Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Vegetarian food in JC?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/4 15:48
Group:
Registered Users
This post was great, thanks!

I've tried Amiya before. It's quite good, but I think I'd rather go to India Square, where the food is also good, and though restaurants in India square don't have the ambiance, the prices are cheaper.

Sawadee's vegetarian mock duck is really good, but a bit too spicy. I tend to like spicy food, but this was just over the top. It's probably the spiciest food that I have consumed this year.

Ibby's falafel is pretty good. Cheap and tasty, a solid meets expectations.

The Brownstone Diner and Pancake Factory is amazing. I am glad I don't live near VVP. I'd be a tank, consuming those yummy pancakes at least 3 times a week.

Sushi Tango was disappointing. Sadly, it was probably the worst vegetarian sushi I've had. I don't regret going, but I am sure I can find better veg sushi elsewhere.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Have you tried Sen Hai Chinese Restaurant for veggie-friendly carry-out?

My younger brother likes getting grub from there and so does one of his buddies.

I've never had their food myself, but I noticed that they recently added some new vegetarian items when I checked out the revised take-out menu they left on my doorstep.

Besides your typical stir-fried dishes like Bean Curd With Broccoli or Sauteed String Beans, they now feature Vegetarian Duck, Vegetarian Sesame Chicken (or Beef) and Vegetarian General Tso's Chicken (or Beef).

They also offer brown rice with most of their entrees -- a nice 'n' healthy alternative to white rice or fried rice.

I just checked out their website and it looks like it hasn't been updated yet with their new dishes (or their new prices!). So you may want to give them a call for details or if you have any particular questions.

Posted on: 2008/7/19 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One more thought on this subject and then I'll retreat for the morning...

Not sure if you're a fan of soy-based mock meats, but Grove Street's Wild Fusion has quite a few of these sorts of dishes on their lengthy menu.

Along the same lines, one or two JCListers have praised Sawadee's vegetarian mock duck in red coconut-curry sauce in this thread. The restaurant is located on Newark Avenue and here's a link to Sawadee's menu for your viewing pleasure.

For those out there who aren't too familiar with veggie-friendly faux meats, see Wikipedia's Imitation Meats article for details.

While I tend to be a meat eater myself, I really like veggie ham and mock abalone (along with a handful of other meat analogues out there).

Posted on: 2008/7/4 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here are some more possibilities for you in your JC dining adventures:

You may want to check out the Brownstone Diner and Pancake Factory at the corner of Grand Street and Jersey Avenue.

While they do serve the carnivores and omnivores among us, they have all kinds of vegetarian-friendly offerings (especially if you eat dairy and eggs) and they open early and close late.

Their extensive menu features sweet potato fries, veggie burgers, pastas, pancakes, salads, omelets, eggplant parmigiana, waffles, panini, juices, shakes, desserts, diet-busting appetizers (cheese quesadillas, fried zucchini sticks, jalapeno poppers, broccoli-and-cheddar potato skins, fried mozzarella sticks), etc.

I brought a vegetarian friend to Brownstone once and she enjoyed her time there.

For take-out or delivery, you may dig Bubby's Burritos on Jersey Avenue (one block south of Van Vorst Park).

Besides burritos, tacos, chips/dips/nachos, wraps, salads, desserts and smoothies, the restaurant also boasts vegetarian chili, vegan chili, tofu sour cream and a lard-free menu.

When my brother and his vegan buddy were crashing at my pad, they both really appreciated all that Bubby's had to offer.

One last place I am surprised I didn't think of sooner: Ibby's Falafel!

You can dine inside or at outdoor tables at their small Grove Street cafe, and they appear to have mastered such veggie favorites as baba ghanoush, hummus, tabouli, stuffed grape leaves, spinach pie and, of course, FALAFEL!

They also have lentil soup on their menu, though you may want to make sure it's not flavored with meat.

When I go there, I get the falafel-and-baba-ghanoush sandwich (even though I am a meat eater) and I find that I always leave satisfied.

Posted on: 2008/7/4 12:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I finally tried the Kitchen Cafe, it was well worth the visit. The food isn't totally veg, but there are lots of veg options.

Posted on: 2008/7/3 22:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
in paulus hook, and not delivering, pretty much at all, but totally worth the trip are
two aprons and kitchen cafe

two aprons is great because you can always take away a lb. of fresh hummus or muhammara.

also never underestimate the drawing power of 2nd. Street Deli's sandwiches and stuffed rolls.

never go to 2nd street or two aprons when you are in a rush because these are old school places where they make your food when you order it...

Posted on: 2008/2/4 11:27

Vegetarian food in JC?

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Are there any vegetarian places in JC besides Subia's and places in India Square?

Thanks,
Rob

Posted on: 2008/2/4 5:32

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact