521-1416

Posted on: 2010/4/28 20:38
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jrnotjunior wrote: Does WFMU ever do anything in Jersey City? It seems to me that although they're located in Jersey City, they don't do a lot to promote the city. But I could be wrong - I only listen to certain programs (mostly on the weekends)
Yes, depending on the individual program host. Unlike many stations, since FMU's "sound" differs with each host, some who are rotated out and others brought forth on an annual basis, the station depends on them to decide what to promote as far as music. WFMU does host occasional record sales in front of the station and online each of the program hosts will promote music that appears in JC, boken, NYC and other parts. WFMU's original location was East Orange, NJ out of Upsala College. They don't exist to be a booster for any place instead they properly focus on music which is why they are known throughout the world. --------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://wfmu.org
WFMU-FM is a listener-supported, non-commercial radio station broadcasting at 91.1 Mhz FM in Jersey City, NJ, right across the Hudson from lower Manhattan. It is currently the longest running freeform radio station in the United States. The station also broadcasts to the Hudson Valley and Lower Catskills in New York, Western New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania via its 90.1 signal at WMFU in Mount Hope, NY. The station maintains an extensive online presence at WFMU.ORG which includes live audio streaming in several formats, over 8 years of audio archives, podcasts and a popular blog. Rolling Stone Magazine, The Village Voice, CMJ and the New York Press have all at one time or another called WFMU "the best radio station in the country" and the station has also been the subject of feature stories in The New York Times and on the BBC. In recent years the station has gained a large international following due its online operations and counts Simpson's creator Matt Groening, film director Jim Jarmusch and Velvet Underground founder Lou Reed, among others, as devoted fans of the station. WFMU's programming ranges from flat-out uncategorizable strangeness to rock and roll, experimental music, 78 RPM Records, jazz, psychedelia, hip-hop, electronica, hand-cranked wax cylinders, punk rock, gospel, exotica, R&B, radio improvisation, cooking instructions, classic radio airchecks, found sound, dopey call-in shows, interviews with obscure radio personalities and notable science-world luminaries, spoken word collages, Andrew Lloyd Webber soundtracks in languages other than English as well as Country and western music. All of the station's programming is controlled by individual DJs and is not beholden to any type of station-wide playlist or rotation schedule. Experimentation, spontaneity and humor are among the station's most frequently noted distinguishing traits. WFMU does not belong to any existing public radio network, and close to 100% of its programming originates at the station. Periodically, the station holds board meetings which are open to the public. More information can be found here. HOW DOES WFMU RECEIVE ITS FUNDING? To sustain our commitment to independent radio, WFMU's primary source of support comes from listener contributions made during our annual on-air fundraising marathon and revenue generated from our annual Record Fair. WFMU does not accept underwriting or corporate sponsorships. We receive some support from foundations and government grants, as long as they do not contain conditions that determine our programming content or restrict our independence. WFMU is not a member of any public radio networks nor are we affiliated with any colleges or institutions. Shortly before the closing of Upsala College on May 31, 1995, WFMU purchased the broadcasting license from them and is now fully independent. At the cost of accepting the burden of ghastly new expenses, WFMU's autonomy opened great new opportunities for high media subversion. WFMU's license is now owned by Auricle Communications, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit group managed by current and former WFMU staff members and listeners. HOW CAN I LISTEN TO WFMU ON THE WEB? Our signal is now available live, free of charge, over the web! See our audio page at wfmu.org/ssaudionet.shtml for more info and updates. WHY ISN'T MY FAVORITE SHOW ON THE AIR ANYMORE? WFMU changes its programming schedule twice a year, usually in October and May. There are many reasons why shows may not appear on new schedules, but the most common reason of all is that the DJ simply wanted to take a break. But there are many other reasons as well, and sometimes the DJ's reason is personal and therefore not made public. As Program Director, Brian Turner also occasionally takes programs off the schedule temporarily to allow for flexibility and to afford newer shows the same opportunity older shows were once given - the chance to get on the air in the first place. For more detailed explanations of why particular shows are not on the air, it's recommended to e-mail Brian Turner directly HOW DO I REACH THE STATION For individual staff members, see our staff contact page at wfmu.org/staff.html Our snail-mail address is: WFMU PO Box 2011 Jersey City, NJ 07303 Station Manager: Ken Freedman Assistant General Manager: Liz Berg Program and Music Director: Brian Turner Volunteer Director: Scott Williams Listener Services Director / Swag Inquiries: Joe McGasko Technology Director: Doron G. Licensing Director: Jason Sigal Folks wishing to have their music reviewed should send packages to Brian Turner at PO Box 5101, Hoboken, NJ 07030. On-air telephone: (201) 200-9368 Office telephone: (201) 521-1416

Posted on: 2010/4/28 20:37
Resized Image

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/7 13:01
Group:
Registered Users
Does WFMU ever do anything in Jersey City? It seems to me that although they're located in Jersey City, they don't do a lot to promote the city.

But I could be wrong - I only listen to certain programs (mostly on the weekends)

Posted on: 2010/4/28 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
Oh yea, WFMU not WFUV. Thanks for catching that. I like WFUV.
MY opinion.

I love FUV too. I also love and listen to WKCR, WBGO WWOZ and WNUR, most of which I support as well. Since my musical taste covers Avant to Zydeco, no one station covers all my musical interests, but JC's own WFMU, after over 50 years, all radio hosts who determine their own programs, live broadcasts in the studio or in the field, best record/cd fair in NYC area, all seem to make it #1 imo and many others.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 19:51
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh yea, WFMU not WFUV. Thanks for catching that. I like WFUV.
MY opinion.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ms_Taggart wrote:
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
The water mains are being cleaned by this huge truck. The LOUD DRONING sound is driving me crazy! Not sure if they are doing it city wide, but they will be here m-f for the next two weeks.

why would you disparage wfmu? they are one of the finest independent radio stations on earth!

Second to Album 88 of course...

Methinks I does know who you are!

Posted on: 2010/4/28 18:47
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:

why would you disparage wfmu? they are one of the finest independent radio stations on earth!

Second to Album 88 of course...

Posted on: 2010/4/28 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:

Posted on: 2010/4/28 18:33
Resized Image

Sounds like WFUV on my block!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/28 18:03

Re: WFMU's 50th: 1958-2008 "greatest radio station on the planet"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JTCdwntwn wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
68-08

40???

yes cory it's 40.

The date of 1968 is in error. See NYT article at start of thread:

"If any place was going to mark Fidel Castro?s role in history by unearthing Jay Chevalier, it figured to be WFMU-FM (91.1), which went on the air the year before he came to power in 1959. The station, which is independent and noncommercial, is celebrating its 50th birthday this week during its annual as-brief-as-possible beg-athon, but if Mr. Castro has his spot in history, remarkably, WFMU does too."

Posted on: 2010/3/10 14:26
Resized Image

Re: WFMU's 50th: 1968-2008 "greatest radio station on the planet"
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks in advance to all that have supported our lovely WFMU. I am a DJ there and have been volunteering for years! What makes the station so amazing is that we have the FREEDOM to be able to play whatever we want! We can play the droning stuff because who the hell else does?! We can play the noise and experimental along with the mainstream.... because we have NOONE telling us what to play! We don't have to listen to the MAN... we don't have to because they pay money telling us how to program.... We don't have to listen to anyone but our gut instincts! That is the beauty of the station. If you don't like what you are hearing, come back in 5 minutes. That was always my motto for the station.

So you SHOULD pledge just to support FREEFORM and freedom! You should support because there is NOTHING out there like us! You should support us cause hell, we are in your back yard! NYC radio is uninspiring and commercial ridden. We have great events, great fundraising and AMAZING listeners! That is what makes us the best. I will always support WFMU!

Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
If I donate, will they stop playing that droning on crap and the other stuff that gives me a headache?!?

Posted on: 2010/3/9 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If I donate, will they stop playing that droning on crap and the other stuff that gives me a headache?!?

Posted on: 2010/3/9 2:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/28 21:32
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
68-08

40???

yes cory it's 40.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 20:43
“So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
68-08

40???

Posted on: 2010/3/7 8:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
We in Jersey City are among the luckiest on the planet to have WFMU in our backyard, hailed as "the greatest radio station on the planet". Show them that it's not just NY and Brooklyn that realize what a gem they are, and pledge during their ongoing Marathon. WFMU's 2010 Marathon is ON, running from now until March 14th. Make a pledge here or call us at 800-989-9368 to keep WFMU humming for another 12 months. We've got a fab new batch of Swag and DJ Premiums for the taking! Help us spread the word about the marathon by putting a badge or banner on your website or by tweeting about it -more info here. You can see the full schedule of upcoming DJ tag-teams on our marathon schedule page. And if your company has an employee matching donation program, hook us up with the extra coins! Pledge to the WFMU Marathon!

Posted on: 2010/3/7 1:25
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Okay, folks, cough it up for WFMU, whether you've listened for years and never pledged or your sonic universe has remained uninformed about WFMU, which has for 50 years brought incredible music first from America and now from all over the world.

In fact, since I listen to so much of FMU I decided finally to pledge to Transpacific Sound Paradise, hosted each week by Rob Weisberg and with Tamara for the Marathon.

Transpacific Sound Paradise: PLAYLISTS and AUDIO ARCHIVES

Transpacific Sound Paradise: Popular and Unpopular Music From Around the World with Rob Weisberg is heard on Saturdays 6pm - 9pm on WFMU 91.1 FM in the New York Metropolitan area and 90.1 in New York's Hudson Valley. Archived shows with playlists and links below. Or click here and you can listen to WFMU live online right this very second.

It's going on NOW so tune in, pledge by phone or online and share in what is one of Jersey City's great treasures. Even folks in Portland, Oregon realize the aural wonder of WFMU.

Pledge by going to the site below

http://www.wfmu.org/marathon

or call 800-989-9368

Barbes in Brooklyn
Resized Image

Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Howdy Neighbors,

This is Jersey City's own (since they moved here from East Orange in '98) and this is the last week to make a donation to WFMU during their marathon fundraiser AND 50th Anniversary. Go to this link NOW and show you've got some ears!

http://www.wfmu.org/

If you are among the poor, ill-informed who have never listened to WFMU.org, do yourself a favor and tune in first to the website to pick a program you might like among the many great programs, or even better just tune in anytime to surprise yourself with what radio stations used to sound like in the beginning of free-form fm radio before Clear Channel's robots and "Jack" took over:

[/quote]

Posted on: 2008/3/9 0:55
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
WFMU listeners (you know who you are!)

This is it! The final weekend of WFMU's 50th anniversary fundraising marathon. HELP WFMU meet their goals by making a secure online pledge at http://www.wfmu.org or call 800-989-9368 and show your love for WFMU. The 50th Anniversary Marathon concludes Sunday night 3/9/08 from 7pm to Midnight with the Hoof and Mouth Sinfonia Grand Finale Show.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/3/8 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

I'll be making my pledge in support of either Doug Schulkind's fantastic music program, "Give the Drummer Some" or Rex's "Fool's Paradise"Pick out a program and make your donation by this Sunday!

Resized Image

Rex's Cannibal Stew: A hearty selection of 50/60s rockers and R&B boppers about voodoo, safaris, gorillas, headhunters and jungle love.
Resized Image
Fool's Paradise examines recorded music located somewhere between low brow and no brow.

Vintage rockabilly, R & B, blues, vocal groups, garage, instrumentals, hillbilly, soul and surf set the stage for a three hour sonic excursion to nowhere. Longtime devotees known as Fool's Paradise Faithfuls tune in every Saturday to give their lives a sense of meaning and order, as well as rhythym. First-time listeners and underage girls are encouraged to do the same.

Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Howdy Neighbors,

This is Jersey City's own (since they moved here from East Orange in '98) and this is the last week to make a donation to WFMU during their marathon fundraiser AND 50th Anniversary. Go to this link NOW and show you've got some ears!

If you are among the poor, ill-informed who have never listened to WFMU.org, do yourself a favor and tune in first to the website to pick a program you might like among the many great programs, or even better just tune in anytime to surprise yourself with what radio stations used to sound like in the beginning of free-form fm radio before Clear Channel's robots and "Jack" took over:

Posted on: 2008/3/7 4:10
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Ben Gibbard, Ted Leo, and Patton Oswalt on WFMU's Best Show

Last night, Tom Scharpling and his Best Show on Jersey City/New York radio station WFMU, celebrated a milestone. With the help of special guests Ted Leo, Ben Gibbard, and Patton Oswalt, Scharpling raised over $50,000 for this year's WFMU pledge drive.

The mood in the studio was electric from the get-go, as Scharpling and his esteemed guest stars were joined by a small army of volunteers, WFMU staffers, and FOTs. Highlights from the show included Gibbard and Leo performing a duet of Scharpling-proclaimed "worst song ever" "Porcupine Pie", and a special appearance by the Famous Flamer, who happened to sound an awful lot like Patton Oswalt. After victoriously surpassing the $50,000 mark, Scharpling, Oswalt, Gibbard and Leo joined together for a rousing rendition of ABBA's "Take a Chance on Me."

If you missed it, you can listen to this week's Best Show, along with the rest of WFMU's excellent Marathon programming, at http://www.wfmu.org/recentarchives.php.

Those of you who pledged $75 or more during last night's show can look forward to receiving the Best Show on WFMU WE DID IT AGAIN Fun Pack, featuring stickers, buttons, a gorgeous full-color poster by Neil Numberman, and an exclusive Patton Oswalt CD EP titled Frankensteins and Gumdrops.

If you missed the show, it's not too late to pledge; the WFMU Marathon goes on through Sunday! Head on over to https://www.wfmu.org/marathon/pledge.php and show your support for one of the last remaining bastions of truly independent, freeform radio!

Posted on:
Photos here

Posted on: 2008/3/6 0:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
WFMU rules!!

Posted on: 2008/3/5 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFMU

Recognition and Cultural Influence

WFMU was named "Best Radio Station in the Country" by Rolling Stone magazine for four consecutive years (1991-1994), and has also been dubbed the best radio station in either NYC or the US by The Village Voice, New York Press, and CMJ, among others. The station also won three awards ("Best Specialty Programming", "Most Eclectic Programming", and "Music Director Most Likely To Never Sell Out") at the 2006 CMJ College Radio Awards.

A New York Times Magazine feature article called WFMU "a station whose name has become like a secret handshake among a certain tastemaking cognoscenti", and cites Velvet Underground founder Lou Reed, The Simpsons creator Matt Groening, filmmaker Jim Jarmusch and playwright Eric Bogosian as avowed fans of the station.

Other notable fans and supporters of WFMU include Neutral Milk Hotel frontman Jeff Mangum, screenwriter/director Ethan Coen, MAKE magazine editor-in-chief and Boing Boing co-founder Mark Frauenfelder, Led Zeppelin lead singer Robert Plant, musician Suzanne Vega, artist Cindy Sherman, indie rock superstar Ted Leo, Sonic Youth guitarists Lee Ranaldo[4] and Thurston Moore, comic book artist and writer Evan Dorkin, The Cars vocalist/record producer Ric Ocasek and television talk-show host Conan O'Brien.

WFMU is credited for playing a large part in the early-90s resurgence of the Exotica and Lounge music phenomenon, via WFMU DJ Irwin Chusid and his role in the re-issue of the music of Esquivel. Chusid also popularized the acceptance of "outsider music" as a genuine musical genre, through his weekly (and now defunct) Incorrect Music show on WFMU. The discovery and popularization of "outsider" artists such as Jandek and The Langley Schools Music Project can be directly attributed to Chusid and his programming on WFMU.

The name of the indie-rock sub-genre now known as "Lo-Fi" music originated at WFMU in the 1980s, with DJ William Berger's weekly program, "Lo-Fi."

The Air America Radio show The Majority Report had its origins on WFMU in 2003, when Janeane Garofalo and Sam Seder appeared as guests on The Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling, and as a result of the appearance, were later approached by Air America Radio to host their own show on the fledgling "liberal" radio network.

Although WFMU has traditionally eschewed news-oriented programming, the station volunteered its airwaves in September, 2001 to become the temporary home in the New York area for Amy Goodman's Democracy Now! program (which was renamed Democracy Now! In Exile), after it was "banished" from WBAI and the Pacifica Radio Network during a highly controversial "coup" of WBAI's station management by Pacifica's national Board of Directors.

In a similar example of its support of community broadcasting, WFMU began voluntarily hosting the webcast of legendary New Orleans Jazz station, WWOZ, when its studio and transmitter were destroyed in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in August 2005. WFMU also took online donations on behalf of WWOZ, raising over $70,000 towards the rebuilding of the station.

WFMU also received worldwide attention in May of 2001, when national and international media outlets covered DJ Glen Jones's successful attempt to break the Guinness World Record for longest consecutive radio broadcast, staying on the air a full 100 hours, 41 seconds.

Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain was shown reading WFMU's (now defunct) Catalog of Curiosities, on the set during taping breaks of their famous 1993 appearance on MTV Unplugged[5].

An infamous 1990 telephone performance on WFMU by Daniel Johnston was the primary inspiration for filmmaker Jeff Feuerzeig to create the documentary film, The Devil and Daniel Johnston. The film won the award for Best Documentary Director at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival.

The late Jeff Buckley made his radio debut on WFMU in late 1991 and returned numerous times before signing with Columbia Records and achieving international stardom.

In 2006, WFMU was awarded of a grant from the New York State Music Fund, a program created by the Office of the New York State Attorney General to make contemporary music of all genres more available and accessible to diverse audiences and within New York State. WFMU's grant included funds to create a podsafe online music library, to be called The Free Music Archive, which will be launched in late 2008. The Fund grew out of settlements with major recording companies investigated for violating state and federal laws prohibiting "pay for play" (payola). Grant winners were chosen on criteria that included, among other things, their record of broadening awareness of artists, genres or styles with limited access to commercial broadcast or other mass distribution vehicles.[6]

Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Howdy Neighbors,

This is Jersey City's own (since '98 when they moved here)and this is the last week to make a donation to WFMU during their marathon fundraiser AND 50th Anniversary. Go to this link NOW and show you've got some ears! If you are among the poor ill-informed who have never listened to WFMU.org, do yourself a favor and tune in first to the website to pick a program you might like among the many great programs, or even better just tune in anytime to surprise yourself with what radio stations used to sound like in the beginning of free-form fm radio before Clear Channel's robots and "Jack" took over:

Resized Image
February 24, 2008

Our Towns

Looking for Music, but Not ?Celebration,? to Remember Castro? Put the Radio On

Resized Image

By PETER APPLEBOME
JERSEY CITY

Somewhere between Bobby Lee Trammell?s ?Arkansas Twist? and Lula Reed and Freddie King?s ?Do the President Twist?; between the Elite?s ?One Potato? and its flip side, ?Two Potato?; between Slim Gaillard?s ?Atomic Cocktail? and spoken clips from ?Dragnet,? ?The Nutty Professor? and Phyllis Diller, Dave the Spazz really pulled one out of his hat on Thursday night.

?I?ve been waiting 50 years to play that one,? Dave, known outside the studio as Dave Abramson, told his listeners on WFMU radio. That one was Jay Chevalier?s ?Castro Rock? from 1960:

Down in Cuba where they raise sugar cane

Got a brand new dance, it?s a crazy thing

Named after a man by the name of Fidel

Just stand in one spot and shake like ... wellll

It?s the Castro Rock, it?s the Castro Rock

If you ever go to Cuba better learn to do the Castro Rock.

If any place was going to mark Fidel Castro?s role in history by unearthing Jay Chevalier, it figured to be WFMU-FM (91.1), which went on the air the year before he came to power in 1959. The station, which is independent and noncommercial, is celebrating its 50th birthday this week during its annual as-brief-as-possible beg-athon, but if Mr. Castro has his spot in history, remarkably, WFMU does too.

Since its beginning as the radio station at a now-defunct Lutheran college in New Jersey, WFMU-FM has managed to carve out a niche for itself as perhaps the longest-lived and most admired practitioner of free-form radio programming. That now careers from Mr. Abramson?s ?Music to Spazz By? to ?Put the Needle on the Record? by Billy Jam (mostly rap and hip-hop), to Phuj Phactory with Ergo Phizmiz, described as ?bricolage, ballet, sound tracks, antiquarian humor and vintage curios.?

Maybe the film director Jim Jarmusch is being hyperbolic when he proclaims, in the introduction to a book of WFMU art, writing and ephemera, ?Hands down, WFMU is the greatest radio station on the planet.?

But there?s something of a history of modern communications in the survival of a place that managed to mix yin and yang ? controlled chaos and business acumen ? to thrive long after its original home, Upsala College, had gone bankrupt.

?It?s the little engine that could,? said Vin Scelsa, the longtime New York radio figure now at WFUV-FM, who was there for the creation of WFMU?s current form as a student at Upsala in 1968. ?They?ve always remained true to their vision of letting the person on the air be the creator, weaving whatever elements he or she wants to put together.?

For its first decade, WFMU operated much like the French club ? as a student activity broadcasting lectures, Lutheran services and classical music or jazz. Then, amid the ferment of the 1960s, Mr. Scelsa and his pals cooked up a seamless mix of music, noise, talk and satire that lives to this day, after an interregnum in 1969 when the staff walked out and Upsala shut the place down for 10 months.

But it returned, and has since morphed into a world as varied as the one in ?The Lord of the Rings.? True fans, for instance, can endlessly ponder the 72-card set of WFMU Airwave Idols, in which they can find out each D.J.?s most embarrassing record owned, favorite movie and record playing when virginity was lost (those last include Miles Davis?s ?Kind of Blue,? something by Lionel Richie, and ?If I Die, I Die,? by the Virgin Prunes).

WFMU is probably around for two reasons, both linked to Ken Freedman, its general manager since 1985. First, when Upsala went bankrupt, the staff members were prepared to buy the license, make the station independent and later find a new permanent home in a building they bought in Jersey City. The station has a $1.2 million budget, six full-time workers and about 200 volunteers, including almost all the D.J.?s.

Second, and most important, WFMU, to use this year?s political coinage, embraced change in a big way. It put up its Web site (wfmu.org) in 1993, before most of us knew what a Web site was. It began streaming its shows full time in 1997. Instead of being a dinosaur medium eaten up by new technology, it managed to create an international niche brand. So Mr. Abramson occasionally works as a D.J. at weddings in places like Japan and Tucson for people who listen to him on WFMU.

?They know I?m not going to do ?Celebration,? ? he said on Thursday at the station.

Some of the sound snippets in Mr. Abramson?s aural soup came from the 1959 science fiction movie ?Plan 9 From Outer Space.?

?Why is it so important that you want to contact the governments of our Earth??

?Because all you of Earth are idiots!?

Well, maybe not all earthlings, but it seems to some WFMUers that 50 years of this is way too much fun to ask for.

?This is the kind of place that shouldn?t exist but somehow does,? said Tom Scharpling, whose show is modestly titled ?The Best Show on WFMU.?

?I keep thinking the bad guys will win in the end and take it all away, but somehow it all seems to keep working.?

E-mail: peappl@nytimes.com

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Posted on: 2008/3/5 22:37
Resized Image

WFMU's 50th: 1968-2008 "greatest radio station on the planet"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Howdy Neighbors,

This is Jersey City's own and this is the last week to make a donation to WFMU during their marathon fundraiser AND 50th Anniversary. Go to this link NOW and show you've got some ears! If you are among the poor ill-informed who have never listened to WFMU.org, do yourself a favor and tune in first to the website to pick a program you might like among the many great programs, or even better just tune in anytime to surprise yourself with what radio stations used to sound like in the beginning of free-form fm radio before Clear Channel's robots and "Jack" took over:

Resized Image
February 24, 2008

Our Towns

Looking for Music, but Not ?Celebration,? to Remember Castro? Put the Radio On

Resized Image

By PETER APPLEBOME
JERSEY CITY

Somewhere between Bobby Lee Trammell?s ?Arkansas Twist? and Lula Reed and Freddie King?s ?Do the President Twist?; between the Elite?s ?One Potato? and its flip side, ?Two Potato?; between Slim Gaillard?s ?Atomic Cocktail? and spoken clips from ?Dragnet,? ?The Nutty Professor? and Phyllis Diller, Dave the Spazz really pulled one out of his hat on Thursday night.

?I?ve been waiting 50 years to play that one,? Dave, known outside the studio as Dave Abramson, told his listeners on WFMU radio. That one was Jay Chevalier?s ?Castro Rock? from 1960:

Down in Cuba where they raise sugar cane

Got a brand new dance, it?s a crazy thing

Named after a man by the name of Fidel

Just stand in one spot and shake like ... wellll

It?s the Castro Rock, it?s the Castro Rock

If you ever go to Cuba better learn to do the Castro Rock.

If any place was going to mark Fidel Castro?s role in history by unearthing Jay Chevalier, it figured to be WFMU-FM (91.1), which went on the air the year before he came to power in 1959. The station, which is independent and noncommercial, is celebrating its 50th birthday this week during its annual as-brief-as-possible beg-athon, but if Mr. Castro has his spot in history, remarkably, WFMU does too.

Since its beginning as the radio station at a now-defunct Lutheran college in New Jersey, WFMU-FM has managed to carve out a niche for itself as perhaps the longest-lived and most admired practitioner of free-form radio programming. That now careers from Mr. Abramson?s ?Music to Spazz By? to ?Put the Needle on the Record? by Billy Jam (mostly rap and hip-hop), to Phuj Phactory with Ergo Phizmiz, described as ?bricolage, ballet, sound tracks, antiquarian humor and vintage curios.?

Maybe the film director Jim Jarmusch is being hyperbolic when he proclaims, in the introduction to a book of WFMU art, writing and ephemera, ?Hands down, WFMU is the greatest radio station on the planet.?

But there?s something of a history of modern communications in the survival of a place that managed to mix yin and yang ? controlled chaos and business acumen ? to thrive long after its original home, Upsala College, had gone bankrupt.

?It?s the little engine that could,? said Vin Scelsa, the longtime New York radio figure now at WFUV-FM, who was there for the creation of WFMU?s current form as a student at Upsala in 1968. ?They?ve always remained true to their vision of letting the person on the air be the creator, weaving whatever elements he or she wants to put together.?

For its first decade, WFMU operated much like the French club ? as a student activity broadcasting lectures, Lutheran services and classical music or jazz. Then, amid the ferment of the 1960s, Mr. Scelsa and his pals cooked up a seamless mix of music, noise, talk and satire that lives to this day, after an interregnum in 1969 when the staff walked out and Upsala shut the place down for 10 months.

But it returned, and has since morphed into a world as varied as the one in ?The Lord of the Rings.? True fans, for instance, can endlessly ponder the 72-card set of WFMU Airwave Idols, in which they can find out each D.J.?s most embarrassing record owned, favorite movie and record playing when virginity was lost (those last include Miles Davis?s ?Kind of Blue,? something by Lionel Richie, and ?If I Die, I Die,? by the Virgin Prunes).

WFMU is probably around for two reasons, both linked to Ken Freedman, its general manager since 1985. First, when Upsala went bankrupt, the staff members were prepared to buy the license, make the station independent and later find a new permanent home in a building they bought in Jersey City. The station has a $1.2 million budget, six full-time workers and about 200 volunteers, including almost all the D.J.?s.

Second, and most important, WFMU, to use this year?s political coinage, embraced change in a big way. It put up its Web site (wfmu.org) in 1993, before most of us knew what a Web site was. It began streaming its shows full time in 1997. Instead of being a dinosaur medium eaten up by new technology, it managed to create an international niche brand. So Mr. Abramson occasionally works as a D.J. at weddings in places like Japan and Tucson for people who listen to him on WFMU.

?They know I?m not going to do ?Celebration,? ? he said on Thursday at the station.

Some of the sound snippets in Mr. Abramson?s aural soup came from the 1959 science fiction movie ?Plan 9 From Outer Space.?

?Why is it so important that you want to contact the governments of our Earth??

?Because all you of Earth are idiots!?

Well, maybe not all earthlings, but it seems to some WFMUers that 50 years of this is way too much fun to ask for.

?This is the kind of place that shouldn?t exist but somehow does,? said Tom Scharpling, whose show is modestly titled ?The Best Show on WFMU.?

?I keep thinking the bad guys will win in the end and take it all away, but somehow it all seems to keep working.?

E-mail: peappl@nytimes.com

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Posted on: 2008/3/5 5:20
Resized Image

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!