Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: The Embankment Restaurant
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
I see alot of post about price points, what's the average plate/meal come out to?

Posted on: 2009/12/10 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Was supremely bummed by the greek salad and the french onion soup. Think maybe they didn't mix the concentrate in the soup properly, or however they make it, and it was not quite right. They did take it off the bill for us. Greek salad was unique but not in ways that made it better. We are still waiting for a meal that equals the price point. Something feels amiss every time we are there. We'll keep trying and keep hoping. But it always feel like there's some experimenting with uniqueness but it is at the price of not being as good as it could be.

Keep trying & keep hoping ?? Bob Dylan: How many times does a restaurant have to fail before the customer does not return, the answer my friend is blowing in the soup, the answer is blowing in the soup.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Was supremely bummed by the greek salad and the french onion soup. Think maybe they didn't mix the concentrate in the soup properly, or however they make it, and it was not quite right. They did take it off the bill for us. Greek salad was unique but not in ways that made it better. We are still waiting for a meal that equals the price point. Something feels amiss every time we are there. We'll keep trying and keep hoping. But it always feel like there's some experimenting with uniqueness but it is at the price of not being as good as it could be.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went back to the Embankment after staying away for a few months, and was pleasantly surprised.

If you don't mind eating early, they've expanded what I remembered as a Wednesday special to Mon-Fri(4-7pm), Happy Hour 1/2 price appetizer menu is excellent. We ordered a the mussles in white wine sauce (excellent), duck quesadillas (great), crab cake (excellent), and barbecued wings (good).

Can't beat that half price appetizers and Draft Beer. we'll be back, Cheers!

Posted on: 2009/12/10 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Once again, J CITY Theater and The Embankment Restaurant are teaming up to offer a dinner and show package.

Starting on opening night - this Wednesday, December 9th The Embankment Restaurant is offering their $30 prix fixe meal to those seeing our show later that night.

Here's how it works:
Go to www.jcity.org and buy your tickets to our upcoming show: A Tuna Christmas. Print out your receipt and on the night of the performance, take it over to The Embankment!

We recommend that you get to the restaurant around 6:30 to have plenty of time to enjoy their amazing 3 course meal and still have plenty of time to walk over to the theater for the 8pm show.

A Tuna Christmas runs Wednesdays thru Saturdays
December 9th thru 19th.
8pm.
Tix $20.00

252 9th Street.
Hope to see you there!

Clay Cockrell
Executive Producer
J CITY Theater
www.jcity.org
clay@jcity.org

Posted on: 2009/12/6 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Hello everyone,
Clay Cockrell here of J CITY Theater.
For all of you, like me, who are fans of The Embankment Restaurant - I want to let you know that The Embankment Restaurant and J CITY Theater are teaming up to present a "Dinner and Show Package" for $50.00

When you purchase your tickets online for our upcoming production of PASSION ($20.00) - print out your receipt and take it in to The Embankment for a wonderful dinner before the show. ($30.00 prix fixe menu). Offer good only on the date you are seeing the show.

Since the theater and the restaurant are so close, we thought it was a great idea to team up - and we hope you think so too.

Recommended seating time 6:30pm - which should give you plenty of time to enjoy a 3 course meal and casually walk over to the theater for our 8:00pm show.

Hope to see you there.

PASSION opens Wednesday September 23rd and runs Wednesday thru Saturyday - closing October 3rd.

For more information: www.jcity.org

Posted on: 2009/9/21 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
agreement and expanding on the point

Posted on: 2009/6/1 23:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/27 16:58
Group:
Banned
I can't really figure out whether you're trying to agree or disagree with me, but that was sort of my point.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
You can't really compare home cooking to restaurant cooking. They're two very different things.

restaurant menus and dishes are designed to accomidate a certain pace of dining. a good kitchen, executing a well thought out menu should deliver all courses within a certain range, even at peak hours.

The best restaurant I ever cooked in trained you to start dishes x-minutes into it's initial call so that all stations would be firing tables simultaniously, with little to no resting time when everything was clicking.

the "time" and "care" one might equate with home cooking occurs before service. there are certainly hours and hours of prep that go into every breakfast/lunch/dinner service, but they are accomplished in advance so that we do not have to wait during meals.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 22:12

Re: What's Going on at The Embankment?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tghost wrote:
They will be closed today and next Monday. I believe they're having their wood floors replaced. They've been planning it for awhile.

That's exactly what I heard also.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 19:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/27 16:58
Group:
Banned
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:
I agree with the AlexanderCan's point about good food needing time, anyone who regularly cooks at home knows that food made with fresh ingredients takes time.

You can't really compare home cooking to restaurant cooking. They're two very different things.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 18:21

Re: What's Going on at The Embankment?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/23 11:08
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
They will be closed today and next Monday. I believe they're having their wood floors replaced. They've been planning it for awhile.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 17:36

What's Going on at The Embankment?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/18 13:49
From Journal Square Area
Group:
Registered Users
When I was driving by this morning, the front door was open, and there was a crew inside that appeared to be doing some repainting or remodeling. My g/f and I live around the corner, and it's one of our favorite places in J.C. We were even considering holding our wedding reception there! Please tell me it isn't closing!

Posted on: 2009/6/1 17:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 0:29
Group:
Registered Users
Ate dinner here for the first time. I recommend the duck ravioli! A bit more than I typically spend on dinner, but I will definitely return.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 17:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/4 15:38
Group:
Registered Users
Ha. I don't think I've ever had anyone call me that. I'm almost blushing.

I understand people have lives. I really do.

I just don't see the point in being impatient for something like mother's day brunch or good food. I don't know. I'd be mad too if I were waiting a crazy amount of time for things, yet, it seems like the complaints about these restaurants are for a small amount of time.

I get more mad at people that are in front of me in a long line and then get to the front and have no idea what they want. Or people rubber necking it for a broke down car on the othe side of the highway.

I was just trying to say that if one were to order food someplace (especially if it is food for a big table) and it's in front of you in 5 or 10 minutes, you have to wonder how it was cooked and how long ago it was cooked.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexanderCan wrote:
All that I was saying was that for someone to whine about having to wait, what, 20 minutes for breakfast on the busiest brunch day in the restaurant business is what seems irrelevant to me.

Yes, we live in the metro area, but big deal. People don't have the patience to wait 1 minute for things.

(Just look about how many people complain that the path train only runs every 10 minutes or 30 minutes on the weekends! Whaa...I expect nyc quality things/speed but I live in NEW JERSEY).

You don't have to be at a 4 or 5 star restaurant to expect a laid back, leisurely meal.

I don't mind waiting for good food. Even good eggs. Ox and the Embankment are two places that serve quality fare that I don't mind waiting for.

Also, I've been in and out of both places on a friday night with 3 other people in under an hour and a half. That's with 2 or 3 courses and coffee.

Big Deal.

Some of us have lives we need to return to, Spidey.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 21:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
All that I was saying was that for someone to whine about having to wait, what, 20 minutes for breakfast on the busiest brunch day in the restaurant business is what seems irrelevant to me.

Yes, we live in the metro area, but big deal. People don't have the patience to wait 1 minute for things.

(Just look about how many people complain that the path train only runs every 10 minutes or 30 minutes on the weekends! Whaa...I expect nyc quality things/speed but I live in NEW JERSEY).

You don't have to be at a 4 or 5 star restaurant to expect a laid back, leisurely meal.

I don't mind waiting for good food. Even good eggs. Ox and the Embankment are two places that serve quality fare that I don't mind waiting for.

Also, I've been in and out of both places on a friday night with 3 other people in under an hour and a half. That's with 2 or 3 courses and coffee.

Big Deal.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 21:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
Had apps and drinks on Sunday afternoon. Very good. Particularly the duck quesadilla. Place was crowded with Mother's Day people, but was served quickly and pleasantly.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 20:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/1 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
I know good food takes time, but we're talking about Eggs Benedict and Irish Breakfasts here, not Michelin Star fare.

Many restaurants serving similar food of the same quality at similar prices are able to get the food out at a much quicker pace. Even the Merchant (with the same owner as the Embankment) is a lot quicker.

Whoever mentioned about meals in Europe taking hours, that's not really relevant. We are in the metro NY area. The expectation is that food is served promptly. Most successful restaurants can do it.

It's clear that there's a problem in the kitchen that's either process or resource(i.e. staff) related. This could likely be fixed easily.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 17:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/2 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
lazy

Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
From what I saw no but I've only been there one time. Seems like from this thread, probably not.

But just curious, why not just be safe and call and make one?

Posted on: 2009/5/12 21:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/2 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
Just curious, do you think i would need a reservation for 5-6 ppl?

Posted on: 2009/5/12 20:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We really did enjoy it there, that's the reason for my post. I was concerned with the lack of customers. There are not a ton of great, more upscale places in JC so it's nice when one does open and the food and service is good. It's a nice place to take the parents or out of town guests.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 19:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with the AlexanderCan's point about good food needing time, anyone who regularly cooks at home knows that food made with fresh ingredients takes time. I think the only thing people ever want is communication from the waitstaff - I've been to Ox, one of my favorites in JC, numerous times and on the very few times when food is running slow due to a back-up in the kitchen the waitstaff has always kept us in the loop with what's going on. To me that makes the difference between aggravation and acceptance. I've only been to Embankment three times for brunch and each time the food has been good enough if not memorable (they do have Leffe Brown though, might be worth it for that alone), but the service has been good and I have seen them communicate to other tables when the food was running slow. People should expect to wait a reasonable amount of time for well-prepared quality food, but they also deserve a status update from time to time.

To LynnePatrice and 986's point I have to agree - that restaurant is huge and I never see a ton of people in there. Again, only gone for brunch so maybe hit it on a bad day but I've often wondered how they've kept such a large and fairly pricey restaurant open especially given the economic climate.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 14:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was also at the embankment for mother's day. there were 6 of us in total. not really sure how much time our food took, because I was enjoying the company of my family.

Yet, the topic of time it takes for food to cook has come up there before. Talking to one of their waiters gave me all the information I need. Good food takes time. Upon ordering their roast chicken once, I was infromed it would take up to 20 minutes to roast the chicken. How can I argue with a place that is actually cooking my food to order instead of microwaving it or reheating it.

That's like a business lunch I had in the city a month back where one of the people I was sitting with ordered a giant steak medium well and couldn't understand why it takes so long to cook it.

It's odd how this vortex of impatience seems to center in manhattan and sprawl out from there across the land. In Europe people eat for hours. Actually having a conversation with their family and being involved in each other's lives.

Here I've seen grown adults through hissy fits when someone can't get there scooped out low fat cream cheese bagel to them in under a minute. Lady if you are late for work, skip the bagel.

Ranting aside, my meal on mother's day was great. The drinks were great. Service was great. Much like Moxie's Post stated...The Embankment gets it right!

Posted on: 2009/5/12 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Fine, Embankment bashers can stay away. More for me! Adore that place.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 12:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/1 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
I was there last week for happy hour. Service was considerably slow considering there were only 4 other people in the bar area. We also had exceptionally slow service when I went there for brunch back in the spring. Slow service seems to be the common denominator amongst most JC restaurants I have visited.

Been there twice now. Last time was on Sunday (Mother's day). Extremely slow both times. It wasn't that busy when we got there on Sunday either.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 22:41

The Embankment Restaurant
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So last Saturday 4 of us went here, pretty early like around 6:45 and while there were some people at the bar, we were the only table inside the restaurant. We left around 8:00 and at that point there were only 2 other tables that had come in.

What's the deal with this place? Is it more of a week day crowd? The food was really good I thought. Just wondering why it was so dead?

Posted on: 2009/5/11 18:07

Re: Worst Experience at The Embankment

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/12 13:38
From GrovePath
Group:
Registered Users
haha i've never heard anyone called a muppet before, touche, I'm going to have to use that sometime.

I ate at The Embankment last night. Service was excellent; the salads were delicious, the crab and corn chowder was exquisite. Only complaint is that the buns were too thick for my burger. Otherwise, amazing dining experience, will def go back.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 16:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
My boyfriend loves the hamburgers here. They're perfectly cooked and served on a nicely toasted yummy roll--his favorite part--I think it's sourdough bread but I'm not sure. The fries also meet his very picky standards. There are cheaper bars to get a burger but he insists on spending the extra to come here and really enjoy it.

Posted on: 2008/8/7 16:49

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017