Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: ANIMAL CRUELTY AT THE HUDSON COUNTY SPCA -- at 480 Johnston Avenue, Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/29 21:03
Group:
Registered Users
The ASPCA is a New York based organization no money you gave them would be given to the Hudson County SPCA. I like to give to local organizations that help the animals of JC.
The two places I give to are The Liberty Humane Society they have an awesome Spay Neuter and adoption program and help the residents of JC how ever they can. I also give to Companion Animal Trust a small cat rescue that helped me with a stray cat. They were very knowledgeable and went out of their way to help me.

Posted on: 2008/1/15 10:41

Re: ANIMAL CRUELTY AT THE HUDSON COUNTY SPCA -- at 480 Johnston Avenue, Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I gave a pretty generous donation to the ASPCA this year. how do I find out if any of it trickles down to these assh*les?

Posted on: 2008/1/15 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
I am going to register my dog and all my dog's friends to vote. By the time this crazy county realizes they are not legitimate voters and are in fact dogs, we will have had enough of an impact to get the lazy, look-the-other-way politicians who allow this to happen out of office.

Cats too. All the stray cats that the SPCA does nothing to even attempt to control. Those cats can register to vote too.

It's a disgrace.

Posted on: 2008/1/15 1:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/29 21:03
Group:
Registered Users
This may not be a picture of the dog from the SPCA. I was at the vet when Animal control brought the dogs in last Wednesday. I saw a white pit with infected skin being weighed. The dog from the SPCA looked worse then the dog in the photo. My friend walks dog their she told me that dog has been there in that condition for months.

Posted on: 2008/1/15 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Does Hecter drive a kick-ass car, or does a member of his family have one? The position Hecter has at the SPCA demands that his pay be one of high impotence....woops importance for the stress he must suffer dealing with animals!

Posted on: 2008/1/14 23:12
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
This is the link to the official state report made in 2003 on the conditions of the NJ state SPCAs. Hudson County was one of the worst.

You can do a "find" search using the word Hudson.

http://www.state.nj.us/sci/pdf/spca.pdf

At that time it was learned the Hudson County SPCA has a million dollars in investments. Where is that money now?

Animals adopted from the shelter are not spayed or neutered while the adoption fees are around $250. The animals are not vetted and medicated if sick. The SPCA collects fees from all the municipalities that it contracts with so WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING Hector?

It is time for the public to demand that it come clean with its finances and to demand that all animals leaving the shelter be spayed or neutered.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 22:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/1/13 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
I hope to God that this story is not true. But God only knows the truth and he is watching. If it is true, I feel bad for these poor little baby animals. My heart cries when I hear stories about animal cruelty.

Posted on: 2008/1/13 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Resized Image

Yeah, what a crime!

The photo that is being used with the story, may NOT be a photo from the Hudson County SPCA and in fact may be a stock photo from another place. As much as it is disturbing to read the current story, anyone who is reading the story automatically assumes that this photo was taken at the Hudson County SPCA. In my opinion was a poor decision on the part of Hoboken411 to post a stock photo as an example and not note it in the caption.

Posted on: 2008/1/13 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HC-SPCA wrote:

Plus there no one that Killed any Dog with a with a shovel,

You may want to research the history, here is a start:
Hits from the Jersey Journal paid archives
:

2000/06/26 Mon Pg 10, 478 words Protesters crowd outside Jersey City SPCA, seek improvements
... Daniel Pronti, a witness to the attack, said yesterday that he was at the pound looking for his daughter's lost dog when he saw Tan deliver six solid blows to the dog with a steel shovel. He said he stood horrified as another witness screamed hysterically and tried to scale a separating fence in order to save the dog. "The dog was down. It just wasn't moving," said Pronti, of Jersey City. "I also noticed deplorable conditions. There was no food or water in any of the cages. It...

2000/06/24 Sat Pg 3, 241 words Cops quiz ex-SPCA worker about beating dog with shovel
... was brought in by Jersey City police yesterday to answer questions about an incident that occurred June 15 at the Johnston Avenue shelter, where he admits hitting a dog with a shovel, police said. Tan, who was not arrested, was questioned about why he hit a dog with a shovel, an incident that was witnessed by two Hudson County residents who called police. Tan, who was immediately fired by shelter Director Jack Shaw, showed up at the shelter looking for his final paycheck. Employees...

2000/06/17 Sat Pg 10, 317 words Shelter employee fired for hitting dog with shovel ........

As much as I appreciate your passion for the Hudson County SPCA (once known as the "Assisi center"), please do not feed us kool-aid, many of us have been here long enough to know what went on. If you want to share information regarding this recent situation, please do! I want to know all the facts and look forward to the results of the investigation, but please don't insult our intelligence with saying that a factual event never happened.

Posted on: 2008/1/13 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
What happened to the shelter's affiliation with the Jersey City Animal Hospital? Dr. Buchholz (sp?)?

Be forth coming and tell us, in your opinion, what the problem is. Is this a money issue?

What happened to the previous veterinarian and are there any vet techs still on staff at the shelter?

Quote:

HC-SPCA wrote:
The animals are be returned to the shelter once the shelter is able to provide evidence that they are affiliated with a Veterinarian, they have instituted a disease control program and that the Veterinarian will care for the sick animals that were confiscated which was done on the same day Joe toke Control of the DOGS go the the shelter and you will see that no animals are kept that way.

Posted on: 2008/1/13 15:46
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HC-SPCA wrote:
The truth is that this is not one of our dogs at the Hudson County S_P_C_A. The Picture being used was never taken in our facility, nor do we even have like our dog runs at all. It is used to get you mad as HELL at us. The writer is very smart for the use of this picture. This is not one of the DOGS taken by JOE FRANK ?. None of our dogs look like THIS DOG. Yes, our dogs are in need?in need of homes.
YOU should have had a disclaimer that the picture was indeed NOT taken at the shelter, but was indicative of cruel treatment of animals in general
Plus there no one that Killed any Dog with a with a shovel, it appears the SPCA Being falsely accused agin BY the liers that Hate the people who work very hard so Here it is MR Joe Frank and Rev Carbajales are both meeting to try to stop the the false accusations The animals are be returned to the shelter once the shelter is able to provide evidence that they are affiliated with a Veterinarian, they have instituted a disease control program and that the Veterinarian will care for the sick animals that were confiscated which was done on the same day Joe toke Control of the DOGS go the the shelter and you will see that no animals are kept that way .Seeing the place is better then beliving in LIES... That why the dogs are being brought back to the SPCA and most of all is sad that most of you did not look in to finding out what really happen Rev carbajales got many death threats on his life but all so on his babys and wife

07/23/2004
Running out of room

With new management, city-run animal shelter hopes to expand
Ricardo Kaulessar
Reporter staff writer

ANIMAL HOUSE - The Liberty Animal Shelter, located near Liberty State Park in Jersey City, is the city's animal shelter that the Liberty Humane Society was awarded a contract to manage at the previous City Council meeting on July 14.
Now that the Liberty Humane Society, a local animal activist group, has taken over one of the city's two shelters, they are hoping to expand it.

Last week, concerned pet lovers sent out an e-mail saying the shelter had run out of room and that the city had to refuse to take in a new stray that was found. They were trying to place existing strays with foster parents as quickly as they could.

Niki Dawson, the current manager of the Liberty Animal Shelter on Jersey City Blvd., said last week that the summertime is kitten season, as many female cats give birth during this time of the year. This puts a burden on shelter space, along with stray dogs that are brought in by Jersey City Animal Control.
"By state law, we're required to keep strays for eight days," said Dawson, who has worked in animal shelters in New York and New Jersey for the past 13 years.

Advertisement
Dawson said that the shelter - after this eight-day period known as a "stray hold" - has one of four options.

"The animals are either adopted out, entrusted to a private rescue group, transferred to another shelter or, as a last option, are euthanized," said Dawson.

Dawson also said that she was "very relieved" about the Jersey City City Council's recent decision to award its management contract of the shelter to Liberty Humane Society, a group that had fought for a new shelter in Jersey City from the beginning.

In the past, the city's only shelter was the old county SPCA on Johnston Avenue, which had been investigated by the state for its poor conditions.

The city terminated its contract with the Hudson County SPCA in 2002 due to overcrowding at the facility as well as alleged incidents of animal abuse, including a dog being hit with a shovel. That's when the newer shelter first got the contract to accept animals for the city.

Now that the LHS has taken over the new shelter, Dawson said, they will be able to go ahead with plans to expand the shelter's space to accommodate more strays.

"It will allow us to go ahead with plans to transform the shelter into a full-service facility," said Dawson.

Taking over

Former Mayor Bret Schundler had begun negotiations for the Liberty Humane Society to take over animal shelter services for Jersey City in the 1990s.

But it was at a recent council meeting on July 14, 2004, that the City Council finally awarded LHS the contract to run the shelter for five years, starting Aug. 1. The city will pay LHS $250,000, plus a 3 percent annual increase.

Currently, it costs the city $278,000 per year to run the shelter.

The shelter, now known as the Liberty Animal Shelter, is located at 235 Jersey City Blvd., across the street from the Liberty Science Center. It has been at its current location since February 2002 and had been run all along by the city with support from LHS.

Diana Jeffrey, president of LHS, said last week that the recent action by the City Council was a "historic moment."

"This resolution passed by the City Council shows that we, as a people in this society, care about animals and the animal owners," said Jeffrey, who has been with LHS for the past four years.

Jeffrey and other members of the Liberty Animal Shelter were in the audience at the previous City Council meeting, where they received applause from City Council members and others in attendance.

Jeffrey, a practicing lawyer, said that while the resolution calls for LHS to take over the management of the shelter in August, she had not received the contract for review at the time of this interview, and it will be several weeks before matters regarding LHS's role in the shelter's management are finalized.

But Jeffrey promised once the LHS took over the management of the shelter, plans would be in place to expand the shelter's capacity, with construction to start in 2005.

LHS was founded in 1998 when members of the Hudson County Animal League left to form an animal shelter. LHS gives homeless cats and dogs a chance to be adopted into loving homes by providing volunteer and financial support to the Liberty Animal Shelter.

Gimme shelter

Among the volunteers who were happy about LHS becoming new managers of the shelter was 13-year-old Mackenzie Lew.

During a visit to the shelter by the Jersey City Reporter, Lew could be seen feeding and playing with Jackson, a two-year-old male domestic shorthaired cat, and Fancy Pants, also a male domestic shorthaired cat who is only 1 year old.

"I like volunteering here a lot, and it's very good if this place continues to provide a home for animals," said Lew.

Earlier this year, LHS signed a 45-year lease for the use of the building.

What about the SPCA?

The other shelter, the SPCA on Johnston Avenue had served previously as Jersey City's official animal shelter until 2002 and is still the only other shelter in the entire city.

The SPCA had been the subject of a statewide investigation in 2000 that uncovered various violations, including the sale of dog food for profit, inadequate veterinary services, and poor record keeping.

In June 2000, it was reported that a SPCA worker had beaten a dog several times with a shovel, which brought about a series of protests leading eventually to the hiring of a new executive director.

But in a recent article in the Jersey City Reporter, current President Stanley Ropotel said that the facility has been running smoothly since he took over almost two years ago.

The SPCA currently has room for 50 or more dogs, as reported in recent articles. It is run solely on donations and only accepts animals from residents. It also has a no-kill policy for animals, and makes efforts to place animals for adoption or to refer them to private services.

Calls to the SPCA were not returned before this article went to press.

Animal control

Recently, LHS announced that it is joining with a group called People for Animals as part of an ongoing effort to offer spay/neuter vouchers for animals to residents of Jersey City. The voucher program enables qualifying Jersey City residents to obtain low-cost spay/neuter services and vaccinations, including the one for rabies, for their pets. There is a co-payment in the amount of $10 per cat and $20 per dog. If a voucher recipient is unable to afford a co-payment, then the voucher will be provided free of charge.

For more information, call the Liberty Animal Shelter at (201) 547-4286 or People for Animals directly at (908) 369-3193. For more information on the services provided by the Hudson County SPCA, call (201) 435-3557.

SIDEBAR

Pet project

The City Council's decision to award the contact to the Liberty Humane Society to run the city's shelter is a struggle that goes back to the Bret Schundler administration, when Schundler proposed to build a shelter near the intersection of Route 440 and Communipaw Avenue. An article in the Jersey City Reporter dated May 21, 2000 chronicled the concerns over the cost and placement of the proposed shelter.

Then-City Councilwoman Melissa Holloway asked, "Where is the money coming from? Who's paying for it? Who owns it?" when the issue was addressed at a City Council meeting on May 10.

But there was support from several council members for the construction of the shelter, including Council President Tom DeGise and councilmen William Gaughan, Mariano Vega, and then-councilperson Rev. Fernando Colon.

Norrice Raynmaker, founder of LHS, pushed for a multi-purpose shelter that would attend to animal obedience training, pet boarding and grooming, veterinary care, spaying and neutering, and licensing. The LHS also advocated for a new shelter they would help run, since the Hudson County SPCA facility, still located on Johnston Avenue, had been under investigation for not complying with state regulations on overcrowding of animals and other violations.

The Schundler proposal eventually failed, but in February 2002, the city eventually opened its own shelter as ties to the SPCA were severed.

The new shelter at its current location was once office space for a construction company. But it soon became a home for 25 dogs and an estimated 20 to 40 cats. The LHS has said that there is little room for the animals kept at the shelter, and they are hoping to expand now. - RK

?The Hudson Reporter 2008
07/23/2004

Posted on: 2008/1/13 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Funny how the last two posters both joined at 2:05 AM Today! coincidence?

Posted on: 2008/1/13 13:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/1/13 8:39
Group:
Banned
The truth is that this is not one of our dogs at the Hudson County S_P_C_A. The Picture being used was never taken in our facility, nor do we even have like our dog runs at all. It is used to get you mad as HELL at us. The writer is very smart for the use of this picture. This is not one of the DOGS taken by JOE FRANK ?. None of our dogs look like THIS DOG. Yes, our dogs are in need?in need of homes.
YOU should have had a disclaimer that the picture was indeed NOT taken at the shelter, but was indicative of cruel treatment of animals in general
Plus there no one that Killed any Dog with a with a shovel, it appears the SPCA Being falsely accused agin BY the liers that Hate the people who work very hard so Here it is MR Joe Frank and Rev Carbajales are both meeting to try to stop the the false accusations The animals are be returned to the shelter once the shelter is able to provide evidence that they are affiliated with a Veterinarian, they have instituted a disease control program and that the Veterinarian will care for the sick animals that were confiscated which was done on the same day Joe toke Control of the DOGS go the the shelter and you will see that no animals are kept that way .Seeing the place is better then beliving in LIES... That why the dogs are being brought back to the SPCA and most of all is sad that most of you did not look in to finding out what really happen Rev carbajales got many death threats on his life but all so on his babys and wife

Posted on: 2008/1/13 8:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/1/13 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
How could anybody who hurt innocent animals that cannot speak for themselves. These poor little creatures can't protect themselves. And yet the SPCA of Jersey City is supposed to protect animals. These people should be locked up and mistreated the way they treat those poor little animals to see how they feel. Also, that shelter should be shut down and put out of business for good. People who abuse aminals are garbage people. I have a dog who I love to death and give him everything I can. He is my little prince and when I die, he will inherit all my money and I will make sure that someone will take care of him. The day I brought him home from the shelter, is the day he not only got a mommy but also has an extended family. He is the family's new baby and he is like a baby. Sweet, loving, soft, and innocent. He will always be my little baby.

Posted on: 2008/1/13 7:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The SPCA have a great website and always ask for money, they teach and have hand-outs on animal welfare and cruelty detection etc etc.................what a load of crap if they can't even manage their own facilities.

SHUT THE PLACE DOWN AND MAKE IT A NATIONAL MEDIA ISSUE - SHAME THE SIHT OUT OF THEM.

Posted on: 2008/1/12 12:44
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Yeah, what a crime!

Posted on: 2008/1/12 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
the perps should be beaten with a shovel

Posted on: 2008/1/12 4:50

ANIMAL CRUELTY AT THE HUDSON COUNTY SPCA -- at 480 Johnston Avenue, Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
www.hoboken411.com

1/11/2008

ANIMAL CRUELTY AT THE SPCA, HUDSON COUNTY NEW JERSEY.

Years after the SPCA at 480 Johnston Avenue, Jersey City, N.J. was investigated and charged for animal cruelty when a staff member beat a resident dog to death with a shovel, it appears the SPCA has not much improved.

This week, Jersey City Animal Control received several anonymous tips about very sick animals at the Jersey City shelter who were not receiving medical care. Control Officer Joe Frank called high ranking SPCA officer Carl Galioto to ask that the shelter be checked in upon and was assured by Mr. Galioto that he had visited the shelter this week and that all of the animals, and the facility, were in excellent condition.

A surprise visit on Wednesday, however, by the office of Animal Control and the Jersey City Health department, accompanied by members of the Police Department, turned up a different story altogether.

The facility was covered in what appeared to be weeks? worth of dog feces and at least 3 dogs were confiscated and brought to the Liberty Humane Center for immediate medical treatment. 2 of the animals suffered from severe malnourishment while the 3rd had a badly ulcerated eye which had gone untreated.

The incident leaves questions about conflicts of interest involved in an agency that polices itself and the qualifications of the Board of Directors, led by President, and Minister, Hector Carbajales of Union City, N.J., also a state certified animal control officer.

The animals will be returned to the shelter once the shelter is able to provide evidence that they are affiliated with a Veterinarian, they have instituted a disease control program and that the Veterinarian will care for the sick animals that were confiscated.

The Hudson County SPCA maintains animal control contracts with neighboring towns of Union City whose Mayor, Brian Stack, is a state Senator and also North Bergen, whose mayor Nicholas Sacco is also a state senator.

The Jersey City Animal Control office can be reached at 201-547-4888
The Jersey City Health Department can be reached at 201-547-6800
Board President, Minister Hector Carbajales can be reached at 201-435-3557

Posted on: 2008/1/12 2:45

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!