Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
31 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Club H Fitness
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I just went to renew my membership and the annual renewal is now $975 if paid in full - last year it was $899 and I remember paying $799 a few years ago. Not sure if this place is worth the price anymore - no A/C in the summer, lack of towels, no new equipment since it opened...

Posted on: 2013/8/26 19:48
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Club H is now Base Fitness:

To All of the Valued Members of Club H Jersey City, LLC:

Since inception, Club H has worked diligently toward providing personal attention to each member, striving to make you feel at home. From the beginning we were committed to becoming the preeminent neighborhood fitness facility, a place where the community comes together and strives toward a common goal: to get and stay in shape while having fun. We sought to provide expertise in personal training, customizing the program to fit the individual member's needs, as well as offering a variety of group fitness classes that all could enjoy. All of this and more we wanted to present in a stunning environment where each individual member could feel comfortable while having a unique experience. Unfortunately, it has become increasingly more challenging for us to continue to provide each of our Jersey City Club members with the highest level of service to which we had always been committed. For this reason, we actively pursued alternatives to bring to the members an organization that was committed to bringing a breath of fresh air and renewed vigor into the Club.

We are pleased to announce that we have found such an organization. We have sold all of the equipment and other personal property of Club H Jersey City, LLC to 100 Columbus Gym LLC who has engaged Base Fitness, LLC to manage the facility. With the purchase, 100 Columbus Gym, LLC has received an assignment of your membership agreements and has agreed to honor all prepaid memberships, personal training or spa sessions and gift certificates. Additionally, we have received assurances from the new organization that they are going to bring back the higher level of service and commitment to the members as originally envisioned. While it is disappointing that the Club H name will no longer grace Jersey City, we felt that it is important for you, our loyal members, to have a viable Club for this area, one which meets your needs and expectations. We think that you will find that with Base Fitness.

We are committed to make the transition from Club H to Base Fitness as seamless as possible, which includes a transfer of your membership and billing information to Base Fitness. You might have noticed that the Base Fitness Team has already had an ever increasing presence at the facility. The Base Fitness Team does request that the next time you are at the gym, you stop by the front desk and sign a new payment authorization for your credit card usage. Effective on the date of sale all of your billing charges will flow through and will be paid directly to the new organization.

Finally, we cannot thank you enough for the loyalty that you have shown to Club H and we are pleased with the fact that we have found a successor who will continue to meet and exceed your expectations! We encourage you to meet and talk with the Base Fitness Team to learn more about what they have to offer. Be on the lookout for their communications to you which will outline all of the exciting plans that they have for the future.

In Health,

Club H management and staff

Posted on: 2013/8/22 14:20
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Oh yeah - that would be nice : )

Posted on: 2013/7/17 14:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I hope air conditioning is one of the VAST improvements coming.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 14:50
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I was told by an employee that Hoboken Club H is being sold. JC Club H was purchased by an affiliate of the new development (now under construction) next door and will be renamed (Hoboken will retain the Club H name). I was also told to look out for VAST improvements in the coming weeks (let's hope!!).

Posted on: 2013/7/17 14:24
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Maise wrote:
For what it’s worth, I recently became a member at Club H (membership comes with living in 50 Columbus) and the person handling my registration said that “we should notice a lot of positive improvements in the next 4-6 weeks”. Who knows what that means, but it would seem that at least the employees of Club H don’t think there is an imminent shut down planned. Maybe they are going to be converted to a different operator or maybe funds from the Bankruptcy reorganization are being released to purchase new equipment.

The sales associates from NYSC are talking trash (or truth) about Club H. That may be the cause of the rumor.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 10:48
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe they will use some of their newfound funds to fix their piss poor excuse of a steam room.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 10:25
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
My hope would be either Equinox or Whole Foods would take over the space.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 10:10
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
For what it’s worth, I recently became a member at Club H (membership comes with living in 50 Columbus) and the person handling my registration said that “we should notice a lot of positive improvements in the next 4-6 weeks”. Who knows what that means, but it would seem that at least the employees of Club H don’t think there is an imminent shut down planned. Maybe they are going to be converted to a different operator or maybe funds from the Bankruptcy reorganization are being released to purchase new equipment.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 9:52
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Just randomly found out Blink Fitness is planning to open a JSQ club soon. Man, would've been awesome had they taken over the Club H spot. Anyone else got more info abt Blink? I've only been to the one in NoHo a few times (using a guest pass). Liked it overall (staff was cool, place was spotless), but the location was bad for me.

http://www.blinkfitness.com/Locations

Posted on: 2013/7/16 18:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
The space would make an ideal server farm.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 16:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I heard it's a Fairway

Posted on: 2013/7/16 16:05
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
It's such a huge space. I wonder what would take it's place.

Bob's Discount Furniture

Posted on: 2013/7/16 15:49
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
It's such a huge space. I wonder what would take it's place.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 15:37
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Wouldn't surprise me since they haven't been maintaining the gym in any way - the AC still stinks, no towels, equipment takes forever to repair, etc., etc...

Posted on: 2013/7/16 15:01
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
My buddy overheard two people on the train say that Club H is closing down sometime within the next few weeks.

Anyone hear about this or know if it's true?

Posted on: 2013/7/16 14:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
They really screwed me over when I left. They were sloppy in following up, or didn't follow up and miscommunicated with each other to the point I had to PROVE what one staff promised me vs. what another was telling me. They could have got me back if they were forthright and tried because that would have been a sign they were trying all around. But obviously no one had the energy to retain their key customers and when they dropped the ball? I left for good.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 8:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I believe that Club H is worth about $60 a month. I really wouldn't pay more than that without restoring it to what it was a few years ago. When I was there we were paying $110, which was high even then.
Club Metro doesn't have classes which disqualifies it for many people.

Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Club Metro is not at all convenient for me. Also, I understand it's on the small side. So even the lower price isn't attractive to me. What I like most about ClubH is all the natural sun light.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 7:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Club Metro is not at all convenient for me. Also, I understand it's on the small side. So even the lower price isn't attractive to me. What I like most about ClubH is all the natural sun light.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 7:26
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Didn't they spent like 15 million making the JC location? Maybe that was the first mistake. Although I think JC could have supported it had they not let it go to crap. I'm at club metro now which doesn't have all the amenities that Club H used to have but it also only cost $40 a month. $30+ 10 for towel service. Nice interior and very nice equipment.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 23:40
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think the partners are taking profits. I suspect they're losing money. The rent is pretty high there and there are all the additional costs associated with keeping the place up. I suspect that they really never pulled in enough members. Consequently, the points we all mentioned with regard to their slipping image are not going to help bring in new members. I liked the gym when I first joined. I hope they can pull themselves out of their hole.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 22:38
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Not surprising that they're filing - the place has been terrible of late - NO AC this entire week. They're pathetic.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 21:24
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad I didn't renew my annual membership when it expired in mid April. One of their reps actually called me, and try to sell me a "deal" at $799 for 12 months.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 21:22
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I agree that Club H has definitely slipped dramatically. However, I think many of the issues can be easily course corrected. Keeping the locker room's cleaner, and up to date, providing towels and ensuring the amenities are working and in good repair do not require overhauls. Also, the vast majority of the equipment does not need to be replaced. instead many of the benches need to be recovered, which is readily accomplished and often done at gyms. Purchasing some new stretching out mats is also an easy fix.
They have reduced membership dramatically since I first joined. Unfortunately, they opened at the beginning of the financial crash, which may have hindered their ability to keep up with the image they hoped to adopt. Still, they have a duty to their members and themselves to pull their act together. Frankly, I'm considering not renewing my membership, and securing a membership at the boxing gym over on Brunswick. It's closer and less expensive.

So agree. My family used to go there and buy a sandwich, fruit cup, shake at the food counter just to keep the habit going. We joined when they did the outdoor BBQ lunches - they even had local business people come by for lunch which I would imagine could have been a revenue source for them. If I was in a rush, I knew I could head to the gym and still eat a variety of fresh things from their food services. My wife used to come home with something she didn't need from the fitness clothing shop they had and she used the spa services on a regular basis. It helped to have child care for her. But then the hair dryers would be busted, the lotion disappeared, the tissues, the soap in the showers weren't filled or they reused old bottles that looked grungy. Hand made or printed 8x11 signs started to be taped everywhere reminding us of what would could and couldn't do - a sign of mismanagement when anyone can just tape ad hoc printed signs all over the place. The water with citrus was always a great touch and I'm not gonna lie, that to me was the sign things were going downhill when this is no longer in the locker room - how hard is it to slice a few oranges and lemons and put water in the lockers in the morning? My wife digged leaving the gym with her bottle full of the stuff and then it stopped happening.

The late showing teachers? A weird culture of acceptance that it's okay. I know these are all small picky things but they build to a an example of a bad business model of neglect and it's hard being in business myself to see something go so sideways when it could totally have kept people like my family and my neighbors and all the others I've talked to who aren't renewing. Are the partners taking the profits for their own benefits and not coming together to try and build the gym they branded in the first place? If there are no profits, have someone you already have hired be responsible for walking the property and ensuring it remains like the brand - take tacky taped 8x11 signage off the windows, get them laminated. Monitor the mats and when there's crap loads of other peoples hair on it, call over the cleaner, review the locker rooms to see if there is tissue (during flu season, smart move), working systems, locker doors are closed, towels off floor. Say hi the the people in the gym and HEAR them, people are bursting there to tell you what would have them stay. I wonder if the sales people are listening and saying to their members whose memberships are expiring, "We'd love to keep you and would love to hear what we need to do to keep you to stay." I guarantee it won't be money, it will be all the things that made this gym better than the others. I'll pay a premium if I'm getting that. But it seems Club H drops the ball at "I'm not renewing my membership". Why is there a mass exodus of people who've been with you for 4-6-8 years? Obviously they wanted what you were giving them and now you are losing your key accounts. And they are the ones who drew others to your place and they will be the ones talking to them about why they moved....it's going to get worse when memberships expire in the Spring if they don't really step up with a more strategic way to communicate honestly with customers - not on e-mail, in person.

Then I hope they tell the banks when they are convincing them they'll recover - what they did to lose the very loyal people like my family, my neighbors and their families - the deterioration of their brand did them in.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 21:04
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Yikes. Yes, bankruptcy can mean either they are trying to save the business or this is part of a process that may involve selling the real estate. I hope they stay! Excellent classes and teachers.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 20:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
They filed under Chapter 11 so they probably will not be closing the location. Chapter 11 is for businesses seeking to reorganize their debt and continue operating.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 15:45
I live by the river.
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Greenville/Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Whole Foods movin' in!

Not surprised, too many half ass gyms down there.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 15:24
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Whole Foods movin' in!

That would be a perfect location!