Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Where does North Jersey end and South Jersey begin?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 17:13
From Toms River
Group:
Registered Users
Garden State Parkway Exit 127 is where North Jersey begins, coming from the South. Going South from Exit 127 you are in Central Jersey, and you hit South Jersey once you hit South Toms River (Exit 80)

Posted on: 2021/3/5 16:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/17 21:15
Group:
Banned
I used to think it was the old 201-N / 609-S.

Too bad there are all these new area codes and overlays now.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
There are different accents for North, Southern, and Central Jersey.

Northern is influenced by New York City.
Southern is influenced by Philadelphia.
Central is its own thing. See "Clerks."

Posted on: 2010/1/31 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It ends right here in "Jersey" We are the only state in the U.S. of A. with the word New that can be replaced by a geographical location such as North, Central, and South. Try doing this with states such as York, Hampshire, and even Mexico with a passport. Prior to the American revolution New Jersey was divided east and west known as East Jersey and West Jersey. Explanation below excerpt from Wikipedia.
East Jersey, together with West Jersey, was a distinct, separately governed Province of New Jersey that existed for 28 years, between 1674 and 1702. Its capital was located at Perth Amboy. Determination of an exact location for a border between West Jersey and East Jersey was often a matter of dispute.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 9:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stellastar wrote:
having grown up in Princeton, my sense is that North Jersey begins at Edison and above and South Jersey begins at Trenton and below.. the middle being Central Jersey.. but, then, I am using Rt.1 corridor as my guide.. I've always loved that East and West stayed true to form with horse country on one side and beach livin' on the other.

I now live in South Jersey and all I can say is that it reminds me of when Central Jersey was still mostly farms. And, after living in Jersey City, is quite refreshing.

Living Princeton you should have the knowledge the south east part of this town are Philly fans the other part of town goes for the Mets. With this in mind I feel this is the "international dateline" of North & South Jersey. This was told to me from a resident of Princeton N.J.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 9:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/4 1:40
Group:
Registered Users
How about Spring Lake dummy.
Why does anyone listen about class from someone who has
the ultimate white trash boat as an avatar?

Get a Bertram, Viking or Hinckley and check back later.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I understand that affluence doesn't always beget class, but I still think that overall, North NJ has both more affluence and more "class" than Central NJ.

The only portions of Central NJ that really exude class, in my opinion, are the northern portions of Monmouth County (Rumson, Navesink, Fair Haven, Colts Neck, Holmdel), about 70% of Somerset County, and the immediate Princeton area.

In Northern NJ, you've got almost ALL of Bergen County north of Route 4, about 80% of Morris County, the entire western half of Essex County, and much of Union County like Westfield, Cranford, Summit, Scotch Plains, Berkley Heights, New Providence, etc ... all of those areas are beautiful and the people there are generally friendly and "classy" (ugh classy is a terrible word).

I went to high school in New Providence...Union county is definitely central jersey. Other CENTRAL jersey towns include Summit, Scotch Plains, Berkeley Heights, Watchung, Warren, Bedminster, Far Hills, Bernardsville, Gladstone, Pottersville, Tewksberry, Madison and Peapack.
North Jersey are Passaic, Bergen, Hudson, Essex and parts of Morris county.
Monmouth cty would definitely be lumped with South Jersey.

Look on a map and tell me that Essex, Morris, and Union are central NJ. That is hilarious.

Madison and Summit - central NJ??? LOL!!

As someone who went to high school in Cranford, Union County ... we considered ourselves NORTH JERSEY. Look on a map. Divide the state into 3 sections. Now tell me where those counties fall. All are in NORTH NJ.

Posted on: 2010/1/30 17:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/8 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
having grown up in Princeton, my sense is that North Jersey begins at Edison and above and South Jersey begins at Trenton and below.. the middle being Central Jersey.. but, then, I am using Rt.1 corridor as my guide.. I've always loved that East and West stayed true to form with horse country on one side and beach livin' on the other.

I now live in South Jersey and all I can say is that it reminds me of when Central Jersey was still mostly farms. And, after living in Jersey City, is quite refreshing.

Posted on: 2010/1/30 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Four regions.

South:
Draw a slightly curving line from White Horse to Island Beach State Park. The line should be north of White Horse and New Egypt but south of Toms River. South of that line is South Jersey.

Central:
Draw a line from Lambertville to where the Raritan River meets 287, and then follow 287/440? east to the Amboys area. Lambertville should be south of that line.

Stuff between the first line and that line is Central Jersey.

North:
Everything north of that Lambertville line is North Jersey.

Shore:
Then, follow the Parkway from the Amboys: towns on the Parkway or east of it are the Shore.

Posted on: 2010/1/30 14:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/2 4:24
Group:
Registered Users
The general rule is the north and south are divided by the "plumbstead line" In other words, due east and due west of New Egypt Twsp

Posted on: 2010/1/30 4:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Morris County as anything other than North Jersey is some effed up geography.

And if Monmouth County is South Jersey, then there is no Central.

http://www.censusfinder.com/mapnj.htm

Posted on: 2010/1/29 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I understand that affluence doesn't always beget class, but I still think that overall, North NJ has both more affluence and more "class" than Central NJ.

The only portions of Central NJ that really exude class, in my opinion, are the northern portions of Monmouth County (Rumson, Navesink, Fair Haven, Colts Neck, Holmdel), about 70% of Somerset County, and the immediate Princeton area.

In Northern NJ, you've got almost ALL of Bergen County north of Route 4, about 80% of Morris County, the entire western half of Essex County, and much of Union County like Westfield, Cranford, Summit, Scotch Plains, Berkley Heights, New Providence, etc ... all of those areas are beautiful and the people there are generally friendly and "classy" (ugh classy is a terrible word).

I went to high school in New Providence...Union county is definitely central jersey. Other CENTRAL jersey towns include Summit, Scotch Plains, Berkeley Heights, Watchung, Warren, Bedminster, Far Hills, Bernardsville, Gladstone, Pottersville, Tewksberry, Madison and Peapack.
North Jersey are Passaic, Bergen, Hudson, Essex and parts of Morris county.
Monmouth cty would definitely be lumped with South Jersey.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
No way! Somerset County does not belong in the red part!
You can't just OMIT central jersey. That's one of the few parts that gives this state class.

I disagree. While much of Central NJ does indeed have "class" (I hate that word by the way), MORE of Northern NJ has "class", in my opinion.

Much of Bergen (particularly Northern Bergen County), Morris, Essex and Union Counties are very, very affluent.

Ah and that's because Morris, Essex and Union Counties are CENTRAL jersey. Ask anyone who lives there what part of jersey they belong to, they will concur.
Add Somerset and Hunterdon to that and you've got a winner.

Bergen is for the trashy nouveau riche housewives of NJ. (Upper Saddle River aside)

Posted on: 2010/1/29 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/29 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Affluence does not always beget class.

There are sections of South Jersey where, if I didn't already know where I was, I would have sworn it was Alabama. From the Nascar and rebel flags on the porch, to the pies cooling in the windows, to the Bible quotes on the front yard.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
You can't just OMIT central jersey. That's one of the few parts that gives this state class.

I disagree. While much of Central NJ does indeed have "class" (I hate that word by the way), MORE of Northern NJ has "class", in my opinion.

Much of Bergen (particularly Northern Bergen County), Morris, Essex and Union Counties are very, very affluent.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 15:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/3 15:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HMFIC wrote:
North Jersey= North of Discroll Bridge (Raritan River)

Central Jersey= Raritan River to Route 195

South Jersey= South of Route 195

agreed!!! I would say central jersey ends after monmouth county and south jersey starts at ocean county.

It's amazing how different each area of nj is even inside that area a lot of the towns have totally different vibes even for such a small state. A lot of out of state people don't get why many NJ people think there is a south, central, and north jersey, but they really are quite different.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/29 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
That map is pretty funny. Only in NJ would the northernmost point be considered a southern part.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I would say Ocean County below Seaside & Toms River and below Mercer County which is at the western bend of the state. It's safe to say anything with a 609 area code can be considered South Jersey. That green and red map has it all wrong.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
On either side of Central Jersey, of course.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 1:04
I live by the river.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/29 0:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/18 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
North Jersey= North of Discroll Bridge (Raritan River)

Central Jersey= Raritan River to Route 195

South Jersey= South of Route 195

Posted on: 2010/1/28 23:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up in "southern jersey" in Camden County.

I do know that if you go to like Cumberland County/pennsville, Salem, Millville... down there by the Delaware Memorial Bridge, they will laugh at you if you are from Camden County and say you are from south jersey. To them, camden county, philly etc. might as well be New York or Boston.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The WaWa / Quickcheck also is fairly reliable. Quickcheck only counties are North Jersey, WaWa only counties are South Jersey, and counties with both QuickCheck and Wawa are central.

Another line of demarkation is 78 and route 1; north of 78 is North Jersey, south of route 1 is South Jersey, and in between or touching either road is central. (alternately, the southern border could also be 195. Technically, this makes more sense since 195 is east west and the north-south route 1 is on a diagonal between the Raritan and Trenton. But its a diagonal that divides the state in a meaningful way, since south east of route 1 is basically the beginning of the shore, a decidedly south Jersey feature)

Posted on: 2010/1/28 21:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/12 0:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
the wawa/7-11 and eagles/giants fan demarcations are great measuring sticks, and coincide very closely. i'm gonna say that there is about a fifteen-mile DMZ that extends from lambertville to rumson on the northern edge and bordentown to belmar on the southern edge.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
why is it that bergen county people always say they're from bergen county rather than the town? no other county does it.
Quote:
LOL - it's so annoying how people from Bergen County literally think that North Jersey = just Bergen County. Everybody I know from Bergen County thinks this way. It's REALLY irritating to me for some reason.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
South Jersey begins exactly on the street where Giants fans start becoming Eagles fans.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
It depends on where you're from. I've heard people from Bergen County tell me they have to leave JC to go "back to North Jersey." To them, Bergen County alone is North Jersey. I have relatives in Burlington County who refer to places like Freehold and Edison as North Jersey.

As someone who didn't grow up in NJ, I'd say North Jersey includes the counties of Bergen, Passaic, Sussex, Warren, Morris, Essex, Hudson, Union. Central includes Middlesex, Somerset, Hunterdon, Mercer, Monmouth. South includes Ocean, Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Atlantic, Salem, Cumberland and Cape May.

LOL - it's so annoying how people from Bergen County literally think that North Jersey = just Bergen County. Everybody I know from Bergen County thinks this way. It's REALLY irritating to me for some reason.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
As someone who didn't grow up in NJ, I'd say North Jersey includes the counties of Bergen, Passaic, Sussex, Warren, Morris, Essex, Hudson, Union. Central includes Middlesex, Somerset, Hunterdon, Mercer, Monmouth. South includes Ocean, Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Atlantic, Salem, Cumberland and Cape May.

I did grow up in NJ (Monmouth County) and agree with this exactly.

Some people do not think that there is a "Central Jersey", but I definitely do. If I had to draw a dividing line between north and south, it would be the Monmouth-Ocean and Mercer-Burlington borders.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 13:49

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017